Do I need a CNPR certifaction or Pharm Tech License to break into Pharm Sales.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 54)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

donnajnagel@yahoo.com in Clinton Township, Michigan

38 months ago

Hi I am looking to break into Pharmacuetical sales. I have 10 years experience in Outside sales with great results. I sent in my resume to one Pharm company and they told me I need CNPR or Pharm Tech License to get an interview? Is this the new industry standard? Or a scam? The posting was from a recruiter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

JAPE in Kansas City, Missouri

38 months ago

I just received my CNPR, and I haven't had any offers yet. Did you get an email saying that you need a license from a recruiter. I received that email, so I obtained my CNPR in 2 weeks, submitted an updated resume and and cover letter. They never responded after that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Molly P. in Delray Beach, Florida

17 months ago

I recommend using a good recruiter, the key is to find a good one. I would also acquire pharmaceutical sales training if you are entry level. The CNPR is the most popular and is industry recognized.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kerry M. In Lima OH

16 months ago

I am a pharmaceutical sales rep here in Ohio and I do recommend the CNPR program if u are looking to become a pharmaceutical sales rep.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Gretchen T. In Madison, WI

16 months ago

The CNPR is a well respected program within the industry and should be taken by all entry level reps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Robert B. in Delray Beach, Florida

16 months ago

I just found this job on the NAPSRX Career Center, looks like a real job to me:

Sales Representative - Palm Beach, FL
Job ID #: 3714 Location: Florida-West Palm Beach
Functional Area: Sales - Field Department: Field
Position Type: Full-Time Education Required: Bachelors Degree
Experience Required: 1 - 3 Years Relocation Provided: No

Position Description

A full-time Representative is needed to exemplify the values of our client which include personal commitment, integrity and teamwork. The representative will be responsible to meet or exceed established program sales and market share targets within a given geographical territory targeting primary care physicians.

 Consistently meet and exceed established program sales goals and market share targets within territory by delivering sales programs and utilizing effective sales techniques and promotional materials in order to influence targeted physicians.
 Achieve daily sales call activity/client deliverables by gaining access to prescribing decision makers and influencing purchasing decisions
 Possess solid knowledge and understanding of all assigned products, disease states, treatment and competitor products.
 Maintain current and competent working knowledge of product line to educate customer and increase customer’s likeliness to prescribe the product
 Produce high quality territory management activities, including pre-call planning, material inventory, call reports and expense reports
 Deliver sales presentations and utilize effective sales techniques in order to influence target physicians.
 Positively impact sales in territory, display knowledge of key customers, plan, analyze and act upon sales data within geography
 Meet call expectations for all required physician face-to-face calls

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ashley R. in Fort Worth, TX

16 months ago

I have asked 6 pharma reps about the NAPSRx and they all say good thinga about them.They come into my Dad's practice daily so I see these reps when I stop by. I would call the NAPSRx if u have any doubts!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Margaret Seallogy in Louisville, Kentucky

16 months ago

I think my story can actually help people understand how important it is to take some type of pharmaceutical sales training before you enter a career as a pharm rep. I actually interviewed with one of the top pharmaceutical companies (wont mention in this blog but if you knew me I would tell you) for a pharmaceutical sales rep position. The job was eventually offered to me and I accepted. I missed my industry test by 6 points and had to be terminated because you could only miss 5. I am confident I would have gotten a 100% if I would have completed the CNPR program before hand. I totally loved the company and it hurts everyday knowing I should be working there. Only if I had taken the training prior things might be different for me.

I hope this might help others out there and not make the same mistake I did.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer Matte in Rochester, Minnesota

16 months ago

I have heard only good things about the NAPSRX from the people I have talked to and I plan on getting the CNPR completed soon. Does anyone recommend getting the CphT as well??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

From my experience I would get any kind of pharmacology or pharmaceutical sales training you can get. The CNPR is comprehensive enough to get into the industry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Erin Eldon in Colorado Springs, Colorado

16 months ago

I think it is up to the applicant to which program they take. I know for a fact that the CNPR is a great program and would help any entry level candidate. With that being said entry level candidates must also understand that is takes more than just completing pharmaceutical sales training to break into the industry. It takes a professional, competitive, self starter who likes to work independently. These traits will be evaluated during the interview process and be ready to answer several STAR questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the CNPR program completed. I just called the NAPSRX and talked Anne and she seemed very helpful and friendly. She mentioned it might only take 3 to 4 weeks. I just feedback from others.

Danny Tomkins in Sacramento, California

16 months ago

From my perspective the CNPR program was great. I already knew how to sell and have great customer relationship skills, the only area I needed improvement in was my knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry. Now I have It!
T
I was told about this blog from the NAPSRX and want to thank them for their help and support.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Danny Tomkins in Sacramento, California

16 months ago

To Jennifer from above: It took me about 70 hours of study time to complete the entire program. I hope that helps you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Caroline Nissa in Hartford, Connecticut

15 months ago

I asked a lot of pharmaceutical sales reps over the weekend at my friends barbecue. I was lucky and there happened to be 3 pharma reps there. By the way the we had a blast. Anyways, I just wanted to tell everyone on this blog that they all recommended the CNPR program. The said if you are entry level it is important to show companies that you have industry knowledge.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lance Valfred in Trenton, New Jersey

15 months ago

I expect that most people understand that is important to take training if you want to get into pharmaceutical sales. That makes common sense for any profession you want to go into.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda Robinson III in Durham, North Carolina

15 months ago

I just completed my certification test over the Labor Day weekend. I found it to be challenging as it should be, but very rewarding. As I submitted my test, I felt an amazing feeling of confidence that I can now go out there and be considered a qualified pharmaceutical sales rep with training in the industry that will give me the edge I need to succeed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana

15 months ago

Why would anyone try to convince people there are open jobs? If there were, they wouldn't need to be advertised.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

I would use INDEED as you will see there are thousands of pharmaceutical sales jobs out there. You could spend all day just trying to apply to them.

15 months ago

If you do just a search on INDEED for Connecticut pharmaceutical sales jobs there over 218 hits. WOW!!! I used INDEED it is the best!!!!!

Lance Valfred in Trenton, New Jersey

15 months ago

Here is a really good job here in New Jersey:

City Newark
State New Jersey [NJ]
Title New Jersey-Pharmaceutical Sales Representative

Overview inVentiv Health offers best-in-class Clinical, Consulting and Commercial services to global companies seeking to accelerate performance. With 13,000 employees in 40 countries, we rapidly transform promising ideas into commercial reality. inVentiv has committed itself to hiring and retaining the very best talent in the healthcare industry, those who have a single common characteristic: the desire and aptitude to succeed. We are focused on hiring the best, those who possess unparalleled knowledge and experience as well as a passion for delivering exceptional ideas and service to our clients. In turn, inVentiv provides an opportunity-rich environment where employees can grow as professionals in one of many disciplines and pursue long-term career goals throughout our worldwide network of locations.

inVentiv Recruitment Services, a division of inVentiv Health, offers unparalleled Direct Placement and Project Sales opportunities with our numerous clients for highly qualified and accomplished candidates. Our team has successfully partnered with over 200 Pharmaceutical, Biotechnology and Medical Device companies to recruit top sales and clinical talent. In just the past 5 years, inVentiv Recruitment Services has placed over 9,000 field-based Sales, Clinical and Management professionals with our Clients.

Responsibilities We are currently seeking a highly motivated, results oriented professional for the role of Sales Representative to manage a North/Central NJ territory.
Representatives will be calling directly on healthcare providers and seeking to activate physicians to recommend and utilize the services of the weight management business for their patients, focused on total office pull-through activities through:

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Todd Tourei in Atlanta, Georgia

15 months ago

Yea I would agree. There are certainly pharmaceutical sales positions out there, but if you don't have training for the field and someone else does, its pretty obvious who is going to get hired.

15 months ago

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana said: Why would anyone try to convince people there are open jobs? If there were, they wouldn't need to be advertised.

Since when don't people advertise jobs??? LOL
why do you think indeed, monster, ladders etc are even around?
SMH...seriously

BevLaw in San Diego, California

15 months ago

I am looking to buy a used 2013 NAPSRX manual to pass the CNPR program. Can you email Beverly.lawrence601@yahoo.com if anyone out there wants to sell. I would pay up to $125 for it.

15 months ago

My friend recommended me to apply with ASTRAZENECA if you want to work in Pharmaceutical Sales, here is a description:

Pharmaceutical Sales Rep - AstraZeneca

DESCRIPTION: External Summary of Primary Responsibilities:
Responsibilities:
- Function independently with a high degree of sales proficiency.
- Develop superior product and disease state knowledge and effectively educate and engage healthcare professionals in dialogue about clinical evidence, approved indications, and product efficacy/safety profiles to support on-label prescribing for appropriate patients.
- Drive sales performance and ensure sales forecasts and assigned budgets meet or exceed therapeutic and territory expectations.
- Achieve and exceed sales goals while managing a budget using good judgment.
- Successfully complete all training requirements, including product examinations.
- Regularly use a variety of analytical tools to understand and evaluate the business in order to best determine how to accomplish sales objectives.
- Develop and maintain in-depth knowledge of market, demographic, and managed care information relative to assigned sales territory.
- Work with Regional Sales Director and District Sales Manager to develop a local strategy and business plan to generate recognizable increases of sales in territory.
- Capitalize on formulary approvals and other opportunities through effective implementation of the Strategic Targeting Plan.
- Use a wide variety of promotional resources, analytical tools, and resource personnel to maximize effectiveness in assigned sales territory, based on local assessment of customer needs.

15 months ago

Here is the link to apply:

www.astrazeneca-us.com/careers

I hope this helps everyone!!!

15 months ago

Mike-Pharmaceutical Sales Manager in Washington, District of Columbia said: The CNPR will help you get interviews, make sure you interview well and prepare for them properly.

I'm so glad that the NAPSRx exists. This lucrative industry is often "cloaked" in secrecy as to how to get in. I am grateful to the association for offering the CNPR training and pharmaceutical sales vocational education. I know this helped me and I sure hundreds of others. Keep up the good work.

15 months ago

Mike-Pharmaceutical Sales Manager in Washington, District of Columbia said: There are alot of companies that are out there hiring . Yea, they did go through alot of restructuring based on changes in regulation, but pharma repping is still pretty lucrative. Just gotta get the right training to be successful. I found a pretty good job board at www.napsronline.org if that helps.

I was willing to do what it takes to become part of the Pharmaceutical industry. I needed a career change and this is what I wanted to do and worth competing for. The best way to compete for interviews and job offers is through completing the CNPR program.

Erin Eldon in Colorado Springs, Colorado

15 months ago

bobbyflakes in Boca Raton, Florida said: I am currently in the field right now. It did take a while, but dont be discouraged. Just keep sending your resume directly to the companies hiring in your area. The CNPR training will prepare you for the industry knowledge-wise, but it cant guarantee you a job. Make sure the most important information is first on your resume(experience, CNPR, sales, etc), which gives the employer the what he/she is looking for first, and try to keep it short and sweet.

The NAPSRX has very impressive website and I plan on joining soon as a member. I only hear really great things about their CNPR program from other pharmaceutical sales reps and one actual pharma sales manager. Their Career Center is great and best of all it is free!!

Eric Theistein in Okemos, Michigan

15 months ago

Molly P. in Delray Beach, Florida said: I recommend using a good recruiter, the key is to find a good one. I would also acquire pharmaceutical sales training if you are entry level . The CNPR is the most popular and is industry recognized.

I personally want to thank Brad personally and the NAPSRX for giving me the opportunity to advance in the Pharmaceutical Sales Field, and the heads up on what recruiters are really looking for.

I have a good sales background with very little knowledge in the pharmaceutical field. Now with their help, I can be approved in the sales process as well as the Pharmaceutical Sales industry.

Tyler Woodsley in Scottsdale, Arizona

15 months ago

donnajnagel@yahoo.com in Clinton Township, Michigan said: Hi I am looking to break into Pharmacuetical sales. I have 10 years experience in Outside sales with great results. I sent in my resume to one Pharm company and they told me I need CNPR or Pharm Tech License to get an interview? Is this the new industry standard? Or a scam? The posting was from a recruiter.

Thank you NAPSRX for all your help. I greatly appreciate the CNPR training material provided. I find it to be very useful in my training for certification! I am now ready for a career in pharmaceutical sales.

Brad Sipolta in Edmund, Oklahoma

15 months ago

Gretchen T. In Madison, WI said: The CNPR is a well respected program within the industry and should be taken by all entry level reps.

Steven thank you for contact me and yes I am happy to put in a good word for the NAPSRx as I very much enjoyed your CNPR training course. I found it to be a
perfect match for my sales background, and it was strong proof to all of my
potential employers of my dedication to landing a position as a
pharmaceutical sales representative. Everyone that I interviewed with
expressed what a strong impression it made, and I am confident that my CNPR
Certification was essential to my offering. I couldn't recommend
highly enough for anyone in my position that is serious about transitioning
into pharmaceutical sales to take this course. This very well could be the
best investment that I've ever made, and I am proud to recommend this
training course to anyone that wants to break into this industry. Thank you
again.

15 months ago

donnajnagel@yahoo.com in Clinton Township, Michigan said: Hi I am looking to break into Pharmacuetical sales. I have 10 years experience in Outside sales with great results. I sent in my resume to one Pharm company and they told me I need CNPR or Pharm Tech License to get an interview? Is this the new industry standard? Or a scam? The posting was from a recruiter.

Thanks for your help with this and I will keep you posted on how things turn out. I do want to let everyone there know that this training program was a great motivator and a real eye opener to what the industry was all about. I can confidently say now that I am fully trained to be a pharmaceutical sales rep.

SS Tex in Dallas, Texas

15 months ago

JAPE in Kansas City, Missouri said: I just received my CNPR, and I haven't had any offers yet. Did you get an email saying that you need a license from a recruiter. I received that email, so I obtained my CNPR in 2 weeks, submitted an updated resume and and cover letter. They never responded after that.

Thank you Steven and everyone else there at the NAPSRx so much and I did learn alot from the CNPR pharmaceutical sales training manual and by completing the CNPR exam. And I am very excited and confident about continuing my search for a position within the pharmaceutical industry.

15 months ago

bobbyflakes in Boca Raton, Florida said: I am currently in the field right now. It did take a while, but dont be discouraged. Just keep sending your resume directly to the companies hiring in your area. The CNPR training will prepare you for the industry knowledge-wise, but it cant guarantee you a job. Make sure the most important information is first on your resume(experience, CNPR, sales, etc), which gives the employer the what he/she is looking for first, and try to keep it short and sweet.

I would like to thank you for my pharmaceutical training. I think the information given was very informative. I have been very happy with my training.

15 months ago

Everything that I heard states that the CNPR is a good program. I am sure these colleges offer this program for a reason, students take the course because they want to work in pharmaceutical sales.

15 months ago

You will find that more and more pharmaceutical companies are looking for the new hires to have completed some pharmaceutical sales training before they even interview them. I for one would certainly get certified if an employer was interested in me. You really can not find a career in 2012 where you would expect an employer to train you from scratch. Certification programs are an excellent opportunity to break into many healthcare careers (Surgical Tech, Med Tech, EMT, CNPR, etc)

Gregg Wolan in Louisville, Kentucky

15 months ago

The CNPR worked for me. I did have to interview with 3 different companies and it take a few months but it did pay off for me. I quickly sent out my resume after completing the program and it did take a few weeks to hear back but the interviews started to come. I know that my interviews went well but having pharmaceutical sales training was beneficial as it was mentioned quite a few times when interviewing and questions were related to having pharmacology education. All I can say is that the program worked for me!!!!

Steven Neece CNPR in Washington, District of Columbia

15 months ago

I want to thank Gretchen one of our members for emailing me (Steven Neece) this link today. Obviously, I am very disturbed to learn today that some anonymous person named “Enforcer” is trying to defame our trade association (NAPSRx) with some outlandish and false posts. First of all, if anyone has seen this blog and it has caused them concern I encouraging them to call me immediately. This forum does not allow me to post my phone number but simple go to our website at www.napsronline.org/ and hit contact us. You will see a toll free # there, call the 800 # and ask for me.

As far as the reputation, the NAPSRX has a verified solid track record for our educational performance, national conferences, Career Center, lobbying, industry leading training, as well as the leading source of trade info for Pharmaceutical Sales Representatives. The NAPSRx has over 53,000 pharmaceutical sales rep members and has been growing strongly since 2001. You will see several industry publications, leading conferences and government agencies that have recognized the NAPSRx. We have ZERO complaints with the BBB, you can go to www.bbb.com/ and enter our website and see for yourself.

I would like to address Mr. “Enforcer”’s statements one at a time. Again, if you have seen this and are concerned call me toll free, thank you.

1) We do not post fake jobs. You can go to our Career Center and see that the jobs link directly to the companies. The Career Center is free!

2) We are not a recruiter but a trade association. We do offer pharmaceutical sales training but we cannot guarantee employment to any student or graduate. The CNPR program simply provides vocational training for those looking to enter a career in pharmaceutical sales.

3) Again we do not recruit for companies but simply post jobs and provide pharmaceutical sales training.

15 months ago

4) The NAPSRX book is copyrighted every year and is the work was completed an owned by the NAPSRX. See copyright link cocatalog.loc.gov

5) And yes I do exist. Here is my linked in page: www.linkedin.com/pub/steven-neece-cnpr/49/744/8b3

You can call me or if anyone wants to meet me I will be at PHARMAFORCE next month with the below industry professionals, come and say hi!!!

PharmaForce attendees
www.wbresearch.com/pharmaforceusa/home.aspx

I am pretty sure that “Enforcer” is a competitor of some sort. I really did not think we had any enemies. I can tell you that he or she is definitely not a student or a former student. I always encourage anyone to call me directly if they have any kind of issue with us.
Sincerely, Steve Neece sneece@napsronline.org

Riot in Massachusetts

15 months ago

It's clear that this company is paying people, either in-house or a separate business/individual, to build buzz for their certifications. I know that I would never consider buying a product, "educational" or otherwise, from a business that would so blatantly resort to such practices. If this certification was worth anyone's time, it would stand on its own without the need to be pumped up by the company that offered it.

15 months ago

FYI
As far as the reputation, the NAPSRX has a verified solid track record for our educational performance, national conferences, Career Center, lobbying, industry leading training, as well as the leading source of trade info for Pharmaceutical Sales Representatives. The NAPSRx has over 53,000 pharmaceutical sales rep members and has been growing strongly since 2001. You will see several industry publications, leading conferences and government agencies that have recognized the NAPSRx. We have ZERO complaints with the BBB, you can go to www.bbb.com/ and enter our website and see for yourself.

15 months ago

We do not post fake jobs. You can go to our Career Center and see that the jobs link directly to the companies. The Career Center is free!

We are not a recruiter but a trade association. We do offer pharmaceutical sales training but we cannot guarantee employment to any student or graduate. The CNPR program simply provides vocational training for those looking to enter a career in pharmaceutical sales.

Again we do not recruit for companies but simply post jobs and provide pharmaceutical sales training.

Mr. Riot, are you a student of ours?? Just call me what are you afraid of. Unless you are a competitor.

Riot in Massachusetts

15 months ago

Steven Neece CNPR in Washington, District of Columbia said:

Mr. Riot, are you a student of ours?? Just call me what are you afraid of. Unless you are a competitor.

I'm neither a student nor a competitor. I'm a concerned citizen.

15 months ago

Mr. Riot, just call me tomorrow at my office and I look forward to helping you. Thanks.
Steven Neece

12 months ago

Todd Tourei in Atlanta, Georgia said: I would like to thank you for my pharmaceutical training. I think the information given was very informative. I have been very happy with my training.

All I can say is that the CNPR is a good program.

lol in Birmingham, Michigan

12 months ago

CNPR is not required for a pharma sales job ... the NPSRx program is a scam and all the user names that posted positively about them are scammers that work for that company ... shame on these people trying to con others

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

LindsayH in Newark, Ohio

11 months ago

Kerry M. In Lima OH said: I am a pharmaceutical sales rep here in Ohio and I do recommend the CNPR program if u are looking to become a pharmaceutical sales rep.

I would be interested to know more. I don't know much, but I do have good sale experience.

Ivette in Tampa, Florida

10 months ago

I am a Certified Pharmacy Technician with an Associates and working on my Bachelors degree. I am thinking of ordering the NPSRx program but have some questions. I see a lot of job post for Pharmaceutical Sale Reps but all require sales experience. I do not have sales experience, is it worth trying to pursue a career that might not even give me the time of day because i do not have the required sales experience?(Applied Sciences in Health Care Administration and currently Bachelors online student HCA)

Evelyn in Madison, Mississippi

10 months ago

BevLaw in San Diego, California said: Here is the link to apply:

www.astrazeneca-us.com/careers

I hope this helps everyone!!!

I'm studying for the CNPR program as we speak.... But, I have NO sales training! Will I still be able to find a job as a pharmaceutical sales rep just by completing this certification program??

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.