pharmacy technician salary

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 1267)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Newbie in Verona, Wisconsin

90 months ago

I just saw the graph for pharmacy technician salaries posted on this site. Pharm tech's making 30k+/yr??? Is this true? I'm a certified pharm tech at WAGS, and I only make ~10/hr. That's a little more than 20k/yr full time. Wow, does this mean there's hope for me? Give it to me straight, though, what kind of qualifications do these people have that I need? I like my job, but the low pay and seeming lack of advancement makes me dream of greener pastures.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (395) / No (67) Reply - Report abuse

Nai in Fresno, California

84 months ago

Newbie in Verona, Wisconsin said: I just saw the graph for pharmacy technician salaries posted on this site. Pharm tech's making 30k+/yr??? Is this true? I'm a certified pharm tech at WAGS, and I only make ~10/hr. That's a little more than 20k/yr full time. Wow, does this mean there's hope for me? Give it to me straight, though, what kind of qualifications do these people have that I need? I like my job, but the low pay and seeming lack of advancement makes me dream of greener pastures.

WEll i work for walgreens here in visalia,ca and been there for 3 years. i started at $13.25 and currently with ptcb certified is at $18.25, i make a little over 40k because of he overtime, sometimes 30+ hr overtime.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (143) / No (49) Reply - Report abuse

gerry in Sacramento, California

83 months ago

I work as a pharmacy tech, with overtime i am averaging seventy thousand dollars a year.I work inpatient in a large hospital.The job is not rocket science and can be repetitive,but it pays well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (145) / No (42) Reply - Report abuse

gerry in Sacramento, California

83 months ago

we get time and a half everyday after working 6 days in a row. i would work everyday including some double shifts.This is before i was married mind you,i worked up to 90 days in a row.At the time i was not going to school.i did this for 4 years.i used the money to buy two houses.I worked at the hospital for ten years. i quit two weeks ago to start a business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (87) / No (48) Reply - Report abuse

2Jazzy in Mobile, Alabama

83 months ago

Wow, so I guess this means that I may be getting underpaid big time. I am not yet certified (still waiting on my scores on October 12th) and having been making $8.00/hr since starting here at Kmart in May 2007. So the hospital allows you to get overtime? That's definitely what I need since in retail they don't allow you to get a single hour over 40.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (59) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

gerald in Roseville, California

83 months ago

Try to work at an inpatient hospital,preferably a larger one. I do inpatient IV,s Chemo and unit dose.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

Dr Jim in NY

83 months ago

I am a retired physician. I am interested in pharm. Do I need to take courses to take the exam? Do you need a college certificate inorder to sit for the exam?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (119) / No (43) Reply - Report abuse

Sandy in Portland, Oregon

83 months ago

I recently got licensed and certified here, and am having a hard time finding a pharmacy tech job. Everyone wants experience. Could anyone give me any advice on how to find a job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (194) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

angela in Everett, Washington

83 months ago

Dr Jim in NY said: I am a retired physician. I am interested in pharm. Do I need to take courses to take the exam? Do you need a college certificate inorder to sit for the exam?

No you don't need college course for the exam. Seeing you are a retired dr. you will be able to ace it. Good luck.

Angela

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Bobby in Mobile, Alabama

83 months ago

It seems that everyone is getting all worked about these guys in CA makin 16.00 to 24.00 per hr..where that may seem good if you live in Alabama...but if u do the math for cost of living in Cali...Their 16.00 to 24.00 per hr would be equivalent to about 8.00 to 12.00 per hr in alabama. Not trying to make anyone mad, i just dont want everyone feeling they are being under paid when they see these cali folks making so much..just my 2cents

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (173) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Maria in Bartlesville, Oklahoma

83 months ago

I just started at Walgreens in Oklahoma. And I make $10 and hour and I'm in triaing to be Senior Tech.. Which comes along with a raise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Becky

83 months ago

Martha in Dallas, Texas said: Specialty pharmacies deal more with high price meds so there more able to give a higher pay or also getting your IV certification opens the door to better paying jobs

How do you get your IV certification?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (63) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

michelle in Little Rock, Arkansas

82 months ago

kroger pharmacy pays 7.25 starting max 16.00

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Bashir in Saint Paul, Minnesota

82 months ago

I took the pharmacy tech. course online and got my diploma recently. I need to do get some experience before I apply for work since I did the course online, I didn't a chance to do practical. any suggestions how do I start?
thax

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Benjo in Saint Paul, Minnesota

82 months ago

Bashir in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: I took the pharmacy tech. course online and got my diploma recently. I need to do get some experience before I apply for work since I did the course online, I didn't a chance to do practical. any suggestions how do I start?
thax
Hi Bishir, I think the certification exam helps a lot. I didn't attend any class at all.I just studied some books by myself and took the PTCE. I got my result before a couple of weeks and my certificate, too. I have applied to nearby Walgreen and they hired me last week. They have also arranged on-job training for me. I think you already have the deploma. So taking PTCE will be easy for you. But it is a plus when it comes to getting job. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Help!! in Cary, North Carolina

82 months ago

Hello. I need some help. I am taking the Certified Pharmacy Tech exam in December and I am at a loss at what to study. I have worked in a pharmacy a total of 3 years but it has been over a year since I have worked in a pharmacy. Any hints on what to study?? What kind of questions do they ask? Is the exam difficult??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

falisha in Moultrie, Georgia

82 months ago

I have graduated last december from Pharmacy Technology Diploma, and Certified Pharmacy Technician. But unable to get a job in this field. I tried everywhere and i get the same answers i don't have any experience. i went to school for a 11/2yr. and next month makes 1yr

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Terry NewYork in Flushing, New York

82 months ago

Many of the comments here from other states are eye openers for me. Working for Pathmark I started with $6.75 an hr I now make a little over $11.00. They used to be the highest paying in retail pharmacy but now are the lowest! I went to Walgreens and applied a few yrs back. There were problems with their computer system as I did their questionare. I had to go back a few times and everytime I went they told me the rate of pay as I asked. Each time it was lower! their final rate was $9.00/hr. Part-time hours I had already been making more than that and they wouldn't allow me to work at Pathmark while working for them! I kissed Walgreens goodbye.
What are the duties of an inpatient certified pharmacy tech?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Lybinka in Harrison, Arkansas

82 months ago

michelle in Little Rock, Arkansas said: kroger pharmacy pays 7.25 starting max 16.00

I've worked Hospital and Retail in this area. The pay in AR "bites"....Most I made was $10.00 an hour and I am Certified since 2003 and am 50 yrs old. Have been a Tech. since 1986....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Don't really know where you live, but in AR and NC they hire anyone off the street and do on the job training. NC you will get hired if you are not certified, but you have to get certified within a certain time frame. As for you CE credits, go to either ptcb.org and register. Also, go to pharmacytimes.com I subscribe to their magazine and do the tests online. CE's are free thru them, you only need 10 per yr. So you have time. Another thing, maybe your prospective employers feel you are over qualified, and don't want to pay what you are worth.... Especially if they hire off the street. So, act dumb, don't mention you are certified and see what happens... just a thought. I know here they don't want to pay, cause they can hire anyone off the street for minimum wage... That's why AR bites!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Lalita in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I've been certified since 2003. I started at CVS Pharmacy making 11/hr upon my initial certification and had received close to 15/hr before my departure to another company in 2005. I now make over 50K/year supervising a prior authorization department at an insurance company. I started at the insurance company as a pharmacy technician making 32K/year in Oct 2005, and have been promoted twice since I started. In my opinion, the sky's the limit as a pharmacy technician if you are willing to work in all areas of pharmacy. I've done retail, inpatient hospital, mail order, and now managed care. I've learned that retail pharmacies will only pay what you make them pay. You have to constantly negotiate your salary.

How do you find a job working for an Insurance co. prior authorization, or managed care? I decided to change careers, tired of the low pay and no respect as a CPhT and am now in school for Medical Coding and Billing. I live in Arkansas by the way in a fairly rural area. Maybe living in the big city is where it all is??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

David Scurlock in Eden Prairie, Minnesota

82 months ago

Dr Jim in NY said: I am a retired physician. I am interested in pharm. Do I need to take courses to take the exam? Do you need a college certificate inorder to sit for the exam?

you do not need to attend college to take the pharacy tech exam, it
does have a lot of math questions, you might want to find a good pharmacy tech book to read up on, get IV certified too, since you are a retired doctor, your chances of getting hired are a 1000% higher then me, ive been trying well over a year now.

good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Becky said: How do you get your IV certification?

you may want to contact some pharmacy tech school in your area,
they will know the answer to that, or check out a local college
that offers pharmacy tech, they may even offer an IV course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

falisha in Moultrie, Georgia said: I have graduated last december from Pharmacy Technology Diploma, and Certified Pharmacy Technician. But unable to get a job in this field. I tried everywhere and i get the same answers i don't have any experience. i went to school for a 11/2yr. and next month makes 1yr

You are not alone, Ive been out of school for almost 1 1/2 years, I hear from very few employers, and the ones i do hear from, I never hear from once the interview is over, I paid a lot of money going to school just to remain unemployed.

I would never recommend to anyone going to school, save the money, buy some books, get certififed, your chances are just as good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Falisha kinsey in Ashburn, Georgia

82 months ago

me too i'm in debt due to going to school, buying books, drivng back and forth to school, then to work, then internships and then paying for the certification test passed it then graduation stuff, actualy graduating get my Pharmacy Technology Diploma, Certified Pharmacy Technician but no job been out of school next month make 1 year. I wish i never went to school now i paying for it. I work a lower paying job, never get any call backs for interviews, always get picked over before i even get looked at. but what realy pissed me off is they hire people right off the street no education, no experience, no certifiecation, no nothing but i get the run around about a job that i'm qualified in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Aracely in Fresno, California

82 months ago

I'm taking the Pharmacy Tech. course right now, and as I'm reading these comments I'm starting to be real skeptical on continuing my course. I want to know is it really that important for one to have experience in the field so that one can get hired, and how is one to get experience if no one will hire you? Don't employers know that one is not going to have experience if they just finished school? Is it worth it to take the exam to become certified, and what is the pay difference?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Its going to be different for everyone, I was telling my experiances, if you are already going to school, then you have already committed to pay the school weather you leave or stay, at this point you might as well stay, after school, get registered with your state, get certified, get IV certified, its always a plus to have as many certifications as you can get. Ive been a truck driver for 10 years, im not any more, since my experiance is limited, i can not seem to get hired in any field, ive tried pharmacy, data entry, computer jobs, warehouse, janitorial.

the other day I was called in for an interview for a pharmacy tech, the next day, she sent me an email and said, ive looked over your resume, and we are canceling your interview, you do not have enough experiance, we are just glad that we did not waste our time and yours. This is how employers think of new pharmacy techs...gee what a blow...

it seems its very important to have experiance, I am not saying you will not get hired, who knows some do get lucky. maybe employers fear new pharmacy techs because they do have to handle drugs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mimi in Sacramento, California

82 months ago

If you are interested in Pharm tech you don't need a college certificate just register for the PTCB exam and pass it. But you need knowledge in chemistry and pharmacy calculatons inorder to pass. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Here is the CA board of pharmacy tech link.

www.pharmacy.ca.gov/licensing/licensees_info.shtml

You can look for their phone number, and ask them all the
questions you need... Do i need to have schooling, do i
need a permit/registration, do i need to be PTCB certified.

Click on the contact link for their phone numbers.

I hope this has helped.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sarah in Minneapolis, Minnesota

82 months ago

Maria in Bartlesville, Oklahoma said: I just started at Walgreens in Oklahoma. And I make $10 and hour and I'm in triaing to be Senior Tech.. Which comes along with a raise.

Walgreens is a great place to work. I worked there as a tech in college and when I started it was $12 per hour and I went up to $17 fairly quickly and this was 8 years ago so Im sure that it would be more now.

The benefits with Walgreens are really superior. I actually regret quitting that job now, even though I earn more than double that with my current job.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

falisha kinsey in Moultrie, Georgia

82 months ago

they are opening a new walgreens in the city about 15mins from me so I hope i get the job it opens jan so i already put my application on line and everything. but i'm not getting my hopes up because every place i put an application at they never call me back. i'm not just a person off the street they are hiring i busted my butt in school and graduated pharmacy technology diplioma and certified pharmacy technician so i don't see what the problem is but i wish i never went to school for this because it doing me not good i graduated last 12/06 year and yet to geta job yet in pharmacy tech

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

its been a 1 1/2 years for me, maybe even 2 - I just called a hospital to volunteer in their pharmacy, hopefully I will start sometime after thanksgiving...someone told me this one dsy "lower your standards" so I have :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

i did lower my standards okay, i am willing to work for 7.00 rather thatn the 10.00 than i'm worth, i tried part-time jobs, everything, prn jobs so don't tell me to lower my standards when i know i am.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

what i meant was lower your standards by working for free in a volunteer hospital. it really depends how bad you want the experiance, I need it so bad I am willing, and going to do just that, I am hoping to start sometime after thanks-giving. I meant no personal attacks against you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

i tried to get into the hospital, retail you name it but i never get the interview

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

damm i need to move there for real maybe i can get a pharmacy tech job there. I graduated as Pharmacy technology diploma, and certified pharmacy technician last december 12/06 and don't have a job yet i been everywhere looking for a job, had interviews some of everything and i haven't found nothing. so damm is she luck or what

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

find a local hospital and see if they have volunteers in the pharmacy, that might be a good way to go to start getting your experiance level going.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Diana Rios in Salt Lake City, Utah

82 months ago

Don't worry about it I was just wondering about a good paying job without having that much experience. I guess that does sound like a good idea to volunteer in the hospital. Does that pay better then a retail chain would pay?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

How difficult is it to get work in the hospital? Do they expect you to have expierience, or will the hospital be willing to train?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JohnS in Edina, Minnesota

82 months ago

I have submitted my fair share of resumes to hospitals over the years, ive yet to be hired. I think hospitals are very strict if you ask me, and having no experiance does not help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

What do you suggest would be the easiest way for me o try and get hired in a pharmacy with no experience and just being out of school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Julie in Livingston, New Jersey

82 months ago

Diana Rios in Salt Lake City, Utah said: What do you suggest would be the easiest way for me o try and get hired in a pharmacy with no experience and just being out of school?

You may try at a local mail order pharmacy apply as a pharmacy tech to fill the prescription, not the tech to enter the prescription into the computer system. Starting pay around $9.00/hr at north Jersey area. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kells in Edison, New Jersey

82 months ago

Hi i was thinking of taking the Pharmacy Tech course and i was wondering if it is worth it. Being that i work full time now the course will be every night mon thru fri from 7-10pm. Does anyone know where i can take this course online, or of any good books that i can just buy to study for the test? It seems like the amount of money on average that people are making is not worth taking the course. Also which test or test would i need to take to be ceritfied as a Pharm Tech and th IV certification or is it 2 different test? thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

janell in darlington, South Carolina

82 months ago

I will be finished school in Jan. Can anyone tell me how you get IV Cert. and how soon after finishing school can I do that because I am feeling kind of discouraged about retail pharmacies now,also anyone with any info on pharmacies in SC PeeDee area (pay, job availability, experience, etc)please shed some light for me, Please.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

JohnS in Edina, Minnesota

82 months ago

You can get IV certified anytime you find a proctor in your area that is offering the test. It can cost between $300-$500

the IV course is farily faced pace, and a lot of math
beyond what you may have seen in pharmacy school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Linda in Aberdeen, Washington

82 months ago

I graduated from a degree program in Washington state. I received my license in October of this year. Jobs are plentiful here in the larger cities and I have had about ten interviews so far but each time I hear that they chose someone with more than just internship experience. I decided to start trying other states with less stringent qualifications. I have a second interview for a retail pharmacy in Wisconsin. The salary is negotiable, But can anyone tell me what the salary range in Wisconsin is?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

i plan on taking the PTCE exam in Feb and i was wondering if any one knew of any good book that will be the best thing to study to pass this test. i herd that APhA’s Complete Review for the Pharmacy Technician, 2nd Edition by L. Michael Posey is the best book to get with the most information. Does any one know of this book? or if there is a better one?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

waitingforcertification in Jackson, New Jersey

82 months ago

kells in Edison, New Jersey said: i plan on taking the PTCE exam in Feb and i was wondering if any one knew of any good book that will be the best thing to study to pass this test. i herd that APhA’s Complete Review for the Pharmacy Technician, 2nd Edition by L. Michael Posey is the best book to get with the most information. Does any one know of this book? or if there is a better one?

Kells,
I purchased Delmar's Pharmacy Technician Certification book. Studied it for 2 weeks and just took my exam on Monday. The exam itself was at least 40% math. If you're able to do the calculations in that book, then you will definitely pass since the book questions are much tougher than the ones on the actual exam, in my opinion. The other info is written very well. One caution: the pharmacology section was very detailed and can be tough if you don't have a background in science (i have a B.S. in cell bio). So you may want to study this longer, though there were just a few questions on this topic. Hope this helps. Remember: MAKE SURE YOU KNOW HOW TO DO ALL THE CALCULATIONS CORRECTLY.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

thanks for the info waitingfor verification. i will definatly look into getting that book. since you said you have just taken the exam, should i study the entire 200 most common drugs table as well? thanks :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

ann in Seattle, Washington

82 months ago

Can someone tell me where I can find the 200 most common drugs, since I'll be doing a self-study. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.