Last year of BSN Want to Enter Pharm Sales for a Career

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Crissy in Waynesburg, Pennsylvania

75 months ago

I am a senior nursing student graduating in may 2009. I am interested in the pharmaceutical sales industry, because I feel like I am cut out for more than just a nurse. I thrive on change, and I have nothing holding me down. I am near the top of my class, but I am just not interested in the clinical setting at a hospital. I am high-strung, outgoing, and attractive. I am currently a bartender on the weekends making about 300 in tips a shift. The only sales experience I have had was in a Tanning Salon- where I would make commission on every bottle of lotion I would sell to a client. Any tips, ideas, helpful thoughts on my future prospects??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rivka in Seattle, Washington

75 months ago

What are you doing in nursing school then? For the sake of those of us who do thrive on change and face unfathomable challenges everyday, perhaps you are not ready to be "just a nurse".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Crissy in Waynesburg, Pennsylvania

75 months ago

the ability to get a job anywhere, have flexible hours, and a good paycheck for being a new graduate- i believe that nursing is a good profession and there are many challenges that they do face daily... I have high respect for ICU and ER nurses as I do for medical/surgical nurses- however, i just feel as though it seems like it would be routine daily with its ups and downs just like every other job. The reason I am starting this forum is because I want to know more about the pharmaceutical sales position and what it entails, because I have experienced the nursing profession and it doesn't seem right for me-

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

julia in York, Pennsylvania

75 months ago

anybody help
How do I start??? I am diagnostic sonographer, cant do it anymore
I need some info
thanks
gulichka2007@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Roz DeVaux in Hudson, Ohio

75 months ago

I am also looking for an entry level pharma job. I took the NASPR program but this did not produce any results. I feel that I should have taken the ASPR certification as they guarantee at least an initial job interview.

If anyone has any input on which program they felt was better and more successful please let me know.

I would consider both part time or full time. I am actually looking overseas as I speak fluent Thai. Maybe other countries will hire U.S citizens. Seems no companies are actively hiring in Michigan or Ohio and am willing to relocate Internationally.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mkt123 in Richmond, Virginia

49 months ago

Crissy in Waynesburg, Pennsylvania said: I am a senior nursing student graduating in may 2009. I am interested in the pharmaceutical sales industry, because I feel like I am cut out for more than just a nurse. I thrive on change, and I have nothing holding me down. I am near the top of my class, but I am just not interested in the clinical setting at a hospital. I am high-strung, outgoing, and attractive. I am currently a bartender on the weekends making about 300 in tips a shift. The only sales experience I have had was in a Tanning Salon- where I would make commission on every bottle of lotion I would sell to a client. Any tips, ideas, helpful thoughts on my future prospects??

Hi Crissy,
I have been a nurse for many, many years, and was never really passionate about my job. I recently went to a career placement and counselor, had some testing done and asked many questions. I decided to leave the clinical side of nursing and enter into sales/marketing field. To do this, a business background was highly advised. You need to either get a degree in business or a MBA. I will be completing my MBA in May. Your nursing education is not lost, you are just using it in a different focus area. IF you persue the business background and have your nursing degree, I know that you are looking at a very successful, fulfilling career. You are young, take your time and follow your gut. DO NOT stay where you are unhappy. I also advise you to check out different companies like McKesson, GE Medical, etc. and see what kind of jobs they have and what there requirements are. I have a friend that is a nurse with a biz degree. She is vice president of health care for GE Medical. She has a wonderful life. Do not pay any attention to the remarks posted. You are exactly where you should be, and you will go exactly where you should be. Good Luck. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and know what you want to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

rxfiller in Las Vegas, Nevada

48 months ago

Good Luck!! Majority of the pharmacuetical companies are downsizing. I am a pharmacist and my husband worked for a major pharmaceutical company for 29 years and was let go due to the company getting rid of 70% of its sales force. Pharmaceutical sales is NOT like it used to be. I would stay in nursing and make sure I had a job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

KRISTEN in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

48 months ago

I'm having the same problem. I'm a senior in nursing school and I hate it! but i'm running out of time and money. so changing my major is not an option...
any ideas for what kind of field i can get into after a graduate? i deeply do not want to go work in a hospital
thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

mkt123 in Colonial Heights, Virginia

48 months ago

There is also durable medical sales,instead of pharmaceuticals. Also check out places like DuPont, Owens and Minor, NovoDisk (Insuslin pen) reps. Mckesson makes the equivalent of the Pyxis system for medication. But remember if you are young and newly married, have small children, etc. these are tough jobs. You will travel approximately 70% of the time. Any type of health informatics is a good field. You will also travel with that type of career because you will be expected to go from hospital to hospital and teach. GE medical is an awesome company to work for. In the meantime, that nursing license is a VISA card in your pocket. You will never starve. Keep readnig and looking, look around at different products in the hospital and see who makes them. Consider paying a few bucks and make an appointment with a career counselor, have testing done, and see if that changes the trajectory a little.

Do not through the baby out with the bath water. Get a business degree. Work for Johnson & Johnson. Bobbie Brown (make-up queen) hires nurses from time to time because she sponsors something called "Dress for Success." Dress for success is a way to help underpriveledged women.

The bottom line is, what to you really want to do? What are you passionate about?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.