is being a personal banker a good career move financially

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (42)

riscott in Tyler, Texas

52 months ago

Hi,
I'm moving from Dallas to Phoenix soon to be with my fiance. I've been the finance director of a Ford dealership the last few years, but want to get out of the car business due to slow business and long hours (about 65 hours per week). I've been making $42,000 plus commission (which is another $1000 or so per month), and that amount of money isn't really enough to make a good living. I've been offered Personal Banker positions at both Chase Bank and Bank of America. I understand the base salary will be much lower but I am curious to see how much I would make in commissions??? I feel like making a little less money may be worth it if I am working only 40 hours/week. How many hours should I expect to work a week??? Does anyone know if Bank of America's commissions are capped at a certain amount??? To be honest, being in the car business has gotten me used to trying to cram products down customer's throats, so I don't really have a problem with that. I'm sure my sales would be great if I took the job, but reading these posts have me thinking that I there just isn't much money in this career choice. I have a few years of sales and finance experience, and got my business degree at Texas Tech. Does anyone have any advice or recommendations for me? I'm not sure what bank to work for, if either. Thank you for your input, and sorry about the length of this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (64) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

The Realist in Shelbyville, Kentucky

50 months ago

Magicmaker in Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania said: Wells Fargo is possibly the worst company I have ever worked for. The base pay is low, and the expectations are absolutely ridiculous. They make it nearly impossible to earn the commissions they promise. There is a good reason they have traning classes once a month - it's a revolving door position. There is absolutely no upside to working here. Management doesn't respect your personal life - They will hire you from M-F, 8-5, with "occasional" nights and weekends. Then once you're stuck they mandate work every Saturday and then spring "call nights" (telemarketing!) until 9pm with no notice. No matter how well you do with sales, they want more blood. If you're happy having no personal life, making low pay, and pushing high-fee accounts down the throats of senior citizens on SSI and high school students, then this is the job for you!

Very well said!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Rosario in Maplewood, New Jersey

49 months ago

Does anyone know which bank is the best to apply as a personal banker?, Who pays the most and who pays the worst in NJ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

mimi in Berkeley, California

49 months ago

Do not work for Wells Fargo, it is the worst place ever! I worked there before, my life was just too miserable. Never is good enough!!! You do good, they want more, and the way they structure the commission, you can really never get it. You are not human being, you are a machine! Do something else. Plus, for the people still have coscience, do not touch this dirty job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

La Shawn Thompson in Pasadena, California

46 months ago

Wow! I have been selected to attend a group interview next week for Wells Fargo. I have seen many forms about being a PB. It seems like many do not like Wells Fargo. Is there anyone out there that has a good comment to say about Wells Fargo? The phone interview for me was very good! I was talking to a real person! Someone who wanted to find out about me vs passing a test.

I just want to hear some good comments about Wells Fargo. It's easy for someone to post a bad review. Usually, when something goes wrong people post to vent and a target some revenge. Thank you for that information! That is good to know. And I do understand. But before that moment of stress, you had the job for some period of time. What was good? How long did that last? Did you learn some good information? Where you spoiled? Again, I'm feeling good about the thought of becoming a Personal Banker and using this as a tool to move up and advance inside the financial industry. What happened and how did it go bad? Why was it good for you? (at the time LOL!)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

John Kite in Dallas, Texas

45 months ago

La Shawn Thompson in Pasadena, California said: Wow! I have been selected to attend a group interview next week for Wells Fargo. I have seen many forms about being a PB. It seems like many do not like Wells Fargo. Is there anyone out there that has a good comment to say about Wells Fargo? The phone interview for me was very good! I was talking to a real person! Someone who wanted to find out about me vs passing a test.

I just want to hear some good comments about Wells Fargo. It's easy for someone to post a bad review. Usually, when something goes wrong people post to vent and a target some revenge. Thank you for that information! That is good to know. And I do understand. But before that moment of stress, you had the job for some period of time. What was good? How long did that last? Did you learn some good information? Where you spoiled? Again, I'm feeling good about the thought of becoming a Personal Banker and using this as a tool to move up and advance inside the financial industry. What happened and how did it go bad? Why was it good for you? (at the time LOL!)

Wells Fargo is managed by Community Presidents, District Managers, and Store Managers. They have autonomy how they manage their respective stores and many position it relative to execution of the incentive plan.

In some markets, meeting the incentive program is a requirement, while in others it's a goal (big difference). In markets where making the inventive program is a requirement, it's a tough balance between servicing the customer and selling the solutions to existing and new customers. At the end of the day, it's a job. You will get a paycheck for the hours worked - don't expect anything more. If you meet the incentive plans at the highest levels or have a management sponsor, you will have the ability to move up. However, the high pressure metric monitoring continues up the the ladder in many customer facing positions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Trigger in Denver, Colorado

42 months ago

I think that all people who complaining about Wells Fargo are just whole bunch of crying babies who doesnt know how to handle a job. Only unsuccessful people complain. Every job has bad moments, but theres a good moments as well. Wells Fargo is great company to work for. Its huge company and u have many many opportunities to move up. Before applying for WellsFargo jobs think clearly what u like to do. If u dont like customer service and sales - just DO NOT apply for such jobs. The ones who enjoys sales do really good. I started as a teller and i became personal banker with 5 months and now im going for assistant branch manager position. Everything within a year!!! Piece of cake.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (40) Reply - Report abuse

kim08

41 months ago

Trigger in Denver, Colorado said: I think that all people who complaining about Wells Fargo are just whole bunch of crying babies who doesnt know how to handle a job. Only unsuccessful people complain. Every job has bad moments, but theres a good moments as well. Wells Fargo is great company to work for. Its huge company and u have many many opportunities to move up. Before applying for WellsFargo jobs think clearly what u like to do. If u dont like customer service and sales - just DO NOT apply for such jobs. The ones who enjoys sales do really good. I started as a teller and i became personal banker with 5 months and now im going for assistant branch manager position. Everything within a year!!! Piece of cake.

Can you give some info on the training for a PB? Do you go ssomewhere for tarining or is the training done in the store where you will be working? Any info on the training would be appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

The Hammer in Loveland, Colorado

41 months ago

Trigger,

Are you bi-lingual?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

The Hammer in Loveland, Colorado

41 months ago

kim08 said: Can you give some info on the training for a PB? Do you go ssomewhere for tarining or is the training done in the store where you will be working? Any info on the training would be appreciated!

Training usually takes place a training facility in your market. The length of training varies.

As Trigger noted, if you are applying for a customer facing position you should be ready for high expectation in sales quotas on a daily basis.

In some branches, you will be more successful on meeting daily solution selling if you are bilingual.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Roger Dodger in Loveland, Colorado

41 months ago

Trigger in Denver, Colorado said: I think that all people who complaining about Wells Fargo are just whole bunch of crying babies who doesnt know how to handle a job. Only unsuccessful people complain. Every job has bad moments, but theres a good moments as well. Wells Fargo is great company to work for. Its huge company and u have many many opportunities to move up. Before applying for WellsFargo jobs think clearly what u like to do. If u dont like customer service and sales - just DO NOT apply for such jobs. The ones who enjoys sales do really good. I started as a teller and i became personal banker with 5 months and now im going for assistant branch manager position. Everything within a year!!! Piece of cake.

Interesting how a person can claim that he/she is being promoted so rapidly without explaining what happen to the people from him/her? Sounds like burn and churn operation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jeanine in Reno, Nevada

41 months ago

Magicmaker in Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania said: Wells Fargo is possibly the worst company I have ever worked for. The base pay is low, and the expectations are absolutely ridiculous. They make it nearly impossible to earn the commissions they promise. There is a good reason they have traning classes once a month - it's a revolving door position. There is absolutely no upside to working here. Management doesn't respect your personal life - They will hire you from M-F, 8-5, with "occasional" nights and weekends. Then once you're stuck they mandate work every Saturday and then spring "call nights" (telemarketing!) until 9pm with no notice. No matter how well you do with sales, they want more blood. If you're happy having no personal life, making low pay, and pushing high-fee accounts down the throats of senior citizens on SSI and high school students, then this is the job for you!

Do not, I repeat do not work for this company. They are evil, evil evil! A lady that has spent five years working for them, finally got to the point where she would bonus. They walked her out the door, stating that she was gaming ,which is cheating. Then they recanted and stated that she did not give proper attention to her customers and was lacking "benefit" words which are required for sales. This was done so they did not have to pay her the one thousand dollar bonus she was entitled to. They are now monitoring every single call and will harrass you from the time you enter the building to the time you go home about little things you did not do which was expected of you. Then when you finally do go above and beyond and make 9 grand a month for these greedy pigs they fire you and blackball you so you can not get another job where you need to be bonded. Stay far far away from these thugs!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

annonymous in Saint Paul, Minnesota

40 months ago

Jeanine in Reno, Nevada said: Do not, I repeat do not work for this company. They are evil, evil evil! A lady that has spent five years working for them, finally got to the point where she would bonus. They walked her out the door, stating that she was gaming ,which is cheating. Then they recanted and stated that she did not give proper attention to her customers and was lacking "benefit" words which are required for sales. This was done so they did not have to pay her the one thousand dollar bonus she was entitled to. They are now monitoring every single call and will harrass you from the time you enter the building to the time you go home about little things you did not do which was expected of you. Then when you finally do go above and beyond and make 9 grand a month for these greedy pigs they fire you and blackball you so you can not get another job where you need to be bonded. Stay far far away from these thugs!

It took 5 years for this lady to bonus? Wow, that took a long time! Your story is bs because $1000 is more than you can make in one quarter for sales.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Steven in Sylmar, California

36 months ago

FYI- I worked for Wells Fargo for 5 years after working for BofA for 9 years and its true. WELLS FARGO SUCKS!!!!! People who are saying good things are the ones who probably blow their managers everyday to go up in the company. It's not that people are crybabys, it's that they know it's a job not worth putting your life and energy since the commission sucks. People in Wells practically sell their souls to the devil and if you dont beleive me go on YouTube and type "district manager meeting". People who have worked their put nothing but the truth on the comments and if that dosent open your eyes then good luck getting your vision back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

giraffe in Danville, California

36 months ago

Steven in Sylmar, California said: FYI- I worked for Wells Fargo for 5 years after working for BofA for 9 years and its true. WELLS FARGO SUCKS!!!!! People who are saying good things are the ones who probably blow their managers everyday to go up in the company. It's not that people are crybabys, it's that they know it's a job not worth putting your life and energy since the commission sucks. People in Wells practically sell their souls to the devil and if you dont beleive me go on YouTube and type "district manager meeting". People who have worked their put nothing but the truth on the comments and if that dosent open your eyes then good luck getting your vision back.

You are right. I couldn't agree more. this is the truth with your years of experience and mine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

WF Newbie in Georgia

35 months ago

I'm brand new to Wells Fargo, but I've been in the banking business for eight years, and all banks are in business to make money....period. You know when you get hired the pay, bonus potential, and sales requirements. If you're willing to do the work, it will pay off...no matter what line of business you are in. And if Wells Fargo was such a bad company, they wouldn't be consistently recognized by Forbes, Working Women, Diversity, etc.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

to tell the truth in Florida

35 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sleep in Gainesville, Florida

34 months ago

Roger Dodger in Loveland, Colorado said: Interesting how a person can claim that he/she is being promoted so rapidly without explaining what happen to the people from him/her? Sounds like burn and churn operation.

ANSWER, crappy employees get let go. PERIOD. If you put in 100% effort and are good at what you do, you will never get "let go", employees that are laid off are in a different category. Either way, I have worked at many sales jobs, people that are lazy, unsuccessful, and have poor attitudes either quit or get "let go". And they never take responsibility for their actions when they do, they always say that "he/she (manager) didn't like me". They always cause drama and talk smack, companies are better off without them. Are you one of these people "Rodger Dodger"?? Because you sure sound like it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

C3 in Chino Hills, California

33 months ago

From what I hear a lot of PBs are wanting to move to Chase because of all the bad press and changing fees happening within BofA, Wells Fargo, and Citi. Also the general consensus seems to be that you will get a lower base pay at Chase ($30k-$35k), but there is much more opportunity to commission. They have their bankers comp every month vs. every quarter or half year. I have also heard that they are less product pushy, and more relationship oriented in their expectations of their employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tyler1178 in Woodbury, New Jersey

31 months ago

I got hired as a part time reller at wells I'm not sure if I should take it or not I also was hired by a small bank with less pay I worked at a previous bank were I led my branch for referrals there so think I might do good but not sure if I want to work at wells because of what everyone says I also want to stay in banking after college

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

johnnyu in Edmonds, Washington

31 months ago

I enjoy working at Chase, but you have to understand that the sales goals must be meet. The focus now-a-days seems to be on the quality of relationship and new accounts opened. It's not very hard to do well as a banker, i feel like the atmosphere will be largely dependent on your own manager. It doesn't hurt to test the water.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Daniela in Elk Grove Village, Illinois

30 months ago

Sk Ponnumala in New York, New York said: With my little knowledge, your best would be JP Chase (35k+ def below 42k!)before you apply make sure that...

Bank of America pays more hourly but commission. Is no as great . Chase pays less hourly but commission is more. At Bofa there' is a cap in your commission. I used to work my ass off to make 100 % (hit goals is kinda hard) and that was 1500 quarterly before taxes.. I know people at chase that makes that much in commission in a month. When it also comes to family , chase is open late in Chicago while Bofa
Close regular bank hours 5pm. Vs chase 6pm. Pressure is the same you gotta hit goal no matter what. Is very competitive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

beto in Houston, Texas

29 months ago

John Kite in Dallas, Texas said: Wells Fargo is managed by Community Presidents, District Managers, and Store Managers. They have autonomy how they manage their respective stores and many position it relative to execution of the incentive plan.

In some markets, meeting the incentive program is a requirement, while in others it's a goal (big difference). In markets where making the inventive program is a requirement, it's a tough balance between servicing the customer and selling the solutions to existing and new customers. At the end of the day, it's a job. You will get a paycheck for the hours worked - don't expect anything more. If you meet the incentive plans at the highest levels or have a management sponsor, you will have the ability to move up. However, the high pressure metric monitoring continues up the the ladder in many customer facing positions.

what do you mean by sponsored"? a manager helps you get higher?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tara in Providence, Rhode Island

25 months ago

La Shawn Thompson in Pasadena, California said: Wow! I have been selected to attend a group interview next week for Wells Fargo. I have seen many forms about being a PB. It seems like many do not like Wells Fargo. Is there anyone out there that has a good comment to say about Wells Fargo? The phone interview for me was very good! I was talking to a real person! Someone who wanted to find out about me vs passing a test.

La Shawn, just curious, how did you make out with your interview? If you were hired, Is all true about how terrible WF treats employees? I have an interview coming up soon for a PB..am a little nervous because of all the terrible postings..thx!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Denver, Colorado

24 months ago

wmacv said: i've been in sales for 7yrs making $60-70k can i make that being a personal banker and if so how long would it take and if not what type of income could i expect before i make a career change

If you're making $60-$70k a year, stick with it. As a PB 1, you'll start off around $16-17 an hour. Bonuses are a joke!

I made my way up to manager lvl 5 though and make six figures after bonuses, but YMMV. To be honest though, Wells Fargo is a joke when it comes to banking (they have retarded sales goals that don't equate to what you really should earn on bonuses and are capped)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Denver, Colorado

24 months ago

Tara in Providence, Rhode Island said: La Shawn, just curious, how did you make out with your interview? If you were hired, Is all true about how terrible WF treats employees? I have an interview coming up soon for a PB..am a little nervous because of all the terrible postings..thx!

That all depends on your boss. I was a good one to my employees and had 0% (yes you read that correctly) turnover and managed to get the right people promoted. But I will say this, there are better banks/CU's to work for.

best pb ever in Alexandria, Virginia

24 months ago

I worked at WF for almost a year as a pb. First off, they pay piss poor. it's embarrassing seeing how much the customers make compared to you. You will never get a bonus unless you speak Spanish or do unethical things, period. The idea is to get teenagers into credit cards and make sure every asset someone owns has a lien on it. Yes, it is sales, but you won't get paid like in other sales positions, such as car or mattress sales. They made me the small business specialist, yay! I was making 35k in a major metropolitan area. Get ready to piss people off and lose all respect for yourself when you are telemarketing during call nights. The customers will be like, wow the employees change so much here I was working with Debbie, then tom, then I think it was Ralph, or was it roscoe...? anyway, nobody stays here very long. They definitely push the sales minimums and pick out every fault that you have to explain why it is your fault that you can't get 1.5million in equity lines in a quarter, not the fact that everyone is underwater in their mortgages. Bottom line, take this job if you have nothing else and milk it and try to b.s. hour way to keeping the job long enough to get a real job. Otherwise, its only good for college and high school dropouts with low self esteem.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mike Hawk in Winston Salem, North Carolina

23 months ago

Of all of the companies I've worked for WELLS FARGO SUCKS! It IS all about NUMBERS! not about employees!!! The top executives are not clueless the just CHOOSE to IGNORE what many employees have stated! Whenever we have a town hall meeting, questions about the working conditions, environment, & culture gets brushed off like it doesn't exists! There's a whole lot of B.S. that goes on that aren't addressed. Those who believe/feel that Wells Fargo is a great place to work are in a minority! It's bad enough when Wells Fargo employees know how bad it is working for the company, it's even WORSE when people on the outside know how BAD it is!

Those who like working here probably work their standard 40hrs with maybe little after hours or weekend work. But those who constantly work 16 to 20 hour days knows how bad it is. How bad is it? Well when you have a process for a process and process to make sure you're following the process and know one really knows process how can an employee work efficiently? Wells Fargo hired offshore personnel then why in the world am I still working 16 to 20 hours/day?

RM in Hewett, West Virginia

23 months ago

Wow I have an interview with wells fargo as a pb. I really had to check the url to see if I was under a WF review page, because this is the only bank I'm hearing about. I came from Chevy Chase, to Capital one, then Suntrust and I have to admit that the whole banking industry is focused around numbers. Not just WF! If you work for a competitive bank you will have to work like your a machine to make sure your meeting your goals! But you guys are really scaring me about WF because this is the only bank I'm seeing with bad reviews

Katie K in Colorado Springs, Colorado

23 months ago

DO NOT WORK FOR WF! Period! I worked there for 5 years as well and was a nightmare!Crazy...DM was nuts, pushing for numbers every morning , every evening...I went to Credit Union and am much happier :) and WF love to tell you that you will move up on the ladder but will can ve stuck in the same position with you do not suck the DM or manager everyday like same people that I knew that was at the manager's office every single minute sucking his balls!!! WF will suck your blood and life and do not care about customer service! AT my current job they focus at customer service and caring about the customer needs!WF just care about making the sales PERIOD!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

L in Belmont, California

14 months ago

As a current personal banker for Wells Fargo, I will tell you this is the most stressful job I ever had in my life so far. I love what I do on building my cliental and relationships with customers, but I feel like the company so called want to concentrate on the customer, when really I feel like we are being selfish on trying to meet a goal that exceeds our limits. They have recently raised our metrics instead of hitting 3 out of 5 metrics, now its 4 out of 5 metrics plus hitting atleast 70% on on the 5th metric. Don't hit any of those, you can kiss your hard work goodbye and not comp at all, but get a lovely write up. I honestly feel like they do this on purpose so they don't have to pay us bankers at all, but only our hourly. I just wish they would change the commission structure to monthly instead of quarterly and something reasonable compared to chase's commission structure for what we do. You might as well call yourself a personal b*tch instead of a personal banker, because your always being micromanaged all around. I'm sure its like that at all banks, but they over do it at wells fargo.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

JG in Minneapolis, Minnesota

14 months ago

Just got of the phone with a recruiter. She told me that she loves WF so much she sees herself retiring there (she sounded scripted as hell). She told me the interview will be at a "Store" in Wayzeta, MN. I said you mean at a brick and mortar kind of banking location and not at a grocery store bank, she said they like to refer to banks as stores. Seriously, a bank is a place that offers financial services not packaged goods. This kind of mentality is the reason why they suck as a bank and as an employer. Also ever wonder why they utilize Careerbuilder so much, cause they are cheap to pay outside recruiters to find the most qualified candidates. I honestly think that their ideal PB candidate would be a used car salesman.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

psinerius in Phoenix, Arizona

12 months ago

I'm a teller right now at WF. I actually don't mind the job as far as sales goes, my problem is that I know a lot more changes and is expected of you when you want to become a PB. Would anyone consider this job as a stepping stone to get into WF Advisors or private banking with WF? I heard they take a look at top performing PBs and see if they want to get into those departments. I'm looking at both financial advising or private banking as a career choice and heard that getting licensed as a banker is a good move to transition into either one of those departments. I would hate to try and move up in retail banking past a personal banker level, I have no desire to do that. Anyone have any suggestions as far as this goes?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

martinezr2 in north bergen, New Jersey

12 months ago

psinerius in Phoenix, Arizona said: I'm a teller right now at WF. I actually don't mind the job as far as sales goes, my problem is that I know a lot more changes and is expected of you when you want to become a PB. Would anyone consider this job as a stepping stone to get into WF Advisors or private banking with WF? I heard they take a look at top performing PBs and see if they want to get into those departments. I'm looking at both financial advising or private banking as a career choice and heard that getting licensed as a banker is a good move to transition into either one of those departments. I would hate to try and move up in retail banking past a personal banker level, I have no desire to do that. Anyone have any suggestions as far as this goes?

Hey psinerius,
You are partially right about how the career path could go at WF. I worked as a banker for them for 4 years, I got licensed and they offered me the regional private banking position. The private banking position on the retail side is very different from the actual Wealth side. Wealth side is where the money is. As far as financial advisor, that is really tough to get within the retail world, unless you start off as a private banker. I am no longer a banker, I moved over to the corporate side as an analyst a couple years ago. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

12 months ago

martinezr2,

Thanks for you input, it seems like you have more knowledge on this than a lot of the people I work with. How does one get into private banking on the wealth side? Do you just keep working your way up from the retail side and eventually get moved or something else? Is the financial advisor position tough because of how competitive it is?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

12 months ago

psinerius in Phoenix, Arizona said: martinezr2,

Thanks for you input, it seems like you have more knowledge on this than a lot of the people I work with. How does one get into private banking on the wealth side? Do you just keep working your way up from the retail side and eventually get moved or something else? Is the financial advisor position tough because of how competitive it is?

Psinerius,

No problem, yes I worked within the WF world at the retail level for a few years so I understand the model very well.

First of all, you really never get "moved", you have to apply to positions when they are available. So if you wanted to head over to the Wealth side you would wait for a posting and apply to it, that's given that you have the credentials and experience etc.

To jump from retail to corporate is not easy, but it can be done and that would be the best career move. There is no money in retail banking, lots of pressure and sales but no true money. If you want to get into the FA role or Private Banker role you have to work yourself up within the branch to become licensed. So eventually you can become a "registered personal banker 2" which is what I was. In that role, you have to show a passion for investments, as well as be one of the top 3 in the region in this category.

I was offered a private banking position within retail because I referred 2 million dollars in one quarter, and was very consistent in meeting my banking goals as well as my investment goals.

Once you become a private banker you have to build a book of business and work your portfolio. Working the portfolio means loans, deposit growth and investments. If you are successful in this, then you can move over to the Wealth side. Wealth usually requires for you to have a certain sized portfolio. Once you're on that side though, the money comes rolling in and more positions become available to you.

12 months ago

psinerius in Phoenix, Arizona said: martinezr2,

To become an FA is tough because you are expected to have lots of COI (centers of influence) like lawyers, doctors etc. You are also expected to also have strong community ties and some sort of book of business already in hand. I have personally never seen a banker become a financial advisor. I DID see a store manager become a FA but he failed his series 7 exams and was let go of the company. He was able to get that job with the help of a few people he knew in the higher ups within the company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

12 months ago

Ah I see, Thank you so much for your input. It seems like the best path to go is to become an RBPB and work your way from there. Do you think it's more lucrative to become a private banker on the wealth side or to try and become an FA after being a private banker on the retail side for a while?

TD002 in Suffolk, Virginia

9 months ago

I enjoy working for Wells Fargo. I have been blessed with promoting several times within the last 3 years. The goals are changing and are becoming more challenging. I am currently a Licensed Personal Banker 2. The goal structure changes between a licensed versus non licensed position. It is a sales position and there is some truth to what we have to do to make goal. I have made goal every quarter since I've been with the company. Earlier it was mentioned by L in Belmont that we have to make at least 70% in all metrics to be eligible in addition to making 100% in at least 3 of the 5 categories. What has recently been added, is that all accounts established is 80% of the accounts opened must be fully funded or you lose 25% of your sales compensation. Understandably, accounts should be funded. Overall, I do like what I do in the company and there are days where I feel like I'm pushing many things on our customers. It has been my understanding that we are "relationship" building but if there isn't an immediate sale involved in the course of the relationship building, some managers hassle you for taking too long with customers when you could be directing your attentions elsewhere (cold calling customers... smh). It is also true that even when you are eligible for goal and making your numbers, it is not enough because the higher up management pushes for the branches to make even more sales on top of that. I would that in most situations, many of us as bankers don't have an issue with helping the branch meet its overall goal but not crap on the individuals within the team because the branch numbers are very high.

TADJ in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

6 months ago

Congrats you are making it to an Asst Manager Position. I worked for Wachovia/Wells for 8 years. Wachovia was a much better company. Wells Fargo is a widget pushing at is finest. I did it and was successful at it, being promoted to a Level 3 store manager, but with the amount of turnover and products being pushed on to customers for no reason its a joke. Just my opinion, but you have fun being a widget pusher!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

TADJ in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

6 months ago

martinezr2 in north bergen, New Jersey said: To become an FA is tough because you are expected to have lots of COI (centers of influence) like lawyers, doctors etc. You are also expected to also have strong community ties and some sort of book of business already in hand. I have personally never seen a banker become a financial advisor. I DID see a store manager become a FA but he failed his series 7 exams and was let go of the company. He was able to get that job with the help of a few people he knew in the higher ups within the company.

YES, FA is a totally different career path that working on the retail. Yes you can partner with an FA, its really a totally different side to "banking."

5 months ago

martinezr2 in north bergen, New Jersey said: Hey psinerius,
You are partially right about how the career path could go at WF. I worked as a banker for them for 4 years, I got licensed and they offered me the regional private banking position. The private banking position on the retail side is very different from the actual Wealth side. Wealth side is where the money is. As far as financial advisor , that is really tough to get within the retail world, unless you start off as a private banker. I am no longer a banker, I moved over to the corporate side as an analyst a couple years ago. Good luck.

Hey martinezr2

Since posting on this board I have recently moved in to a PB position. I still have ambitions of getting licensed but have gained interest in analysts positions within the banking world. I read that you're now an analyst on the corporate side. What is your position and how did you transition from retail to corporate?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.