CVS Dress code? Pay and other

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (40)

Michelle in Naples, Florida

33 months ago

I have read these comments stating no experience, do you mean that you attended a program and this is a first job? Or you are being hired in as a "tech" off the street and are receiving on the job training? I guess what I'm trying to find out is do you have to go through formal training as a pharmacy technician to work for CVS?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (53) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Tina in the city in New York, New York

33 months ago

Michelle in Naples, Florida said: I have read these comments stating no experience, do you mean that you attended a program and this is a first job? Or you are being hired in as a "tech" off the street and are receiving on the job training? I guess what I'm trying to find out is do you have to go through formal training as a pharmacy technician to work for CVS?

You have read my mind, was wondering the same. No one is mentioning if they went to school for this. I see lots of schools for this training. I doubt they hire off the street to work around controlled substances, without formal training? Could someone who works for CVS or any drugstore clarify this for us?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Tim in Tahlequah, Oklahoma

32 months ago

Depends on which state you reside in...In Texas you have to be nationally certified (PTCB-CPhT) before you can request a license from the state board of pharmacy. All pharmacies (retail and hospital) can only hire state licensed Pharmcay Techs per mandate...Not so in Oklahoma...All one need do in Oklahoma to obtain a state license is be employed in a pharmacy and have the pharmacy manager sign off on your capabilities to perform the job. National certification doesn't mean squat here (but that may be changing soon)...Hope that helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

susan in Portland, Maine

30 months ago

I need to know if a person could wear a winter coat while working at the cash register at CVS, or at a pharmacy in general. This is all I want to know.

Thanks.

Susan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Frank in Hayward, California

30 months ago

If you work in pharmacy for CVS you will wear a white jacket no matter what your position is. If you're cold, wear a long sleeve shirt under the jacket. Front store employees wear blue CVS shirt and I see some have CVS long sleeve blue jacket. I do not know if the jackets are given to employees for free or not. Knowing CVS and how tight they are with money and their employees, they probably charge for the jackets.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

BrianW in Farmingville, New York

29 months ago

Pay & amount of hours you get depends on your stores location, the manager, and district managers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

l_palmer07@yahoo.com in Dallas, Texas

28 months ago

Michelle in Naples, Florida said: I have read these comments stating no experience, do you mean that you attended a program and this is a first job? Or you are being hired in as a "tech" off the street and are receiving on the job training? I guess what I'm trying to find out is do you have to go through formal training as a pharmacy technician to work for CVS ?

No you do not have to go through a formal training to work at CVS because they do train you. There are different online modules you have to take as well as on the job training which you all get paid for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

anonomous in Kingston, Massachusetts

25 months ago

kirstie in Charlottesville, Virginia said: wow, you make more than i do... i'm certified, and have been working there for 2 years.

I'm only getting $9.50 being non certified and for part-time. I wonder how much more you can make being certified? After 1500 hours only.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

anon in Reston, Virginia

22 months ago

I've worked for CVS for 7 years. I came in from another retail chain nationally certified and went full time straight into the pharmacy at $10/hr. I make $12.30 after 7 years. I personally know others who start out making several dollars more at other companies being just state certified OR not certified at all! The pay at CVS is not competetive, nor has it been during any time that I've worked there.
Dress code for men is khakis/black pants, business shirt with tie and white lab jacket.
Women may wear pants, as long as they aren't sweatpants/workout/jeans. No shorts are allowed. Skirts and dresses are fine as long as they are knee-length or below and not revealing. No open-toed shoes are allowed. I've worn scrubs, as long as they were solid tops, along with my clogs. A white lab coat always has to be worn. Women can wear tennis shoes, clogs, basically...shoes that are closed-toed. Just make sure they're comfy! Standing for 8 hours in the pharmacy is harder than it seems. You get used to it, but need good shoes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

hz in Miami, Florida

22 months ago

Tina in the city in New York, New York said: You have read my mind, was wondering the same. No one is mentioning if they went to school for this. I see lots of schools for this training. I doubt they hire off the street to work around controlled substances, without formal training? Could someone who works for CVS or any drugstore clarify this for us?

actually i personally called them and asked but I am actually studying for pharmacy and Im about to finish my first semester they said i could start working hope that kindof helped

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

hokie196 in Glen Allen, Virginia

21 months ago

Nicole in Nashville, Tennessee said: I was hired right off the street with absolutely no training or knowledge of pharmacy. You mostly get on the job training.

How exactly did you get the job? Did you just walk in and ask to speak to the Pharmacist?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

LadyK in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

21 months ago

hokie196 in Glen Allen, Virginia said: How exactly did you get the job? Did you just walk in and ask to speak to the Pharmacist?

I applied online. I have no experience and I am not certified.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

krjensen1 in Goshen, Indiana

21 months ago

Some places don't allow you to have acrylic nails on the job. I just want to know if I can still have my nails done while working there. Any idea?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

CeCe in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

20 months ago

I just recently got hired on as a tech and I'm a little nervous about starting out and even debating if I still want the job. I have no prior experience and want to learn more about the field, but I was told I would be starting out at 8/hr. and its only part time. I have bills to pay and I was willing to deal with the pay, with the hopes of a raise after a certain amount of time, but after reading certain forms about the company I'm really questioning it. Now I know of course every location may not be the same, but can someone tell me if it's really as bad as people are saying it is?!? I currently have a full time job that's paying more than that and I was really planning on quitting the place because I hate it, but I'm not sure if it's even worth it. Of course I don't plan on making a career at CVS, but at least to get the experience. Any suggestions??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

anon in Alexandria, Virginia

20 months ago

CeCe in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I just recently got hired on as a tech and I'm a little nervous about starting out and even debating if I still want the job. I have no prior experience and want to learn more about the field, but I was told I would be starting out at 8/hr. and its only part time. I have bills to pay and I was willing to deal with the pay, with the hopes of a raise after a certain amount of time, but after reading certain forms about the company I'm really questioning it. Now I know of course every location may not be the same, but can someone tell me if it's really as bad as people are saying it is?!? I currently have a full time job that's paying more than that and I was really planning on quitting the place because I hate it, but I'm not sure if it's even worth it. Of course I don't plan on making a career at CVS, but at least to get the experience. Any suggestions??

I wouldn't even touch it then if I were you. CVS does NOT value its employees, and the pay is horrible. Look to gain experience elsewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

anon in Reston, Virginia

16 months ago

krjensen1 in Goshen, Indiana said: Some places don't allow you to have acrylic nails on the job. I just want to know if I can still have my nails done while working there. Any idea?

I have acrylic nails and have for years. Nothing has ever been said to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

anon in Reston, Virginia

16 months ago

yolo84 in Richmond, Virginia said: I have been working at CVS for 2yrs and leaving this month. They started me off with 10.00 fultime with no experience but was state license. The customer are very rude and they don't care about the employees. I always work nights and weekends. I always was at the cashr register but I had took a course at college so I had formal training but it took forever fr them to let me do anything because they had their favorites. After 6 months I went or time then to two days a week. I was offered a ft benefits, 8-5, no holidays,weekend or nights. In a,clinical setting at 12.50. Retail sucks!!!!

You've got that right! Retail sucks and CVS sucks. Too bad I need the job.

liz in Austin, Texas

15 months ago

NICKI in Gardner, Massachusetts said: I JUST GOT HIRED FOR CVS AS A TECH AND THEY ARE GIVING ME 10.50 AN HR NO EXPERIENCE AND AS PART TIME. I HOPE I WILL GET MORE THAN 2 OR 4 HRS A WEEK MAYBE AT LEAST 20 HRS OR SO I MEAN I NEED TO PAY BILLS AND STUFF U KNOW AND KIDS TO SUPPORT. THEY HIRE ME AS PART TIME AND THEY SAY IF I GET WHAT IM DOING THEY ARE WILLING TO GIVE ME MORE HRS. IF I DIDN'T HAVE A FAMILY I PROBABLY WOULDN'T CARE IF I'M FULL TIME BUT I DO AND NEED THE MONEY.

How did it go? how many hours did they started you off?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

DjChip in Pittsburg, California

14 months ago

i got hired a couple weeks ago , starting at 14.50/hr no experience , i got hired as part time but im working 5 days a week and i almost always get called in to work since someone never shows up. customers are really rude and sometimes the pharmacist doesn't do its job but i need the experience, don't want to let my license go to waist. at least stick with them for a bit so i can get sponsored for the PTCB .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mjac1985 in New Baltimore, Michigan

14 months ago

How far back does cvs back ground check go?

abdalahman in Canal Winchester, Ohio

13 months ago

Do you have to work after pharmacy hours as a pharmacy technician? For how long and doing what?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

yolo84 in Richmond, Virginia

13 months ago

abdalahman in Canal Winchester, Ohio said: Do you have to work after pharmacy hours as a pharmacy technician? For how long and doing what?

I haven't work after hours before because most pharmacist dont want to stay any later then they have to

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NC_Pharm_Tech in Charlotte, North Carolina

12 months ago

I got hired in March, work ~20hrs/wk. and make $9/hr. and I'm beginning to think I should have negotiated more.
I'm licensed with the NCBOP and PTCB.

Males at CVS have to wear ties.
Females are basically business casual.

djchip in Pittsburg, California

12 months ago

NC_Pharm_Tech in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I got hired in March, work ~20hrs/wk. and make $9/hr. and I'm beginning to think I should have negotiated more.
I'm licensed with the NCBOP and PTCB.

Males at CVS have to wear ties.
Females are basically business casual.

yea it sucks, today was the first day i went with a polo shirt instead of a dress shirt and tie since on the way there i got coffee all over it , luckily the pharmacist is chilled and she let it slide, and yea try negotiating for more if possible, you never know until you try

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

12 months ago

djchip in Pittsburg, California said: yea it sucks, today was the first day i went with a polo shirt instead of a dress shirt and tie since on the way there i got coffee all over it , luckily the pharmacist is chilled and she let it slide, and yea try negotiating for more if possible, you never know until you try

I'm wondering if some stores pay more depending location?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

12 months ago

NC_Pharm_Tech in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I'm wondering if some stores pay more depending location?

(depending ON location)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ginny in Holden, Massachusetts

11 months ago

I was thinking of applying but one employee told me the pay was not good. It is less than what I am making at my part time job. When I went recently to pick up a prescription the order was done wrong and I had to wait for it to be redone. I had to tell them the error was their fault. I usually get a 90-day supply because of insurance. The employee somehow did not fill it with 90 pills. I asked if they didn't have enough to fill the order. Normally they get the order right.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ginny in Holden, Massachusetts

11 months ago

Ginny in Holden, Massachusetts said: I was thinking of applying but one employee told me the pay was not good. It is less than what I am making at my part time job. When I went recently to pick up a prescription the order was done wrong and I had to wait for it to be redone. I had to tell them the error was their fault. I usually get a 90-day supply because of insurance. The employee somehow did not fill it with 90 pills. I asked if they didn't have enough to fill the order. Normally they get the order right.

I am not in Holden and do not know how to change it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

NinaSapientia in Bellmawr, New Jersey

10 months ago

cvs grunt in Ligonier, Indiana said: Normally dress code is business casual.. professional. Definitely don't wear jeans or flip flops or things of that nature. Pay depends on store/location.. Some hire in minimum wage but if you have no experience then it will be lower than what experienced make. The hours would depend if you are hired in full time or part time. Full time is guaranteed 30 hours weekly with medical/ dental /rx benefits. Part time you are only guaranteed 2 hours a month. Most hire in to get experience but if you decide to stay I would recommend getting nationally certified, you get paid more and it will open up more stable, higher paying jobs than not being certified.

If you are hired I understand you get trained on the job, does that mean that CVS certifies you too? Do they run your through their program and get you certified from working with them?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jake Long in Atlanta, Georgia

10 months ago

I'm registered with that state but do NOT own a national PTCB certificate. I make $8.75 an hour and work ~30 hours a week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bradwhitty in Gilbert, Arizona

10 months ago

I have been working at cvs since may of this year and I got hired on at 10.30 an hour. Their pay is not competitive AT ALL. I am certified and registered with my state board of pharmacy. I got hired with only volunteer experience because they do train you on the job. I would suggest getting certified before anything. CVS does pay for your PTCB exam once you have been there for 3 months. Hours depends on needs of business. I was hired on full time and 40 hours a week. I have learned a lot of about pharmacy I can say though. Get used to impatient customers being rude and demanding their scripts be filled in 10 minutes when it's literally IMPOSSIBLE. I am using cvs only to gain the experience then IM OUT. any questions feel free to email me :)

Dress code is business for guys we have to wear khakis tie and dress shirt. Don't even bother trying to get a raise either cause the upper management only cares about themselves. You are only a number to them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RD in Rocklin, California

10 months ago

After submitting the application online, those of you that got hired, after how long did you guys receive a call for an interview? Did you guys contact CVS Pharmacy after applying or they just called you guys in for an interview? I really want to work here for about year so that I can gain experience, and can get into a hospital. I want to be a pharmacist in the future. Please give me some pointers so I have better chances of getting in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LMcGrail in Framingham, Massachusetts

8 months ago

RD in Rocklin, California said: After submitting the application online, those of you that got hired, after how long did you guys receive a call for an interview? Did you guys contact CVS Pharmacy after applying or they just called you guys in for an interview? I really want to work here for about year so that I can gain experience, and can get into a hospital . I want to be a pharmacist in the future. Please give me some pointers so I have better chances of getting in.

Introducing yourself shows your a go-getter and likely will increase your chances of an interview. I applied to 2 CVS pharmacies this past November, went in an introduced myself to both of the stores pharmacist and manager. Only one got back to me immediately to set up an interview the next week. I have accepted the job offer as of 2 weeks ago but am still waiting on my official training start date due to the extensive drug and background check. - Definitely go in and demonstrate the potential and customer service that you have to offer to the store.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

avillafana in Oxnard, California

8 months ago

RD in Rocklin, California said: After submitting the application online, those of you that got hired, after how long did you guys receive a call for an interview? Did you guys contact CVS Pharmacy after applying or they just called you guys in for an interview? I really want to work here for about year so that I can gain experience, and can get into a hospital . I want to be a pharmacist in the future. Please give me some pointers so I have better chances of getting in.

I applied in December 2013 and just got called today for an interview. So about a month. I didnt call them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kekka in Dayton, Texas

7 months ago

They can hire you to be a Pharmacy Cashier to start off with out any prior experience. You have to register with the state board and receive your Tech in Training license and you have about 2 years to study on your own (Many techs do this, as there are many great books out there to review for taking your cert test.)
On the job training is very helpful as well. You can take Tech classes too, but again, there are many books out there that will help you ace the test the first time. IF YOU ARE DEDICATED.

7 months ago

I finished my class in December '12, and I think I applied almost immediately, then got certified in January, and was hired in March '13.
I think what worked in my favor is my store is very VERY busy...and possibly there were some people who left that their positions needed filling.

abrams92 in Queensbury, New York

6 months ago

I did the online application and got a call the next day.

jyoung05 in Knightdale, North Carolina

4 months ago

Michelle in Naples, Florida said: I have read these comments stating no experience, do you mean that you attended a program and this is a first job? Or you are being hired in as a "tech" off the street and are receiving on the job training? I guess what I'm trying to find out is do you have to go through formal training as a pharmacy technician to work for CVS ?

Yes cvs will train the technicians at least thats what I was told.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bun in Ferrum, Virginia

3 months ago

How extensive are the drugs tests they do? I used to be a daily marijuana user but will be be 2-3 months clean when I plan on applying. Will this prevent me from being hired as a tech trainee?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ptcbeasy in Watsonville, California

2 months ago

If you are struggling passing the PTCB exam or scared need that
extra assurance, you are not alone! I have been there! I'm happy
to help! I noticed many books out there make it harder than it needs to be! You don't need a tutor! You don't need to spend 10k for a school or 2k for one of those online schools. All you need is the right tools to pass the exam! I spent countless hours of hard sweat work to find the right tools that made it easy to understand. I passed the PTCB exam with flying colors on the first attempt!

Please email me at ptcbeasy@gmail.com
or visit www.ebay.com/usr/wavelightthesmiths

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.