Should I do my PCT training at Everest?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

Hope in Miami, Florida

61 months ago

Alot of people badmouth Everest, including me. I've been saying I would never pay 12-15k to enroll at a program with such a dubious reputation. I've also heard sometimes they don't teach you what you really need to know to become certified in your chosen field and that scares me even more than the cost. I am an advocate of going to publicly funded schools over private, for-profit schools, but now I find myself in a situation where Everest is my desperate last option.

I am planning on moving to an area where it is difficult to find CNA work without training in EKG/Phlebotomy. Ironically, it seems hard to find any schools close to where I will be living that actually offer this kind of training. To the best of my knowledge hospitals there don't do on-the-job training. There are at least half a dozen state-funded schools that provide that kind of training where I live now, but every last one of those schools only offer fulltime day classes and I work in the daytime. Everest offers evening classes so it looks as if this is my last resort only option.

I've heard lots of negative things about Everest, but nothing in regards to their PCT program so I don't know how bad or how good it is. Does anyone have any opinions or information?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

thickhips25 in Orlando, Florida

61 months ago

just wanted to let you know that I am a cna and I applied and now work at florida hospital and they trained me in EKG/Phlebotomy and in the hospital I am classified as a PCT II, so if you are a cna I would call the different hospitals in your area or try to ask some of the pct's at the hosptials to see if they had to be a pct or were they cna's that were trained to be pct.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

thickhips25 in Orlando, Florida

61 months ago

Hope in Miami, Florida said: Alot of people badmouth Everest, including me. I've been saying I would never pay 12-15k to enroll at a program with such a dubious reputation. I've also heard sometimes they don't teach you what you really need to know to become certified in your chosen field and that scares me even more than the cost. I am an advocate of going to publicly funded schools over private, for-profit schools, but now I find myself in a situation where Everest is my desperate last option.

I am planning on moving to an area where it is difficult to find CNA work without training in EKG/Phlebotomy. Ironically, it seems hard to find any schools close to where I will be living that actually offer this kind of training. To the best of my knowledge hospitals there don't do on-the-job training. There are at least half a dozen state-funded schools that provide that kind of training where I live now, but every last one of those schools only offer fulltime day classes and I work in the daytime. Everest offers evening classes so it looks as if this is my last resort only option.

I've heard lots of negative things about Everest, but nothing in regards to their PCT program so I don't know how bad or how good it is. Does anyone have any opinions or information?

Hope in Miami,

just wanted to let you know that I am a cna and I applied and now work at florida hospital and they trained me in EKG/Phlebotomy and in the hospital I am classified as a PCT II, so if you are a cna I would call the different hospitals in your area or try to ask some of the pct's at the hosptials to see if they had to be a pct or were they cna's that were trained to be pct.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

stephanie in Kansas City, Missouri

57 months ago

thickhips25 in Orlando, Florida said: Hope in Miami,

be careful at a private college after 1 year of going to school I find myself having to drop out because my student loans wont cover all the cost and because of that they expect me to pay $480 a month plus the cost of my books to keep going. Brown Mackie is a great school to go to if 1. you are very wealthy or 2. you do not work in order to have the pell grants kick in. Unfort I was raised that I need to work as long as possible and so I have a full time, part time job

joshuajroberts in Ashtabula, Ohio

52 months ago

This is a growing field and yet I have found it very difficult to find a reputable institution to attend for hemodialysis technician training in Ohio. Owens community college, the largest community college in Northwest Ohio is considering offering a hemodialysis program but will need a minimum level of interest before they will offer the program. Is anyone else interested in hemodialysis technician training in Northwest Ohio?

Delores in Concord, California

51 months ago

Hope in Miami, Florida said: Alot of people badmouth Everest, including me. I've been saying I would never pay 12-15k to enroll at a program with such a dubious reputation. I've also heard sometimes they don't teach you what you really need to know to become certified in your chosen field and that scares me even more than the cost. I am an advocate of going to publicly funded schools over private, for-profit schools, but now I find myself in a situation where Everest is my desperate last option.

Yes,try adult education schools they charge half the price and have flexible schedules for the working adults.

guest in Jackson, Michigan

42 months ago

Having first hand experience and knowledge of Everest.....can warn people save your money and go somewhere else. They have such a bad reputation that you can't get a job after being a student of theirs. Owe the money but their reputation hurts you. The class environment is very unprofessional. They give a poor representation in clinicals. Once you are in, you are out the money and you will be lucky to finish their program much less get a job. They are really bad. They have heard the complaints and do nothing to correct it. They get your money and you are SOL.

42 months ago

Beware of Everest. Very bad school. Very bad reputation. Over-priced. Most places won't hire you from them because they have a bad reputation in their clinicals.

Very unprofessional teachers and settings. Lots of students lost their butts owing loans to them and getting screwed. It is so unprofessional, you are lucky to make it through the class but even if you do, no one will hire you because their classes leave a bad reputation in clinicals. So being a part of that school will cost you and you won't get a job.

42 months ago

Also learned that this $14k price for Everest turns out to be more than $16k owed by student after financial aide. Very unprofessional setting and the school knows and is aware and has done nothing to address it. Hospitals that have experienced them through clinicals do not hire due to their poor representation during clinicals. Lots of money to pay out and be affiliated with such a poor reputation. Unfortunately, they get the business because of their evening and weekend classes but be warned that you might be out of a lot of money without the career or even being able to graduate because of the unprofessional behaviors.

megg3 in Riverside, California

42 months ago

If u live around california and planning on taking PCT.. try searching dialysis training institute, of trianfordialysis.com, its 6k for only 4 months.. its half the price than everest.

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

42 months ago

Just like any school, check them out first.

Candy in Perris, California

42 months ago

megg3 in Riverside, California said: If u live around california and planning on taking PCT.. try searching dialysis training institute, of trianfordialysis.com, its 6k for only 4 months.. its half the price than everest.

Do you know anyone who completed this course with them (trainfordialysis.com)and has gotten hired?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

megg3 in Whittier, California

42 months ago

Candy in Perris, California said: Do you know anyone who completed this course with them (trainfordialysis.com)and has gotten hired?

I am actually in their program right now, i just started last february and I am about to do my training at Davita Dialysis. At the place I am doing my training if they like me at the end they can end up hiring me. The school does not help the student to find jobs, but its a cheap school compare to 12 -15 k, its a small school but u still might want to check it out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

charmaine in Des Plaines, Illinois

41 months ago

Try Jethro Healthcare School. I am one of their graduates and they helped me find a job. The tuition fee is low less than 2K and I heard they will also open the Advanced Dialysis Course for Peritoneal and Cannulation.

shannon in Tampa, Florida

40 months ago

dont go to uma they charge 14k and u still have to pay $150 for exam i am cna now but u need experience to get in hospitals they r a rip off

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

shannon in Tampa, Florida

40 months ago

Dont go to UMA because they charge 14k and u r a CNA until u take the exam which is $150 but u need experience before u can get a job im working n home health
its a rip off plus after they want u to get associates degree for $27k omg

ovita monde in Orlando, Florida

27 months ago

Candy in Perris, California said: Do you know anyone who completed this course with them (trainfordialysis.com)and has gotten hired?

I'm very disappointed, because I have 12 years of experience as a cna and I can't find a job in Orlando Florida. Especially African Americans, not even walmart will hire us, they only hire spanish speaking persons to be there employees. That is not fair for someone to go to school and train to have a job, paying large amounts of money to get a etter job but you can't find better jobs because they mostly choose hispanics to work for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

27 months ago

ovita monde in Orlando, Florida said: I'm very disappointed, because I have 12 years of experience as a cna and I can't find a job in Orlando Florida. Especially African Americans, not even walmart will hire us, they only hire spanish speaking persons to be there employees. That is not fair for someone to go to school and train to have a job, paying large amounts of money to get a etter job but you can't find better jobs because they mostly choose hispanics to work for them.

They don't tell you that when you sign up for classes. My niece is an MA and she says, if you don't speak Spanish, it next to impossible to find a job in that field.

When you search on keywords put this in "CNA and not bilingual". You will eliminate 90% of all the jobs but at least it won't be a complete waste of time.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.