Has anyone taken the certification test in Indiana?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (34)

Jeanne in Chesterton, Indiana

82 months ago

What are the main questions on the test? What areas should I concentrate on? I'm taking the test in Indiana I don't know if all the states are similar or not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

T Skowronek in Indianapolis, Indiana

80 months ago

Jeanne in Chesterton, Indiana said: What are the main questions on the test? What areas should I concentrate on? I'm taking the test in Indiana I don't know if all the states are similar or not.

I'm taking it March 8, so I'll let you know!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JEANNE in Valparaiso, Indiana

80 months ago

T Skowronek in Indianapolis, Indiana said: I'm taking it March 8, so I'll let you know!

THANKS I TOOK IN IN DECEMBER PASSED ON FIRST TRY. SURPRISING AFTER BEING OUT OF THE TECH BUS. FOR 12 YEARS. HOPE YOU ARE KNOWLEDGEABLE IN HOSPITAL SETTINGS AND IV PREP LOTS OF IT ON MY TEST HAD I NOT WORKED IN A HOSPITAL PHARMACY PROBABLY WOULD NOT HAVE PASSED.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Vicky in Cary, North Carolina

80 months ago

I would like to know which book is best to study from to take the test? I would also like to know how do you learn all the medications and their generics and be able to remember when you see it on a test.

JEANNE in Valparaiso, Indiana

80 months ago

I purchased a book from amazon. i dont have it in front of me but its purple if i remeber right. it is the one w/the 3 part pharmacy tech review. its set up like the test in 3-4 sections. it was around 20-30 dollars. it was a big help. the book breaks it down pretty much like the exam. as far as remembering the generics ...memorize memorize. on my test there was more calculations than generics so be prepared. know how to caluculate doses. good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JOBLESS IN INDIANA in Indianapolis, Indiana

79 months ago

I am thinking of taking the online course for pharmacy tech I am in Indiana but I hate to put out money and still not get a job.I was going to go through that penn foster school also but do you know if companies consider this an accredited school my cousin took medical assistant and still did not get a job because of no experience I do not know what school she went through though.

TimothySkowronek420@msn.com in Indianapolis, Indiana

79 months ago

JOBLESS IN INDIANA in Indianapolis, Indiana said: I am thinking of taking the online course for pharmacy tech I am in Indiana but I hate to put out money and still not get a job.I was going to go through that penn foster school also but do you know if companies consider this an accredited school my cousin took medical assistant and still did not get a job because of no experience I do not know what school she went through though.

Check out the program at Clarian Health Services. It's 9 months, you observe at all in-patient & out-patient pharms in the network, do hands-on IV work and do 2 one-month clinicals in their hospitals. And the person who wrote one of the texts is the director and teaches the classes. Good training for hospital work, and they place most students into Clarians hospitals (IU, Riley, Methodist).
I took my PTCB Saturday. A lot easier than I expected. Quite a bit of math, but I don't remember any drip rates at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JOBLESS IN INDIANA in Indianapolis, Indiana

79 months ago

Thank you for your information I will certainly check that out is that the program you went throough ? Good Luck to you with your career, the job market is scary today without an education so I got to do something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in Eden Prairie, Minnesota

79 months ago

JOBLESS IN INDIANA in Indianapolis, Indiana said: I am thinking of taking the online course for pharmacy tech I am in Indiana but I hate to put out money and still not get a job.I was going to go through that penn foster school also but do you know if companies consider this an accredited school my cousin took medical assistant and still did not get a job because of no experience I do not know what school she went through though.

I actually went to an inclass tech school for 9 months...
that was over 2 years ago, and Im still applying for work...

so I dont know what some silly online class is going to prove
to any employer, it is just a prep class to help you pass
the PTCE.

Darren in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

79 months ago

John in Eden Prairie, Minnesota said: I actually went to an inclass tech school for 9 months...

the PTCE.

I have an opening for a Director of Pharmacy in TX. Would you or anyone you know be interested in the position?

whiteja0525

62 months ago

Who do I call in Indiana to ask question about the state test in Indiana. I

Jessica in Saint George, Georgia

60 months ago

Has anyone ever heard of st augustine school of medical assistants. it is an online ma program that takes 8 weeks but it is all online and i dont know if i could get a job with have gotten my certificate onine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

tmonick in Jonesboro, Georgia

60 months ago

Training as an medical assistant. You definitely have to have hands on. There are clinicals involved with this program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Summer in Sartell, Minnesota

60 months ago

An online MA program that is less than one year is probably not going to do much for your future career. You will need to take a residential class so you can do the hands on learning- like blood draws.

Jennifer in Greenwood, Indiana

60 months ago

Does anyone know if you have to take a pharmacy tech course or can you just study on your own and take the certification test?

vicky3278 in Knightdale, North Carolina

60 months ago

Hi Jennifer,

As long as you have the proper material to study to become a pharmacy tech then that's all you need to become nationally certified. You do not have to go to school to become a pharmacy tech, to be honest it's really a waste of money and I say that because most places whether it's in retail, long term care or hospitals you are trained their way so it's really not worth spending the money to go to school unless you are the type that need to be guided but the material on pharmacy tech is really good and helpful so it's no reason why you wouldn't pass the test by studying the material on your own.

I can tell you that the best place to get your pharmacy Tech books is on amazon.com and at a reasonable price or you can try e-bay as well. You don't need to pay a lot of money for the material and you will get the same result as if you paid a bundle.

Whatever you decide I wish you luck!!

With Regard,
Vicky

Jennifer in Greenwood, Indiana said: Does anyone know if you have to take a pharmacy tech course or can you just study on your own and take the certification test?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Greenwood, Indiana

60 months ago

vicky3278 in Knightdale, North Carolina said: Hi Jennifer,

As long as you have the proper material to study to become a pharmacy tech then that's all you need to become nationally certified. You do not have to go to school to become a pharmacy tech, to be honest it's really a waste of money and I say that because most places whether it's in retail, long term care or hospitals you are trained their way so it's really not worth spending the money to go to school unless you are the type that need to be guided but the material on pharmacy tech is really good and helpful so it's no reason why you wouldn't pass the test by studying the material on your own.

Hi Vicky,

Thank you for the information. I was thinking the same thing that the classes are just a waste of money, because I can study on my own.

I have been trying to do some research on the different books that is out there to choose from. To me they all are the same. Do you have a suggestion on one?

Again, thank you!

Jennifer

vicky3278 in Raleigh, North Carolina

60 months ago

Hi Jennifer,

The book that I have is by American Pharmacists Association called Basic Pharmacy and Pharmacology Series The Pharmacy Technician Second Edition(purple cover) and it's also a work book and certification review(white cover) you can use with it. Try amazon to see what they have. The books shouldn't be much over $20 each if you get it used but please make sure it states in good condition or excellent before you purchase. I buy my books and DVD movies from them all time,LOL! You can also try ebay.com. Once you get onto the websites, go to the search box and type in pharmacy technician books and all the books they have on their site will appear.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I am happy to help anyway I can.

Take care!

Vicky

Jennifer in Greenwood, Indiana said:

60 months ago

You don't have to take a course you could study on your own. With me I have 2years experience working in a pharmacy, so that helps. I was going to a class but it was a waste of money I dropped out and decided to study on my own, after all I was studying on my own anyway. Save your money and study on your own. Try going to Retail pharmacies and speak with the pharmacist about just doing and internship while you study to become certified.

60 months ago

vicky3278 in Knightdale, North Carolina said: Hi Jennifer,

I can tell you that the best place to get your pharmacy Tech books is on amazon.com and at a reasonable price or you can try e-bay as well. You don't need to pay a lot of money for the material and you will get the same result as if you paid a bundle.

Whatever you decide I wish you luck!!

With Regard,
Vicky

I feel the same way exactly.

60 months ago

PCTB-A GOOD BOOK TO STUDY COMES WITH A CD SO YOU CAN DO PRACTICE TESTS.

Sarah119 in Indianapolis, Indiana

59 months ago

This industry has peaked my interest :) After reading through all of the above posts I think I'm going to see where this leads me. I've been a stay at home mom for 10 years and I now need to figure out what career path I'd like to take so I can help contribute (financially) to my family. I have the list of books needed to study and information on how to get the state certification. Now I'd like your thoughts on how to get the hands on training that is recommended. Any thoughts or suggestions are very much appreciated.

59 months ago

Go to retail pharmacies and let them know that you are study to become a certified Tech and you would like to get hands on training usually they will consider you for employment. Good luck to you.

tcollins1017 in Atlanta, Georgia

59 months ago

Vicky, so you do not have to take the classed in NC? How long did it take you to study for exam? I am going to try to order the books today. Do you know if NC you have to be certified to work as tech? Thanks, Tracy

vicky3278 in Raleigh, North Carolina said: Hi Jennifer,

The book that I have is by American Pharmacists Association called Basic Pharmacy and Pharmacology Series The Pharmacy Technician Second Edition(purple cover) and it's also a work book and certification review(white cover) you can use with it. Try amazon to see what they have. The books shouldn't be much over $20 each if you get it used but please make sure it states in good condition or excellent before you purchase. I buy my books and DVD movies from them all time,LOL! You can also try ebay.com. Once you get onto the websites, go to the search box and type in pharmacy technician books and all the books they have on their site will appear.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I am happy to help anyway I can.

Take care!

Vicky

59 months ago

Hi Tracy,

No, u do not have to be certified here yet to work in a pharmacy. They train u at places like Walmart, CVS, Kerr Drugs, Walgreens, Target, Rite Aid; etc basically any retail Pharmacy. They are just happy to get someone to come in and work. I enjoy it even though it can get hectic sometimes. Once u get the Pharmacy Tech reading material study until you feel comfortable enough to take the National Certification and u will be fine. Good luck! I hope the information I gave u helped.

Vicky

Francine in Spring Valley, California

57 months ago

Wow! I didnt know that you can study on your own to be a Pharmacy Technician. Doea anybody know if its the same in California? Because im planning to go back to school this 2010. I saw a website called US Career College its an online course for 4months.

Im confuse, Because there's a school here in San Diego, CA called UEI and the tuition fee is $13,000+ then at US career college online is only $800+ for pharmacy tech.

HELP! Which one is better, online class, going to school or study on my own???

57 months ago

If you think it's easy to stay focused while studying at home then I think you should study on your own. Why pay that kind of money when it's not that hard to get certified? The same material you use to self study is the same they use in the classes where you pay all that money you can use on other things. That's just my opinion but do some more research and come to your own conclusion. Good luck to you!

CPhT, ft wayne in Danville, Illinois

57 months ago

When you take the PTCB, you are not to discuss the questions on the test for three years. You risk having your national certification revoked.

Jeanne in Chesterton, Indiana said: What are the main questions on the test? What areas should I concentrate on? I'm taking the test in Indiana I don't know if all the states are similar or not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

LMY in Indianapolis, Indiana

56 months ago

Jennifer in Greenwood, Indiana said:

HI MY NAME IS LASHONDA Y AND I WAS INSTERESTED IN THE SAME INFO YOU WERE SAYING JUST WANTED TO KNOW DID YOU EVER GET THE TEXT BOOK INFO AND IF SO DID IT HELP? ARE YOU CERTIFIED THRU YOUR STATE YET?

EMW in Minnesota in Minneapolis, Minnesota

56 months ago

Hi everybady. I am thining to take national board of exams,I am not sure where to study from the material

stephanie

52 months ago

Hi just moved to NC and used to work at rite aide in PA in the pharmacy as a cashier but also helped to count and fill perscriptions. Want to become a tech here in NC and would like to know best way to do that. Also once you are a certified tech will the license transfer to other states?

Giovanni Carloe in Hawaii

14 months ago

Seems this thread is three months old. There are lots of rumors going around with St Augustine School Of Medical Assistants that we are talking in another thread so I looked for other threads. Glad I found this one. Seeing that it's being mentioned even before is a relief. All lessons are online but it's still real classes and you really have to study if you want them to release a diploma for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JJCMA in California

14 months ago

Giovanni Carloe in Hawaii said: Seems this thread is three months old. There are lots of rumors going around with St Augustine School Of Medical Assistants that we are talking in another thread so I looked for other threads. Glad I found this one. Seeing that it's being mentioned even before is a relief. All lessons are online but it's still real classes and you really have to study if you want them to release a diploma for you.

Here you are again promoting that diploma mill St. Augustine School of Medical Assistants. Donald A. Balasa, JD, MBA, executive director and legal counsel for the American Association of Medical Assistants had this to say about that school:

The St. Augustine School of Medical Assistants appears on a list of " Unauthorized Schools and Invalid Degrees" posted by the State of Oregon. The site says, " The following colleges and universities are not permitted to enroll Oregon students or offer degree programs in Oregon. Degrees from these colleges are not valid in Oregon, and may not be used for academic or employment purposes, or acknowledged as a credential in any public forum or publication, including on a website or in communication related to professional practice or participation in professional organizations."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

steven in Evansville, Indiana

12 months ago

John in Eden Prairie, Minnesota said: I actually went to an inclass tech school for 9 months...

the PTCE.

I took a " silly " online course and passed my exam and guess what, I'm working in a hospital. So maybe you can't find a job because you suck, or you have bad references. From your comment, you need to take a course on not being rude.
So yeah, I highly recommend online school.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.