Not Sure How to Prepare for the PTCE, or What Books to Use? Read This! ^_^

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Emiloo in California

57 months ago

Hello everyone. I have seen many people on here who are unsure about how to prepare for the PTCE or what books they should use. I hope my posts helps those who are unsure.

*Just a note: I would prefer that people only post about how to prepare for the exam and stay on topic. There are many posts about the PTCE and math problems - I think if you have questions about those areas, it’s better you post there. Your questions will be better addressed there. Thank you! ^_^

I took the PTCE two months ago on December 19th and received my score a little over a week later, on the 28th. I got an 854 out of 900, so I think my method of preparation will prove to be successful to anyone who follows it.

For me, the majority of the test was easy, but there were a few questions I didn't know. Studying/reviewing was what made the test easy for me.

The best advice is to study as much as you can. The number of questions on the test (90 instead of 100) is SO small compared to the amount of information covered in class. I think that that aspect is what makes it hard to study, because you need to know everything and you don't know what'll be on the test.

Some areas to study include:
- Top 200 drugs (names/classifications)
- Math (even retail math)
- Acts/laws
- Scheduled substances
- Procedures in community/institutional pharmacies
- Compounding
- Aseptic technique

You shouldn't go by this list alone - study all you can!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Emiloo in California

57 months ago

It is good to invest in a review book. Either borrow one from someone you know, or purchase one on Amazon/Ebay. The most popular book is by Mosby.

These are the review books I used:
- Mosby's Review for the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam, 2nd Edition
- The Pharmacy Technician Workbook & Certification Review, 3rd Edition (It is white.)
- Complete Math Review for the Pharmacy Technician, 2nd Edition (The purple book with the cute pill guy in it.)

I also re-read parts of two textbooks that I used when I was in a Pharmacy Technician program. They were:
- Pharmacology for Technicians, 3rd Edition by Don Ballington
- Pharmacy Practice for Technicians, 3rd Edition by Don Ballington

If you were in a Pharmacy Technician progam, I recommend reviewing the textbooks you have received. If you were not in any program, the review books I mentioned above will work. I only recommend purchasing textbooks if you have the money and/or are aiming to get a really high or perfect score on the exam.

Re-reading old handouts and notes from class is very valuable. If you were not in any program, don’t worry too much about it.

Making and using flashcards is helpful. Not only should you make them for drugs, but make them for laws and math formulas.

I liked reading the posts on this site. There are some posts about the exam and people who wrote about their experiences. They were helpful, but made me feel overwhelmed about the exam.

If you're in class right now, try to take it as soon as possible after you finish. Like, give yourself a few weeks to review. Studying becomes harder if you don't take it early. Trust me on this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Emiloo in California

57 months ago

Last, but not least, if you need help or have a question, ask someone! Ask your teacher, or go to Jeanetta's PTCB Study Group on Yahoo.

health.groups.yahoo.com/group/JeanettasPTCBStudyGroup/

I didn't really use that site for reviewing, but I looked around on it and it has valuable information. Feel free to post questions there, or on this forum of course. Also, ask your classmates or any former ones you know. I may pop in here from time to time to answer some questions.

If you become overwhelmed while studying, take time to breathe. It is not a good idea to cram, but it is inevitable. I even did that an hour before the test. Haha

When you take the exam, you may come across a question that you have no idea of. Make a good guess of it. Try to eliminate some of the answers.

A lot of people say to relax, but it'll be hard to when you get closer to taking the exam. Try to relax anyway! lol

Well, I hope my post is helpful to you all. ^_^

P.S. When you go to take the test, only bring your driver's license/ID and the ATT letter. You will be given a locker for stuff like car keys and anything you happen to have on you. They will give you a calculator and board with a black marker as scratch paper. You will get fingerprinted a bunch of times and have your picture taken. I felt kinda weird being in the exam room at first, because of the fact that everyone is constantly video and audio monitored. Try not to let it get to you, though. Focus on the exam, and you will be fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Repo in Arlington, Texas

55 months ago

Im an retired nasa scientist andI scored a 900/900 first try..the exam is a joke i can get a perfect score again with my eyes close

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

Repo in Arlington, Texas

55 months ago

PTCB is very easy/ I scored 900/900

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Meems in Moreno Valley, California

46 months ago

I'm about to take the exam in 3 weeks. Are there anything in particular I should focus on? One review book mentioned that there's only 90 questions with only 2 hours given. Some others said there's about 120 with 3 hours.

Any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

VP Joe Biding in La Puente, California

46 months ago

Prez Barack Osama in Riverside, California said: I had an extra $150 laying around so I took the exam and passed..not even studying 884 out 900..i brought my 5 year old kid into take the exam, and they usually have an age requirement, but they let him take it just for fun...and he passed! So I said wow, I went to the welfare office got a bunch of illegals trying to get benefits to take the exam, and get this the state paid for the illegals to take the exam because they were Illegal! Let's see, there was Maria Jose Maria another Maria, than another Jose...well they all passed! And they didnt even speak English..the great thing is that after we all passed..the instructor had us line up and gave us all blolw jobs! So not only did we all get are pharmacy jobs but we got blow jobs too...my son was outside in the car..because he hadnt taken the exam yet! But I'm sure the instructor would have given him a blow job too, but common..he is just a kid! Anyway after we all get our new jobs and dicks sucked, we all went out for icecream..and Maria used her EBT card to pay for us all..God bless America!

the exam is a huge joke.
very often i feel insecure when i read posts by some pharm techs/aspiring pharm techs, because they type like they never passed elementary english and some of the questions they have about calculations are so basic it's ridiculous.
i can't believe we have some really illiterate folks handling our parents/grandparents with medications.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

wee in La Puente, California

46 months ago

Meems in Moreno Valley, California said: I'm about to take the exam in 3 weeks. Are there anything in particular I should focus on? One review book mentioned that there's only 90 questions with only 2 hours given. Some others said there's about 120 with 3 hours.

Any advice?

it's 90 with 2 hours. 10 of those 90 don't count towards your score. focus on: 1.math, 2.general stuff, 3.drug-specific stuff

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hamza in Houston, Texas

13 months ago

Here is the link for free practice questions.

adf.ly/VCAwG

Regards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Robie_786 in Alexandria, Virginia

8 months ago

Hi..
I wana take pharmacy tech 1 test... i just want to ask,, do i have to study the whole book for the test. because some tech told me that i have to study first 10 chapter to take tech 1 test.
please reply ASAP.
Thanks

Seriousaboutthis in Markham, Illinois

8 months ago

Robie_786 in Alexandria, Virginia said: Hi..
I wana take pharmacy tech 1 test... i just want to ask,, do i have to study the whole book for the test. because some tech told me that i have to study first 10 chapter to take tech 1 test.
please reply ASAP.
Thanks

If I were you, I would focus on the subject matter that you are the weakest in. If math/calculations are you weak point, then spend the majority of your time on that. If medications are your weak point, study that. Same for pharm law, order and procedures, aseptic procedures, etc. Just focus on your weak areas.

PTCBEASY in San Francsico, California

3 months ago

Hello,If you are struggling passing the PTCB exam or scared need that extra assurance, you are not alone! I have been there! I'm happy to help! I noticed many books out there make it harder than it needs to be! You don't need a tutor! You don't need to spend 10k for a school or 2k for one of those online schools. All you need is the right tools to pass the exam! I spent countless hours of hard sweat work to find the right tools that made it easy to understand. I passed the PTCB exam with flying colors on the first attempt! If you need help contact me at ptcbeasy@gmail.com

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.