What should I study for the pharm tech certification exam?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (26)

Cathy Surratt in Davison, Michigan

78 months ago

I'm currently enrolled in the pharm tech program at my college and I was wondering what I should study for my certification exam and what the ups and downs of this career field will be, i.e. salary, hours, job availability, ect...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (131) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Vintrelle Howard in New Orleans, Louisiana

78 months ago

I would like to know the same.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

mlp in Warwick, New York

78 months ago

I took the test in september & passed. Definetly study the math calculations, not so much fractions but know how to convert micrograms to milligrams & such. Know your laws. take your time & rethink each question. I used a study guide right from the ptcb website - it's the best $70 I ever spent!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mlp in Warwick, New York

77 months ago

BECKY in Naples, Florida said:

it only took a week & i found out right on line. it was the worst week of my life!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Becky in Naples, Florida

77 months ago

mlp in Warwick, New York said: it only took a week & i found out right on line. it was the worst week of my life!!!

Is this where you found your result? www.proexam.org
I took mine last Thurs. I keep checking this site no result yet. I hope I will find out within a week like you did. I have been stressing big time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Becky in Naples, Florida

77 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

mlp in Chester, New York

77 months ago

Becky in Naples, Florida said: I mean this site.
www.proexam.org/ptcb/review/index.page

when you took the test they should have given you a paper at the end that says when to check. go to www.ptcb.org & go to results, you'll have to enter your password. good luck, i'm sure you did fine!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kristen in Tacoma, Washington

77 months ago

mlp in Warwick, New York said: I took the test in september & passed. Definetly study the math calculations, not so much fractions but know how to convert micrograms to milligrams & such. Know your laws. take your time & rethink each question. I used a study guide right from the ptcb website - it's the best $70 I ever spent!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!

Are there a ton of questions regarding side effects and contraindications of drugs. I am comfortable with the math stuff, but I am really nervous about the 200 drugs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

NANCY KIMZEY in Coldwater, Mississippi

76 months ago

ARE THERE ALOT OF QUESTIONS ABOUT THE DRUGS AND THIER SIDE EFFECTS AND GENERIC NAME ON THE TEST?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

list in Miami, Florida

68 months ago

Becky in Naples, Florida said: Is this where you found your result? www.proexam.org

lise

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Angela in Indianapolis, Indiana

58 months ago

what book(s) did you order?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Angela in Indianapolis, Indiana

58 months ago

What book(s) did you use to study?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

az2000 in Tempe, Arizona

51 months ago

Mikaela23 in Davao, Philippines said: There are some books you could use as your reference and they are the following
 Mosby’s Review for the PTCB
 Pharmacy Technician Workbook
 APhA’s Complete Math Review
 The Pharmacy Technician
 Mosby’s Review for the Pharmacy

Just a data point:

Folks should check their library. I was surprised that mine has 2 pharmacy tech books, and 3-4 math dosage books. (Math for Nurses by Boyer is pretty good. Concise but not like a reference card.).

And, if you carefully compare editions, etc., you can get smoking deals on used books at Amazon and eBay.

I picked up 4 used books on Amazon. New they would cost $235. I got them for around $70 with shipping.

One was a smoking deal. $3 instead of $60. 9th Edition instead of 10th. I don't think there could be too many errors corrected that late in the book's life. The cover was cut with a razor blade. A little clear packaging tape fixed that.

It's a little risky. But, it's easy to get into some books without the risk of investing big $ in a book that might no resonate with you.

Check out used books!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Miss Fay in Kirkland, Washington

42 months ago

Study Mosbeys Study guides and practice dvd's !! If you master sets 3-7 I guarantee you will pass. I had no problem on my first try.

!!! Also, all that read this comment !! I passed my certification in April and have my first interview next week !!! Let us pray !!

Miss Fay Roswell Georgia

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Miss Fay in Kirkland, Washington

42 months ago

Christian in Laurel, Mississippi said: I am studying for the pharmacy tech exam also. I am curious as to the job market . Am i going to be able to find a job if i pass the exam...Please someone let me know. Thanks!

It depends on where you live!! If you are in an extremely saturated job market it may be harder, I live in Roswell ( a suburb of Atlanta). Here it's about who you know and who you can make friends with.I had help from everywhere. I have my first interview through a friend that manages a store. !! Again !! Pray for me !! I have my first interview next week. I have had more than six months to prepare, :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

icelily20 in North Brunswick, New Jersey

32 months ago

mlp in Warwick, New York said: it only took a week & i found out right on line. it was the worst week of my life!!!

Did you get a job in nyc, easily?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ms.Martin216 in Cleveland, Ohio

29 months ago

I just recently took the Pharmacy Tech Exam and it was not easy, I won't lie, but I'm not giving up i would like to thank all of you that have posted helpful materials to help those that are still studying I know a good website that I studied from(should of been on there nore than I was obviously) is Pharmacy_Tech_Study.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bonberto3 in Montreal, Quebec

24 months ago

I'm happy to take part of this forum,Currently I prepare to take the PTCB text,your comments are so helpful for me.It's interesting to help each other on this field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Daizy in Odessa, Texas

18 months ago

mlp in Warwick, New York said: I took the test in september & passed. Definetly study the math calculations, not so much fractions but know how to convert micrograms to milligrams & such. Know your laws. take your time & rethink each question. I used a study guide right from the ptcb website - it's the best $70 I ever spent!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!

Hello did you just study the test and took the test with out the classes?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Rajan in Chicago, Illinois

15 months ago

I m from other country.I have knowledge oF science and medicine .I have passed bachleors degree.can i give pharmacy técnicians exam?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Wantjob in Reston, Virginia

12 months ago

I ahve already passed PTCB 4 months ago and didn't find job. They now want Virginia state board certificate. Can any one help me with materials for this particular exam. I am tired have many certificates and degree but unable tofind job..Help...Help.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ANDREA ROBINSON in Royal Oak, Michigan

8 months ago

Taking my test August 30th, 2013. Im nervous but so ready to get it over with. One of my downfalls is trying to remember so many different TYPES of math problems,That I need to know, Any Advise or tips. Just gone use this month to continue to do each kind untill it just become natural.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ANDREA ROBINSON in Royal Oak, Michigan

7 months ago

Just passed on the 30th. They only had about 6 math questions, Couple medicade/medicare questions, i had alot of top 200 drug questions, couple tempture coversion questions and a couple of just common since questions

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Erica in Austin, Texas

6 months ago

Super Nervous!!! Was the test thru NHA @ a PSI testing center? How many questions were on the test?

andrea_kay91@yahoo.com in Judsonia, Arkansas

2 months ago

I am a little confused I know there are 1 year long tech training programs for pharm tech as well as on the job training through a pharmacy, but my question is can you simply study and take the exam to gain certification? I am interested in doing this before beginning any on the job training because a lo of pharmacies require that you be certified as a pre-requisite for employment, so I feel it will give me a advantage.

Seriousaboutthis in Markham, Illinois

2 months ago

andrea_kay91@yahoo.com in Judsonia, Arkansas said: I am a little confused I know there are 1 year long tech training programs for pharm tech as well as on the job training through a pharmacy, but my question is can you simply study and take the exam to gain certification? I am interested in doing this before beginning any on the job training because a lo of pharmacies require that you be certified as a pre-requisite for employment, so I feel it will give me a advantage.

I was able to do this.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.