Boston Reed Pharmcay Tech Class??

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 126)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

shza in manteca, California

69 months ago

Hi, i am deciding whether i should attend a Boston Reed Pharmacy Tech course, which is about a 7 month program, or Enroll in a regular vocational school in town thats been around for a while and the course is about 4 months. I was wondering if anybody has taken the Boston Reed Course or has any knowledge of it; Do you suggest taking the Boston Reed Course? or should i stick with A normal school In town? THanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (89) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

Bruce in San Francisco, California

69 months ago

Boston Reed is crap and has bad rep. They pump out techs so fast and their course is not very detailed. My best advice is to look into another occupation. I attended a 7 month program (NOT Boston Reed). My externship was over 4 months ago and I have yet to find a job. Too many techs, not enough jobs for them all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

jmt in Fairfield, California

68 months ago

Is Boston Reeds externship after the 7 month program is over or towards the end with in the 7 months?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

shza in Manteca, California

68 months ago

jmt in Fairfield, California said: Is Boston Reeds externship after the 7 month program is over or towards the end with in the 7 months?

The externship is towards the end of the program i believe

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Vanessa in Torrance, California

68 months ago

I finished my course at Boston Reed almost a year ago through a college nearby. I didn't know what to expect so I went there with an open mind. I took the course every saturday for 6 months and it would take mostly half of the day. Our instructor was a darling who shared our frustrations with our course materials and the lack of organization of Boston Reed as a whole even if it is a relatively new school that no one has heard about. Honestly, the classes felt like a huge waste of time. While our instructor was a sweet sweet lady, I could tell she was new to teaching. We would basically just spend half of our day with powerpoints, reading them aloud and just reiterating what's in the book. After a while, I stopped taking it seriously. It felt like we were playing school! Our instructor also seemed to grow tired of it and soon enough we would just go in there and she would give off hints where to read in the book.

Our book was a huge headache for us. It was complicated and so full of errors. It felt like reading through a medical dictionary. The author would just bomb you with these terms and expect you to understand them, NOT user friendly at all. I mean a whole parapgraph about modems, seriously?! Oh the complaints we had with this book! By the end of the course, everybody was just ready to burn the book. I saw it being sold on amazon and people are still buying it, and expensive to boot! The book is The Pharmacy Technician: A Comprehensive Approach by Jahangir Moini. STAY AWAY from this book!

Anyway, enough of my rant and back to what I was saying. We didn't even have proper classroom discussions. The discussions that we would have is the instructor talking to only one or two students engaged in some latest news about the pharmacy tech community while the others are just sitting there wishing to go home. Mind you, there were only 12 of us I think. A small class which is I think better. We'd get tests every week and they are very hard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Vanessa in Torrance, California

68 months ago

My comment got cut off. I think there's a word limit. Lol. I say too much. Anyway I'll try to keep it short and finish telling you my experience with Boston Reed.

The tests aren't done by the instructor and are done by Boston Reed. Its highly dependent on the book so you really have to read it word by word. It also gives you alot of trick questions that doesn't make sense. Before our teacher started giving us hints, almost all of us would fail the tests. It was THAT hard. Even the book had alot of errors, especially on the chapter questions which the instructor would let us answer and turn in the next day. There are soo many errors that Boston Reed issued a text book error sheet which I think is quite a couple of pages long. For the labs, well, there is no labs. If you mean lab, like hands on training. We had labs in terms of group activities and discussing how to handle angry patients or other scenarios. We would also be given sheets of math calculations. There were also activities where it just didn't make sense what they wanted to make us do. It was just very confusing and it felt like Boston Reed didn't know what direction they wanted to head to. I also think the teachers weren't given training as they too seemed lost. After you finish and graduate, you'll be placed in an externship site where you will work for 3 weeks without pay. Who wants to work without pay right? But the good thing about it is that you can go to a prestigious hospital and list it in your resume as an experience.

Boston Reed is bad in many ways but I met some people in the same career path that I am now taking and networking in this job isn't so bad. But all in all, I would say it will be better for you to study on your own, get licensed, take the PTCB Exam then go look for a job where they can offer you on the job training. This will save you both time and money. I paid 2 grand for Boston Reed and I feel its such a huge waste of money. So yeah, the verdict is: No to Boston Reed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Thanks for your in-depth reply Vanessa, i just have to ask you, So after graduating, did you find a job as a Pharmacy Tech? If so, how long was the process? Thanks again

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Vanessa in Long Beach, California

67 months ago

After I graduated, I wasn't really actively looking for a job at that time since I was still in school full time. They said that at least 80% of those who work at their externship sites stay there but I didn't and I think that none of my classmates stayed at their sites. Some of the classmates I still keep in touch with are still looking for a job even after they have passed the PTCB exam. So as far as I know, after you graduate from Boston Reed, you're pretty much on your own.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dimadi in San Jose, California

67 months ago

Hi anyone enrolled in Pharmacy Technician program in Mission Community college in
Santa Clara, California? Is the $5000 tuition worth it?

Stephen in San Francisco, California

67 months ago

Im currently attending boston reed and love it. However keep in mind if it wern't for our teacher it would probably be terrible... He has really opened our mind to how many jobs are out there, not just hospital and retail pharmacy's.

From my short time on this board, I can tell there are a lot of bitter people on this board. Probably a lot people who look on job boards all day, then come here and complain when no one calls them back. Then there are some who truly go out to look and still have no luck... Just remember looking for employment is a full time job.

My wife really got me intrigued in pharmacy.. She did ROP 2 years ago and has been working in a hospital making over $22/hour as a tech. You have to be willing to start at a walmart, wal greens or CVS part time even though the pay could be better, future employers or looking for experience.

Take everything on this board with a grain of salt. Most people expect to pass a class or take a test and expect to make $20/hour.. It would be nice if it worked like that...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Stephen in San Francisco, California said: Im currently attending boston reed and love it. However keep in mind if it wern't for our teacher it would probably be terrible... He has really opened our mind to how many jobs are out there, not just hospital and retail pharmacy's.

From my short time on this board, I can tell there are a lot of bitter people on this board. Probably a lot people who look on job boards all day, then come here and complain when no one calls them back. Then there are some who truly go out to look and still have no luck... Just remember looking for employment is a full time job.

My wife really got me intrigued in pharmacy.. She did ROP 2 years ago and has been working in a hospital making over $22/hour as a tech. You have to be willing to start at a walmart, wal greens or CVS part time even though the pay could be better, future employers or looking for experience.

Take everything on this board with a grain of salt. Most people expect to pass a class or take a test and expect to make $20/hour.. It would be nice if it worked like that...

Hey thx for the reply Stephen. Im also in Pharm tech class right now, about 3 weeks in. It would be cool to talk again about pharm tech as we both go through schooling

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Stephen in San Francisco, California

67 months ago

shza in Manteca, California said: Hey thx for the reply Stephen. Im also in Pharm tech class right now, about 3 weeks in. It would be cool to talk again about pharm tech as we both go through schooling

Feel free to contact me anytime, ssapodac@sbcglobal.net.. talk to you soon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MRS.T in Killeen, Texas

67 months ago

I am currently taking this class through CTC in killeen ,The program has been confusing from day one. I keep hoping that it will get better .I have wonder where they found the teachers who teach this course . I will continue on praying it gets better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Vivian in Torrance, California

67 months ago

Hi Vanessa, I'm currently at week 12 of the Boston Reed Pharm Tech class and I think that what you are saying is correct. All the people in class have trouble with those quiz as we don't know where is the point in the text book to reed. ANd we cannot remember every single word of that text book. Beside that it's difficult to find a place for externship. And the place accept me now also said that they already have a Pharm Tech. If you don't mind can I contact you to ask about the course. My email is vivianvu35@yahoo.com

Thanks
Vivian

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Kimberly in Manteca, California

66 months ago

I also just completed all of my course and externship from Boston Reed College, and am currently waiting for my certification. I agree with Vanessa, this course is EXTREMELY frustrating. I felt like I really didn't learn very much from the course, I am somewhat lucky because the past 3 years i had been working as a Veterinary Technician, and got a lot of hands on training with those doctors, one of them was actually a Pharmacist and a Veterinarian, so at least i kinda have that knowledge to fall back on, but I am somewhat scared of actually getting into the pharmacy to work as a technician just because i feel so unprepared. My final for the class was absolutely ridiculous, we were supposed to make a "fake" compounded medication, there was no proportion, no mathematics, and we used baby powder and some compound base to make it. Then we had to do an iv bag and inject medication into it, again there was no dosaging, no mathematics, we just drew up the medication and squirted it into the iv. I did alot of iv bags in veterinary and there is TONS of math that you need to do to figure out how much is needed according to the weight, age, of patient etc. It was crazy, my whole class passed, except for the ones who chose to drop out because of frustration. I do not reccomend Boston Reed College at all.

Kimberly

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Kimberly in Manteca, California said: I also just completed all of my course and externship from Boston Reed College, and am currently waiting for my certification. I agree with Vanessa, this course is EXTREMELY frustrating. I felt like I really didn't learn very much from the course, I am somewhat lucky because the past 3 years i had been working as a Veterinary Technician, and got a lot of hands on training with those doctors, one of them was actually a Pharmacist and a Veterinarian, so at least i kinda have that knowledge to fall back on, but I am somewhat scared of actually getting into the pharmacy to work as a technician just because i feel so unprepared. My final for the class was absolutely ridiculous, we were supposed to make a "fake" compounded medication, there was no proportion, no mathematics, and we used baby powder and some compound base to make it. Then we had to do an iv bag and inject medication into

Vivian in Torrance, California

66 months ago

Kimberly in Manteca, California said: I also just completed all of my course and externship from Boston Reed College, and am currently waiting for my certification. I agree with Vanessa, this course is EXTREMELY frustrating. I felt like I really didn't learn very much from the course, I am somewhat lucky because the past 3 years i had been working as a Veterinary Technician, and got a lot of hands on training with those doctors, one of them was actually a Pharmacist and a Veterinarian, so at least i kinda have that knowledge to fall back on, but I am somewhat scared of actually getting into the pharmacy to work as a technician just because i feel so unprepared. My final for the class was absolutely ridiculous, we were supposed to make a "fake" compounded medication, there was no proportion, no mathematics, and we used baby powder and some compound base to make it. Then we had to do an iv bag and inject medication into it, again there was no dosaging, no mathematics, we just drew up the medication and squirted it into the iv. I did alot of iv bags in veterinary and there is TONS of math that you need to do to figure out how much is needed according to the weight, age, of patient etc. It was crazy, my whole class passed, except for the ones who chose to drop out because of frustration. I do not reccomend Boston Reed College at all.

Kimberly

Dear Kimberly,
Can I contact you to ask about the course? my email is vivianvu35@yahoo.com. Thanks.

Vanessa in Norwalk, California

66 months ago

Yeah Vivian, you can contact me on my email: kflipzero@yahoo.com

reena in Fairfield, California

66 months ago

well, i am thinking of taking the phamacy tech class at boston reed in sept 09..after reading these posts, you all have me thinking...its kinda scary to see some of you have taken the class and havent gotten anywhere..is it the school, the teaching...or the course of study..does anyone suggest going to a different school, has ANYONE had a good experience with going to boston reed or a good outcome taking this course or any course for that matter...i must say, i do agree with stephen from sanfrancisco about haveing to start at walmart, walgreens, longs etc...to build up experience...although you would think that after graduating from any course, you would automatically start off making descent money...i guess sometimes it just doesnt turnout that way...:0(

TaiwanGirl in Newark, California

66 months ago

shza in manteca, California said: Hi, i am deciding whether i should attend a Boston Reed Pharmacy Tech course, which is about a 7 month program, or Enroll in a regular vocational school in town thats been around for a while and the course is about 4 months. I was wondering if anybody has taken the Boston Reed Course or has any knowledge of it; Do you suggest taking the Boston Reed Course? or should i stick with A normal school In town? THanks

I just finished my internship last week and took my PTCB yeasterday and PASSED! Yes, the text is difficult to wade through, but if you just use it as a reference book and focus on the CD in the back, that's where the knowledge comes from. And your internship teaches you a great deal of information as well. Boston Reed has been great to me! Whenever I needed something they did it right away and the people are wonderful to deal with. My instructor was experienced and guided us through the maze of the exams (by highlighting what pages the information that was on the test) and this helped a great deal with the tests. The tests helped me with my internship and helps you to focus on what you really need to know. YOU MUST BE GOOD IN MATH! Please, if math scares you this is not the profession for you. Having a professional and friendly persona also goes a long ways in your internship. There are many jobs out there but you must have your license in hand--at leat in California--and this currently takes about 60 business days. Boston Reed and Safeway get big thumbs up from me! I would highly recommend this program for anyone who is seriously contemplating a pharmacy program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ana in Carmichael, California

65 months ago

All I can say about Boston Reed is you get what you pay for. It's a cheap program with people who don't know how to teach, teaching it. Boston Reed actually representatives calling us about the third week asking us if the instructor let us out early. My teacher did not even know how to pronounce the words in the textbook. We also had to do word searches and matching in this class like we were in elementary school again. How can you take any class seriously. I do not recommend this program.

My recommendation for anyone who is looking at becoming a Pharmacy Technician is to study for the PTCB exam and take that and become licensed that way. You will actually learn something and it won't cost you nearly as much. There are some really great books and tools out there to learn from.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MrsT in Killeen, Texas

65 months ago

Well I have been in this class sine June 2. We are currently on our 5th teacher and I found an ad on Craigs List of all places looking for our replacement teacher, because the one we have, his last day is today. Every time we get a new teacher I feel like I am starting all over again, new teacher new teaching style. I have been feeling like I wasted my money but I am trying to struggle through, knowing that i will never work in this field because I have learned nothing.

Anna in Pomona, California

65 months ago

Oh my goodness, I'm supposed to start this course this Saturday and I'm feeling pretty queasy about it. I wanted to be excited!! Everybody has had varying experiences, but of course the negative ones stand out. Dang it, I wish I had looked at all this a long time ago. Thanks for everyone's feedback :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kaytee168 in Fremont, California

65 months ago

OMG, thank you very much. I almost registered Boston Reed in Milpita this morning. Luckily, the fact that, if any problem, students have no one to ask for help except online number (and that is even not 24/7), I double check its reputation by searching online and come across this forum. Thank you very very much for all comments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

coolwhip in Detroit, Michigan

65 months ago

Dimadi in San Jose, California said: Hi anyone enrolled in Pharmacy Technician program in Mission Community college in
Santa Clara, California? Is the $5000 tuition worth it?

No NO No try cvs foa a cshier job first they will train you and pay for the exam as a group . Anyone with a diploma can study for Pharmacy Technician exam take the test and pass and whola you're certified =Cpht. Save youself the hardache and money. If you can afford it and just don"t have that I can attiuded then you should take the long road.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mii in Livingston, California

64 months ago

YOU ALL DO KNOW THAT BOSTON REED IS NOT ACCREDITED, DON'T YOU? THAT COULD BE ONE REASON WHY THEY'RE SO REASONABLY PRICED.THESE CLASSES ARE TAUGHT AT ADULT SCHOOLS, AT LEAST IN CALIFORNIA THEY ARE. YOU CAN'T TRANSFER ANYTHING TO ANY OTHER INSTITUTION!!

I KNOW IN OAKLAND THE PT CLASS IS TAUGHT AT A HOSPITAL FACILITY WHICH IS MORE PROFESSIONAL AND THE INSTRUCTORS ARE REAL PHARMACISTS.

IT IS GOOD TO KNOW THAT AN EXTERNSHIP IS PROVIDED BY THE SCHOOL BUT IT WOULD BE BETTER IF THE SCHOOL WAS ACCREDITED.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Alysha in Palos Verdes Peninsula, California

63 months ago

I recently finished the Boston Reed Pharm Tech course in Long Beach,Ca. I also just passed the PTCB exam, and am waiting to start my externship right now. I had a really good experience with Boston Reed. Maybe it was the instructor, who was a former tech, and a teacher. The class was through, good class discussions, we worked through the book, it wasn't perfect, but if you have a good instructor it's worth it for the experience. Also the course helped me to ace the PTCB exam, I'd suggest taking it right out of school. There are other courses that are cheaper but they aren't going to be as involved as Boston Reed. There is a lot of math involved and a good instructor is important for that as well. Our teacher would give us extra math handouts and work sheet, we even had Math lab for those that needed extra help. So overall I'm happy with my experience and what I paid for it. I'm still waiting to complete the externship,taking a little long to be placed, but I already figured your kinda on your own once your out of school,so I'm definately not expecting to get a job out of my externship.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Christine in San Jose, CA in Los Gatos, California

63 months ago

After reading all the comments, I have mix feelings about Boston Reed. I know I can pass the PTCB with a few good books and study hard by myself. My question is the externship. Did Boston Reed place you with hospitals or retail pharmacies or ??? Did the hospitals or retail pharmacies like Boston Reed students?

Any of you got a job with the place that you had the externship thru Boston Reed? If not, did the externship help you finding a pharm tech job?

Alysha, have you gotten an externship yet? How do you like it? And congratulations on passing the exam!

Vivian, how did you like your course so far with Boston Reed?

Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alysha in Rancho Palos Verdes, California

63 months ago

Thanks for the congrats..I am still waiting to be placed in an externship, I am all ready to start and am just waiting for them to place me. Also so you know you can choose for yourself if you want to be placed in a hospital or retail pharmacy, you just let them know. They have contracts for students with both. Right now I am not the happiest with them, because its taking a long time to be placed and I'm already thinking about just finding the location by myself which I could do but I kind of feel like them placing you is part of the program & what you pay for with the school. So we'll see, as soon as I am placed(hopefully soon) I will write back & let you know.

Christine in Los Gatos, California

63 months ago

Alysha in Rancho Palos Verdes, California said: Thanks for the congrats..I am still waiting to be placed in an externship, I am all ready to start and am just waiting for them to place me. Also so you know you can choose for yourself if you want to be placed in a hospital or retail pharmacy, you just let them know. They have contracts for students with both. Right now I am not the happiest with them, because its taking a long time to be placed and I'm already thinking about just finding the location by myself which I could do but I kind of feel like them placing you is part of the program & what you pay for with the school. So we'll see, as soon as I am placed(hopefully soon) I will write back & let you know.

Thank you for the feedback. Hope you get placed soon. Please write back and let us know. I am thinking of enroll with BR but now I don't know if I should. I have only a few days to decide since class will start this Saturday. Like you said you can find externship yourself then BR does not really help at all. Lots of people in this forum passed the exam w/o going thru any school/program.

simple girl in SAN FRAN, California

62 months ago

Christine in Los Gatos, California said: Thank you for the feedback. Hope you get placed soon. Please write back and let us know. I am thinking of enroll with BR but now I don't know if I should. I have only a few days to decide since class will start this Saturday. Like you said you can find externship yourself then BR does not really help at all. Lots of people in this forum passed the exam w/o going thru any school/program.

I would not advise going there, they are RUDE RUDE RUDE, and the education was HORRIBLE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

MrsT in Killeen, Texas said: Well I have been in this class sine June 2. We are currently on our 5th teacher and I found an ad on Craigs List of all places looking for our replacement teacher, because the one we have, his last day is today. Every time we get a new teacher I feel like I am starting all over again, new teacher new teaching style. I have been feeling like I wasted my money but I am trying to struggle through, knowing that i will never work in this field because I have learned nothing.

HOW DID YOU END UP DOING WITH BOSTON REED? ANY LUCK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Ana in Carmichael, California said: All I can say about Boston Reed is you get what you pay for. It's a cheap program with people who don't know how to teach, teaching it. Boston Reed actually representatives calling us about the third week asking us if the instructor let us out early. My teacher did not even know how to pronounce the words in the textbook. We also had to do word searches and matching in this class like we were in elementary school again. How can you take any class seriously. I do not recommend this program.

My recommendation for anyone who is looking at becoming a Pharmacy Technician is to study for the PTCB exam and take that and become licensed that way. You will actually learn something and it won't cost you nearly as much. There are some really great books and tools out there to learn from.

ANA COULD YOU PLEASE EMAIL ME DIRECTLY AT
asimplemind85@gmail.com
I am in the process of filing a formal complaint against them and I need to know of OTHERS besides me that had a horrible experince with them as well. Because YES lots of people have had issues with them BUT HOW MANY have actually gotten anywhere and had their troubles solved?>? Troubles like this need to be reported. Please email me so I can talk over the steps that I am taken to make sure that they NEVER EVER treat any one the WAY that I was treated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

simple girl in SAN FRAN, California said: DId you have a good or bad experince with BOSTON REED? I am in the process of gathering different peoples opionions on there experince with BOSTON REED and would like to start a complaint forum for those that have had issues with them so that we can FORMALLY complain to a higher-up. Complaining with them was of no success please email me at asimplemind85@gmail.com for more info thanks

Hi can you give more details why no one should go to class with BR?

62 months ago

Dimadi in San Jose, California said: Hi can you give more details why no one should go to class with BR?

Lets see where do i begin? My teacher actually called me FAT on more then one occasion.I left class in tears
TEacher called me stupid in more ways then one
I think he has been fired since..BUT boston REED had NOTHING TO COMMENT ABOUT THIS!!

dreamymind in San Bernardino, California

61 months ago

I also went to Boston Reed. The administration is very unorganized..They lost my student loan paperwork and had messed me up on my repayment plan with student loan before school even came out.. The teacher was very unorganized and was always having a hard time controlling the class. She was very soft spoken, however, we got some privileged stuff because of her employment with the hospital. supplies were not a priorty with Boston Reed so we did not get updated with gowns, masks, etc. She did bring them in for us to use. Because of her hospital and retail experience she brought alot of knowledge with her as a person she was great as a teacher...hmmmm... Complete waste of time unless you live in a big city look for job opportunities before starting school in your area as this is a very hard one to get into. I have now been out of school and Licensed since around Aug and still can't find a job. My teacher also reniged on giving me a letter of recommendation whcih I think is because I accidently included the rate your teacher sheet with my externship paperwork. Don't think she liked what I had to say. But anyways I have my letter of ranking and was in the top 1/3rd of class in a class of 25. So top 8 of class and still no job..

brown_dude_CPhT in Brookline, Massachusetts

61 months ago

dreamymind in San Bernardino, California said: I also went to Boston Reed. The administration is very unorganized..They lost my student loan paperwork and had messed me up on my repayment plan with student loan before school even came out.. The teacher was very unorganized and was always having a hard time controlling the class. She was very soft spoken, however, we got some privileged stuff because of her employment with the hospital. supplies were not a priorty with Boston Reed so we did not get updated with gowns, masks, etc. She did bring them in for us to use. Because of her hospital and retail experience she brought alot of knowledge with her as a person she was great as a teacher...hmmmm... Complete waste of time unless you live in a big city look for job opportunities before starting school in your area as this is a very hard one to get into. I have now been out of school and Licensed since around Aug and still can't find a job. My teacher also reniged on giving me a letter of recommendation whcih I think is because I accidently included the rate your teacher sheet with my externship paperwork. Don't think she liked what I had to say. But anyways I have my letter of ranking and was in the top 1/3rd of class in a class of 25. So top 8 of class and still no job..

Just curious, how much was your student loan from Boston Reed ?

Laurie Guertin in Cranston, Rhode Island

61 months ago

Vanessa in Long Beach, California said: After I graduated, I wasn't really actively looking for a job at that time since I was still in school full time. They said that at least 80% of those who work at their externship sites stay there but I didn't and I think that none of my classmates stayed at their sites. Some of the classmates I still keep in touch with are still looking for a job even after they have passed the PTCB exam. So as far as I know, after you graduate from Boston Reed, you're pretty much on your own.

I am going to take the course in January. Right now I am a CNA, but there are to many CNA's so there are few jobs. Years ago I could get a job in a heartbeat. Actually I have 3 CNA jobs and last week I had 2 hours of work. Back to Pharm Tech. If I enjoyed traveling ( you may want to consider) A Pharm tech is a good candidate for Pharmaceutical sales, a very lucrative job. Good luck!

Emmy in Cypress, California

60 months ago

Alysha in Rancho Palos Verdes, California said:

Wanted to kno if you got placed yet? I'm still enrolled with Boston Reed with the class work finishing by May 2010 and I'm concerned it may take too long for them to get me an externship. By the way, have you taken the certification exam yet?

Thanks for your feedback -

Alysha in San Pedro, California

60 months ago

Finally got placed, but havent started yet, offices were closed for holidays. Yes took PTCB right after the school portion, I think it's better that way while all the info is fresh and your still in study mode.

koaita7 in Los Angeles, California

60 months ago

TaiwanGirl in Newark, California said: I just finished my internship last week and took my PTCB yeasterday and PASSED! Yes, the text is difficult to wade through, but if you just use it as a reference book and focus on the CD in the back, that's where the knowledge comes from. And your internship teaches you a great deal of information as well. Boston Reed has been great to me! Whenever I needed something they did it right away and the people are wonderful to deal with. My instructor was experienced and guided us through the maze of the exams (by highlighting what pages the information that was on the test) and this helped a great deal with the tests. The tests helped me with my internship and helps you to focus on what you really need to know. YOU MUST BE GOOD IN MATH! Please, if math scares you this is not the profession for you. Having a professional and friendly persona also goes a long ways in your internship. There are many jobs out there but you must have your license in hand--at leat in California--and this currently takes about 60 business days. Boston Reed and Safeway get big thumbs up from me! I would highly recommend this program for anyone who is seriously contemplating a pharmacy program.

may i ask u what was on the ptcb test i would like to know im finishing in april from boston reed would like some knowledge of wat is to come email me at katitaojosverdes@gmail.com

koaita7 in Los Angeles, California

60 months ago

Alysha in San Pedro, California said: Finally got placed, but havent started yet, offices were closed for holidays. Yes took PTCB right after the school portion, I think it's better that way while all the info is fresh and your still in study mode.

one more question did you help with the math anywhere else im still pretty bad had been pulling trough test trying out of nowhere but if you have aqny info on whats to come please email me i will check i just want to pass this course and move from my job

Alysha in Henderson, Nevada

60 months ago

As far as math in the course, I had a really good teacher who even printed up extra math worksheets for practice, and would have math lab sessions where you could ask questions if you needed help,if your teacher isn't like that, you might want to get a tutor even a couple sessions might help. Math isn't my strongest subject either but if you put the time in studying and mostly memorizing all the conversions it will get a lot easier. Hang in there & good luck.

darshankehal in San Francisco, California

60 months ago

monika in San Jose, California said: hi i am thinking to take classea but i am so scarebecause i never study in medical so .any one help me plz

Hi monika, dont scare PT is very intersted i pass 1st time PTCB just work hard u will be pass any Q SEND ME EMAIL DARSHANKEHAL@YAHOO.COM best of luck

monika in San Jose, California

60 months ago

darshankehal in San Francisco, California said: Hi monika, dont scare PT is very intersted i pass 1st time PTCB just work hard u will be pass any Q SEND ME EMAIL DARSHANKEHAL@YAHOO.COM best of luck

hi darshankehal.thanks very much.i will definitely work hard.can i ask u Q plz where u from?ans me

60 months ago

Hi monika thanks for email. I m from punjab ( india)california

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

I live fremont I graduate from UNITEK COLLEGE FREMONT CA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Past student in Oakland, California

57 months ago

Don't Go to Boston Reed!My instructor all she was telling us was where she had been,about the food she like and screams and making comments about students and blaming them when evever she was not in the mood.Lol one of the replacement teacher took an hour to write the whole exam on the board for the whole hour.It is an exam da..

Don't worry if you have to fail.You can take the exam as much as your dump a.. gets it.I saw people taking the same exam three times.No body fails.

Oh nobody will show you the math the dosage calculation.You are on your own.Who cares about you.....

I was blank when I go to the externship site.I was so ashamed that I didn't know the whole thing.I learned from my practice.

When you call to Boston Reed don't expect much.I wish they could give me back the money that I spent for school and gas.I will advice anybody not to go there if you really want to learn.

Good Luck ya all.Boston Reed is not professional,to the standard and quality.

Past student.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

stilllearning in Sacramento, California

56 months ago

Best advice I can give - always take courses at an accredited college so that if you need to further your education, you don't end up retaking courses because you can't receive credit for those already taken. Also - take English and grammar courses. American business undervalues the ability of individuals who are bilingual, trilingual, etc. You may speak perfectly in your familial tongue and may even be able to turn that into an advantage in searching for a job, but most employers want to know that you speak English/American well enough to converse with all customers. America may be a melting pot, but corporate America or even the individuals making the hiring decisions are not as accepting of differences in dialects/grammatical use. And considering the amount of math you need to learn for a pharmacy tech position, and if you excel at it - consider going into a finance, accounting, or business degree - as these are some of the fastest growing positions over the next five years. Yes - health care is also a growing field, but do your research - there will be far more pharmacy tech grads than jobs - don't fall for a advertisement that is pushing you toward a career that may fizzle by the time you get the education and experience to amply apply your knowledge and skills. If you are currently employed - look at how you can turn your work experience in addition to education into a more lucrative career. And don't forget to network - keep in touch with mentors, friends, and family about your career concerns and aspirations and keep your mind open to continuing your education.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

enchante60 in Moreno Valley, California

56 months ago

Hello, I had taken PT course online with PennFoster, and now am ready to take PTCB test, it's been almost over year now since i've taken it, so am just wonder should i re-enroll again with PT course with PennFoster, or can i just read all my text books all over and practice exam book to prepare for my test...would it be suffice to do that???? Any comments would be appreciate it. :) and also, congrats to all of you who passed the PTCB exam, i looked at the practice book, and it was so darn hard and you all did it, congrats, congrats :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.