Could a person become a pharmacy tech just by taking the test and passing?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (25)

Jealous Guy in Edinburg, Texas

44 months ago

What I mean is that, if I take the test and pass it, would I be able to get hired as a pharmacy tech, without any prior training, or schooling?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (305) / No (61) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Lady Lake, Florida

43 months ago

Bree said: I am sorry to rain on anyone's parade, but PLEASE check with your local state laws FIRST before taking advice from people. Some states do require you to take a training program, like Florida. If the program you take is not approved, you can not get registered/licensed. Sometimes, not being licensed/registered will stop you from becoming certified. So please, do your own research with your local state board before taking advice. Thanks.

From what this says tinyurl.com/4lrz9l8 it looks as though even in Florida you can obtain certification and be fine?

"Meet the education requirements. The Florida Board of Pharmacy has established three options for satisfying the education requirements. Complete a Board-accredited pharmacy technician training program. Acquire 1,500 hours of work experience under the supervision of a licensed pharmacist. Obtain your pharmacy tech certification from an organization approved by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA), such as the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB)."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Bree in Willowbrook, Illinois

43 months ago

zendancer in Sarasota, Florida said: Mike is correct: I never spent a dime on a training program, and I was able to register in Florida. My employer vouched for the 1500 hour requirement (and I became certified not that long after, so either of those would've worked.) So maybe do your own research a little more carefully. ;)

Please take a look at this website (FL board of pharmacy): www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/pharmacy/

Here is a quote for those who want updated information:
"Effective January 1, 2011, any person who wishes to work as a pharmacy technician in the State of Florida must register with the Board of Pharmacy. To register with the Board of Pharmacy, an applicant must submit the following items:
1.Pharmacy Technician Registration Application
2.$105.00 Fee ($50.00 non-refundable application fee, $50.00 registration fee, $5.00 unlicensed application fee)
3.Proof of completion of a board-approved pharmacy technician-training program.

For people in other states, please visit the NHA website for detailed state by state requirements for pharmacy technicians at: www.nhanow.com/pharmacy-technician/requirements.aspx
This link includes certification, training, license/registration and continuing education requirements.

I have already spoken to technicians in Florida that are running into the issue of not being able to get registered because they didn't take a "board approved" program. Be careful everyone and stay updated. January 2011 just passed and not many people are aware of this new rule, as you can see. If you are starting fresh, please make sure you do it right. Thanks everyone!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

brittany

25 months ago

HELLO EVERYONE , I APPLIED FOR WALGREENS IN MEMPHIS TN, AN GOT CALLED BY THE PHARMACY MANAGER...SO FOR THE ONES THAT THINK U HAVE TATO GO TO SCHOOL,U REALLY DONT.TRY TO GET EXPERIENCE FROM WALGREENS,CVS PHARMACY, FREDS OR RITE AID. THOSE PLACES GIVE YOU HANDS ON TRAINING AN THE PHARMACIST GET TO CHOOSE WHO HE OR SHE WANTS TO GO TO CLASS TO GET CERTIFIED

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

cbob in Humble, Texas

22 months ago

carol in selinsgrove,pa in Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania said: You don't have to go to school to be a pharmacy tech. Working in retail is the best place to start and hopefully you have a good pharmacist to teach and work with you like i did. Then move on to hospital and train there so you are more marketable as a true pharmacy tech. i have been a pharmacy tech for the last 25 years and that plan worked best for me. I also teach pharmacy tech classes now and i enjoy helping other people due what i do and love .
i was wondering wear can i find the books to study for the pharmacy tech. found so many on line dont know which one to order. thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Cpht. in Worcester, Massachusetts

21 months ago

Jealous Guy in Edinburg, Texas said: What I mean is that, if I take the test and pass it, would I be able to get hired as a pharmacy tech, without any prior training, or schooling?

Yes, you can. You don't need to go to some expensive course on pharm tech. An online class works great. I took a cheap $50 class and then signed myself up for the certification... passed with flying colors. My friend set me up with this woman that does online classes, jamieegermana@yahoo.com. Shoot her an email.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Cpht. in Worcester, Massachusetts

21 months ago

cbob in Humble, Texas said: i was wondering wear can i find the books to study for the pharmacy tech. found so many on line dont know which one to order. thank you

There is a site with THE PHARMACIST TECHNICIAN 4ED online for free. I forgot the link, but if you email jamieegermana@yahoo.com, she can send it to you. She also has a link to a power-point with all of the workbook questions and answers.She runs a study course/ class for people looking to get pharm tech certified.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

cbob in Humble, Texas

20 months ago

thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

sweeneytoad in Austin, Texas

20 months ago

Yes, check with your state. Texas is moving towards requiring an ASHP accredited program before they will license techs, I believe within the next couple years. So don't just take people's word for it, do the research so you don't find yourself unable to get a job.

Also very important to check with employers - even if the state doesn't require certification, many employers do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Medina in Denver, Colorado

18 months ago

Looking for a national award winning Review manual and over 500 multiple choice questions similar in format and SPECIFIC to the national exam for an affordable price?

www.tlectures.com/reviewpacket.html

Has helped thousands of Techs pass the Pharmacy Technician National Exam!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

BanathAllah in Memphis, Tennessee

17 months ago

Cpht. in Worcester, Massachusetts said: There is a site with THE PHARMACIST TECHNICIAN 4ED online for free. I forgot the link, but if you email jamieegermana@yahoo.com, she can send it to you. She also has a link to a power-point with all of the workbook questions and answers.She runs a study course/ class for people looking to get pharm tech certified.

Here is the link to: THE PHARMACIST TECHNICIAN 4ED
longfiles.com/eqlgdsp48r9f/The_Pharmacy_Technician.pdf.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Debbie in Doniphan, Missouri

17 months ago

I would like to know how to go about getting registered for a pharmacy technician in the state of Florida, I have not went to special training classes only on the job for 30 years. I am certified in Missouri but want to move to Florida. Is there anyone out there that can tell me how to go about it. Can my current employer sign something saying I have completed the hours required. I do not want to have to go there and be jobless for months while taking training. Please let me know the correct steps to take to get this show on the road. Thank you in advance for your help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mickie in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

15 months ago

Bree in Willowbrook, Illinois said: I am sorry to rain on anyone's parade, but PLEASE check with your local state laws FIRST before taking advice from people. Some states do require you to take a training program, like Florida. If the program you take is not approved, you can not get registered/licensed. Sometimes, not being licensed/registered will stop you from becoming certified. So please, do your own research with your local state board before taking advice. Thanks.

I received on the job training at my local hospital, took the test back in 2000 got certified.
Florida State Decided oh now the State of Florida has to also grant you a certificate of
being a licensed pharm tech. All you have to do is provide the school that you gained your
certificate from. In my case since it was OJT my license of 12 years was now obsolete.
So thanks alot....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

britt.egans in Florissant, Missouri

15 months ago

Kirsten257 in Kansas City, Missouri said: You do NOT have to go to school to become certified. I've been a technician for 20yrs and certified for the last 12 years. From what I understand, the schooling is a complete waste of time and money and it's better to start out at a retail pharmacy as a clerk and receive on the job training.

How are you suppose to get a job in retail pharmacy if some places want experience or tech license?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ben Clifford in Seattle, Washington

14 months ago

Jealous Guy,

You really have to check your state pharmacy board requirements just to be sure, some states like Arizona will require both Certfication and a License... You're from Texas right? You also need Certification and a License from the board.

Check this page >> www.pharmacytraining.org/pharmacy-technician-certification/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

caligirl1173 in Richmond, Virginia

12 months ago

How do you become a pharmacy tech in the state of Virginia or is it easier in the state of California because of VA being a commonwealth?Is there a background check involved in any of the procedures?Im curious because I know someone with a felony that is trying to get their life back on track this way and are already going to school for it but I think and have said it will be useless in the commonwealth state!

momoulden in Hemet, California

11 months ago

Hello, I had my certificate of
being a licensed pharm tech in the state of California and worked with it. However it expired in 2007 due to starting a family. I never renewed it. Do I have to go back to school and start all over again?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

barbarasw in Fort Myers, Florida

10 months ago

To become a pharmacy technician you should really go to a qualified school. Also, it is really VITAL to make sure that the school is board recognized by your state! In florida, a new school is opening called PharmTec and it's available on campus or online. They're licensed and their classes are taught by pharmacists, so you know you're learning the real material you need to know. If you want to check it out go to www.pharmtecschool.com. Pharmacy technician school is a great opportunity!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

boingtwist in San Jose, California

7 months ago

Jealous Guy in Edinburg, Texas said: What I mean is that, if I take the test and pass it, would I be able to get hired as a pharmacy tech, without any prior training, or schooling?

In the state of California, Yes!!!

boingtwist in San Jose, California

7 months ago

momoulden in Hemet, California said: Hello, I had my certificate of
being a licensed pharm tech in the state of California and worked with it. However it expired in 2007 due to starting a family. I never renewed it. Do I have to go back to school and start all over again?

If you went to "Pharmacy Technician" school, No, you do not need to start all over. You need to re-submit an application to the California State Board of Pharmacy with all the necessary paperwork, etc. Same goes for becoming a Pharmacy Technician by taking the PTCP exam. If you were "Grandfathered" in to being a Pharmacy Technician and your license expired and was not renewed in the 90 day window, unfortunately, Yes, you do need to start all over ;( The above info applies in California!

Monique in Richmond, Virginia

7 months ago

brittany said: HELLO EVERYONE , I APPLIED FOR WALGREENS IN MEMPHIS TN, AN GOT CALLED BY THE PHARMACY MANAGER...SO FOR THE ONES THAT THINK U HAVE TATO GO TO SCHOOL,U REALLY DONT.TRY TO GET EXPERIENCE FROM WALGREENS, CVS PHARMACY, FREDS OR RITE AID. THOSE PLACES GIVE YOU HANDS ON TRAINING AN THE PHARMACIST GET TO CHOOSE WHO HE OR SHE WANTS TO GO TO CLASS TO GET CERTIFIED

Unless they choose to stick you on the register because you're incapable of doing anything else. Seen that too many times.

Monique in Richmond, Virginia

7 months ago

I took a program at an online prep site - www.RxTechExam.com

They have a program that I finished in 3 weeks from home. It's so easy. Only paid $180 because i had a coupon code from retailmenot.com

Preston in Richmond, Virginia

7 months ago

caligirl1173 in Richmond, Virginia said: How do you become a pharmacy tech in the state of Virginia or is it easier in the state of California because of VA being a commonwealth?Is there a background check involved in any of the procedures?Im curious because I know someone with a felony that is trying to get their life back on track this way and are already going to school for it but I think and have said it will be useless in the commonwealth state!

visit www.rxtechexam.com/pages.php?pageid=8 and select Virginia, it'll take you to the Pharmacy Technician section of Virginia State Board of Pharmacy Website.

xanadu in Florida in Texas

7 months ago

I was a technician for fourteen years for Walgreens in Illinois when I moved to Florida two years ago I was told by the pharmacy board I just needed a statement that I worked under a licensed pharmacist for fifteen hundred hours. When I got that and sent it in with my money they said it wasn't approved training and only got back half of my fee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

danielle in Memphis, Tennessee

8 days ago

brittany said: HELLO EVERYONE , I APPLIED FOR WALGREENS IN MEMPHIS TN, AN GOT CALLED BY THE PHARMACY MANAGER...SO FOR THE ONES THAT THINK U HAVE TATO GO TO SCHOOL,U REALLY DONT.TRY TO GET EXPERIENCE FROM WALGREENS, CVS PHARMACY, FREDS OR RITE AID. THOSE PLACES GIVE YOU HANDS ON TRAINING AN THE PHARMACIST GET TO CHOOSE WHO HE OR SHE WANTS TO GO TO CLASS TO GET CERTIFIED

Hey I recently tried to apply for the one at Walgreen's but on the appt it asked me for my certificate number.. im not a pharmacy technician but I wanted to train to become one can you help me

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.