Walmart VS. CVS/Pharmacy

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (49)

Starrynite in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

58 months ago

I have 2 job offers. One from CVS and one from Walmart.
I am
-Certified Pharmacy Technician
-no experience
-part-time
-in college taking pre-reqs for pharmacy school.
-I was offered 10/h from CVS. I am unsure what Walmart will offer.

Which retail company is better to work for? On average who pays more? Does anyone have any experience with both of these companies?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (74) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

p4 in Chicago, Illinois

57 months ago

pick cvs if you want to get paid more as a pharmacist since they offer the highest salaries now.

pick walmart if you want a job that is a little less stressful (really depends on the store) when u are finally a pharmacist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Patrick Barbee in Denver, Colorado

56 months ago

I have worked for CVS for the past 3 years and have found them to be a good company to work for. I have worked at two store, one non-union and one union. I hate the union, so if you can find a store that is non-union, I would pick that one. The insurance with the union is pretty good, but raises are impossible and the workers don't care about how hard they work. The health insurance from the non-union store was really good and it was really in expensive. As for Wal-mart, I don't really have any idea, but I would rather not work for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

della b in detroit, Michigan

56 months ago

i worked at walmart and i hated it young lazy ass techs, over worked and stressed out pharmacist, then you will have to deal wit, " where r the telephones located" or " y isnt vicodin, xanax, adderall, and oxycontin "oxys" located on your $4 list? ohh yeah and my favorite, rhe other employees like cashiers who dont work in the pharmacy gettin an attitude b/c the didnt get "transfered" over to the pharmacy got outta there as soon as i could. you should try to get into an indpendent pharmacy i am and love it 9-6 4 days a week one sat a month closed on sun only rx's no assistant managers who dont know nothing about pharmacy only me and another tech a day

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Elmira, New York

56 months ago

There are too many typo's in this forum and not enough real experience for anyone to give good advice. Do what you think is right. I would go with the 10/hour first. Either company will probably make you miserable, at least go with the higher paying one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Elmira, New York

56 months ago

Joe in Elmira, New York said: There are too many typo's in this forum and not enough real experience for anyone to give good advice. Do what you think is right. I would go with the 10/hour first. Either company will probably make you miserable, at least go with the higher paying one.

What this means is that if you have to choose between only walmart or cvs, then choose cvs. If the pay is higher then that is one upside. I worked for walmart 4 and half year's ago and it was a miserable experience. I have never worked for cvs so I dont know what it's like working for them but working for $10 an hour sound's alot better than working for minamum wage at walmart.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

daniellejudith in Indianapolis, Indiana

55 months ago

i found a pharmacy tech shcool $649.00 for 12weeks vs walgreens(i think they offer for free, but you have to work for them) i don't like having the feeling that i owe someone so i think i will pay $649.00 /class is 1 night per week and there is a payment plan. since it appears as if the drugstores & walmart aren't the places to start then where? hospitals? kroger, marsh, or any other large food chain stores? i eventually want to go to pharmacy shcool, just testing the waters as a tech to see if pharmacy is for me. also, what places would be nice enough to hire a newbie with book experience? thanks in advance for the advice

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tammy Madrishin in Clearwater, Florida

55 months ago

What license is required for a pharmacy tech in Florida? How many hours of classes? etc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

DJ pauly derp in New York, New York

46 months ago

I don't trust people with improper grammar and spelling with my drugs, nor anyone who doesn't know the difference between "there, their, and they're."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Madio in Nixa, Missouri

45 months ago

If you're going into pharmacy, any tech job is a good job for the experience. You can work hard and eventually get to walgreens or the hospital. But you have to start somewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tanya in Upland, California

45 months ago

I heard Walgreens is one of the highest paying companies out of Cvs, Rite-aid, and Walmart. I know they pay their techs $20 plus an hour

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

Ben in Beaumont, Texas

44 months ago

Well I have worked at Wal-mart pharmacy for a little over a year now, and I get about 10.50 an hour. But I have a friend that works for the CVS in town and he said that some of the techs there get 9.45 starting out. It is definitely true that CVS gets more business and recommendations over Wal-mart. But the one perk that you get from wal-mart is the employee discount card.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

xoxo in Nottingham, Maryland

44 months ago

MY walmart pharmacy overworks me and is trying to schedule me to work when I have SCHOOL and their management is TERRIBLE, managers dont give a crap about you, they only want to keep their district managers out of their hair. Seems like CVS sucks too based on the replies here and they keep us on hold for like 8 minutes on average for transfers. I recommend you just try walgreens but I heard there only hire within. Plus walmart you have to wear their brainwash uniforms and no white coats to keep you warm :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

xoxo in Nottingham, Maryland

44 months ago

you get the discount card 3 months from your hire date and you dont get discount on the most important thing...
FOOD

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

asclark@twlakes.net in Baxter, Tennessee

43 months ago

Since we are trying to recycle our plastic we have found it very hard to remove the labels from the prescription drugs we take from wal-mart on those one in the blue flat plastic (which I perfer they be put in a bottle) I have to soak them in soapy water to be able to remove most of it. However Walgreens is real easy to remove and it will all remove at one time. Is there a chance that you all could change to a label that can be removed easy. I am sure you all support recycling since you carry products made from recycled material. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Demetria79 in Mckeesport, Pennsylvania

42 months ago

Feh in Burnsville, North Carolina said: CVS is HELL right now - upper management has always been penny-pinchers, but thanks to the recession they've taken it to a new level! Raises capped at 2%, full-timers limited to 30 hours a week, the Loss Prevention gestapo working even harder to find things to fire people for...

You might have good luck landing a job there...I think they're TRYING to fire or make as many 'senior' people quit to replace them with minimum-wage newbies.

Of course...I've talked to people that hate Wal-Mart as much. Just maybe not QUITE as much.

If you're intent to go to pharmacy school...FOR retail pharmacy - then don't put too much weight on all the negativity because you NEED to get a taste of what it's like firsthand. Go wherever you can get a job to actually try it first.

And go here too: thepharmacyalliance.com/

Cvs Didnt limit full time hours. I managed for 8 years. My tech always got 40 hours. The 2% raise was a 1 time deal. My lead techs have been there 10 to 26 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Demetria79 in Mckeesport, Pennsylvania

42 months ago

Starrynite in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I have 2 job offers. One from CVS and one from Walmart.
I am
-no experience
-part-time

Which retail company is better to work for? On average who pays more? Does anyone have any experience with both of these companies?

Take the CVS job. My techs love their job!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

wowo! in Stoneham, Massachusetts

42 months ago

talk about cranky people! Medicine and retail are a bad mix. Jobs that pay well in the US are harder to come by. If you don't like your job, do something about it! As for trying to be helpful....try improving yourself before you try to help others.

As for the truth, it all depends on store level management. They can make or break a good employee very quickly!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sara in Cypress, California

42 months ago

does anyone know what is the starting wage in CVS as pharm tech. here in southern cal.? i am doing my externship and the manager think i am doing exceptional well, but i heard they only pay around $12 to start.? can someone confirm this.? much appreciate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tina in Rocky Mount, North Carolina

41 months ago

Here in NC, regardless of experience,all newbies got min-wages:$7.50. Yep,yep, you've heard it right. They said they will raise to 8.40 (?) after 3 months of training (?). Anual raise 1.5% cap. I've also heard complain about the cutting hours of FT staffs.

Wal-Mart's starting rate is $8.9/hr.

Working conditions, depending on the store. But they all have 2 things in common: understaffed and overworked. Every techs at CVS hate drive-thru window (weather-dependent-back-breaking duty)

As for the big-fish-little-fish syndrome, CVS is just as bad as Wal-Mart. They pop up at every corner in every town. Soon, there will only 2 big corps: CVS and Wal-Green (i.e. Wal-Mart and Target).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kalilah in Jacksonville, Florida

33 months ago

I'm registered in the state of Missouri as a Pharmacy Technician How can I go about Transferring my license to the state of Florida??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tim in Tahlequah, Oklahoma

32 months ago

Tanya in Upland, California said: I heard Walgreens is one of the highest paying companies out of Cvs, Rite-aid, and Walmart. I know they pay their techs $20 plus an hour

Man, I wish I live in CA then lol...I've been a CPhT for over 10 years, and became employed in retail pharmacy at Walgreens after working in hospital pharmacy for many years. I started out at $9/hour, and now make $10/hr after obtaining my Oklahoma license..Top end pay here is $12/hour as Senior Tech.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jessy in Council Bluffs, Iowa

32 months ago

Iowa pays pretty good too.... ive been in the walmart pharmacy as a tech for 3 years and make over 12

andrea04 in Saint Marys, Georgia

32 months ago

Im looking for internship with CVS or walmart as a Pharmacy Tech I finish the program with Penn Foster looking for internship can someone help me please

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rx1120 in Wise, Virginia

31 months ago

I have worked for both. I began my pharmacy career at Walmart and soon learned that it was an absolute horrid decision. I soon changed jobs to CVS and stayed there for years until recently. (I left because of co-workers not because of the actual business)
Hope this helps.

anon58 in Safety Harbor, Florida

30 months ago

Demetria79 in Mckeesport, Pennsylvania said: Cvs Didnt limit full time hours. I managed for 8 years. My tech always got 40 hours. The 2% raise was a 1 time deal. My lead techs have been there 10 to 26 years.

Ah, if it was only a one time deal, why are they still only doing max 2%? 2011 was 2% max and hell, they still haven't given me all my back pay from that "raise" ...a year later. They are cutting corners to save money in other pharmacy areas too, not just pay. Though they are very stingy on pay for techs. At least here, other states may vary I suppose.
I've never heard of capping full time hours but I wouldn't put it past cvs in order to save money (since that is what they are all about now.)
Why are they starting people out at $9/hr with zero experience, but their techs who have been there 3+ years & know how to do everything (and definitely do EVERYTHING) are making like .45 cents more? REALLY? :\
I absolutely love my store & the people I work with, but as for the corporation I don't think they're doing things right to the pharmacy employees (or even front store). Without us doing all the hard labor they'd have no big paychecks to pay for their luxuries.

zeelani in Washington, District of Columbia

30 months ago

I know this is off topic, but does anybody know how to start a thread on the forum page? I have been trying for a little while and cant figure out how to do it.

30 months ago

I know this is off topic, but can anyone tell me how to start my own thread on the forum page? I have been trying for a little while but still cant get it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

I know this is off topic, but can anyone tell me how to start my own thread on the forum page? I have been trying for a little while but still cant get it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Star in Pompano Beach, Florida

30 months ago

Starrynite in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I have 2 job offers. One from CVS and one from Walmart.
I am
-no experience
-part-time

This is irrelevant to your question, but I am trying to be on the same path as you. I am 21 and I am currently in community college - pharmacy is my major. I want to start working as a pharmacy technician. How did you prepare for the certification test? What tips could you give me? I would appreciate all suggestions

T in Anaheim, California

30 months ago

I've worked for CVS for half a decade now, and I would love to tell you it's very labor intensive! They will drill you on every aspect of the pharmacy experience. In other words, if you are willing to learn at the cost of high stress and danger, choose CVS. They will prepare you for your job as a Pharmacist in the future. As for Walwart, i also hear bad things but as of recent, Rite-aid is the worst! Good luck!

T in Anaheim, California

30 months ago

I've worked for CVS for half a decade now, and I would love to tell you it's very labor intensive! They will drill you on every aspect of the pharmacy experience. In other words, if you are willing to learn at the cost of high stress and danger, choose CVS. They will prepare you for your job as a Pharmacist in the future. As for Walwart, i also hear bad things but as of recent, Rite-aid is the worst! Good luck!

M in Jersey City, New Jersey

30 months ago

I just gOt hired in pharmacy and am only getting $8.10 an hr from cvs. They said in a month or so I will go up to $8.90. Totally not worth the pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gargo in Red Oak, Texas

29 months ago

Joe in Elmira, New York said: I have never worked for CVS, but I did work for walmart and I absolutely did not like it! I am no stranger to hard work but the people who own that place have no regard or remorse for human life! Try CVS, you would probably be better off.

thats the same hting i thought when i went form working in walmart pharmacy to cvs... but it may be worse believe it or not.. im beginning to think that getting a job in retail pharmacy is just a dark tunnel with no light at the end :/ im desperatley looking for a hospital job but no luck so far.. i dont know how many more days i can go into work before i have a mental breakdown

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Frank in Hayward, California

29 months ago

Gargo in Red Oak, Texas said: thats the same hting i thought when i went form working in walmart pharmacy to cvs... but it may be worse believe it or not.. im beginning to think that getting a job in retail pharmacy is just a dark tunnel with no light at the end :/ im desperatley looking for a hospital job but no luck so far.. i dont know how many more days i can go into work before i have a mental breakdown

Retail pharmacy is a dark tunnel with no light at the end of it. It's so hard to get into hospital pharmacy without previous hospital experience. If I knew back when I went to school for PT what I know now, I would have run as fast as I could. If anyone wants a career in pharmacy and is young enough, then become a pharmacist. That's the only position in pharmacy where you can earn a decent living.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

African In Tx in Carrollton, Texas

29 months ago

Just got hired @ cvs, hopefully it goes well, 10.50 starting 11.** after training. cant complain but i think mail order pharm. is best bet instead of retail pharm.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

deb in Lisle, Illinois

29 months ago

I work at walmart pharmacy as a xertified pharmacy technician and its such a mental strain that its hard to focus on details. I get in trouble for this is as I have adult add. any advice would be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

anne in Austin, Texas

28 months ago

Joe in Elmira, New York said: I have never worked for CVS, but I did work for walmart and I absolutely did not like it! I am no stranger to hard work but the people who own that place have no regard or remorse for human life! Try CVS, you would probably be better off.

I work for CVS! The pharmacist that hired me was massively abusive. She would yell at me nonstop and not train me. At one point she paged me over the loud speaker. I guess it was so bad that the store manager yelled at her & told her it was bordering on Harassment! I found another store and they were not different. Now I found a 3rd. & they like what I can do so well that they don't want to train me for the rest.
They are just as bad as anyother company. You need to find a good group of people to work for not a "good company".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jv0621 in Springfield, Missouri

27 months ago

I got a interview with CVS here soon and after reading this, i am afraid of even working for them. I have another job lined up (at&t customer service) and don't know which will pay better. I don't have ANY experience, but CVS said they will pay for it and train me. IDK if i should because it seems like even as a certified PT, if i'm only making 8-9 dollars an hour, i much rather work as a bus boy or waiter. any thoughts? and does anyone know the pay FROM EXPERIENCE in springfield mo ...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ravenloo in Batavia, Ohio

27 months ago

I just was offered a job at cvs near Columbus.
Starting pay for a tech is $8.40 an hr , then $9
after certifificztion , which they pay for.
No guarantee of hours & a lot of traveling from store to store
Just to get 36-40 hrs a week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pharmacy Technician in Kansas City, Missouri

26 months ago

Don't work for Wal-Mart. I work for Wal-Mart.

JustMe in Longview, Texas

26 months ago

My wife worked as a Tech with CVS first. They offer training from zero (no experience). This is great plus, becuase she did not need to pay for any training, it was all OJT. However, the workload is terrible, they are constantly understaffed, and they fill far more scripts per month with far fewer people than WalMart. After 2 years there, she was offered a position at WalMart at the start of this year, and has loved it.

I am sure all stores are different in all locations (good CVS stores, bad CVS stores, etc.). This information is based entirely on her experiences. However, she would never again work for, or recommend, CVS to anyone. In fact, they have such a bad reputation (at least around here) they cannot even find new employees to fill the vacancies, even though they offer the training. Good luck with your endeavors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pharmacy Technician in Kansas City, Missouri

26 months ago

I'm going to give you a taste of my experience.

Wal-Mart Pharmacy is divided up into four work stations: 1) Drop-off Station, this is where you take prescriptions from customers and input them. 2) Side-counter Station, this is where you just input prescriptions that are scanned by the technician at the Drop-off window. You don't stand at the Drop-off window and take hard copies from the customer like he/she does at the Drop-off station. The difference between this and being a Drop-off technician is that being a Side-counter technician you have to take care of all insurance problems given back to you by the Cashier technician and call doctors offices to fix illegible handwritten prescriptions (verifying QTY, SIG, DRUG, STR, ETC). You are basically the backup of the Drop-off technician when he/she is overwhelmed with customers and he/she doesn't have time to input. 3) Filling Station, name is pretty self-explanatory. This is where you fill prescriptions and answer the telephone that RINGS constantly every 15-30-60 seconds. My store is fills around seven hundred to one thousand prescriptions on every WEEKDAY (less on fridays because doctor offices closes early). Weekends we fill at least two to four hundred prescriptions. 4) Cashier Station, this is where you ring up customer prescriptions and help customers locate OTC products if needed. This is where the money flows. Customers will sometimes just come to the pharmacy and check out their items too. Every station is overloaded with work and can roll over into the next station as well. Not to mention there are other pharmacy duties like zoning isles, RTS, etc that's needed to be done. ALOT MORE WORK.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

dalton in Ypsilanti, Michigan

26 months ago

Cygna in Ottawa, Ontario said: Dear DJ pauly derp, just because some people mix up their grammar like their, there,their and they're doesn't mean that they are ineducated. Sometimes it just means that they are typing fast and they don't give a crap if it's correct as long as they get their point across. There are all my there, their and they're correct...you're just being ignorant

It's UN educated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Palmetto, Florida

16 months ago

I am
-no experience
-part-time

I have worked for CVS and hated it. They started me out at 9.50 and it is very stressful and I did not get lunch or breaks for almost 7 months until I just took them but then you make everyone else made. You want less stress and benefits then Wal mart.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Palmetto, Florida

16 months ago

I worked for CVS and hated it. They do not care about the techs and overwork and underpay you. I was paid 9.50 to start and got no breaks or lunches. God forbid if you do take a break or lunch because you then have everyone mad at you. At least Wal mart closes down for lunch and I am sure you get breaks and benefits. Do not work for CVS unless they start you at $12hr.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Amy in Brunswick, Georgia

9 months ago

Hi, I just applied for a Pharmacy Technician job through CVS. They will train me and then start me out working. I sent in my $100 to do the application, did my finger printing, and I was told to check the Georgia Board of Pharmacy under licenses to see if my name is there. I do not have a license, why would I be checking there for my name?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Amy in Brunswick, Georgia

9 months ago

Amy in Brunswick, Georgia said: Hi, I just applied for a Pharmacy Technician job through CVS. They will train me and then start me out working. I sent in my $100 to do the application, did my finger printing, and I was told to check the Georgia Board of Pharmacy under licenses to see if my name is there. I do not have a license, why would I be checking there for my name?

Sorry if it is a dumb question, but it is driving me crazy and I do not want to keep bugging them with questions. Thanks so much!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Miami, Florida

7 months ago

CVS is the WORST pay Pharmacy! DO NOT WORK FOR THIS CRAPPY PHARMACY, ITS ALL ABOUT NUMBERS AND STRESS ON YOUR HEAD.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.