Top personal banker skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every personal banker must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your personal banker expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Atlanta, Georgia

92 months ago

1. People skills
2. Orginazational skills
3. Product knowledge and being able to relate that to client needs

It depends on what bank your at but being able to sell the entire relationship....ie...investment products, loan products and banking products, really helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Fat Frank in Morristown, New Jersey

83 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every personal banker must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your personal banker expertise?

able to churn accounts.... just remember... fixed to variable, variable to fixed... and then back to variable

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

tiffany clark in Carrollton, Alabama

76 months ago

what are skills for a banker

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

onyi_johnsonjj in Satellite Provider

65 months ago

i love banking job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

bobj in Tucson, Arizona

58 months ago

Can someone who has been in financial services for 4-5 years and is fully licensed get a PB job relatively easily?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

williamdefalco in Austin, Texas

58 months ago

bobj in Tucson, Arizona said: Can someone who has been in financial services for 4-5 years and is fully licensed get a PB job relatively easily?

You should be at least put into the front of the line when it comes to your application. Right now with this high unemployment rate, Banks (as are all other companies out there) are refining their choice of applicants to people who have worked either in the Financial services industry or in Banking itself. They for the most part want people with previous experience, not someone they'll have to train from scratch.

Your licenses especially help as the Bank would not have to pay for them, only to transfer them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

williamdefalco in Austin, Texas

58 months ago

The strategies are the usual stuff that most successful Bankers do:

- lots of calls each day, whether it's cold calling for new customers or revisiting old clients for new business from themselves or friends/family members for appointments
- visiting nearby businesses in order to network
- working with the walk-in clientele in order to turn servicing in new sales opportunities
- working with tellers to recognize sales opportunities from their servicing
- ALWAYS having an upbeat, will-succeed attitude during the day, and not let trivial things like lunch/breaks get in the way of a successful day. Believe me, a good Banker is someone whose last worry of the day is what time lunch is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Not a Personal Banker in Lehi, Utah

20 months ago

Kristalssss in Lehigh Acres, Florida said: B a personal banker is sucks, it's one of the worst job ever! you have to put off with a lot of BS from clients and managers!! I can't wait to finish my Bachelor Degree in HR and get offstupid banking job!! Good luck with all of those that wants to become a Banker!!

Kristalssss, I think you have demonstrated why you are having such a hard time as a personal banker and why you are failing. All the best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.