Can I just learn the top 200 drugs for PTCB exam?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 85)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Zaya in Miami, Florida

61 months ago

I am preparing for PTCB exam, and I find it is very difficult to memorize all the drugs from the book. It is like 70 drugs for every chapter, and there are 20 chapters. Can somebody advice me please, would it be enough to learn just top 200 drugs list?

Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Zaya in Miami, Florida

61 months ago

Karo in Glendale, California said: Dear friend, the PTCB exam contains maybe 10 questions out of 90 that are drug names, at MOST 10. Do not waste your time memorizing anything but what I tell you, and I promise you will pass. Review the math portion of the review book you have, 70% if not more of the test is math. My review book (mosbys review book for pharmacy technician) contained 3 pages on math!!!!! And its one of the top rated, very lame, luckily I am good with conversions and did not really need helpe with that. Review schedule II drugs and laws regarding them, not too specific. Go over the review book really fast, you will have a couple of questions such as, what do you use to clean the laminar flow hood (isopentyl alcohol).... anyways, basically math math math, don't bother with the naming of the rest of the drugs besides schedule II... oh and KNOW your common abbreviations such as qid bid, about 15 most common ones. And know your converstions from grams to kilograms to pounds etc. Good luck!

Thank you so much for your reply! I don't really have problems with math, just need to go through the formulas and conversions again. By the way do they allow to use calculators?
Hope I will pass...
Thanks again!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

maribeth gray in Leominster, Massachusetts

61 months ago

Karo in Glendale, California said: Dear friend, the PTCB exam contains maybe 10 questions out of 90 that are drug names, at MOST 10. Do not waste your time memorizing anything but what I tell you, and I promise you will pass. Review the math portion of the review book you have, 70% if not more of the test is math. My review book (mosbys review book for pharmacy technician) contained 3 pages on math!!!!! And its one of the top rated, very lame, luckily I am good with conversions and did not really need helpe with that. Review schedule II drugs and laws regarding them, not too specific. Go over the review book really fast, you will have a couple of questions such as, what do you use to clean the laminar flow hood (isopentyl alcohol).... anyways, basically math math math, don't bother with the naming of the rest of the drugs besides schedule II... oh and KNOW your common abbreviations such as qid bid, about 15 most common ones. And know your converstions from grams to kilograms to pounds etc. Good luck!

I have a question as well I live in Massachusetts and i am preparing for the exam as well is the test the same for all states. also is it an online test or in a classroom.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Karo in Glendale, California

61 months ago

maribeth gray in Leominster, Massachusetts said: I have a question as well I live in Massachusetts and i am preparing for the exam as well is the test the same for all states. also is it an online test or in a classroom.

It takes place in a PearsonVue testing center, so I guess you could call it a classroom, don't even think about cheating lol, not that that's why your asking... and it is nation wide so it should be the same... actually its a little different each person, the questions are random so not the same as far asif you were to take it twice and it being the exact same thing... but the questions are all graded based on how easy or hard they were, you should be fine, good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

maribeth gray in Leominster, Massachusetts

61 months ago

Karo in Glendale, California said: It takes place in a PearsonVue testing center, so I guess you could call it a classroom, don't even think about cheating lol, not that that's why your asking... and it is nation wide so it should be the same... actually its a little different each person, the questions are random so not the same as far asif you were to take it twice and it being the exact same thing... but the questions are all graded based on how easy or hard they were, you should be fine, good luck.

thank you karo

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

melissaaguerra in New Ulm, Minnesota

60 months ago

I am preparing for the ptcb exam. I moved to MN from Texas what location would I go to take the board exam

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

rick1402 in Mcallen, Texas

60 months ago

I took the test this past weekend and passed. I would recommend THE Pharmacy Technician book that can be found online 3rd edition. Great book, took no formal training whatsoever and passed the PTCB. 10 questions more less concerning medications, I would recommend learning what most of the drug stem/root names mean as to what type of drug they are. Even if I didn't know the purpose of the drug, by knowing the stem classification of drug you can narrow it down to 1 or 2 choices. 60% math questions, 30% mixed of pharmacy rules, what pharm tech can/cannot do/inventory rules/aseptic procedures.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

PYT in Tallahassee, Florida

59 months ago

Everyone on this blog said it correct!!! But forgot 1 thing & tht is Pharmacy Laws!!! Must know. You will have less than 10 ???'s on Laws.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Nitro in Camarillo, California

55 months ago

Karo in Glendale, California said: It takes place in a PearsonVue testing center, so I guess you could call it a classroom, don't even think about cheating lol, not that that's why your asking... and it is nation wide so it should be the same... actually its a little different each person, the questions are random so not the same as far asif you were to take it twice and it being the exact same thing... but the questions are all graded based on how easy or hard they were, you should be fine, good luck.

I just spoke to PTCB and even though they assured me that all tests were different, they could or would not confirm the number of drug related questions.
I have a poor memory even after reading much material many times. Any suggestions before I take the exam will be helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Miss Fay in Roswell, Georgia

54 months ago

I took the excpt test in Georgia I passed the first time with a half an hour to spare !! I suggest using the Mosby software levels 3-7. Don't rack your brain if you are have problems with the math most of it was questions are how many tablets do you need to fill ...etc. and flow rates. The part that threw me was the questions about medicare part one and two..don't remember that in the software.Learn your schedules and procedures for storig and documenting them,there were not a lot of brand and generic drug questions ...maybe 10 but they were all over the place..I know I missed at least three. Also you will have the opprtunity to flag and go back ,so answer what you know first and then figure out the rest. Stay calm...Let me know how you do !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ethan in Springdale, Arkansas

54 months ago

What is the best way to go about preparing for the exam? Do I need to know the different types of drugs (corticosteroids, MAO inhibitors, bile acid sequestrants, etc. etc.)? I've mainly been focusing on math and pharmacy laws.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Not that many math questions. If you are good with math it will not be a big deal... mainly flow rates..how many?? questions etc. Learn your top 50 drugs . Do you have practice software?? I think that's why I had no problem . I practiced 2 hrs. a day for two weeks straight. Oh! Don't forget your ethics questions and organizations, what they do and govern etc.

Ethan in Springdale, Arkansas

54 months ago

I don't have practice software. When it comes to buying study guides there's just way too many products and I'm not sure which is the right one. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Mosby's has the best practice exams !! It goes by levels from 1 to 10. If you can master levels 3-7 I guarantee you will pass. I have them on disc and paper form. Send out and APB and I bet someone will help you out and let you borrow them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

hana in San Diego, California

54 months ago

Miss Fay in Roswell, Georgia said: Mosby's has the best practice exams !! It goes by levels from 1 to 10. If you can master levels 3-7 I guarantee you will pass. I have them on disc and paper form. Send out and APB and I bet someone will help you out and let you borrow them.

there are many books of mosby's so can u please tell me about the author's name? thank u

54 months ago

You are looking for Mosby's Review of the Pharmacy Techncian Certification Examination it will prepare you for the PTCB also. E-mail back and let me know what you find. I can look up some other information if you need it.

rthomas in Athens, Georgia

54 months ago

i am so ready to get the test over and i take it tomoro at the testing center in Georgia but ive been reading for weeks now im recalling and refresing my memory on this stuff because some of it i know from me already working in the pharmacy but i hope that i pass. The book that i have is by Susan Marks and William Hopkins i guess its good and i got others that i read too but i dont remember the authers

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cpht in Plainfield, Illinois

53 months ago

visit pharmacy rx by crystal zamudio for ptcb exam guide and much more for those who are curious taking the exam

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

happygirl1712@yahoo.com in Miami, Florida

53 months ago

Hi I am in Miami and I have my ptcb exam in a week you think you could help me out on the math. Because I am have trouble on that. If you could give me some example please thank you .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

When I had problems with the math it was because I had the wrong person teaching it to me !! My instructor :> When I asked my son to help me he made everything applicable !! All it is is how much of this do you need to make that and how much do you need if it's to run at so many drops per hour. Find someone who can show you in a practical way. I struggled needlessly...and again passed the first time with a half an hour to spare. It looks a lot worse than it actually is and don't forget that you will be able to use a calculator. Write back !!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Ok Could you tell me what I need to study in the math part please. And do they make you write and solve the math part.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Alligations ,flow rates, dilutions , qs ad invoicing example if you had so much inventory ,overhead ,salaries etc, how much would it cost for one month? how many mls etc how many kilos make so many pounds? Youngs rule (What is the most accurate way to prescribe pediatric meds ? ) How many tabs do you need for a script? grains into grams,milligrams to grams- Clarks rule - using stock
It seems like alot but it really wasn't so bad !! Learn how to eliminate the impossible answers first !!

BEST OF ALL IT IS ALL MULTIPLE CHOICE !!

Write me back !!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

I have some sample math questions !! I remember one like this:
A 143 lb patient is to recieve nitroprusside 50mg in 250mL of an IV solution. The patient is to recieve 5mcg/kg/min. How many milligrams per hour will the patient recieve?
A 4.29mg/hr
B 19.5mg/hr
C 42.9mg/hr
D 19,500mg/hr

Write me back and let me know if you can see the simplicity -and the trick :> with this question

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (78) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Ok I have a question I have two books Pharmacy Technician Certification Examination Second Edition. Calculation Of Drug Dosages both book are by Mosby Elsevier. Are these good book to study. And also where could I go to study online for free math pharmacy technician.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

I do not see the trick for that math solve. Help me out on that one please or example thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

The answer for the questions is C.42.9mg/hr. Tell me if it right or wrong please. And anything that could help me out for the exam please tell me thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

I told you it looks harder thanit actually is. That is correct the other numbers were not even close. If you can even partially soleve the problem you can eliminate the answers it can not possibly be.

Here's another one I remember being smiliar to the test.

What is the net profit for a prescription that has an aquisition cost of $45.oo and a dispensing cost of $3.75 and retails for $55.00?

A. $3.75
B. $6.25
C. $10.00
D.$13.75

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

tim in Houston, Texas

53 months ago

What? 42.9 mg/hr can't possibly be right

How many mg/hr does the patient receive? 143 lbs = 65 kg

65 kg X 5 mcg X 60 min = 19500 mcg/hr = 19.5 mg/hr
------ ------
kg min hr

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mewhomustnotbenamed in Modesto, California

53 months ago

I agree, Tim. It can't be C, definitely B.

"50mg in 250mL of an IV solution" has nothing to do with the question, unless it is specifically asking how many mL is needed by the patient.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ruth in Caguas, Puerto Rico

53 months ago

ok what is the answer for the last question Miss Fay.... it is D ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Meera in Sierra Vista, Arizona

53 months ago

Miss Fay in Roswell, Georgia said: I have some sample math questions !! I remember one like this:
A 143 lb patient is to recieve nitroprusside 50mg in 250mL of an IV solution. The patient is to recieve 5mcg/kg/min. How many milligrams per hour will the patient recieve?
A 4.29mg/hr
B 19.5mg/hr
C 42.9mg/hr
D 19,500mg/hr

Write me back and let me know if you can see the simplicity -and the trick :> with this question

I am going to take exam in Aug.2010, wish me luck!
Answer = B. 19.5

This problem can be solved as
143/2.2 = 65kg
now 05 mcg = 0.005 mg (Trick taken care of! i.e. converting mcg into mg.)
so the answer will be 65 kg x .005 mg x 60 min = 19.5 mg/hr

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Is the answers C.

53 months ago

Give me some more questions on the math please. And example the step if you could thank you. I have my test on Monday this Monday please help me out thank you.

53 months ago

Sorry I made a mistake the answer that I will put is b. Is that the right one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

happygirl1712@yahoo.com in Miami, Florida said: Sorry I made a mistake the answer that I will put is b. Is that the right one.

Yes, you are right!
And I made a mistake in gross profit calculation...

Gross profit = selling price - actual cost

If net profit was asked, my answer would have been right!

i.e. to calculate net profit, other expenses are counted, but not for GROSS PROFIT!
Ans is C ; 55-45 = 10

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

How many grams of 2.5 % hydrocortisone cream should be mixed with 240gms. of 25%
hydrocortisone cream to make 1% cream?

question is from Mosby's review for the PTCB Certi,.Exam. page 122 ( Q 84)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mewhomustnotbenamed in Milpitas, California

53 months ago

Meera in Sierra Vista, Arizona said: How many grams of 2.5 % hydrocortisone cream should be mixed with 240gms. of 25%

question is from Mosby's review for the PTCB Certi,.Exam. page 122 ( Q 84)

Are you sure it is 25% hydrocortisone, not 0.25%?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

How many grams of 2.5 % hydrocortisone cream should be mixed with 240gms. of 25%
*****I am sorry, it is 0.25% and NOT 25%

53 months ago

Do you know how to do it? Use the tic-tac-toe.

53 months ago

yes, I know it...do you want the solution?

53 months ago

Actually the other member on this forum, happygirl1712 has requested some maths problems, so I thought of sending one at a time...

I am toiling myself on drugs and laws etc...chapters...very confusing...
while reading I make sure I get the meaning of each term and details but when trying to face question paper...confidence slides downwards! heheh

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Oh ok. LOL. Don't stress it too much. Try focusing on one thing at a time. For the laws (if you use the Mosby book) don't memorize everything in it. Get some keywords, i.e. "offer to counsel", which law is it? Stuff like that. :D

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

oh..yes..you are right...but still what good trying to understand all and still the question asked is so confusingly arranged words that we just have to trust on LUCK
to guess the answer!
Still, I have decided to face the exam during 1st week of August...and hopefully will PASS .
Thanks for your good will.

53 months ago

That is true. But I believe it increases the chances that we "guess" the right answer. For some of the questions in my exam, I had to rely on the stuff I learned from taking an EMT course, and my undergrad Bio classes.

53 months ago

Hi My exam is on this monday so if you could please give me all the help you can thank you.

53 months ago

Hi happygirl1712,
What I would do, if I were you...
Go through all the conversions...perhaps writing down on a piece of paper...to me it helps when I have to remember when I read the question where I have to use this conversions.

And be calm while reading the question, and pay good attention to see "WHAT IS ASKED" , values given in one form and asked in converted form.
Sometimes the question asked is "what is not correct?" is you have to mention from the options given...

Go through all the 200 names of brand names and their generic names.

Read the abbreviations used in medical terminology.

Read prefix and suffix added to the word and their meanings..

Types of laminar flow hoods : Type A, Type B1, Type B2 and Type B3 and that type of topics...just go through those details as if browsing by flipping the pages...you would be amazed how that helps in the exam room!

Pharmacy Laws....just read your correct answers to questions that you might have practiced...

IV admixtures topics etc..

Syringe...parts and names...draw a diagram and write down the appropriate names of those parts will give you confidence when you have to select out of 4 options
Balance

I greatly wish you luck. You would be ok.
Do let me know how was your exam as I would be appearing in the month of August,
take care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Also, read on roles of the pharmacy technician at a hospital setting. I remember having more questions regarding hospital stuff.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jiyaa in Enterprise, Alabama

52 months ago

which book would be best for PTCB any suggestion???

maribeth in Leominster, Massachusetts

52 months ago

any study guide by mosbys

cpht in Chicago, Illinois

52 months ago

jiyaa in Enterprise, Alabama said: which book would be best for PTCB any suggestion???

visit pharmacy rx by crystal zamudio
ptcb guide and and books for sell provided by amazon also helpful information for the future

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.