Cannot find a job as a pharmacist in the USA. Unemployed pharmacist seeking helpful advice please

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 64)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

MichaelPharmD in New Jersey

26 months ago

I have been active on this site for a while. I have been looking for pharmacy work for over a year. I was able to get per diem but they only give me one shift a month.

I have a PharmD, residency, certifications, and experience; however, jobs are not out there. I have spoken to recruiters that tell me they do not have anything.

I search on Indeed and see RPHontheGo spamming fake positions which makes it really hard to find anything.

I have applied to every job I see on indeed in a 200 mile radius along with being licensed in more than one state. Can anyone offer any sort of advice? I call to followup on my submitted resumes but the company recruiters tell me the match-up qualifications and pass on resumes.

I have applied for jobs only to be denied 4 hours later telling me the job is already filled. Are most of these posted jobs just formalities of Human Resources to post a position? I am really trying to find anything I can. I apply to every job I see posted the day it is posted. I spend about 4 hours a day looking for jobs. I know local pharmacists who also trying to help out but they even said that there are no jobs being created.

I am in NJ and licensed in another state as well.

Please any helpful advice would be appreciated. This is destroying my resume, my confidence, and my support of this profession. I have been a pharmacist for a number of years. I have emailed posts on craigslist offering to work for less than anyone else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

spar335 in Auckland, New Zealand

26 months ago

Maybe move to a rural part of America and work there? Just keep trying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

I have been trying for a year. I am not sure why my resume is being overlooked. I think a lot of posts are just formality posts from HR when they already know who they are hiring.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rupa in Reston, Virginia

26 months ago

Michael i have been looking for pharmacist job for 2 years now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Wow, Rupa! That is very long. How long have you been a pharmacist? I should note that I graduated from pharmacy school in the USA and I am a naturalized american citizen.

My wife does not believe how difficult the situation is. I am thinking of going back to school. Any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

rupa in Reston, Virginia

26 months ago

I got my license in Dec 2010 and have been volunteering at a clinic. I am not sure if Pharm D alone is a good idea since specialization is important these days and the idea of owing loans and still not having a job is just scary.

QUOTE who="MichaelPharmD in New Jersey"]Wow, Rupa! That is very long. How long have you been a pharmacist? I should note that I graduated from pharmacy school in the USA and I am a naturalized american citizen.

My wife does not believe how difficult the situation is. I am thinking of going back to school. Any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

tammy in Woodbridge, New Jersey

26 months ago

spar335 is right about the rural areas. Especially the midwest like Iowa, they do have several openings for pharmacist. If you don't mind relocating, at least until the economy picks back up

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

spar335 in Auckland, New Zealand

26 months ago

@tammy. Its the same situation here in New Zealand. Only rural places have lots of pharmacy job openings, the cities don't. I figured the same might apply in the states.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Danna RPH in Boca Raton, Florida

26 months ago

MichaelPharmD in New Jersey said: I have been active on this site for a while. I have been looking for pharmacy work for over a year. I was able to get per diem but they only give me one shift a month.

I have a PharmD, residency, certifications, and experience; however, jobs are not out there. I have spoken to recruiters that tell me they do not have anything.

I search on Indeed and see RPHontheGo spamming fake positions which makes it really hard to find anything.

I have applied to every job I see on indeed in a 200 mile radius along with being licensed in more than one state. Can anyone offer any sort of advice? I call to followup on my submitted resumes but the company recruiters tell me the match-up qualifications and pass on resumes.

I have applied for jobs only to be denied 4 hours later telling me the job is already filled. Are most of these posted jobs just formalities of Human Resources to post a position? I am really trying to find anything I can. I apply to every job I see posted the day it is posted. I spend about 4 hours a day looking for jobs. I know local pharmacists who also trying to help out but they even said that there are no jobs being created.

I am in NJ and licensed in another state as well.

Please any helpful advice would be appreciated. This is destroying my resume, my confidence, and my support of this profession. I have been a pharmacist for a number of years. I have emailed posts on craigslist offering to work for less than anyone else.

I feel the same way, thankfully I have only out of work for 5 months, have been in retail for almost 30 years. Clinical/hospital is not an option for a BS with no experience. Tired of making CEO rich by working my butt off. Thinking of opening my own drug store. Am I crazy? Would you be interested in partnering that idea in South Florida? Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Like I said, I will work any shift given to me at any time. I just need to find something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tom in Dallas, Texas

25 months ago

Pharmacist / Intern position available.H1 can be filed for intrested candidate. Please contact at bthomas@ritecarerx.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Sam in Amman, Jordan

25 months ago

hello there guys how r u all??i wanna ask u somthing am a foreign pharmD and i want to go to the us and u know a licensded pharmacist there..but i heard thats its very hard these days to get an internship for foriegners...so whats ur advise plz??should i come and there is a good chance that i will find one???.....sorry for bothering u all

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

tammy in Iselin, New Jersey

25 months ago

Sorry to hear that Michael. Did you try signing up for temp agencies like Lab Support for Research temp positions. Alot of times these assignments are 3 months but helpful while you wait for a pharmacist position. You can sign up with several agencies, and call them regularly to follow up. Since there are lots of bio companies in NJ, it might help. Don't give up though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

pharmacist in Melvindale, Michigan

25 months ago

Did you try to apply to the chain pharmacies? like CVS? I know that they are always in need.I can look for a recruiters emails for you, if you want. When did you graduate?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Canuck in Markham, Ontario

25 months ago

Hey could you get me those contacts in MI for CVS. I made the mistake of moving back to Canada where American credentials are trivialized and looking to move back to the US. My e-mail address is anchowdhry@gmail.com. Thanks a million.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Danna RPH in Boca Raton, Florida

25 months ago

stay in canada no jobs in good old USA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Canuck in Kitchener, Ontario

25 months ago

Really Dana? Not even somewhere down south like Texas or FL? I guess the deluge of new pharmacy schools is churning out new graduates at a dizzying clip

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ayah

25 months ago

Dear michael...my husband and I are both pharmacists. We owned our own pharmacy for 4 years. I have even worked for Novartis in NJ as recently as 2007. We have both been unemployed for a year now. Weoved to Hawaii and no work, not in Nj or CT or here now either. UH graduated their 1st pharmacy class last year and now the market is flooded because the population here cannot support 200 pharmacy grads every year. I don't know how the school had that program approved and accredited. That is a part of the problem. When I was in college circa 2000 thee were 83 US schools of pharmacy while just 12 years later there are 130. What a growth. Too bad the population growth doesn't match that rate even in urban areas. Not to mention the # of pharmacies are decreasing thanks to mail order PBMs. That is what put my husband and I out of a job and about 12 of our employees as well. The problem with the field of pharmacy is multifactorial. And we to are considering returning to school. A big part of me believes the same thing might happen again so schools my last resort.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

I know what you mean Ayah. I have student loans of almost $200,000 right now. I do not think I could return to school because I am maxed out on federal aid limits from pharmacy school. I am stuck in pharmacy with no way out. Still cannot find work at all :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CAPharmD in Stockton, California

23 months ago

These comments are consistent with my own experience in California. There are simply NO pharmacist jobs or opportunities any longer (August 2012). I haven’t worked a 40-hour week in 20 months though I do luckily manage 3 or 4 days a month, picking up shifts for friends who vacation and/or who need a day off now and then. Matters are absolutely dreadful in Central California –areas like Sacramento, Stockton, Modesto, Merced, Tracy are veritable “dead zones’’—and I have to drive at least 1.5 hours away just to secure what little work I can. The ever-increasing price of gas doesn’t help my bottom line, nor does my private health insurance whose premiums are jumping 22% in only 7 months of having new coverage! It is becoming impossible to stay afloat. For me and my background, I work most pharmacy settings--compounding, outpatient, corrections, long-term care, retail, clinic and some inpatient—and still have trouble finding good, consistent work.

Today, we pharmacists are now dispensable or outright disposable. Competition for pharmacist jobs is cut-throat and most prospective employers don’t even bother to call back or return emails. The level of flakiness is unprecedented. I hardly recognize the profession any longer. Pharmacist rates of pay are going down, we’re given less and less in the way of benefits, and they are cutting most fulltime hours (to avoid the benefits outright). Too many pharmacists are being graduated from schools whose high tuition costs cannot be justified in today’s market place where there are simply no jobs available, and just the same, there are too many older pharmacists who aren’t willing to retire from the profession because they want to boost what little retirement they have (I cannot say I blame them, really). All in all, it makes for a sobering situation and I think no relief is in sight. I have thought of changing careers but going back to school is out of the question. More school is NOT the answer!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

guest in San Mateo, California said: Even worse is that we are producing more and more pharmacists. Heald College goes out and recruits suckers (oops students!) for its worthless pharmacy technology program to enter "the booming pharmacy field".

Yeah – you’re right! I feel sorry for the pharmacy techs in those lousy schools – they pay 15-20K for their tuition and find out (all too quickly) that there are no technician jobs out there to help fund their debt. Without a job, how can they manage to pay their tuition/debt costs? The schools totally rip them off. And US pharmacy schools are NOT without blame for allowing their skyrocketing tuition to get out of control, knowing full well there are no jobs awaiting their newly-minted graduates. How can they pay their debt if there are NO jobs? It’s such a joke. Friggin’ ridiculous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Seymour, Connecticut

23 months ago

Apple online directly at Walgreens and CVS or Duane Reade. Dont waste your time with recruiters.

Those 3 companies are always hiring. Dont be afraid to move.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Ivan Von Messer in Boston, Massachusetts

22 months ago

I am now unemployed for more than a year (1.5) I have three years of experience in an outpatient setting, certified to provide immunizations, up to date on my CE, and can speak two languages. None of that is helping. It is even difficult these days to contact recruiters by phone because they find every single way not to talk to you. Someone once suggested to visit hospitals' HR departments and directly ask for a job. This is a joke. Nobody will speak to you, and all you will get, "go search and apply at our website" Honestly, I do not believe that once you are unemployed as a pharmacist you can find a job! So far I was unable to accomplish this, and I feel that I simply do not get serious considerations. Within 8 months of continuous search, I only had 3 interviews. I showed up just to hear that I never officially held a supervising pharmacist title, and that they are looking for someone with strong managerial skills. Can't employers see that from my CV??? I sent tones of requests to apply for a job. But I feel that most job postings are fakes, which are created by employers to fake that the economy is getting better. I do strongly believe that HR staff know in advance who they are going to hire before they post positions. However, they have to interview a certain number of people for a "check-mark" so they will not be accused for hiring pharmacists in a corrupted way. I am searching for a job in New York City. I need an advise... How do you overcome the problem that you are unemployed when you search for a job? Employers do not take you seriously thinking that your skills faded or outdated. Guess what? If you ask them to give you a relevant skill evaluation exam, they simply refuse. So if you are unemployed as a pharmacist, do you have to forget about your profession? Please give me an advise; it will be highly appreciated. My email is ivan_kaprielb@hotmail.com. I think that we pharmacists need somehow involve the government to resolve these problems.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

(Ivan in Boston, Massachusetts) Do not despair. I know exactly what you’re going through (see my previous rants above). First thing is first. Get connected to social media sites and start pushing your qualifications and experience. I just started using LinkedIn (was never a fan before) and have since gotten two (2) interviews for pharmacist positions in my area [I know they’re just interviews BUT I haven’t had an interview in 2 months! At least it’s a start and it gives me confidence and momentum]. LinkedIn will get you connected to professionals like yourself and other healthcare professionals who are looking either to hire talent or network with it. LinkedIn is another resource; it may not promise you the best results but it helps present who you are and what you have to offer. It’s like having your own highly effective pharmacist recruiter and it’s completely free. The next thing is to NOT tell prospective employers you are out of work. That is the “kiss of death”. Employers will pass you over if you tell them you have been out of work for long stretches of time; they actually see it as a weakness, which is strange and sad since many well-qualified professionals are out of work for more than 6 months. Remember it’s a buyer’s market today and employers can do and say what they want. Next thing is to get a PT job doing anything. I do construction work on the side. This gets me out of the house, into the fresh air, and I have a purpose and goal each day. It gives me confidence. I feel wanted and needed. I am grateful for and humbled by the experience. Plus the money can help with food/bills. And remember to downsize your personal expenses – just get down to the bare minimum on what you need to survive; this will give you more breathing room and more and more money in your pocket. Next thing is to get out of the house. Get out of the routine of looking for work/sending out your CV. This will help to stop anxiety and depression, your two biggest enemies! I'll email u!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sahith in Hyderabad, India

17 months ago

Hi, my self sahith... I'm from India. I'm doing my pharm d 5th year...I am planning to come to u.s after my completion of course...as i know I should go for Naplex test for my registration...but with out registration will I get any job.....can any pls help me....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

Frances1010 in Brooklyn, New York

14 months ago

Has BPS certification helped anyone get employed? I too have been looking over two years. Sad situation, new students outright being lied too about the "exaggerated" shortage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Frances1010 in Brooklyn, New York

14 months ago

Ivan Von Messer in Boston, Massachusetts said: I am now unemployed for more than a year (1.5) I have three years of experience in an outpatient setting, certified to provide immunizations, up to date on my CE, and can speak two languages. None of that is helping. It is even difficult these days to contact recruiters by phone because they find every single way not to talk to you. Someone once suggested to visit hospitals' HR departments and directly ask for a job. This is a joke. Nobody will speak to you, and all you will get, "go search and apply at our website" Honestly, I do not believe that once you are unemployed as a pharmacist you can find a job! So far I was unable to accomplish this, and I feel that I simply do not get serious considerations. Within 8 months of continuous search, I only had 3 interviews. I showed up just to hear that I never officially held a supervising pharmacist title, and that they are looking for someone with strong managerial skills. Can't employers see that from my CV??? I sent tones of requests to apply for a job. But I feel that most job postings are fakes, which are created by employers to fake that the economy is getting better. I do strongly believe that HR staff know in advance who they are going to hire before they post positions. However, they have to interview a certain number of people for a "check-mark" so they will not be accused for hiring pharmacists in a corrupted way. I am searching for a job in New York City . I need an advise... How do you overcome the problem that you are unemployed when you search for a job? Employers do not take you seriously thinking that your skills faded or outdated. Guess what? If you ask them to give you a relevant skill evaluation exam, they simply refuse. So if you are unemployed as a pharmacist, do you have to forget about your profession? Please give me an advise; it will be highly appreciated. My email is ivan_kaprielb@hotmail.com. I think that we pharmacists need somehow involv

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

UsedRph in Madison, Alabama

14 months ago

Danna RPH in Boca Raton, Florida said: stay in canada no jobs in good old USA

news.wfsu.org/post/house-approves-letting-pharmacists-oversee-six-times-many-technicians

14 months ago

Sahith in Hyderabad, India said: Hi, my self sahith... I'm from India. I'm doing my pharm d 5th year...I am planning to come to u.s after my completion of course...as i know I should go for Naplex test for my registration...but with out registration will I get any job.....can any pls help me....

news.wfsu.org/post/house-approves-letting-pharmacists-oversee-six-times-many-technicians

14 months ago

Frances1010 in Brooklyn, New York said: Has BPS certification helped anyone get employed? I too have been looking over two years. Sad situation, new students outright being lied too about the "exaggerated" shortage.

Here you go...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

If you are unemployed get a job... But in pharmacy who is kidding who here

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

CAPharmD in Stockton, California said: Yeah – you’re right! I feel sorry for the pharmacy techs in those lousy schools – they pay 15-20K for their tuition and find out (all too quickly) that there are no technician jobs out there to help fund their debt. Without a job, how can they manage to pay their tuition/debt costs? The schools totally rip them off. And US pharmacy schools are NOT without blame for allowing their skyrocketing tuition to get out of control, knowing full well there are no jobs awaiting their newly-minted graduates. How can they pay their debt if there are NO jobs? It’s such a joke. Friggin’ ridiculous.

There will be PLENTY of pharmacy tech jobs CREATED out there at the various pharmacy ententies: Pharmacy tech's are the future in pharmacy and legislation will make that happen :

14 months ago

CAPharmD in Stockton, California said: Yeah – you’re right! I feel sorry for the pharmacy techs in those lousy schools – they pay 15-20K for their tuition and find out (all too quickly) that there are no technician jobs out there to help fund their debt. Without a job, how can they manage to pay their tuition/debt costs? The schools totally rip them off. And US pharmacy schools are NOT without blame for allowing their skyrocketing tuition to get out of control, knowing full well there are no jobs awaiting their newly-minted graduates. How can they pay their debt if there are NO jobs? It’s such a joke. Friggin’ ridiculous.

14 months ago

RxGuy35 in Jacksonville, Florida

14 months ago

the politicians are ignorant a**holes.... I've worked with many techs that are absolutely worthless... working with them/working by yourself.....same difference..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in London, Ontario

13 months ago

I graduated in 2011, did all the required examinations and got my qualifications and jurisprudence exam in Ontario and I still haven't found an internship and I live in a rural area. I want to get out of pharmacy, but I put so much effort, hard work and money into and I just don't know what to do anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rx Veteran in Maryland

11 months ago

MichaelPharmD in New Jersey said:

I have a PharmD, residency, certifications, and experience;
however, jobs are not out there.

Spamming fake positions which makes it really hard to find anything.

Are most of these posted jobs just formalities of Human Resources to post a position?

Yes, the jobs you see are posted because employers are required to publicly announce jobs. However, they are already filled. There is
back door hiring of students/new pharmds who are connected with the school. Soon they quit, because they can't handle the work flow. Then they are at the mercy of Corporate Retail. You know what happens then..
Folks end up in your situation.

All of the BS sold to you, by the school, but no way to use it. The real thing that angers me? The schools know it. They are selling degrees that cost 6 figures knowing there's no market. There is no market directly because of the schools. The schools are actively, knowing, overselling a product, that is worthless. Sounds criminal? Sounds like Fraud? Remember the new lawyer who sued her school because she couldn't get a job?

Rx Veteran in Maryland

11 months ago

John in London, Ontario said: I graduated in 2011, did all the required examinations and got my qualifications and jurisprudence exam in Ontario and I still haven't found an internship and I live in a rural area. I want to get out of pharmacy, but I put so much effort, hard work and money into and I just don't know what to do anymore.

WOW, Canada also. Sigh. Suggest looking at health care growth areas.
Some retraining would allow you to become any thing you wanted.
I was thinking about this. Don't believe what you read. Ask providers.
Look for real growth or ways to use both degrees. Toxicology?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

fawad in Hoboken, New Jersey

10 months ago

every notice how every pharmacist in rite aid cvs etc in the NJ area seems to have graduated outside the USA? why? because they will work for less. I have a proposal. Make licensing hard. I went to medical school in the carribean , The same thing happens for residencies. You have tons of indians who try to make to america to compete for limted IMG spots. In medicine first preference goes to US grads hands down regardless of scores. I know my little brother went to a DO school had way lower scores and matched immediately. Whereas I applied to 200 programs and got 10 interviews. Anyway , in medicine you have a CS exam. A communication skills exams basically a 12 patient practical. This weeds outs a lot of foreigners. They have somehting similiar in canada . Introduce the same here. I bet you half those guys with thick accents and awful interpersonal skills will be gone

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

ps im a Rutgers Pharmacy grad....i saw this coming way back when I was at rite aid.....i went to a carribean medical school which was a mistake as i have a repeat attempt on a Step 2 cs but overall I had the right idea....should have went to a DO school

10 months ago

i mean to say there is a communication skill exams for pharmacists in canada.....maybe something similiar should be introduced here....it will reduce the number of people getting licensed and will definitely knock out some of those foreign phamracists

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

since i didnt match into a medical residency (my fault alone because of my attempts on usmle step 2 cs) i was forced to look for a pharmacist job. unfortunately i burned some bridges with all the chains which was not smart(thats how i paid med sch)i kept on leaving and going back as required to pay tuition for med sch. anyway after continuous job seach and i mean continuurs.....i would sit for hours on indeed apply everywhere....talk to recruiters....i luckily found a job in a rural area......as i was studying for step 2 cs i was temping at different hospitals in nyc...and i realized i was lucky to get the temp jobs as recent grads couldnt fined one....i was also tempiing at target for rph on the go......this itself i thought it was a step down for me as always ive been a pharmacy manager at rite for years before i went to med ssh....realized i was lucky to get that ....a target intern wanted rphonthegos number!!!! what the hell!!!!...this is how bad it is....i have hospital temping experience at big name nyc hsopitals and i applied for a full time job in iowa for a staff rph position and the recruiter told me they didnt want to interview as i didnt have enough experience HELLO ....I WORKED at NYU and your podunk hospital in bumblefuck IOWA says im no good....when a podunk hospital in Iowa can say no to someone with NYU BIMC MMSKC experience ,,,,,and that wastn it .....a hospital in vermont ....wanted a 12 questionaire for a staff pharmacist position !!!!!! i got knocked out at stage 2 ....i guess i was too honest...anyway i found a clinical pharmacist position finally.....but even then the pay is lower than it should be and this place is really rural...there are amish people who live there...it is bad

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

Rx Veteran in Maryland said: WOW, Canada also. Sigh. Suggest looking at health care growth areas.
Some retraining would allow you to become any thing you wanted.
I was thinking about this. Don't believe what you read. Ask providers.
Look for real growth or ways to use both degrees. Toxicology?

note she said internship its way harder to get licensed its not nabplex and the law exam its a MCQ plus a cs type clinical plus the law....once u do find the internship u will get the job....im a big favor in economic nationalism

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

FYI, for all those wondering, I never recovered into a fulltime Pharmacist job.

Per diem hours all disappeared as well. All pharmacies started hiring more and more per diem pharmacists and not any fulltime or part-time. This was to avoid paying benefits to save on budget. Now all he per diem people compete very hard for any hours. We cannot get any.

I am now enrolled in Nursing school. I will eventually leave pharmacy profession permanently. It was the biggest mistake I ever made. So many years wasted, lost income, acquired debt, ETC. I hope all undergraduates and current pharmacy students see these posts.

I am a USA born citizen that went to a good US pharmacy school. I am unable to find work as a pharmacist and support my family.

AVOID THIS FIELD!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No Reply - Report abuse

nancypharmd84 in Baltimore, Maryland

10 months ago

I was wondering about you! I started reading all the way back like 18 months ago. I was really hoping to see a happy ending to your story. When people hear I'm a pharmacist they think "easy street". No one believes I cannot find a job, they think I am lazy and enjoy staying at home all day. Good Luck with your nursing career. I tell everyone I know especially foreign graduates to stay where they come from. When I tell people I want to go back to dentistry school they laugh. I wish things were better.

MichaelPharmD in New Jersey said: FYI, for all those wondering, I never recovered into a fulltime Pharmacist job.

Per diem hours all disappeared as well. All pharmacies started hiring more and more per diem pharmacists and not any fulltime or part-time. This was to avoid paying benefits to save on budget. Now all he per diem people compete very hard for any hours. We cannot get any.

I am now enrolled in Nursing school. I will eventually leave pharmacy profession permanently. It was the biggest mistake I ever made. So many years wasted, lost income, acquired debt, ETC. I hope all undergraduates and current pharmacy students see these posts.

I am a USA born citizen that went to a good US pharmacy school. I am unable to find work as a pharmacist and support my family.

AVOID THIS FIELD!

10 months ago

Fawad,I don't think referring to foreigners in a derogatory way is appropriate or helps your situation at all. From your posts it seems your grammar isn't perfect yourself. I'm sensing your not as American as apple pie yourself. America is a "melting pot", its the land of opportunity, and everyone just wants a piece of the "american dream". Speaking from experience, my husband is a resident, and he is a foreign graduate, and the CS exam doesn't filter as much of the English as you would think. There are plenty of people that don't speak very good English. So, if these foreign graduates are still beating Caribbean schools for residency spots, what does that tell you? I'll tell you, it means that they are much more qualified, and their medical knowledge is a lot better than Caribbean School Graduates. In my opinion Caribbean Schools are a mistake and just a scam to make money. They don't provide a sufficient education to prepare their students for residency. Time and time again Caribbean graduates are being fired after their first year of residency.

fawad in Hoboken, New Jersey said: every notice how every pharmacist in rite aid cvs etc in the NJ area seems to have graduated outside the USA? why? because they will work for less. I have a proposal. Make licensing hard. I went to medical school in the carribean , The same thing happens for residencies. You have tons of indians who try to make to america to compete for limted IMG spots. In medicine first preference goes to US grads hands down regardless of scores. I know my little brother went to a DO school had way lower scores and matched immediately. Whereas I applied to 200 programs and got 10 interviews. Anyway , in medicine you have a CS exam. A communication skills exams basically a 12 patient practical. This weeds outs a lot of foreigners. They have somehting similiar in canada . Introduce the same here. I bet you half those guys with thick accents and awful interpersonal skills will be gone

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

I am a pharmacist and have been looking for a job for about a year, after reading these posts I realize I'm not alone. I have had a few phone interviews, but afterwards I don't get the job due to lack of experience. How can you get experience if you need experience to get experience. My suggestion to those of you who can afford it, is to volunteer at a hospital. I did that for my internship hours, and sure enough after a lot of hard work (3 months at 40 hours per week) I was given a job. Unfortunately, I had to move shortly after becoming a licensed pharmacist , and lost any chance of getting a position as a pharmacist at that hospital. Now, I may be moving again and some states (NY,LA,etc.) are saying I'm not eligible for Reciprocity due to lack of 1 year of experience as a pharmacist. In order to become licensed again I have to retake the NAPLEX,MPJE,and for NY a compounding exam! Just, so I can waste a year studying only to not find a job again. The reason I cannot volunteer is because I cant afford to put my two year old in a daycare for 1600/month! The US isn't what it used to be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

Nancy,

Most hospitals cannot have you volunteer as a pharmacist or in any healthcare field. It is a liability issue. The insurance does not cover "nonemployees". If a mistake happens and they had a non-employee pharmacist working, it is a big problem. Even if you are in the room where an error occurs, lawyers will ask why a non-employed pharmacist is in the room and may make a case stating the error occurred for that reason.

You truly are stuck.

Nancy, start a daycare business. You will be with your kids and make money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Todd in Madison Heights, Michigan

10 months ago

Ayah said: And we to are considering returning to school. A big part of me believes the same thing might happen again so schools my last resort.

When people say that it sends shivers up my back. It reminds me of someone that is dying of thirst in the ocean and drinks salt water only to get more thirsty.

Going back to school is drinking more salt water.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

9 months ago

Keith,

If you are earning money outside of pharmacy, you have no reason to return to school.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.