Why is it so hard to land a PB position nowadays?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

Damian in San Mateo, California

53 months ago

I've been to numerous interviews, only to get shot down after the 2nd ones - The recent ones with Wells Fargo and Chase. And although I have I don't a banking background, I possess plenty of sales experience from the high tech industry.

Now I know that with the current market condition, employers will most likely pick candidates who have the most banking knowledge, even though the Personal Banker job description do not state that as a requirement. Nevertheless it is extremely frustrating to go through the whole interview process and then get turned down each time.

The other thing that I think may have hurt my chances is that my last 3 employments have all been shorter than a year each. What can I do to improve my chances?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

gigi in Singapore, Singapore

53 months ago

Sell yourself thats the only key to becoming a personal banker. Be confident. U just have to keep selling yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

William in Austin, Texas

52 months ago

It's harder because it's definitely a sellers market out there. Banks can now pick and choose employees amongst a roster of potential candidates, and they're now specifically picking people with past Banking experience.

Case in point, my Manager had mentioned that with a recent PB position he had 150+ applicants within a few days. A few years back he would've been lucky to get 5 or 6 applicants. Eventually he chose someone with specific Banking background, because he didn't want to necessarily have someone start from scratch when it came to Banking.

The best hope then is as the previous poster recommended, sell yourself as best as you can for that position. Try to give a 100% impression why you're the only one that fits for it, and relate as much background history as possible to it. I.e. past sales experience, past customer service, past quotas, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

The Realist in Shelbyville, Kentucky

52 months ago

I just had my phone interview with Chase for a personal banker position. My background is in retail banking and sales. The recruiter told me that I will hear back by early next week which will be Monday or Tuesday of next week. Does anyone know how long this process takes before they actually make an offer? I have been wanting this job for a while now and I thought that the phone interview went very well. I just don't want to get my hopes up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

NTR1030 in Chicago, Illinois

52 months ago

I've had the same problems, especially when applying to personal banker jobs with Chase. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, with a specialization in finance, more than 5 years of experience in sales, military experience, AND 5 years of management experience, yet every time I apply for a position within 15 minutes the next day I get an email saying "after careful consideration, you have not been chosen for an interview." Careful consideration? It was considered for 15 minutes, if at all! All they ask for with this position is 1 year of sales experience and a high school diploma. I could understand getting this response if I bombed the assessment, but I KNOW at the most I maybe missed one question; for the most part it was fairly easy (definitely a lot easier than the GMAT). What's going on? Does Chase not like to hire veterans? Usually this helps your resume as opposed to hurting it, so I can't see how this could be the case (plus I think from an HR standpoint that would be illegal). I can't figure out what, if anything, I'm doing wrong here. Any advice? I'm starting my MBA this fall and I'd really like to get my foot in the door at a bank somewhere so I can take my series 6/63 tests and actually START my career in finance, but so far I'm getting nowhere. Please help, any input is welcome!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Drea45 in Long Beach, California

52 months ago

The Realist in Shelbyville, Kentucky said: I just had my phone interview with Chase for a personal banker position. My background is in retail banking and sales. The recruiter told me that I will hear back by early next week which will be Monday or Tuesday of next week. Does anyone know how long this process takes before they actually make an offer? I have been wanting this job for a while now and I thought that the phone interview went very well. I just don't want to get my hopes up.

I just went through the entire process myself and it took approx. 1 month for Chase to make me an "Official" job offer for a personal banker position. The process of the position starts with a phone interview from the recruiter, then a in person interview with the branch manager, if that goes well then the branch mananger will move you forward to talk to the District Manager. He/she will give the final Yes or No. Once all of that takes place you will then have to complete a finger printing test, drug test, and the onboarding team will complete a full on backround/ credit check. The backround test takes anywhere from 7-10 days to complete.

Just be confident and be very professional. I had no past banking expereince but I has an extensive customer service backround along with sales expereince (about 1 year worth). Be very friendly and try to make the interview more of a conversation rather than an interview. Ask questions to show your interest in the position and ask about the cliental that goes into the back.
Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Looking for a job in Shelbyville, Kentucky

52 months ago

How many times should one apply and take that assessment. I got a call back without passing it,but only made to the phone interview. I went back under my new email address and I passed it twice. I really want this job because I now that i can do it and it is right up my alley and the bank has a very strong presence in the city that I will be moving to in a couple of years. I was just laid off from the bank I was with because the fdic stepped in and i made too much money and they had to cut cost. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

kelly12 in Wylie, Texas

52 months ago

i think i am going to get an offer from chase soon for a pb. question is, i had a few bad checks due to a messy divorce when i was younger, i had to pay a fine at the district clerk, and i am not sure if they still show on my record. i wonder if i won't pass background due to this? i disclosed it up front, never tried to hide it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

KittenMoon in Houston, Texas

47 months ago

If people with experience are having trouble landing a Personal Banker job, then it would be MUCH MORE harder for people like me who have no experience. I'm in college getting my degree in Financial Planning. I wont graduate till 2013 or 2014, so I have a lot of time before I actually start looking for a career, but I need a part time job in sales. I don't care about the money, my parents pay for my education, I just need the sales experience. That's why I thought Personal Banking would be a perfect fit. Employers who are looking for Financial Advisors want applicants with a minimum of 3 years of experience in sales. I hope the economy gets better so I can have some job experience before I graduate. My years as a cashier don't count.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Alexandria, Virginia

46 months ago

KittenMoon in Houston, Texas said: If people with experience are having trouble landing a Personal Banker job, then it would be MUCH MORE harder for people like me who have no experience. I'm in college getting my degree in Financial Planning. I wont graduate till 2013 or 2014, so I have a lot of time before I actually start looking for a career, but I need a part time job in sales. I don't care about the money, my parents pay for my education, I just need the sales experience. That's why I thought Personal Banking would be a perfect fit. Employers who are looking for Financial Advisors want applicants with a minimum of 3 years of experience in sales. I hope the economy gets better so I can have some job experience before I graduate. My years as a cashier don't count.

-Since you were a cashier, you should apply for a teller job since all you need for that is cash handling experience. Then, from there, you build on sales and banking experience. So, by the time yo get out you have the degree and experience. Most PB's move from the teller line without a degree. Usually tellers do referrals for sales/ opening accounts, ect. Also, its up to you but check out the different jobs of PB's in various banks. For ex. some credit unions make their PB's work on the teller line when they are short. But, def. check out teller job, you may even move up as PB before graduating so that by the time you graduate, maybe you can do more Analyst/ Corporate finance/ Management stuff rather than selling all the time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jake Kim in Fullerton, California

44 months ago

KittenMoon in Houston, Texas said: If people with experience are having trouble landing a Personal Banker job, then it would be MUCH MORE harder for people like me who have no experience. I'm in college getting my degree in Financial Planning. I wont graduate till 2013 or 2014, so I have a lot of time before I actually start looking for a career, but I need a part time job in sales. I don't care about the money, my parents pay for my education, I just need the sales experience. That's why I thought Personal Banking would be a perfect fit. Employers who are looking for Financial Advisors want applicants with a minimum of 3 years of experience in sales. I hope the economy gets better so I can have some job experience before I graduate. My years as a cashier don't count.

I worked as a Financial Professional at Prudential and now moving back to banking industry.
My recommendation would be either you start as a teller in a bank & move up or jump into insurance industry. I would recommand Prudential or New York Life because they have the best training program. The company will pay for series 6,63 & insurance licenses. It would be tough for you to sell but after 2 years or so, the bank would love to have you. Since you studied financial planning, you know insurance is the corner stone of the financial plan.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dude in Beaverton, Oregon

43 months ago

Damian in San Mateo, California said: I've been to numerous interviews, only to get shot down after the 2nd ones - The recent ones with Wells Fargo and Chase. And although I have I don't a banking background, I possess plenty of sales experience from the high tech industry.

Now I know that with the current market condition, employers will most likely pick candidates who have the most banking knowledge, even though the Personal Banker job description do not state that as a requirement. Nevertheless it is extremely frustrating to go through the whole interview process and then get turned down each time.

The other thing that I think may have hurt my chances is that my last 3 employments have all been shorter than a year each. What can I do to improve my chances?

persistance. i just got a job as a PB and only worked in sales for a year previously at a cable company. i had 10 interviews before i got an offer. keep your head up and push push push. stay on top of openings too, check daily

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

mtg52 in Seattle, Washington

7 months ago

Jake Kim in Fullerton, California said: I worked as a Financial Professional at Prudential and now moving back to banking industry.
My recommendation would be either you start as a teller in a bank & move up or jump into insurance industry. I would recommand Prudential or New York Life because they have the best training program. The company will pay for series 6,63 & insurance licenses. It would be tough for you to sell but after 2 years or so, the bank would love to have you. Since you studied financial planning, you know insurance is the corner stone of the financial plan.

I can tell your a financial rep. Banks don't like insurance at all. You should know that. Their products come first

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.