Starting a Personal Assistant/Concierge Business

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

treybum2 in Columbia, South Carolina

69 months ago

I just checked out a book from my library. Check your library's catalogue--there's probably something there. I will say I haven't had much luck finding anything on the internet. Folks don't like to share their secrets!

The book I have is called "Start your own Personal Concierge Service" and it's one of those Entrepreneur books (no author).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

TreyInColumbia.1MnthAgo_Feb09

68 months ago

When would i see you again?! - i'm here in the area till April...
*ideas 2 conv3rge on... ema

treybum2 in Columbia, South Carolina said: I just checked out a book from my library. Check your library's catalogue--there's probably something there. I will say I haven't had much luck finding anything on the internet. Folks don't like to share their secrets!

The book I have is called "Start your own Personal Concierge Service" and it's one of those Entrepreneur books (no author).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

pvero in Denver, Colorado

68 months ago

TreyInColumbia.1MnthAgo_Feb09 said: When would i see you again?! - i'm here in the area till April...
*ideas 2 conv3rge on... ema

Yes, I found this book a couple of weeks ago. It has great ideas in it. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alfred Holston in Monee, Illinois

65 months ago

What a wonderful but not new idea. One twist of that which my company has done is aservice at the corporate headquarters for employees who are too busy to shop. They have now expanded it into a commericial business, mygofer.com. You might consider reaching out to some local companies and offering your service to their employees. The company might pay you or the employees could. many of us are so busy we would gladly pay someone else to shop for us, take the car in for service, etc. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sktucker in Chatfield, Minnesota

63 months ago

Looking for info on how to start this business. What do you charge? By the hour or by the job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nblistings in Spring Valley, New York

62 months ago

I started my own personal assistant business. Its an llc in NY and the website is www.nblrs.com. I am looking for qualified professional assistants. I need assistants for child care, household cleaners, estate managers, personal shoppers, wardrobe consultants. Service areas will include Westchester, Rockland, Orange, and Sullivan Counties. Will expand in a few months. Please email resume and cover letter to careers@nblrs.com

How do I get corporations to add my services as a benefit to employees?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Portage, Indiana

61 months ago

Thanks so much for your suggestion. The timing was perfect!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ross in London, United Kingdom

60 months ago

There's a few websites out there with informative articles from people that have their own personal assistant business already. Or even better, search for "personal assistant (city where you live)" in Google and get in contact with someone for advice about what services they offer etc. I did a search for "personal assistant exeter" and the first result that appeared www.essentialpa.co.uk ended up being pretty helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Girl Friday in Rowlett, Texas

53 months ago

pvero in Lafayette, Colorado said: I would like to start a personal assistant business. I am looking for someone who could give me tips on how they got started. Should I become an LLC? How do you advertise? Do you charge hourly or by the job? Did you get bonded? I will create my own website but who should I register through. Thanks so much, I would appreciate any insight you all may have.

I have used a few of these type services and I was chged by the hour, unless I wanted an ongoing weekly,bi-weekly or monthly rate. then it was a flat rate given. Depending on where you live ( cost of living for your city)I would say $17.00 is reasonable in Dallas,TX for example. You have to buy the right to your business name, you should get bonded if you will be dealing with that type of liabilty. Also, the last company I used chge more when they had to transport my pet- like an additional $5-10 bucks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bobby Dumas in Henderson, Nevada

44 months ago

pvero in Lafayette, Colorado said: I would like to start a personal assistant business. I am looking for someone who could give me tips on how they got started. Should I become an LLC? How do you advertise? Do you charge hourly or by the job? Did you get bonded? I will create my own website but who should I register through. Thanks so much, I would appreciate any insight you all may have.

I have been a live in personal assistant/companion for many years, and have references, how should i advertise?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

stephen in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

43 months ago

i would love to do things for people but i want to do it big. If they got me a really nice luxury car to drive around to do them favors and w.e els they need or want. But get paid 50-65k a year. i would travel as far as i have to as well. i work in a hospital now maken $20 an hour and i would love to just do this. It would be great i would have a good time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in United Kingdom

41 months ago

stephen in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: i would love to do things for people but i want to do it big. If they got me a really nice luxury car to drive around to do them favors and w.e els they need or want. But get paid 50-65k a year. i would travel as far as i have to as well. i work in a hospital now maken $20 an hour and i would love to just do this. It would be great i would have a good time.

I would like to offer you the best opportunity ever. Do you like to work for an international trade company? it gives you high salary among with lots and lots of traveling and else. email me at nic_mc@world-of-energy-co.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Harmonie in Houghton Lake, Michigan

37 months ago

All of my clients use Triangle Concierge, read The Concierge Manual - www.triangleconcierge.com/concierge-products/books/the-concierge-manual/ or bought the home study course from Triangle Concierge. If you're already experienced, they will consult with you for marketing or whatever you need. They are the experts in this field, hands down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rose in Brussels, Belgium

37 months ago

Tous mes clientes et mes clients utilisent la conciergerie privée www.un-concierge-a-paris.com lors de leur voyage en France. Ils ont une très bonne assistante qui est toujours disponibles dès qu'ils en ont besoin. très satisfaits il ne me parle que de celle ci! Une expérience sur le terrain depuis deux ans et de bonnes critiques de mes expatriés.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Becca in Tyler, Texas

34 months ago

Im someone that has always managed to make money helping others run there day to day arrons and would like to make it a career, I feel like this is something that I'm good at anyone have any ideas how to start traffic to a wed site so I can get this thing rolling? I has have a way with travel its easy for me and love to do it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

lovelymitten12345 in Jasper, Alabama

32 months ago

Don't become a personal assistant.

I was one once and could not handle it for more than 2 months. I actually enjoyed my retail job WAY better.

I worked as a photographer's assistant, and I thought my job would consist of managing the studio, editing photos and assisting at photo shoots. The job description did not consist of taking care of a pet while my boss was away, paying multiple bills, opening numerous envelopes and sorting mail.. basically anything my boss disliked doing was my responsibility.

Saying I was verbally abused is an understatement. My boss was a time bomb, and I had no idea what would set him off. I recall one time being instructed to find a file titled "photo sources" I typed it in the computer's search bar and about 50 files with this name comes up. I asked him " there are 50 folders with this name, which one is it". "You have to figure it out" was his response. He waited on the phone with me for about 10 minutes as I was trying to find it, and yelled at me for not being able to see it and called me incompetent. I can't tell you how many times this sort of scenario has happened where I was told to look for something, and because of (HIS) disorganization in the office was unable to see it and got chewed up for it.

On top of this, I have been patronized/yelled at/abused for charging batteries incorrectly, using photoshop's clone stamp incorrectly, and missing "deadlines" (which were vague emails with vague instructions forwarded me from my boss with little to no instruction on how to do it). I was not encourage to ask questions but to "figure it out myself". If I did ask a question, his answer would be ringing with sarcastic overtones. He was bipolar and one day would chew me out for the smallest mistake, and the next day buy me lunch and sweet talk me. It was like being in an abusive relationship. There was no doubt he was trying to manipulate me to stay and I am more than thrilled to have caught on to the abuse and left the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

davidrtwissjr in Atlanta, Georgia

31 months ago

nblistings in Spring Valley, New York said: I started my own personal assistant business. Its an llc in NY and the website is www.nblrs.com . I am looking for qualified professional assistants. I need assistants for child care, household cleaners, estate managers, personal shoppers, wardrobe consultants. Service areas will include Westchester, Rockland, Orange, and Sullivan Counties. Will expand in a few months. Please email resume and cover letter to careers@nblrs.com

How do I get corporations to add my services as a benefit to employees?

Easy! Create a proposal, solicit Office Managers and go at it.

An idea from a Professional Personal Assistant, go to local large community complexes: upscale apartments, condos, subdivisions, and the like, to offer your services to the resident’s through/via/because of their rental agreement/purchasing agreement. Offer the "complex" a list of services that you will easily be able to perform for the community residents. Offer the service at a very low rate to the management group as a onetime freebee for tenants/homeowners/etc. You will be sure to have repeat business from the management groups. You will have minimum return from residents BUT you will have a return. Good luck! Feel free to see my professional fb page: David R. Twiss Jr (Personal Assistant or Business Person). Also, feel free to contact me via email: davidrtwissjr@yahoo.com. I would like to continue this conversation and perhaps use each other as a sounding board for such ideas. Best regards, David.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

lydiawiensch in Oshkosh, Wisconsin

11 months ago

davidrtwissjr in Atlanta, Georgia said: Easy! Create a proposal, solicit Office Managers and go at it.

An idea from a Professional Personal Assistant, go to local large community complexes: upscale apartments, condos, subdivisions, and the like, to offer your services to the resident’s through/via/because of their rental agreement/purchasing agreement. Offer the "complex" a list of services that you will easily be able to perform for the community residents. Offer the service at a very low rate to the management group as a onetime freebee for tenants/homeowners/etc. You will be sure to have repeat business from the management groups. You will have minimum return from residents BUT you will have a return. Good luck! Feel free to see my professional fb page: David R. Twiss Jr (Personal Assistant or Business Person). Also, feel free to contact me via email: davidrtwissjr@yahoo.com. I would like to continue this conversation and perhaps use each other as a sounding board for such ideas. Best regards, David.

Just the type of information I am looking for..I would like to provide a variety of services along with some housekeeping/meal preparation. I am also an RN so I would think this could be marketable to 55 and older complexes..I was also thinking of advertising via newspaper, business cards etc...any other suggestions?
Thank you in advance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.