Anyone have time to answer these questions that I cannot find anywhere???

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (29)

Sue in Florida

69 months ago

***A 55 lb child is to receive heparin sodium by IV Infusion in a dose of 50 units/kg of body weight every 4 hours. How many milliliters of heparin sodium injection containing 5000 units/ml will be administered for each dose?

***Which of the following system keeps a running inventory balance?

Physical, annual, Biannual, Perpetual

***When a tech delivers a narcotic to a patient care unit and cannot find a nurse to sign for the delivery, what does he/she do with the meds?

***A 40 ML stock vial of ranitidine contains a 25 mg/ml solution. How many milliliters must be withdrawn for a patient who requires 50 mg rantidine IV?

***How is the DEA number made up? I hear there is a formula to ensure it is valid.

***The hospitals morphine injection inventory is depleted on Friday and the wholesaler does not deliver again until Monday morn, What does the pharmacists do?

***Ketoconazole 2% in polyethylene glycol is commonly used for ringworm treatment. To compound a pint of this solution, the pharm tech must weigh what amount of ketoconazole?

***A patient requires 1500ML to be infused over 18 hours. How many ML/min will the patient need to receive to ensure the entire volume is infused?

***Preparing and packaging Hydrocortisone ointment for use by more than one patient is referred to as:
Unit Dose? Parenteral Admixture? Unit of Uses? Bulk Componding?

***Which of the following meds require a DEA Form 222 when ordering?
Duragesic? Equagesic? Depo-Medrol? Enbrel?

***What is the percentage concentration of a 400 mg/500 ml solution?

***Which insulin may be added to an IV solution?
NPH? Lantus? Humulin 70/30? Regular

***Using a standard heparin solution (25,000 units / 500ml D5W), how many milliliters per hour should the infusion rate be to achieve a dose of 1100 units/hour?

***A prescription calls for injecting 50 units of insulin. Which size syringe should be dispensed?

***Which of the following resource

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Amber in Chattanooga, Tennessee

69 months ago

***A 55 lb child is to receive heparin sodium by IV Infusion in a dose of 50 units/kg of body weight every 4 hours. How many milliliters of heparin sodium injection containing 5000 units/ml will be administered for each dose?

1.21 ML [I WOULD HAVE TO SHOW YOU ON PAPER HOW TO DO IT, IF IT IS EVEN RIGHT IN THE FIRST PLACE, MIND YOU]

***Which of the following system keeps a running inventory balance?
Physical, annual, Biannual,
PERPETUAL

***When a tech delivers a narcotic to a patient care unit and cannot find a nurse to sign for the delivery, what does he/she do with the meds?
RETURN IT TO THE PHARMACY, BUT IN MY HOSPITAL WE JUST PUT IT IN THEIR MED ROOM

***A 40 ML stock vial of ranitidine contains a 25 mg/ml solution. How many milliliters must be withdrawn for a patient who requires 50 mg ranitidine IV?
2ML … YOU TAKE THE DOSE THEY NEED (50MG) AND DIVIDE BY WHAT THE STOCK VIAL SAYS (25MG). MAKE SURE ITS ALWAYS MG/ML ON THE VIAL. SOMETIMES THEY WILL PUT 50MG/2ML

***How is the DEA number made up? I hear there is a formula to ensure it is valid. YES,
ADD THE 1ST, 3RD, AND 5TH DIGITS , THEN ADD THE 2ND, 4TH, AND 6TH DIGITS. TAKE THE TOTAL FOR THE TWO SUMS AND MULTIPLY IT BY 2. IF THE VERY LAST NUMBER IS THE SAME ON THE DEA NUMBER AS IT IS ON THE PART YOU CALCULATED THEN ITS VALID.

***The hospitals morphine injection inventory is depleted on Friday and the wholesaler does not deliver again until Monday morn, What does the pharmacists do? CALL ALL NURSES AND DOCTORS TO INFORM THEM OF THE SHORTAGE AND SEE IF THEY CAN REPLACE IT WITH SOMETHING ELSE. IF THAT HAPPENS AT MY HOSPITAL, WE JUST BORROW FROM A NEIGHBORING HOSPITAL.

***A patient requires 1500ML to be infused over 18 hours. How many ML/min will the patient need to receive to ensure the entire volume is infused?
1.38ML/MIN OR 1.4 IF YOU ROUND UP. IN THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED TO ROUND UP. ANOTHER TO SHOW ON PAPER...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Amber in Chattanooga, Tennessee

69 months ago

***A prescription calls for injecting 50 units of insulin. Which size syringe should be dispensed?
INSULIN SYRINGES COME IN 3 SIZES: 30 UNITS, 50 UNITS, AND 100 UNITS

I think there were 2 questions I couldn't answer and that mainly is because I am not a math person, and also do not deal with those types of calculations. If I am wrong on ANY of these questions, someone please correct me!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sidra in West Palm Beach, Florida

66 months ago

Obviously you can't find the answers anywhere; these are simple math!! i know this is an old q but i wanted to point out an error in the heparin q.

50 units/kg q 4 h

55 lb=25 kg

so 50 units/kg x 25 kg= 1250 units q 4 h

Since it has 5000 units/ml

1250 units/5000units in 1 mL = 0.25 mL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Maeris

64 months ago

Sidra is very smart. A simple conversion, every kg = 2.2lb.

To put it in a way my profesor taught me, a little easier to understand why Sidra did it the way she did...

First you need to find out how many units the patient needs so it goes as follows

50 units ___ X __
-------- ___ ------- __ 1,250 units
2.2lb 55lb

Meaning, if for every 2.2 lbs (1kg) the patient needs 50 units, how many units does he need for 55lbs? It's a proportions! (or however you say it english). So you multiply 50 x 55, then divide what you get by 2.2lb and you have how many units he needs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Maeris

64 months ago

Always remember that in proportions the units of the product or math go next to each other, for example

ml __ ml
--- __ ----
mg mg

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Maeris

64 months ago

Now the "every 4 hours" thing is irrevelant to what the question is, so don't pay attention to it.

Now that you know how many units he's going to take, you can find out how many ml he'll need.

The question being: If in each ml there are 5000 units, how many ml do you need for 1250:

1250 units __ 5000 units __
----------- __ ---------- __ 0.25ml
X ml 1 ml

This meaning, 1250 x 1ml, then divided by 5000 units, resulting 0.25ml.

Hope you understand it better!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Maeris

64 months ago

Oh, bugger, those examples of conversions came out bad (the lines underneath the numbers.

let me do it like Sidra:

50units/ 2.2lb = X units/ 55lb

and the other one was 1250units/ Xml = 5000units/1ml

the other was just an example of:

mg/ml = mg/ml

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Maeris

64 months ago

A couple of these questions are a little new to me, at least the hospital inventory ones.

The number ones are easy to make out with conversions/proportions.

Isnt' the DEA number the whole, it either starts with an A or B, then the second letter belonging to the last name of the doctor and then a 5 digit number?

Kinda like:
Dr.Orlando Jones
BJ01254

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ruby in Harlingen, Texas

63 months ago

Maeris said: A couple of these questions are a little new to me, at least the hospital inventory ones.

The number ones are easy to make out with conversions/proportions.

Isnt' the DEA number the whole, it either starts with an A or B, then the second letter belonging to the last name of the doctor and then a 5 digit number?

Kinda like:
Dr.Orlando Jones
BJ01254

DEA number contains 2 letters first one must be a A or B then the second letter must be the doctors last name and it has 7 numbers.
You ad the 1,3, and 5 togehter then
you ad the 2,4,and 6 together and mult. by 2. only what you get from 2,4,6 not 1,3,5 then you add what you got from 1,3,5 with what you got from 2,4,6 X2= and you get your answer

Ruby in Harlingen, Texas

63 months ago

I bought a test to review on line for my pharmacy test and some of these were on it. I was able to go back and review if i got them right. thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

sunhee in Katy, Texas

59 months ago

***Ketoconazole 2% in polyethylene glycol is commonly used for ringworm treatment. To compound a pint of this solution, the pharm tech must weigh what amount of ketoconazole?

2% means ketoconazole is initially in 2g/100ml,
then, it says, they need a pint of this solution, and this is meaning that final volume is in pint, so we need to convert it as ml.
(=> 1 pint * 2 cups/1 pint * 8 oz/ 1cup * 30ml / oz = 480 ml. same units are cancelled.)

2g/100ml = xg/480ml
2 *480 /100 = x
x=9.6 ml

sunhee in Katy, Texas

59 months ago

So, you need to weigh 9.6 ml of ketoconazole.

sunhee in Katy, Texas

59 months ago

***Which of the following meds require a DEA Form 222 when ordering?
Duragesic? Equagesic? Depo-Medrol? Enbrel?

DURAGESIC BECAUSE THIS IS SCHEDULE II DRUG

What is the percentage concentration of a 400 mg/500 ml solution?

400mg * 1g/1000mg = 0.4 g
THEREFORE, 0.4g/500ml *100%=0.08%

Using a standard heparin solution (25,000 units / 500ml D5W), how many milliliters per hour should the infusion rate be to achieve a dose of 1100 units/hour?

500ML/25000U *1100U/1HR=22ML/HR
THEREFORE, 22ML

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ogbujamaria@yahoo.com in Tomball, Texas

57 months ago

Pls email me your updates. They are very helpful to me. Thanks.

Amita Biyani in Chatham, Illinois

55 months ago

I have one question please ...
preparing and packing Hydrocortisone ointment for use by more than one patient is referred to as-
Unit use
unit dose
bulk compunding
which is correct?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chi in Tomball, Texas

55 months ago

Amita Biyani in Chatham, Illinois said: I have one question please ...
preparing and packing Hydrocortisone ointment for use by more than one patient is referred to as-
Unit use
unit dose
bulk compunding
which is correct?

It is called bulk compounding

ogbujamaria@yahoo.com in Tomball, Texas

55 months ago

It is called bulk compounding

leelisa in Sacramento, California

49 months ago

I have some questions please help me

which is a commercially avilable dose of oral levothyroxine
100mcg 1mg 500mcg 5mg

The maximum amount per tansaction of pseudoephdrine is 3.6g, what is maximal numer of 30mg tablet allowable in a single trasaction
12 60 108 or 120

Prescriber must be registered in the ipledge program in order to prescribe which drug for
isotretinoin clonazepine thalidomide alosetron

What information must be recorded on DEA 222 Form after reciving a delivery of schedule ll product

Lidocaine is supplied in packets of 20 vials each of 24 nursing stations must have 12 vial what is the total # of packets need

A standard heparin solution (25,000unit/500ml how many millimeter/hour should be the infusion rate to achieve a dose of 1100unit/hour
2.2 11 22 44

leelisa in Sacramento, California

49 months ago

I am so confused helping me please

The hospital's morphin injection inventory is depleted on Friday and the wholesaler does not deliver again until Monday morning the pharmacist should

substitute mepheridine or hydromorphone upon the patient's requst

substitute meperidine or hydromorphone because they are therapeutically

obtain morphine from another hospital completing a DEA form 222 for the lender's record

Which of the following is an important reason for main containing patient's prescription medication history in patient's profile

identifying potential adverse drug event

verify the authenticity of prescription

Determining insurance eligibility

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

brezygurl in Milton, Vermont

49 months ago

leelisa~

- obtain morphine from another hospital completing a DEA form 222 for the lender's record

- identifying potential adverse drug event

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

can somebody respond question 2.. in Medford, Oregon

48 months ago

I'm scheduled to take my PCTB certification exam this week and some of the question mentioned here. I would like to know the answers. Thank you.

leelisa in Dos Palos, California

48 months ago

leelisa in Sacramento, California said: I have some questions please help me

which is a commercially avilable dose of oral levothyroxine
100mcg 1mg 500mcg 5mg
100mcg
The maximum amount per tansaction of pseudoephdrine is 3.6g, what is maximal numer of 30mg tablet allowable in a single trasaction
12 60 108 or 120
120 3.6gx1000mg=3600mg 3600/30=120
Prescriber must be registered in the ipledge program in order to prescribe which drug for
isotretinoin clonazepine thalidomide alosetron
Isotretinoin(Accutane with PPI) to prevent high risk of birth defects

What information must be recorded on DEA 222 Form after reciving a delivery of schedule 2 product
Purchaser must record on copy 3 the nuber of containers received and the dates of drugs were received

Lidocaine is supplied in packets of 20 vials each of 24 nursing stations must have 12 vial what is the total # of packets need
15packets
A standard heparin solution (25,000unit/500ml how many millimeter/hour should be the infusion rate to achieve a dose of 1100unit/hour
2.2 11 22 44

heparin-blood clotting
25,000unit/500ml=1100unit/xml slove for x=22ml so answer is 22ml/hour

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Claudia in La Puente, California

42 months ago

Are these questions from the PTCB practice exams?

gutierrez4316 in Hialeah, Florida

40 months ago

did take the ptcb test?

Need Help.FAD in Atco, New Jersey

40 months ago

Calculate the numnber of packages tht need to be re-ordered for each Item.
Tetracycline 250 mg cap,
Package size 500,
Minimun #120,
Maximun#units700,
Current Inventory 80,
Reorder how many?
answers are a.0
b.1
c.2

yetunde in Tacoma, Washington

14 months ago

pls i need answer to dis question
1. xalatan should be stored under which condition
2 investigation medication should only dispensed to
3. which of the resource is used to obtain the most current drug information
the merck manual
drug fact and comparisons
remigton
the orange book

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ileana in Cape Coral, Florida

9 months ago

**** I don't get the same answer , what a did was 24x 12 =288 then 288:20= 14.4
can you help me ??

ili in Cape Coral, Florida

9 months ago

***a pharmacy is flooded . the fda and the state of board of pharmacy rule that all of the medication in the pharmacy are non dispensable and must be destroyed . what legal term describe this product?
recalled , misbranded , adultered , outdated
Can somebody help me please !!!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.