What do you enjoy most about your personal banker career?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

Host

What do you enjoy most about being a personal banker? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Reply - Report abuse

Tim in Cambridge, Massachusetts

92 months ago

If you love working with people and looking good this job is the place to be.
It's a great starting position to many careers within retail banking.
You will get holidays off (usually paid) excellent health insurance and dental insurance and paid time off for sick days and vacation.
Salary is reasonable depending on what your expecting. Personal Bankers usually make $30,000-$50,000 a year depending on the company you work for and location of employment. Boston, New York and San Francisco will pay more because of the cost of living. If you starting a job in one of these areas you can expect to make at least $40,000 plus quarterly commission. All PBR's have established sales goals you are REQUIRED to meet on a monthly basis so if you dont like sales then look for another career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

V.A.N. in Bismarck, North Dakota

79 months ago

could you tell me examples of the kind of "sale goals" you are required to meet as a personal banker? thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

susieskeptic in Lieu, Illinois

78 months ago

V.A.N. in Bismarck, North Dakota said: could you tell me examples of the kind of "sale goals" you are required to meet as a personal banker? thanks!

Hey Tim.

What bank are you with? Just curious. I know a lot of people who are making money banking just simply hate the new bank environment with banks going under, layoffs, new tactics to retain customers, cattiness and backstabbing with cold, unpleasant environments.

I lOVE my job but I HATE the people with whom I work. THe best part of my job as a PB is helping people get out of debt. It is also what I make the most money doing!

I have had many customers leave my office hugging me and thanking me as though they've won the lottery because a personal banker with a huge bank really cares for them and their overdrawn little checking accounts.

It's like a problem solving game with some people and I am gaining a lot of respect and referrals. Only been on the floor with Chase since November but I'm gonna kill it as long as I suc% it up and kiss the a$$es of my nasty management.

Who are you with and what are your sales goals? V.A.N.- where are you applying? I have friends at a ton of other banks and maybe I can provide feedback!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bill Atkinson in Lisle, Illinois

78 months ago

Host said: What do you enjoy most about being a personal banker? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

I am a Personal Banker formerly with Bank One and then Integra and I am seeking a position as a Personal Banker
for a Community orientated Bank.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

I m seeking a position for a Community Orientated bank as a Personal banker.
I do have experience.
Can any one help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Doug in Orange, California

78 months ago

susieskeptic in Lieu, Illinois said: Hey Tim.

What bank are you with? Just curious. I know a lot of people who are making money banking just simply hate the new bank environment with banks going under, layoffs, new tactics to retain customers, cattiness and backstabbing with cold, unpleasant environments.

I lOVE my job but I HATE the people with whom I work. THe best part of my job as a PB is helping people get out of debt. It is also what I make the most money doing!

I have had many customers leave my office hugging me and thanking me as though they've won the lottery because a personal banker with a huge bank really cares for them and their overdrawn little checking accounts.

It's like a problem solving game with some people and I am gaining a lot of respect and referrals. Only been on the floor with Chase since November but I'm gonna kill it as long as I suc% it up and kiss the a$$es of my nasty management.

Who are you with and what are your sales goals? V.A.N.- where are you applying? I have friends at a ton of other banks and maybe I can provide feedback!

Susie,
This is really cool...you've got a good heart for people. This is where I excel, I just love rolling up my sleeves and helping people get what they really need, which at times is just a sympathetic ear...give them that and they will become solid customers for life. So now I know you are with Chase...you can disregard the other reply where I asked. Why not work for Wells if you are so unhappy with the people you work with? I believe they live up to the values they talk about on their website.
Doug

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

I am seeking a Personal Banker position in the Chicagoland area or Indianapolis.
I have been out of work since January.
Can some ome help me.

Wca769@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jay in Metairie, Louisiana

75 months ago

Hi guys,

I recetly received an offer from Chase after ther intensive background check that had me waiting because of an unpaid traffic ticket. lol

My question is what type of information will you learn and have access to as a personal banker. I noticed someone talk about debt management but what other financial instruments will I get training on as a personal banker?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

jobhunting in Owensboro, Kentucky

45 months ago

I have a similiar question to Jay's. I had a phone interview with the recruiter today (that I don't feel went well) and am trying to be more prepared if I actually get a second interview. I have tons of experience in sales and management but none in banking. The job description is very vague and says, "to discover their financial needs and provide product and service recommendations." but it doesn't say what those products ARE. In other words do you sell everything from checking to savings to mortgages or do you focus mostly on specific products?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CEB in San Diego, California

44 months ago

Just got hired as a PB at wells fargo. Im excited this will be my first job in the banking business, I have a successful background in sales and this will be a new field for me to adjust too. What would you guys say is the most challenging part of the job besides the sales goals?

I been reading around and noticed that the job requires series licenses like 6/63?? Are those exams for those hard?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Bloomington, California

44 months ago

CEB in San Diego, California said: Just got hired as a PB at wells fargo. Im excited this will be my first job in the banking business, I have a successful background in sales and this will be a new field for me to adjust too. What would you guys say is the most challenging part of the job besides the sales goals?

I been reading around and noticed that the job requires series licenses like 6/63?? Are those exams for those hard?

Not to be debby downer, but the PB role at Wells is miserable. I was hired five years ago when they actually licensed you first (I have my 7 and 66), and after all the promises, all we are is pushy used car salesmen. There is so much pressure at work that people have gone on stress leave and never come back. All this for a measly 36k a year? I went to Wachovia as an FS, made 60k plus incentives that are actually attainable (so total I was averaging 75k a year) and then wells came and bought them out, and everybody hates life. I just got hired by Chase, and they are much more mellow than Wells. Im taking a paycut, but it worth it not having to work for that terrible unethical company.

Get ready to push push push widgets, checking accounts and debit cards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

StarryNite in Yorba Linda, California

31 months ago

Be it Wells or BOA. I hate working in the PB positon. Its a total BS when on ur interviews u r told that u wanna do whats right for the customer! its not about the customer Its only about the Goals that u r given!!!! Almost impossible to achieve, loans fall out of processing after being 120 days in process, customers have already paid an $500 apraisal fee n guess what there money goes down the drain...! U r under so much pressure to hit ur goalz that u r pushing credit cards to even 92 yr old customers as well..!!!!N if u r unlucky u ve to deal with a bitchy management then u ll hate being there every single moment of ur life...N then u also to put up with Favortism / discimination, however u want to put it. I work for BOA as a PB n i hate it.. Was given no systems training, was just thrown in to deal with nonsense n then blamed for mistakes. I wish i cud leave this job now!!
If u decide to work as a PB, then be prepared to still keep looking for another job. No wonder the turnover in banking is super high!!! remember Banking is no more about customers but only about the BANKS themselves. Be it credit unions / big banks its the same and very sad... I had a passion to get into Banking but i had no clue what i was getting into!!
Good luc to everyone who is trying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.