How does tech get IV certified?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 175)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

BF in Lake Jackson, Texas

82 months ago

I see alot of comments on this board recommending IV Certification. How do you go about doing that? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (261) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

nice doc in Pittsburg, California

82 months ago

When you pay and attend schooling, part of the lab program/externship

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Nicolicious in Brea, California

80 months ago

There are courses you can take. I'm trying to find one myself. Someone recommended one here in in CA for me, Genesis Medical...but I guess that's kind of a drive for you, huh? Haha. Anyway, you can usually find courses in your area if you look online.

Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Beklyn23 in cape coral, Florida

80 months ago

does anybody know of any courses or hospitals in SW FL that will IV certify?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

shierff bker in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

80 months ago

i am 18 year old n im in school now for pharmacy tech,,,,,it so much fun, i get to learn about new drugs n wat they do to ur body!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (50) Reply - Report abuse

Dony in Canton, Michigan

79 months ago

Based on this I think that soon will have the chance to become IV certified:

The Pharmacy Technician Certification Board is considering offering a new certification program in IV admixture as well as continuous testing
Dec 11, 2007
Drug Topics Daily News

Certified technicians who want to move up the career ladder may have a new option open to them in the future. The Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) is considering setting up a certification program in IV admixture, now that the U.S. Pharmacopeia has finalized its Chapter 797 clean room standards. That's one thing Melissa Murer Corrigan, CEO of PTCB, revealed at the ASHP midyear meeting in Las Vegas last week. Another plan PTCB is mulling is to offer continuous certification testing, rather than holding tests only on certain days, she added. This will offer technicians greater convenience in taking the test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

tonya

77 months ago

does anyone know of any classes in the dallas ft. worth area

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Angela Adams in San Antonio, Texas

77 months ago

christie martin in San Antonio, Texas said: hi tonya,

my name is christie i live in san antonio and i teach the course here. i would travel to dallas to certify you if that was an option for you. My email address is sofia_dabalsa@yahoo.com if you are interested.

take care

Hi Christie,
My name is Angela and I am currently enrolled at SCI here in San Antonio. I will graduate in Nov 2008 and was just asking my PT instructor about taking IV certification classes. The only advice she had was to call the area hospitals. I would also like to obtain a position as a PT in a hospital once I get my certification, but my instructor says it's virtually impossible. Any advice???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Nicolette Cyr in Las Vegas, Nevada

76 months ago

I am interested in becoming IV certified in Las Vegas, Nevada allowing me to work in a hospital setting. I would appreciate any info regarding a class. Thanks

cc51@earthlink.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

leila in Gainesville, Virginia

75 months ago

i am pharmacy tech with 5 years experiance,and i am interested in becoming iv certifid in va.
i would appreciate any info regarding a iv class.thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lurena in Northport, Alabama

75 months ago

I am new to this and i am trying to learn as much as possible. I am going to be employed at walmart in Tuscaloosa, AL. What is IV Certifid ? I have just sent off for my license do allow me to do the job.... I want to learn more if anyone can help please do so.... email me at mookiegul@yahoo.com

justice in Dallas, Texas

75 months ago

tonya said: does anyone know of any classes in the dallas ft. worth area

check out Richland community college. They have a tech program which is the only accredited program in north texas. They offer pharm tech I, pharm tech II and IV cert. With the IV cert you have to finish your Pharm tech I and then work in the field of pharmacy for at least six month before you can be granted admission into the program. You can also be IV certified by enrolling in the Pharm tech II program immediately you finish the tech I. you can get IV cert in both ways. The pharm tech is well recommended by employers as compared to just getting certified in IV only. check them out WWW.DCCCD.EDU ONLINE CLASSES ARE AVAILABLE AS WELL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Amee Walls in Fayetteville, North Carolina

74 months ago

I am very interested in a course like this. I am nationally certified but have only worked retail. I need more experience to get hired in a hopital.

Thanks,
Amee Walls

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Vera in Houston, Texas

74 months ago

There are IV certification classes at Houston Community College @ the Health Sciences Campus in the medical center. much cheaper than all the other schools.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Bethany in Lake Jackson, Texas

74 months ago

Thank you Vera! Can you tell me any more about it? I went to their website but didn't see any info. Also about how much is it?

Bethany

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Christie in San Antonio, Texas

74 months ago

Hi all,

Vera is right they have a class in Houston. The thing is that the U of H only does it 2 times a year.

Sterile Solutions is based out of San Antonio and charges 450.00 but it is supplemented online so it is really convenient. Check out there
website for prices.

www.sterilesolutions.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Christine in Dallas

74 months ago

justice in Dallas, Texas said: if you live in dallas fortworth area, and looking for an accredited pharmacy tech program then kindly check out this site www.richlandcollege.edu/hp

I have 1 week left of the Pharm Tech I program at Richland College in Dallas and I DO NOT RECOMMEND the program. This is the Community Pharmacy Program. This is more of a PTCB review program and you could easily purchase books and study at home and save a lot of time and money. When you attend an information session prior to enrolling, they will tell you the classes will provide lots of hand-on learning. NOT TRUE! We had 2 class periods of "hands-on" learning and during those classes we couldn't even complete some of our labs due to the fact the materials had not been ordered. The class was too large so we weren't shown how to compound, we were just given written instructions and told to do it. Our entire class has voiced several concerns/complaints to the instructor, the Program Director as well as the Dean and nothing has been resolved. We're about to start our externship and there are only a couple who are continuing on to the Institutional Pharmacy program at Richland. There are a handful of us who are looking into Sterile Solutions, and other IV Certification courses. The majority of the class is just ready to get out of there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Hi Christine,

I am sorry to hear about your troubles at Richland. I can't say that I have heard of good things from there. I recommend that you finish it out and chalk it up to experience. The thing about for-profit shcools is that first and foremost they are a business. The bottom-line is all that matters. In my professional opinion many of them drive the value of education down when they make promises to students they can't deliver. I am not surprised that you didn't have supplies in your classroom. As a previous for-profit educator I am all too familiar with your story. That is a huge part of the reason I started Sterile Solutions. I know that there is a need for technicians to practice this skill and I also know that the schools out there do not deliver the quality education you are paying for. I am willing to bet you have spent between 11 and 13 thousand dollars on this program. It is a shame. I can teach you more for a lot less. I have been in the field for over 15 years and I have seen the growth of our profession. Many schools have jumped on the bandwagon if you will simply to make money. ONLY to make money. There needs to be more of a balance between academic objectives and business objectives. I am also painfully aware that "lab" is non-existant in many programs. Another reason I wrote my own laboratory book for technicians. There are many wrongs out there against students and I had to make a change for us. Please consider www.sterilesolutions.org for your IV training needs. If you need any help or have questions about anything feel free to shoot me an email. The more knowledge you have the better decision you can make.
take care.
christie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

justice in Dallas, Texas

74 months ago

Sorry for your disatisfaction with the program at richland college. I am not here to defend or accuse richland's pharmacy tech program; because I will earn nothing for doing so in either ways. All I am trying to do is to let those who want a less expensive program and also well structured. I am a graduate of the program and currently working in Allen at a hospital. I just don't know where I could have been working by now if it wasn't for this program. I know a couple of classmates who haven't found a job yet, and is been almost six months since we completed the program. However, there are some of us too who got a job right after we finished our Tech II program. So, I personally belief is a matter of luck and commitment. So, folks my advise to you is; if you want to do it just do it and don't wait for anyone's opinion or discouragements. I am actually going to major in pharmacy that's why I choose this tech program. I am much satisfy with the job than I expected. It is a great and rewarding field. And if I don't get a spot in a pharmacy school, I won't mind doing this for a while until I find me something suitable to replace the faded dream of becoming a pharmacist. NICE, CLEAN AND PROFESSIONAL WORK ENVIRONMENTS. ooops the pay is not that bad for a college student 14/hr without an experience, and would be making more if I get an experience and decides to do it for a while. I feel very lucky. lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Christine in Dallas

74 months ago

Justice in Dallas,

Can I contact you outside the forum to ask specific questions about the Institutional Program at Richland? If so, you can reach me at ckworkingathome@aol.com.

Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Justice,

How great for you! Congratulations on completing your program. It is good to hear good news about it. You are one of the lucky ones that has had a good experience. You are right it does take a lot of commitment on the part of the technician to start, finish and maintain. Good luck to you in pharmacy school!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

justice in Dallas, Texas

74 months ago

Christine in Dallas said: Justice in Dallas,

Can I contact you outside the forum to ask specific questions about the Institutional Program at Richland? If so, you can reach me at ckworkingathome@aol.com.

Thanks.

Yes, you can contact me at goooeric@yahoo.com I will be more than happy to help you with your questions, or if possible you can contact LEAN WEBSTER ON CAMPUS. SHE WILL HELP YOU MOST ABOUT ALL THE QUESTIONS YOU HAVE. I HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

claire in Chicago, Illinois

74 months ago

I am currently going to college to get my associates degree in science and then i plan on going to SIU to get my pharm D. I am 18 years old and I wanted to know if I could be a pharmacy technician right now and continue going to school to become a pharmacist.Im not sure where to begin...like do i need to get certified first or can i just apply at walgreens right now?

Joe Medina, CPhT in Denver, Colorado

74 months ago

I always sympathize with those who pay so much money and get little or no education. So, for less than 100 dollars maybe its time to look at Tech Lectures.

You can get a Review manual/workbook and FREE email support. What a novel idea!

The end result, you become certified with no huge debt of student loans to pay back.

A great way to learn solo, or simply as an additional support during your studies should you be in one of those schools that seem to not teach much of anything of value.

Joe Medina, CPhT
www.techlectures.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Josh in Houston, Texas

73 months ago

Does anybody know the different certification courses that pharmacy technicians can obtain? Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shelia in Houston, Texas

72 months ago

I am a Certified/Registered Pharmacy Technician, who is not I.V.Certified unfortunately my school program did not offer it @ that time, so if there is someone out there with some helpful information where I can inquire about a 40-hour Accredited I.V.Certification Course in the Houston, Area....PLEASE REPLY.... THANKS!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

I teach an IV Course in San Antonio.
This course is supplemented online and is for registered pharmacy technicians. We offer it through the University of Houston and it is an accredited ACPE course which will be important for hospitals or compounding pharmacies to know as it is what is recognized as a standard in the United States.

Students can start the class at anytime. We enroll continuously. It depends on you the student how long it takes to complete the online portion. Some finish in a month or two. We give you a total of 3 months to complete.

When a student is completed with the online portion of the program he or she must schedule 2 live practice and evaluation days (the 16 hours). Students will be practicing technique, evaluated and given a written test.

During the evaluation days, one day will include going over parts of the textbook, including math calculations, USP 797, Process Validation Demonstrations and preparing for the written final. The second day will include Process Validations you complete and the written final which is 50 questions.

If this sounds like something you would be interested in email me at sterile.solutions@yahoo.com and I will send you more information.

Christie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

big6 in Houston, Texas

72 months ago

Shelia in Houston, Texas said: I am a Certified/Registered Pharmacy Technician, who is not I.V.Certified unfortunately my school program did not offer it @ that time, so if there is someone out there with some helpful information where I can inquire about a 40-hour Accredited I.V.Certification Course in the Houston, Area....PLEASE REPLY.... THANKS!!!!

I am looking for same info did you find anywhere ? I think UofH may have a course but its like 500 dollars. Please email me if you have found a place, all i needs is to be iv certified trying to get job at hospital. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sondra in Sugar Land, Texas

72 months ago

Are classes or school necessary to become a pt or can you buy books and then take a test to become certified? I can't seem to find out how to start learning how to become one. Can someone HELP? Also, are math calculations an integral part of the job? Also, most importantly is age a huge drawback?

secret in Clovis, California

72 months ago

BF in Lake Jackson, Texas said: I see alot of comments on this board recommending IV Certification. How do you go about doing that? Thanks.

Hi Sondra,
I am a nurse and with IV certification. Just check with you local hospital if they have education dept and if not someone there can offer you information on where the classes are. If you google "IV certification and add your location you will find many listings. i am a healthcare recruiters also and place nurses, managers, directors nationwide.

Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nellrx in Mission, Texas

71 months ago

big6 in Houston, Texas said: I am looking for same info did you find anywhere ? I think UofH may have a course but its like 500 dollars. Please email me if you have found a place, all i needs is to be iv certified trying to get job at hospital. Thanks

for IV Certification in Houston please go to www.parmacytechnician.org , they offer it and also Compounding certification.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hemant in Burlington, Massachusetts

70 months ago

nellrx in Mission, Texas said: for IV Certification in Houston please go to www.parmacytechnician.org , they offer it and also Compounding certification.

Taxax has one community collage and one big collage which gives you this certification.
I donot know the name .But it is true.

lmoore420

70 months ago

I am enrolling in a pharmacy tech program right now but somebody told me they had alot of luck with online pharmacy tech programs. Has anybody gotten their degree with an online pharmacy tech program and was it easy or hard?
Lindsay

nellrx55 in Edinburg, Texas

70 months ago

lmoore420 said: I am enrolling in a pharmacy tech program right now but somebody told me they had alot of luck with online pharmacy tech programs. Has anybody gotten their degree with an online pharmacy tech program and was it easy or hard?
Lindsay

Online Pharmacy Technician and regular school are just the same as long as the schol is accredited and you pass the Certification Exam. Some schools are giving the IV Certification as a separate course for the Technician to work in Hospitals mixing IV. The regular courses in schools for Pharmacy technician is usually enough to work in a retail Pharmacy. Hope this answers your question.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

kristy in Midland, Texas

70 months ago

BF in Lake Jackson, Texas said: I see alot of comments on this board recommending IV Certification. How do you go about doing that? Thanks.

PCCA in Houston, TX. That is where I went. Awesome 3 day course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

christie in Atlanta, Georgia

70 months ago

check out sterilesolutions.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

nellrx55 in Edinburg, Texas

70 months ago

Also, if you are close to Houston Texas, check out also the web site of National Pharmacy Technician Associaton in Houston Texas. They offer IV Certification and Compounding also. It is a home school but you have to go to Houston for 2 days for Hands On Training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

joseph in Lawrenceville, Georgia

70 months ago

Dony in Canton, Michigan said: Based on this I think that soon will have the chance to become IV certified:

The Pharmacy Technician Certification Board is considering offering a new certification program in IV admixture as well as continuous testing
Dec 11, 2007
Drug Topics Daily News

Certified technicians who want to move up the career ladder may have a new option open to them in the future. The Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) is considering setting up a certification program in IV admixture, now that the U.S. Pharmacopeia has finalized its Chapter 797 clean room standards. That's one thing Melissa Murer Corrigan, CEO of PTCB, revealed at the ASHP midyear meeting in Las Vegas last week. Another plan PTCB is mulling is to offer continuous certification testing, rather than holding tests only on certain days, she added. This will offer technicians greater convenience in taking the test.

when will pharmacy technician
pay increase?

dttmnguyen in Houston, Texas

70 months ago

nellrx in Mission, Texas said: look for National Pharmacy Technician Association on the web and you will see that they offer IV Certification.

for $500!

big6 in Minneapolis, Minnesota

69 months ago

What does PCCA stand for ? Do they have a web site ?

dttmnguyen in Houston, Texas

69 months ago

big6 in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: What does PCCA stand for ? Do they have a web site ?

it stands for Professional Compounding Centers of America. If interested in taking the course, google the NPTA's web page.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mark in Wilton, Connecticut

69 months ago

Does any school offer IV certification in New England?

eechenier@aol.com in Missouri City, Texas

69 months ago

There is a program offered by Intervenous Certification Specialist in Houston, Tx
for $300

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

admirer of your sister in Westborough, Massachusetts

69 months ago

Mark in Wilton, Connecticut said: Does any school offer IV certification in New England?

Hey Mark in Wilton- I would listen to you sister she has spent more time talking to people about this in the last 8 mos then you will spend in one year- she has been on everyone on the websites mentioned on this blog and spoke to everyone at all the schools about it. If you sister could get IV certified - she would start a Boaton based school and teach it herself and she would have a great business. She is so smart!!!!!!!!!!!

Cindy Bennett in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

69 months ago

What is the salary for IV technician? Studying now to become certified as a pharmacist technician, but my goal is to be an IV technician in a hospital.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy in SoCal

69 months ago

I am enrolled in school to become a pharm tech. When you become a certified pharmacy technician doesnt that include you being iv certified? or is that something you can also get on the side? I want to work in a hospital and I want to specialize in IV's but i dont know if i need to get an additional certificate for IV in order to work in that field.

Also does anyone know where i can get the certificate for cheap and fast?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

big6 in Houston, Texas

69 months ago

I made the mistake of not completing the class and getting that IV part. I live in Houston and the only class i'm aware of so far is at University Of Houston offers a weekend ALL DAY clas for about 500 dollars. Thats what i plan on doin soon. I also want to get a job in the hospital.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sofia in San Antonio, Texas

69 months ago

Check out sterilesolutions.org It might be something you can do also.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Katie in Grand Prairie, Texas

68 months ago

THE original North Texas IV certification course is offered through TRINU Healthcare. After the law was passed which required the IV training, they offered the course at Richland College. However, about seven years ago they moved the location to UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. Their course is about $500 and it's held over a weekend. I recommend their course very highly. $817 265 $7524.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DShah

67 months ago

DO you know how much does IV tech makes per hr?

Currently I am working on geeting my Pharmcy Tech/IV Tech Certification.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (74) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.