What are the best personal banker qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (25)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a personal banker? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective personal banker?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

susieskeptic in Lieu, Illinois

77 months ago

You will have a sponsor for the licenses you need through the bank who employs you. You can not get licensed without a sponsor. Plus, they'll pay for you to get licenses that are somewhat easy to maintain. Every two years you reevaluate and test-take. You only lose the licenses when you are gone from a sponsor for two years. Before two years, you can stop, raise kids, travel, whatever and then come back licensed.

THe licesnses needed are the "Series 6" and "63" or the "66" which is both. One is basically an overview of Economic Theory, INvestments and history of the sec and nasd, securities and insurances, i.e. annuities, stocks and bonds, mutual funds. THe 63 is your state's blue sky laws, i.e. in Illinois i learned mostly fundamental nationwide laws for securities dealers and banks, how to become registered, sometimes really banal particulars...

Then I also have INsurance licenses in Life and Law through illinois. This enables me to sell annuities and that's about it.

Your sponsor, bank, firm, principal, etc., will continually keep you sharp about your specific company but mostly when audit season comes around, from what I understand..

Where are you gonna work?

As a relatively new personal banker, I've found that the MOST IMPORATANT thing is to read read read read read everything I can about the housing market, about retirement plans in my area, about hot issues in the economy, such as ETFs or VISA's IPO or the Bear Stearns fiasco. Keep abreast of current issues but know enough history to show people effectively how not to outlive their money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Doug in Orange, California

77 months ago

susieskeptic in Lieu, Illinois said: You will have a sponsor for the licenses you need through the bank who employs you. You can not get licensed without a sponsor. Plus, they'll pay for you to get licenses that are somewhat easy to maintain. Every two years you reevaluate and test-take. You only lose the licenses when you are gone from a sponsor for two years. Before two years, you can stop, raise kids, travel, whatever and then come back licensed.

THe licesnses needed are the "Series 6" and "63" or the "66" which is both. One is basically an overview of Economic Theory, INvestments and history of the sec and nasd, securities and insurances, i.e. annuities, stocks and bonds, mutual funds. THe 63 is your state's blue sky laws, i.e. in Illinois i learned mostly fundamental nationwide laws for securities dealers and banks, how to become registered, sometimes really banal particulars...

Then I also have INsurance licenses in Life and Law through illinois. This enables me to sell annuities and that's about it.

Your sponsor, bank, firm, principal, etc., will continually keep you sharp about your specific company but mostly when audit season comes around, from what I understand..

As a relatively new personal banker, I've found that the MOST IMPORATANT thing is to read read read read read everything I can about the housing market, about retirement plans in my area, about hot issues in the economy, such as ETFs or VISA's IPO or the Bear Stearns fiasco. Keep abreast of current issues but know enough history to show people effectively how not to outlive their money.

HI Susie,
Thanks for the info on series 6 & 63.
BTW, what bank are you with? I have an interview with Wells Fargo on Monday, doing the career change thing. Any advice for the interview?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Talk about extroverted...I'm really interested in people, not the idiots, but the real people...so imo, working in a bank where you get to see some of the people on a regular basis is pretty cool. There are tons of banks here in SoCal, but I really am about banks that "walk the talk" on teamwork and relationship building, and I find that my visits to several WF branches pretty much confirm what I've been reading on their website. I am planning on getting my MBA soon after being hired or just going for the MBA anyway. I am looking for opportunities beyond the branch level...but definitely will be in some sales aspect for the bank. Sales are about conveying to the customer that you genuinely DO care about what you can do for them, and that you're not just about making the commission. You will go far with your attitude...why don't you get involved in some networking groups? That way you can promote yourself in the community too and not just to the walk-ins...just a thought..maybe you do that already.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Ok, so I had the group interview on Monday...and now all I can do is wait for the news as to whether or not I will be invited back for the next round. I feel good about the process, and think I did fantastic in the group interview. The only thing I feel unsure of is that I did not stick around to chat when it was over. I have always felt that when the interview is over and you feel that you have "nailed it", you should go. Sticking around is for those who may not feel that they did well and NEED to stick around...BUT, I've heard that sticking around is a good thing...soooo I'm not so sure now. Regardless, it is what it is, and I think they will ask me back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

susieskeptic in Lieu, Illinois

76 months ago

Doug in Orange, California said: Ok, so I had the group interview on Monday...and now all I can do is wait for the news as to whether or not I will be invited back for the next round.

Group interview? Not for CHase, right? For Wells Fargo? How are things there? They're hiring a lot right now? Because it's a BAD Chase week, again. I always feel like I"ve pissed of some b*%$& manager with my evil independent thinking and bullshI* deficiency and so therefore I'll be fired.

I'm feeling really depressed about it. Things were starting to click until I got beat back into place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

I hear you Susie. I know a few people in banking, and it is not a place, necessarily, for "free spirits". Most of the people on the branch level are clock watchers...they put in their time, they follow the rules, and they get promoted due to the amount of time they put in over the years...and also maybe on how well the kiss up to the bosses. The sales culture is the polar opposite. We are only as good as our last paycheck in many ways. We need to employ creativity to gain new customers rather than follow rules to avoid pissing off existing ones. It is hard for some branch level people to appreciate the importance of the sales "artist" and they seek to hold the artist's hand while the artist is painting. You need to nurture a more positive relationship with your managers, and find a way to communicate that you are capable of helping then increase the branch revenue, but that you need their support and encouragement. If you cannot accomplish this, you're going to struggle and eventually need to find a better place to practice your art. This is why I chose Wells Fargo. I visited several branches, and felt like they lived up to what I read on their website about their corporate vision. If they are hiring there, you may want to apply, but remember that they are more skeptical about a person who is leaving on PB position for another and will expect solid reasons for doing so. If you say that you had issues with the management, expect them to ask how you tried to resolve those issues and why they were not successful.
Anyway, good luck. Use your talent where it will be most productive for YOU. If it works for you, it works for them!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

its my first quater in Los Altos, California

76 months ago

and finding solutions is just what i'm getting stuck at. On a dialy bases we have high service walk-ins that are already existing customer meeting the 1-15 daily solutions is almost impossible if you have no time to call? Any suggestions on how to solve this daily issue?

Guni

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Liam in San Francisco, California

72 months ago

Doug,

I know that the last post in this thread was 4 months ago, but maybe you are still receiving notifications of responses. I have a group interview with Wells Fargo tomorrow and wondered if you could give me any pointers or a heads up as to what I can expect.

Thanks,

Liam

leeKah in Denver, Colorado

71 months ago

Liam- did you get the job???
I am not sure if I really want to pursue this job... I guess if I am not sure it is b/c I shouldn't. But it seems like a good way of getting a career started.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much of cold calling one would need to do as a PB at WF...

shelly in Bailey, Colorado

71 months ago

You dont make that many cold calls unless you want to. Your book of buiness will start to grow and you will be spending most of your time getting to know new clients and setting appointments for follow ups on solutions that you weren't able to get them just yet. It's a great way to keep yourself busy so you dont have to do the cold calling. P.S. Im no good at it but I work hard to utilize every effort to set up follow up appointments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

garde72@hotmail.com in Virgin Islands, British

58 months ago

well, our personal Banking is a little different in that most of our customers come to the Bank for business. May be because we have a small population of people. However, i exercise a passion of full customer relation and always view every customer as special.Maybe sometime i will have to get out and seek customer. i guess such challenge depends on the economy and the competition available agains Bank in the Virgin Islands.

Kimletitgo in Boise, Idaho

54 months ago

I start as a personal banker at Chase in one week. I still have to take the tests (6 and 63) and I would love some advice on passing them. Also some advice from anyone who has been a personal banker for awhile.

drhir in Bronx, New York

50 months ago

i quit cuz it was so lame

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Khenderson12

43 months ago

I currently work at wells Fargo but at a operation center processing checks.
I want to transfer to be a personal banker and need to know whats the best route in doing that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

MRPARAISO in San Bernardino, California

43 months ago

WELL ITS BEEN A WEEK SINCE I DID GROUP INTERVIEW WITH WELLSFARGO. I GOT A CALL FROM RECRUITER AND WAS TOLD THAT THEY ARE SEARCHING FOR OPEN POSITIONS IN THE INLAND EMPIRED AREA FOR ME TO HAVE INTERVIEW.

WHILE ON THE OTHER HAND I HAD ALSO APPLIED FOR CHASE BANK. TODAY I HAD INTERVIEW WITH BRANCH MANAGER. THEY BRANCH MANAGER FINISH THE INTERVIEW BY TELLING ME ABOUT THE PAY THATS $ 32,000/A YEAR PLUS COMMISSION. SHE ALSO MENTION THAT SHE HAD OTHER PEOPLE TO INTERVIEW BUT SHE WOULD LET ME KNOW BY TOMORROW IF WE MOVE FORWARD. BUT IF WE DID THAN I WOULD BE INTERVIEWING WITH DISTRICT MANAGER.

WOW. WHAT A DAY. YES, CHASE DID HAD ME ROLE PLAY, I WAS KIND OF NERVOUS BUT SINCE I BEEN IN SALES OVER 17 YEARS IT WAS A PIECE OF CAKE. WILL KEEP YOU POSTED.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jfs88 in San Mateo, California

40 months ago

anybody here who has any idea which bank is better in terms of being a personal banker? I work at Wells Fargo and pressure's such so great! I was called by Chase for an interview for a PB as well. As far as I know, Chase PB has a less stress environment. Anybody who has an idea please?

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mr dream in Temecula, California

40 months ago

Chase is better. More bonus.

Mr dream in Temecula, California

40 months ago

Chase is better. Just look at stock price. Forbbes magazine rates chase not only number one bank but number one company for 2010. Soon to open 200 + branches more. Usually bonus is minimum $ 1000 to $7500 a month just in bonus. Trust me chase is better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

soontobe in Norcross, Georgia

40 months ago

chase has a lower base salary then chase, but chase pays commissions monthly whereas wells pays quarterly. Chase's commission structure is better so your earning potential is higher. Both places are high pressure but lets be real your hired to sell and sales jobs are high pressure. Chase has excellent benefits and is a company that is strong and growing fast. There are pros and cons everywhere but I think Chase is better to work for between the two.

KpMoney in Scottsdale, Arizona

39 months ago

Got a Job interview for a banker position with chase today! I'm 19 and a teller at Wells Fargo right now. Wells Fargo is nice but the customer service commission (WOW) will kill your spirits! Its a servey system via random phone call to a customer and several questions are asked regarding the service you gave the customer and its rated 1-5, if you get a perfect survey, then your patted on the back and you get a chance to receive commission at the end of the quarter. BAD NEWS is that if you get even ONE SINGLE 4 rather than a 5 on one of the questions, it counts the same as getting all 1's and they can eventually fire you if you consistently receive "bad shops". I will see how this interview with chase goes today and repost later. Good luck Doug!

Lidia in New Orleans, Louisiana

36 months ago

I am 17 going on 18 and i would like to become a personal banker but i would like to know what i need to apply ..... would i have to go to school and take some classes or could i just apply and it would be nice if someone who has couple of experience on this job to give me some advice it would really help hope to hear from you guys soon ...

Lidia in New Orleans, Louisiana

36 months ago

I am 17 going on 18 and i would like to become a personal banker but i would like to know what i need to apply ..... would i have to go to school and take some classes or could i just apply and it would be nice if someone who has couple of experience on this job to give me some advice it would really help hope to hear from you guys soon ...

Dakota in Mckinney, Texas

30 months ago

I had an interview for personal banker this week, it made me see how much I really want to work for a great company. I was told right after the interview that they want a second interview, which I am so excited about. Thanks to this forum it gave me some tips that really helped, now I hope I do well on my next interview! My biggest tip was smile and be yourself, have a good example of a time when you did something expectational, customer service and a sale. Good Luck

bambam1284 in Brooklyn, New York

25 months ago

susieskeptic in Lieu, Illinois said: You will have a sponsor for the licenses you need through the bank who employs you. You can not get licensed without a sponsor. Plus, they'll pay for you to get licenses that are somewhat easy to maintain. Every two years you reevaluate and test-take. You only lose the licenses when you are gone from a sponsor for two years. Before two years, you can stop, raise kids, travel, whatever and then come back licensed.

Where is the best place to read up on all of these things? and also i have no experience on personal banking and i have not started training, i want to be ready for whatever comes my way, what advice do you have for someone like me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.