Male Pharmacy Technicians

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 58)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Danny in Romney, West Virginia

68 months ago

I have to vent my feelings to someone so Im choosing this method. Im about to graduate from a Pharmacy Tech class and take my certification test. Now my mind is playing with me. I feel like Im a P...Y for being a pharmacy tech. You know, I just wanna be a man. I feel like I should be working a real mans job or something. Also, the weird looks I get from customers doesnt help. And when I answer the phones, they are always real suprised that Im a male tech. "They have male pharmacy techs" thats what a few people have said. And I work with all women. Even the pharmacists. I really dont know what kind of reply Im asking for here. Maybe a little motivation, Maybe someone to tell me to get a real mans job. All of the above reasons are why Im thinking of getting far away from this. Even if it means less pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bryan in Dallas, Texas

68 months ago

Dude, there's nothing more manly than taking care of your self and your family, if that applies. Hold your head up and push them pills brother. You only have to prove yourself to yourself. But think about what's next too. I want to move on to PharmD, maybe MBA too. Or just a hobby like distance running.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

And Im single and I just dont think girls will get past the fact that Im a pharmacy tech........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Brookhaven, Pennsylvania

68 months ago

Danny in Romney, West Virginia said: And Im single and I just dont think girls will get past the fact that Im a pharmacy tech........

I work for a staffing agency that does all Pharmacy Staffing, and I deal with a lot of male pharmacy techs. It's never been an issue for any of them. Did you ever think of getting a job in Long Term Care or Mail Order? Those are more like warehouse environments, maybe you'd be more comfortable doing that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

ecmiller in Virginia Beach, Virginia

68 months ago

Danny in Romney, West Virginia said: I have to vent my feelings to someone so Im choosing this method. Im about to graduate from a Pharmacy Tech class and take my certification test. Now my mind is playing with me. I feel like Im a P...Y for being a pharmacy tech. You know, I just wanna be a man. I feel like I should be working a real mans job or something. Also, the weird looks I get from customers doesnt help. And when I answer the phones, they are always real suprised that Im a male tech. "They have male pharmacy techs" thats what a few people have said. And I work with all women. Even the pharmacists. I really dont know what kind of reply Im asking for here. Maybe a little motivation, Maybe someone to tell me to get a real mans job. All of the above reasons are why Im thinking of getting far away from this. Even if it means less pay.

Danny, you are crazy as H..LL if you walk away from being a Pharmacy Tech, go back to college become a Pharmacist then Lead Pharmacist and open the doors for males. Be grateful for a career that one day land you a position making 70K or more a year. LESS PAY! Your crazy! Enjoy the position that you have and make the best of it.

You should enjoy working with women, this should motivate you even more to go back to college so you can become Lead/Supervisor Pharmacist then you'll be in CHARGE.

SO TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR LIFE, go back to college become a Pharamcist and make things happen, you are the MAN!

REALLY THINK ABOUT THAT! Emily

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Pharmacy Tech is as far as Im going...I dont have the patience or the money to go any farther....

68 months ago

I might go into Criminal Justice.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Tampa, Florida

68 months ago

Danny in Romney, West Virginia said: I have to vent my feelings to someone so Im choosing this method. Im about to graduate from a Pharmacy Tech class and take my certification test. Now my mind is playing with me. I feel like Im a P...Y for being a pharmacy tech. You know, I just wanna be a man. I feel like I should be working a real mans job or something. Also, the weird looks I get from customers doesnt help. And when I answer the phones, they are always real suprised that Im a male tech. "They have male pharmacy techs" thats what a few people have said. And I work with all women. Even the pharmacists. I really dont know what kind of reply Im asking for here. Maybe a little motivation, Maybe someone to tell me to get a real mans job. All of the above reasons are why Im thinking of getting far away from this. Even if it means less pay.

I've been in the legal field for many years. I have worked with male legal secretaries and male paralegals. You don't feel like you're doing a man's job? You're doing a smart man's job. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

alex in Miami, Florida

68 months ago

Iwent from being a Lexus and aviation mechanic to pharmacy tech. the hell with what people think. just think of the wear and tear a "manly" job will put on your body. do you think after i turn wrenches and lift heavy crap every day i wont have back problems in a few years? exactly. do you get dirty doing pharmacy work? no . think of it in the long run. your body will apreciate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

elleC in South Carolina

68 months ago

Oh no! There is definitely NOTHING wrong with a male being a PT! Perhaps,once you get into the job,and realize the importance and proffessionalism of the career,you will feel differently.I do suggest that you continue your education to becoming a pharmacist,though.No worries,guy.No mature adult will look at you in a bad way for having a respectable job.Now,if you were a CNA or Med asst,that would be a different story.Good luck!

irisheric in Roseville, California

68 months ago

I couldn't disagree with that train of thought anymore than I do. I was a granite fabricator for 5 years, thats a "manly job." I hated it, it tore up my body and now I'm a pharm tech. Its much better for your body and now I don't have to wake up at 5 am and bust my a** in 30 degree weather while I'm soaking wet from the saws that are cutting the slabs!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

David

68 months ago

I just became a licensed pharmacy tech and I'm male. I would of never even have thought of it as be only a womens job, and who is one to lable any job a womens job?
I take pride in my position as a MALE and a phramacy tech. If anyone has anything to say about it, that's their own problem....
Maybe people having issues with you being a pharmacy tech and being male have their own issues...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Danny in Augusta, West Virginia

68 months ago

Well when you go to work everyday and every co worker in the place is a woman....you start to think it....and I guess some insecurities on my part as well

whocares in Homestead, Florida

67 months ago

GRAB UR NUTZ AND MAN UP! Go work at a hospital pharmacy if ur that insecure about working with the public and what their opinions would be of u for being a "male" pharmacy tech..this way no one is looking at u, other than ur coworkers and im sure they would careless that ur a "man". Im sorry but this is most retarded thing i have ever heard of..ive been a pharmacy tech (female) for about 13 years and ive never heard of ur complain..EVER! maybe... its just in ur head?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anna in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

67 months ago

elleC in South Carolina said: Oh no! There is definitely NOTHING wrong with a male being a PT! Perhaps,once you get into the job,and realize the importance and proffessionalism of the career,you will feel differently.I do suggest that you continue your education to becoming a pharmacist,though.No worries,guy.No mature adult will look at you in a bad way for having a respectable job.Now,if you were a CNA or Med asst,that would be a different story.Good luck!

Why would his being a male CNA or MA be a different story? Are they not as respectable? Don't get your point...Nothing is wrong with any of those jobs as long as they pay the bills. All you can do is what makes you happy.

67 months ago

Danny in Augusta, West Virginia said: Well when you go to work everyday and every co worker in the place is a woman....you start to think it....and I guess some insecurities on my part as well

Grow up and be a man. Just because you work with all females doesn't make you any less a man. This is the 2000's Danny not the 1800's women and men work together all the time. Lets switch the roles here lets say a real hot blonde works on cars would that make her any less a hot blonde? No it wouldn't it just makes it a woman doing what she has chosen to do cause she likes it. Do what makes you happy!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

JuliaBoo in Ontario, California

67 months ago

alex in Miami, Florida said: Iwent from being a Lexus and aviation mechanic to pharmacy tech. the hell with what people think. just think of the wear and tear a "manly" job will put on your body. do you think after i turn wrenches and lift heavy crap every day i wont have back problems in a few years? exactly. do you get dirty doing pharmacy work? no . think of it in the long run. your body will apreciate it.

I bet you made more money working with cars though.

Bottom line is this paying the bills? Stop worrying about what other people think. I've seen male/ female techs and frankly I could care less as long as my prescription is correct.

I will say a pharmacy tech who doesn't want to continue learning and upgrade himself through an education and higher position will only attract people like him. It's fine for now but keep striving for better.

67 months ago

Hey dumbass....In case you havent noticed....our economy is terrible....I cant constantly shell out money for an education my whole life....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Danny in Romney, West Virginia said: Hey dumbass....In case you havent noticed....our economy is terrible....I cant constantly shell out money for an education my whole life....

It sounds to me like you are the dumbass. You are the one that is complaining because you are a man doing what you think is a womans job. Don't like the our comments don't ask for our opinions.

67 months ago

the job is for girls and I for one wont be doing it.....terrible pay...you get treated like crap.....go suck a dog d*ck....all of you....deep throat it....like it....put it in your a**....hahahahahahahahahahaha

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

I apologize....I let my anger get the best of me....this will be my last post....good luck to you all

David

67 months ago

WOW, I cannot even fatham all these rude commets from folks that are supposed to be professionals? I'm very comfortable with my sexuality and I am a male Pharm Tech, if anyone has a problem with it I just laugh it off as if they are the one with the problem. A JOB is a JOB and I make bank in California.

One Happy Pharm Tech......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

David

67 months ago

Stupid, you really sound like a grown adult Portland grow up....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dallascowboys23 in Shanks, West Virginia

67 months ago

This Danny guys is from West Virginia too. Maybe I should find him and show him that there is nothing wrong with being a male pharmacy tech. Hell, most women probly think your the pharmacist. Cha Ching !!!!!!!!

robss in Seattle, Washington

65 months ago

I would suggest not getting too upset about working in what you may think is a "chicks biz" at this point ... sounds like you have not even started in the field so much as to know what it really is about. Give yourself some time to learn and earn before bailing out. If you took a census of true bonafide Ph. Techs. in the rest of the USA, and not just WV, one would find the male:female ratio pretty much 50:50. Note, that means all places including hospitals that uses Ph. Techs.

Be professional; if you can not, then act professional. I would avoid pierced ears, and the like; ok, so WV has a different social culture than CA or Seattle. But remember, you make up the work environment just as much as any one other person does. So, are you working with them, or, are they with you (as a guy)? You have a great career, do not waste it.

Elle in Laurens, South Carolina

65 months ago

whocares in Homestead, Florida said: GRAB UR NUTZ AND MAN UP! Go work at a hospital pharmacy if ur that insecure about working with the public and what their opinions would be of u for being a "male" pharmacy tech..this way no one is looking at u, other than ur coworkers and im sure they would careless that ur a "man". Im sorry but this is most retarded thing i have ever heard of..ive been a pharmacy tech (female) for about 13 years and ive never heard of ur complain..EVER! maybe... its just in ur head?

Umm.You need help.Angry any?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dbyrd in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida

65 months ago

Haha. Don't even think about it man.You sound too self concious. Besides being a CPhT, I am also an LPN and worked as a male nurse for 13 years(imagine what people thought about that). If women can grab an M-16 and go off to the desert,there is nothing wrong with a male doing any job to make a living!

David

65 months ago

This Denny guy keep's posting this about feeling like a woman being a Pharm Tech. Get over it already. You have been posting this for month's now. Choose a different position if you feel this way.

22 in National City, California

65 months ago

Wow, I didn't realize this job was mostly female. I just looked into it to beef up my application for pharmacy school. I'm not dedicated enough to the pharm tech profession to "defy the stereotype" so I'll just pass on being a male pharm tech.

By the way, male CNAs are pretty common. Probably more common than the male nurses (RN), which itself is becoming more common.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

M30 in Los Angeles, California

65 months ago

There are plenty of male Pharmacy Technicians, though at my current hospital it is generally an all female staff.

You have to break through the stereotypes though.. Not all nurses are females... and not all doctors are males..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

tombisana in Morrow, Georgia

64 months ago

You stand your ground. Do not give uop something you enjoy doing. I can give you three reasons. First of all, I hope you got into this field because you felt a passion for it and you wanted to help people.
Secondly, why not work smarter instead of harder, back breaking work, when you have an opportunity to cnstantly stimulate your mind. That's a no brainer. Thirdly, do you know the sense of security you offer with a male in the building, with all these crazies out there? I don't now about any one else, but as a woman, I would love to have a male some where around. Stay with what is passionate in your heart. Tell the fellas to stop "hatin" on you, for wanting to use the right part of your body.

Elle in Laurens, South Carolina

64 months ago

You are your OWN worst enemy! People could care lees when they meet a male pharmacy tech! Being a pt is a very important,respectable job.You are a step down,well...many steps down from a pharmacist-which,is mainly a male dominated field,so keep that in mind.The MOST important lesson I learned in my life is to not give a sh*t about what other people think,and go on about your business.Stop questioning and DO!You're perfectly fine,Hun.Stop worrying! Keep in mind that many spend their whole lives not even given the CHOICE to be where you are! Go for it!! Now!!

David in Brentwood, California

64 months ago

Denny keeps posting this about feeling like a girl. He has been posting it for months now. Just tell him to go and find a mans job.......

One happy male pharm tech.

Shay in Dayton, Ohio

64 months ago

Danny in Romney, West Virginia said: And Im single and I just dont think girls will get past the fact that Im a pharmacy tech........

Hey Im single and I would be glad if you were a Tech. At least you have a job! Nothing wrong with this job. I think it's sexy :D

Big B in Charlotte, NC in Atlanta, Georgia

64 months ago

Danny,
I believe that being a mail PT is a noble job. I am now 62 and I am taking PT at a community college, and I look forward to every class, and I look forward to being the best that I can be. I believe that this training will lead to employment. From what I can see is you will need to work at achieving your goals and have a plan to advance in this field. Best of everything to you.

Big B

sduecy in Woodway, Texas

64 months ago

My son was a male PT and was making $16/hr. He quit his job and is now jobless. Be glad you have a good job in an air-conditioned building and a professional environment. Many people do not. If you enjoy it (or even if you don't), you have a good job with the potential to make a decent salary and get benefits.

SteveKeplinger in Moorefield, West Virginia

64 months ago

I do find the Pharmacy tech position to be a lady's job....its a feminine occupation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

annabelle in Ypsilanti, Michigan

64 months ago

Danny in Romney, West Virginia said: Pharmacy Tech is as far as Im going...I dont have the patience or the money to go any farther....

I was reading what you posted about feeling like pharm tech makes you less of a man, thats so silly honestly, now a days,with the economy being bad, I believe it is universaly appreciated when a man educates himself and goes into a career, it shows commitment and stability, any woman who looks down on u for that aint worth the money you would spend to try to impress her.
This is a wonderful career you have chosen , you are smart and if you really don't like the job, just do it for awhile and maybe try to get into radiology but it shouldnt matter, it's not an easy job and whoever is telling you that it makes you less of a man, really needs to reexamine your life, don't be ashamed, i think this job shows you have class and smarts, good luck and keep your head up buddy, and really if you took a job making less money that would be really stupid. Stick with this and work on becoming a lead technician, or work in a hospital if you can, its more responsiblities but you make a lot of money

annabelle in Ypsilanti, Michigan

64 months ago

i am a woman in the field and i work with alot of male technicians, and i am impressed with how educated they are, its so stupid that people feel that because your a man you should be in construction, or because its medical or whatever that you should be nurse or pharm tech, its because its caretaking with is historically a womans position, but in pharmacy all you really do is fill rx orders and pass them on to the patients, its silly sexist small minded thinking.
btw Fck whoever talks sh8t cause they are not paying your bills :)

james in Toronto, Ontario

63 months ago

the job isnt masculine or feminine but rather it has everything to do with being a lousy job that doesnt pay out.

Id have to be completely insane to pay 10k and 3 yrs of life to do a job that pays slightly above minimum wage in my area with not much room to move up unless you work in a hospital. If you want to feel like a man, stop working in retail and move into a hospital where they pay you better. Money talks, nobody will care about your profession as long as you make decent money. Either work in a hospital or stop whining and get accepted into pharmacy like me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cliff in Burlington, West Virginia

60 months ago

Im a male tech.......should this bother me..?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Maeris

58 months ago

It's true, it's not common. Just as it's not very common to see alot of male nurses. But look at the bright side, you're surrounded by girls! Here we'd say you're like Jesus surrounded by all the Marys XD. But you wouldn't understand what I mean.

Working is a man's job. Whether it's working as a janitor or working in a women's clothing store. You are earning your money with "the sweat on your forehead" (as we say) in a legal, hardworking matter. Feel proud of yourself! Just feel proud that you are one of the few in the field and next time a customer says, "Didn't think there were male technicians," just say, "Someone has to bring the female customers" XD.

I just hope your co-workers at least aren't an eye-sore O.X

Magnus in Hawaii Kai, Hawaii

58 months ago

Bryan in Dallas, Texas said: Dude, there's nothing more manly than taking care of your self and your family, if that applies. Hold your head up and push them pills brother. You only have to prove yourself to yourself.

x2 =)

58 months ago

ecmiller in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: Danny, you are crazy as H..LL if you walk away from being a Pharmacy Tech, go back to college become a Pharmacist then Lead Pharmacist and open the doors for males. Be grateful for a career that one day land you a position making 70K or more a year. LESS PAY! Your crazy! Enjoy the position that you have and make the best of it.

You should enjoy working with women, this should motivate you even more to go back to college so you can become Lead/Supervisor Pharmacist then you'll be in CHARGE.

SO TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR LIFE, go back to college become a Pharamcist and make things happen, you are the MAN!

REALLY THINK ABOUT THAT! Emily

Well, i cannot speak for danny... unfortunately =/ But, you can definitely be sure that "i", for one, have every! intention on doing so =)

58 months ago

Danny in Augusta, West Virginia said: Well when you go to work everyday and every co worker in the place is a woman

dude, your single and surrounded by women every day? ahh... am i missing something here =) ooh come on, a little humor won't hurt right? yeah... what ever tickles your pickle cupcake *haha*

58 months ago

whocares in Homestead, Florida said: GRAB UR NUTZ AND MAN UP!

*haha* point taken =)

58 months ago

Dbyrd in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida said: Haha. Don't even think about it man.You sound too self concious. Besides being a CPhT, I am also an LPN and worked as a male nurse for 13 years(imagine what people thought about that). If women can grab an M-16 and go off to the desert,there is nothing wrong with a male doing any job to make a living!

EXACTLY!!! =)

58 months ago

M30 in Los Angeles, California said: There are plenty of male Pharmacy Technicians, though at my current hospital it is generally an all female staff.

You have to break through the stereotypes though.. Not all nurses are females... and not all doctors are males..

ooh, i'm working on it brother =) or is it sister =/

Daytondave in Dayton, Ohio

55 months ago

I am considering going to school for pharmacy technician, but being a male i kind of have the same worries as Danny has. Its not that i feel im doing a womans job-i dont care about that. I would love to get to work in such a setting surrounded by ladies. What im worried about is will a pharmacy hire a guy, or will they shove me aside to take in another girl? Will i as a 40 year old male who has always worked in a factory setting be taken seriously? Considering that the majority of people i see working as pharmacy techs are female, it is a valid question.

Katrina in Mesa, Arizona

51 months ago

hey im about to go to school to get my pharmacy tech liscense is it worth it im a CNA and tired of doing it and the class is only 300 dollars so wanna know what you people think?!

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.