DO NOT ENROLL IN ANY PHARMACY TECH SCHOOLS!! WASTE OF TIME!!!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 159)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

robert safner in somers, Connecticut

56 months ago

i was lucky becasue after i got laid off after 23 years of service i was able to go back to school under wia, worker ivestment act. so my 14 week course was free. i didn't pay for my 3 books either. we had a great teacher with 15 people in my class. i loved my class. and i passed the borad test as well as a nha exam. i am not having any luck finding my first job. i am working with the state of ct to find a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (155) / No (65) Reply - Report abuse

kalila in Stanton, California

48 months ago

im currently enrolled in a pharmacy tech program that is completely free here in orange county, ca. i am 2 classes away from being done.

i know what you mean by the schools being a scam...you can definitely get trained as a pharmacy tech at one of these community pharmacies..the only thing is for me personally my long term goal is to work in a hospital pharmacy as they get paid wayyyy more than a tech at cvs or walgreens. or even working at a long term care pharmacy mixing iv's etc.

no hospital is going to hire someone with no experience or education credentials.

theres a big difference between cvs/walgreens and working for an actual hospital pharmacy.

hope that info helps..

good luck to all

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (183) / No (34) Reply - Report abuse

gina in Orange, California

48 months ago

NOT for 2000

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (38) Reply - Report abuse

Kyle in Lebanon, Oregon

47 months ago

I am finding it hard to get a PhT job without some kind of formal training. Hospitals will not hardly talk to me after finding out that I have not yet received a formal education in PhT. Some hospitals actually require a Bachelor of Science just to be a Pharmacy tech.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

aprillynd in Cranford, New Jersey

46 months ago

That is too much money! I suggest that you do more research on many other schools. For Pharmacy tech, you can do self study and then take the exam yourself. The books can be found in your local library or if you feel that you want to own them, you can buy them. I would suggest that if you still want to go to school, investigate a school called CareerStep.com , I did and was plesantly suprised at the cost of their courses because I was quoted at Sanford Brown the same amount you were, but Career step, which is an online school that I would highly recommend, only quoted me $2,800 with a holiday break sale and 3,000 without. They are not expensive and I have spoken to a former student who was able to get a job as a Medical Transcriptionist. If you are dead set to become a Pharmacy Technition you must also do your research on the salary information. There are many other professions in the medical field that make so much more money. The hard part is actually getting the job once you have passed the test. Most hospitals require an Associates degree or a Bacholars Degree, so do alot more information gathering on the places where you want to be employed and the schools you are interested in. You do not have to spend that much money to get educated because they only care about the $$$$$$! and not you as a student. A local community college will cost you so much less too! If you are unemployed, your unemployment office will send you back to school for free. Do your research on the state aide programs in your state if you do no make enough money as well. My friend is going through TANF in Maine which if you work less than 18 hours, you get your schooling for free. If your state has something like that, you need to find out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (78) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

sassoanthony123@aol.com in Boca Raton, Florida

46 months ago

ok well ive been lookin/ and asking around from everyone/nd every school in my city and around South florida but all of them are tryin to charge these ridiculous prices, (like a couple grand !! And for us certain people that really dont have too much money that could do a fast program or A way easier training program that culd b so much cheaper!! well can yu plz reply and help me out with some info... i live in West Palm Beach, Florida and i was gunna see if yu could find me one of them programs, or the few day training centers so plz reply back ive been going at this for a year now....!!!
Thank you: Anthony.S

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

MK Edu in Willowbrook, Illinois

45 months ago

Not all pharm tech programs are created equal. Do you research before you register.

My company offers a 15 week pharm tech program (we even have some Texas locations). Check out our blog before you decide on a class.

blog.mkedu.org/bid/57951/Looking-for-a-NEW-CAREER-THINK-THINK-THINK-PLAN-PLAN-PLAN?source=Blog_Email_%5bLooking+for+a+NEW+CA%5d

If you are still interested in our program after doing your homework visit our website MKedu.org or check us out on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn @MKeducation

astride37 in Little Elm, Texas said: i sent over 2 hrs tryng to search a school that would offer a phar tech training for 3 months cuz i'm in school but cnt find any...any recommendations?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

armygirl04 in Fort Riley, Kansas

44 months ago

Brian in Monrovia, California said: I am looking for a good pharmacy tech school that will not rip me off. Can You suggest any schools. How doyou feel about on-line courses?

ALLIED BUISSNESS is a great place. i know this is not a scam because i am going there now. also being military and having them pay they would not just give this money out to a school or such a place that is fake. and its only a grand and in 6 months u got to the board

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

44 months ago

You just have to check these schools out first. Ask questions. Call up different pharmacies to find out what type of training you need. Do your research first before you decide whether or not you want to enroll in any of these schools.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

James P in Bradenton, Florida

44 months ago

Well in Florida starting January 2011 in order to work in a Pharmacy you must be registered and Certified and have to go to school in order to even work in a Pharmacy. If you worked in a Pharmacy before this change, you can continue working for some time but you have to get certified. So to the guy who posted this whole thing i find this all funny. Of course if you go to school you will get paid more, regardless if you need it or not

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

lpalcrew in Irvine, California

44 months ago

kalila in Stanton, California said: im currently enrolled in a pharmacy tech program that is completely free here in orange county, ca. i am 2 classes away from being done.

i know what you mean by the schools being a scam...you can definitely get trained as a pharmacy tech at one of these community pharmacies..the only thing is for me personally my long term goal is to work in a hospital pharmacy as they get paid wayyyy more than a tech at cvs or walgreens. or even working at a long term care pharmacy mixing iv's etc.

no hospital is going to hire someone with no experience or education credentials.

theres a big difference between cvs/walgreens and working for an actual hospital pharmacy.

hope that info helps..

good luck to all

where are you taking the classes for free in OC? I just moved into the pharmacy dept @ Costco and am thinking about getting certified...thanks for any info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sonyalc in Chattanooga, Tennessee

44 months ago

I am about to take my PTCB test and would like to know if anyone knows if a theft under $500 conviction 15 years ago along with a D.U.I 10 years ago will hinder me being registered in the state of TN. I currently work as an Resident Assistant(patient aide), in an assisted living facility.
Thanks for any info :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

John in Saint Albans, New York

42 months ago

Everyone please listen to me now and know that the only advice you pay for is the ones you dont take. While it is true that everyone don't have the same luck there is a extremely high possible that if you take your little bit of money to pay for these Pharm Tech course you will be rob. First by these prostitute schools then by the job market which dont want to employ you unless they know you. I have an advance degree in sciences and I am also a CPhT. I took just two months to complete a one year course becaues I am not from America I am use to higher educational standard, So all the Pharm Cal, pharmocology and top two hundred drugs courses were butter for me.I did an externship and after that there was no job. Everyone is sending you to apply online and then thats it. At the end of the day they employed their frinds and family members that how it is. But it all your decision to go ahead to do these course or not. I think it is only fair to let other person know that their is no demand for any pharm Tech and the Pharmacies are using PharmD students on their first year ti fill in. My advise however if you know that you have the ability like me to go and study to be a medical dcotor, register nurse, accountant or pharmacist ect. My wife is at pharmacy school on her second year and I am starting RN school soon. My educational ability is way above there certificate courses like Pharm tech.When I did the CPhT I almost fall asleep the way the exam is so basic. So listen to me strive for the highest and not for these labourer job which keep turning people down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (46) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

laina in Theodore, Alabama said: hey im about to be starting pharmacy tech school and now that i read all this i kind of think its a scam because my school has a 8 month program which includes an externship and the cost of the whole thing with books and 2 uniforms included is 14,000 somethin.. that is A lOT considering you guys talking about 2,000 for however long. should i go ahead and do this because i could do it for the working in the hospital part since in alabama you can work at a pharmacy with no experience.

That will no doubth one if not your biggest mistake to go do Pharmacy technician course

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

John in Saint Albans, New York said: That will no doubth one if not your biggest mistake to go do Pharmacy technician course

Please I am begging you dont take your money to do thatsave to become a pharmacist or RN or radiology.There is no job for that.God please help him or her to consider b4 taking her money that she maybe work hard for. I will also pray for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

lisaconfused in Covington, Tennessee

40 months ago

I have checked into allied schools. Site pharmacytrainingonline.com it is a at your own pace course for 1400$ with a payment plan of 199 down 85 a month.. I need help on determining what I should do and if its legit?

AND...

If I can just go to the library and check out a book... what book??? and where would I go to take the test?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

lisaconfused in Covington, Tennessee

40 months ago

Oh btw that allied school is nationally accredited by the DETC... help!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

NYC_PhT

40 months ago

lisaconfused in Covington, Tennessee said: I have checked into allied schools. Site pharmacytrainingonline.com it is a at your own pace course for 1400$ with a payment plan of 199 down 85 a month.. I need help on determining what I should do and if its legit?

AND...

If I can just go to the library and check out a book... what book??? and where would I go to take the test?

First check with colleges in your area. Some colleges offer a continuing education certificate in pharm tech. They usually cover the basics (top 200, calculations, conversions, SIG codes) and prep you to take the national test. Its usually shorter and cost less money, $800 + $95 for textbook in NY. The only drawback is they dont offer an internship and they dont help you find a job. Its easy enough to set up your own internship though. Also some chain pharmacies will train you and pay for the certification test, its worth checking out. It would also be a good idea to determine if there is a demand in this field. You dont want to waste time and money only to realize afterwards that there are no jobs in your area.

I dont mean to sound rude but how old are you? Do you not know how to use a library? Maybe this field is not for you if the library mystifies you. Try googling pharmacy certification to find out more about the test. Just like anything elso do not jump into this without some research. Hope that helps. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

rshea in Bergenfield, New Jersey

39 months ago

lpalcrew in Irvine, California said: where are you taking the classes for free in OC? I just moved into the pharmacy dept @ Costco and am thinking about getting certified...thanks for any info.

Santa Ana College has a Pharmacy Tech Program, but it is not free. Very reasonable though. Check the California Pharmacy Technician license requirements and you will find that this is a good way to proceed with career training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dahui in Miami, Florida

39 months ago

Brian in Monrovia, California said: I am looking for a good pharmacy tech school that will not rip me off. Can You suggest any schools. How doyou feel about on-line courses?

do not waste your time going to school and waist 12k for it when you can study at home on line get the certification test and cost you 500 to 700 thats all!!!

I WENT TO SCHOOL MYSELF,GOOD LUCK!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

vegashoow in Birmingham, Alabama

39 months ago

i went to school and paid over $8000 on 2003 i finished top of my class passed my PTCB state certification, but i had no luck at all after 1 1/2 of looking for a job a just gave it up,no company gave me the oportunity and what i noticed is that almost every where i applied they only had girls working, so i guess being a male is not an advantage in this field, well im thinking in going back and try it again , does anyone know what i need to do since i never took any classes or the 20hr course, what sould i do what you guys recommend, please any suggestions????????

thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Isabel in Oakland, California

39 months ago

sammie in Oakland, California said: hi guys I already got a book to study pharmacy tech at home. But after I read your comments I don't know what should I do? Do you guys thilnk I should take a test?

Check out thepharmacyprofessionals.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Isabel in Oakland, California

39 months ago

Check out thepharmacyprofessionals.com this program is only $1275 if you pay in full and $1600.00 in payments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

LuckyK in Cerritos, California

39 months ago

I'm going with the ed2go online course being offered by the university I got my B.A. at a decade ago.

The offer exterships even to online students, and like all colleges have a career center.

It tickles me that people who just studied out of a library book and passed the test on their own are mystified that no one will hire them for not having experience.

A GOOD school has exterships and career building connections!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kellie in Willowbrook, Illinois

39 months ago

sassoanthony123@aol.com in Boca Raton, Florida said: so i could go to my local college to become a pharmacy technician?

I definitely recommend checking out your local college first, esp. if they have a good reputation in the community. An established college is going to be very particular about the program they offer because they don't want to damage their good name. You may also be able to take advantage of career services and computer labs if you enroll in a local college's program.

Check out my blog for more advice on finding success as a healthcare professional. blog.mkedu.org/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cvm_13

38 months ago

We conduct online Pharm Tech program for 8-16 weeks. You can search the "Texas Health Tech Institute, Beaumont TX. After finishing the program, we do recommendation too. For example, you want to do the internship either in retail or hospital, we'll write you a letter of recommendation plus your class standing/performance. If you have any question you can email me at cvm_13@yahoo.com, and I will guide you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

alwaysanangel_7@yahoo.com in Winslow, Arizona

38 months ago

i would really like some advice please!! im taking a community college pharmacy technician course right now, im wondering if i should continue with it or drop out and self study, the teacher doesn't seem to teach the way id like basically tells us to study on our own and gives us test, but goes on how he can get us to pass the test and guarantee a job, the class requires extership of 160 hrs which is 30 miles away from me and have 2 months to complete, which is impossible for me at this time: i work have a child and a bf who works and only one vehicle and have bills etc to pay so my time is already limited! the class seems bogus and impossible to me but is it? should i still try my hardest to pass this class to get the experience with externship and his guarantee of a job??? help please???!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

alwaysanangel_7@yahoo.com in Winslow, Arizona

38 months ago

cvm_13 said: We conduct online Pharm Tech program for 8-16 weeks. You can search the "Texas Health Tech Institute, Beaumont TX. After finishing the program, we do recommendation too. For example, you want to do the internship either in retail or hospital, we'll write you a letter of recommendation plus your class standing/performance. If you have any question you can email me at cvm_13@yahoo.com, and I will guide you.

can you do that only in texas???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

linda in Huntington Beach, California

37 months ago

kalila in Stanton, California said: im currently enrolled in a pharmacy tech program that is completely free here in orange county, ca. i am 2 classes away from being done.

hope that info helps..

good luck to all

Which school is that, I mean free in orange county, CA?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jj in Atlanta, Georgia

37 months ago

CAP in Auburndale, Florida said: They are scams, because you dont have to go to school to be a pharmacy technician, all you have to do is take the goverment test, buy a pharmacy tech book and study it then take the test. I didnt pay for 1 day of school and passed the test with flying colors.

Yes, but that is not going to make you legal to work in the state of Fl. The national board test has zero to do with it . You have to take a program , either a school or an employer approved program to get a state liscense.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Hassak in Tyrone, Pennsylvania

37 months ago

Schools are a waste of time. I spent a year in a tech school, and while I did learn what I needed to in order to pass the PTCB, I felt that it would have been much more efficient to study on my own, for a mere fraction of the cost. With classes thrown in as filler (Mock interviews, resume building, stress management WTF?!) it simply is not worth the time, money or effort. Buy a review book or two, study for a couple months max, and you will be fine. Of course, all state regulations may differ, so check to see if you need any additional certification.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mammy d in Rose Hill, Kansas

37 months ago

mynhii in Oakland, California said: My level of math is trigonometry. I don't have any knowledge of drugs and their effects. Do you think I can pass the exam?

Can you please give me the title of the books you used to study for the certification test? Thank you.

you studied for 20 minutes and passed the ptsb??? If your gonna offer information to people at least try and be truthful when doing so.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pharmtech_instructor04@yahoo.com in Buna, Texas

37 months ago

Hey, do u want to pass the PTCB? I have the complete PTCB handouts and you're gonna pass the PTCE w/o going to school.. just study the handouts that I am selling! let me know if u are interested, u can email me: pharmtech_instructor04@yahoo.com
I will teach you the calculations for pharm tech curriculum for free once u purchase my PTCE handouts reviewer guide!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

BOSSDJ 20 in Phoenix, Arizona

37 months ago

Hi. I just made an account on here and read a few comments on pharm schools/programs. I have been interested in the position since high school and am a sophmore in college right now. I am currently in a clinical lab science program and i'm in the process of putting it on hold to take a pharmacy tech class at Scottsdale business institute. The class is actually a great deal because it is about $900 to become enrolled and they supply you in full with books and all the materials you will need. The class is about four months and prepares you for the test. I haven't taken the class yet but it starts at the end of January. For those of you looking for some tech programs to get certified so you can have a better pay rate starting your job I suggest researching this program at Scottsdale Business Institute. They offer a variety of classes for any type of field you are looking into. They even offer accelerated classes so it will be swift and you get done with your cert in no time..

Well hopefully it will be smooth sailing for me and I get through it all successfully.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

starving in La Habra, California

37 months ago

BOSSDJ 20 in Phoenix, Arizona said: Hi. I just made an account on here and read a few comments on pharm schools/programs. I have been interested in the position since high school and am a sophmore in college right now. I am currently in a clinical lab science program and i'm in the process of putting it on hold to take a pharmacy tech class at Scottsdale business institute. The class is actually a great deal because it is about $900 to become enrolled and they supply you in full with books and all the materials you will need. The class is about four months and prepares you for the test. I haven't taken the class yet but it starts at the end of January. For those of you looking for some tech programs to get certified so you can have a better pay rate starting your job I suggest researching this program at Scottsdale Business Institute. They offer a variety of classes for any type of field you are looking into. They even offer accelerated classes so it will be swift and you get done with your cert in no time..

Well hopefully it will be smooth sailing for me and I get through it all successfully.

Many things wrong with what you have said, don't put your current school down pharmacy technician classes are extremely easy and can be done still going to university full time and work full time. You will regret miserably putting your current school on hold. Certification is obtained through the easiest test ever you can pass it hung over and tired with barely studying that same day. Also this field is not smooth sailing

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

JaneJefferson 20 in Phoenix, Arizona

37 months ago

Actually I would have to disagree with you. There is nothing wrong with what I said. It is simply a plan. Everyone does things differently. My way is just taking extra precaution because I don't want to go into this class while in school and find out I am way over my head with trying to keep up with my classes at school and the other class. I always have to make sure my schedules aren't conflicting all the time. I know this type of field won't be smooth sailing if you want to go full Pharmacist, but it is all about how you get there by putting in the research. I wanted to make sure my plan is conceivable. Though I will be temporarily out of school to get certified I think it will be worth it once I get a job, then continue school to finish out my bachelors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JaneJefferson 20 in Phoenix, Arizona

37 months ago

starving in La Habra, California said: Many things wrong with what you have said, don't put your current school down pharmacy technician classes are extremely easy and can be done still going to university full time and work full time. You will regret miserably putting your current school on hold. Certification is obtained through the easiest test ever you can pass it hung over and tired with barely studying that same day. Also this field is not smooth sailing

Actually I would have to disagree with you. There is nothing wrong with what I said. It is simply a plan. Everyone does things differently. My way is just taking extra precaution because I don't want to go into this class while in school and find out I am way over my head (considering I never taken pharmacy tech class) and trying to keep up with my classes at school. I always have to make sure my schedules aren't conflicting all the time because I have a job too. I know this type of field won't be smooth sailing if you want to go full Pharmacist, but it is all about how you get there by putting in the research. I wanted to make sure my plan is conceivable. Though I will be temporarily out of school to get certified I think it will be worth it once I get a job, then continue school to finish out my bachelors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Steven in Tallahassee, Florida

37 months ago

Unique problem

I will try to be concise. I sat for the PTCE and passed. 1/4/2011 yeah I know. From october 2010 to december 2010 I paid a pharm student with pharm tech exp to tutor me. She was accredited by the state of virginia. While in the final four weeks of classes I lost my construction job and was forced to move back to florida. I was saddened by this but continued to study relentlessly. As I said I passed the exam and when I went for a job they were like You aren't registered..... man now I have to complete some course to prove I'm qualified even though PTCB says I am.....'sigh'

Here is what I've thought of doing. Skpeing the Tutor FL to VA and completing her course work. Taking a Review course 3 credit hours at community college. Volunteering at the Hospital Pharmacy for clinical exp.

What would you do fellow CphTs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Steven in Tallahassee, Florida

37 months ago

How much money. Website link etc. oh and THANKS Ash

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Leah in Oregon, Wisconsin

36 months ago

CAP in Auburndale, Florida said: They are scams, because you dont have to go to school to be a pharmacy technician, all you have to do is take the goverment test, buy a pharmacy tech book and study it then take the test. I didnt pay for 1 day of school and passed the test with flying colors.

I agree. Not in all states. But in my state of WI. A human resource manager told me that my state is one that does not mandate formal education for consideration for pharmacy tech. However you must sit for and pass the exam to become a CPT. There is an (Original) book she told me about called "The Pharmacy Trainer" By Make Greenwald. He was the originator of all these books now out. He sells DVDs to interact on line.. a self paced study course and a book with index cards as well. He instructs you how to pass this exam. This lady is at a compounding pharmacy and she said the people who work there took this program and passed the exam. She hired them starting at !2.50 an hour full time.. full benefits. They train you to compound. You don't have to take separate courses on this or waste time and money you most likely don't have on formal education unless your state required national accreditation or requires formal education. Mine does not. The wage is excellent. I am sorry to agree with someone up above who said about other jobs in health care that are better then CPT? Are you kidding me. I have researched this extensively for a year now. Many health related fields require an Associate Degree.. and many require working with radiation or bodily fluids..and lifting patients. If your into that thing. I can't believe people are getting paid so low. In my state its not like that .. thankfully so.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Hialeah, Florida

35 months ago

Steven in Tallahassee, Florida said: Unique problem

I will try to be concise. I sat for the PTCE and passed. 1/4/2011 yeah I know. From october 2010 to december 2010 I paid a pharm student with pharm tech exp to tutor me. She was accredited by the state of virginia. While in the final four weeks of classes I lost my construction job and was forced to move back to florida. I was saddened by this but continued to study relentlessly. As I said I passed the exam and when I went for a job they were like You aren't registered..... man now I have to complete some course to prove I'm qualified even though PTCB says I am.....'sigh'

Here is what I've thought of doing. Skpeing the Tutor FL to VA and completing her course work. Taking a Review course 3 credit hours at community college. Volunteering at the Hospital Pharmacy for clinical exp.

What would you do fellow CphTs.

In 2010 if you got Certified you could have registered with that alone. Its too late now, but I heard the Board changed its rules, I believe that any pharmacy can train you, while you do an online course that costs about $250. I dont know how it works, it seems to me that the employer would pay for the online class, but I dont know.
The way it was before you the only accedited schools cost $14,000 down here, and I think companies complained that such an expensive course would drive the salary of techs up, they really love cheap labor $11-$12 an hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Austin, Texas

35 months ago

After reading all of these posts, I have to comment that it seems many of you are throwing away significant amounts of ca$h without sitting down to work out the math. I've heard some crazy quotes, but the average going rate seems to be about $2,000 for a PhT program. What are you getting out of this? Most of these "training programs" simply prepare you to take the PTCE. I would strongly agree with numerous posters who have commented that you can simply buy a book or check a book out from your local library branch and use that to study. Math is a significant portion of this exam and the math is easy. If you are uncomfortable with conversions, work all of the problems in your practice book, over and over, and hire a tutor for a few sessions if need be. What's a tutor at $30/pop for 5 sessions? $150 is 7.5% the amount you would have paid for the course. As for the drugs, there is absolutely no comprehension of pharmacology or chemistry involved. It's rote memorization of names and associated drug classes. The law? It's all in the book. The pharmaceutical practice? All in the book. And at the end of the day, taking a course does NOT guarantee you a job. What a shame it would be to pay all of that money for nothing. As other posters have commented: the best way to become a pharmacy tech is to get a job working in a pharmacy. Start at the register and move on up. Observe that the experience you will gain by working in said pharmacy will completely NEGATE the need for the expensive course. Plus, you already have the job! This is the text-book definition of predatory education.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nay in Indianapolis, Indiana

35 months ago

My friend worked at CVS a few years ago and they paid for her to become a pharmacy tech. Then she went on to a major hospital as a pharmacy tech making $19 an hour! Now, it has been something that I have been considering picking up on the side since I work for a health insurance company and I have a basic knowledge of drugs. I'm struggling with whether I want to pay for the education, when I know I can just pick up a part time position at the local pharm.

jen134 in Memphis, Tennessee

35 months ago

what school did you go to ?

Tim in Tahlequah, Oklahoma

35 months ago

robert safner in somers, Connecticut said: i was lucky becasue after i got laid off after 23 years of service i was able to go back to school under wia, worker ivestment act. so my 14 week course was free. i didn't pay for my 3 books either. we had a great teacher with 15 people in my class. i loved my class. and i passed the borad test as well as a nha exam. i am not having any luck finding my first job. i am working with the state of ct to find a job.

You should have taken the PTCB exam...It is the ONLY national board test recognized by state boards of pharmacy (as in Texas, you have to be a CPhT to get a state license), not so in Oklahoma I'm afraid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

reece in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

34 months ago

I am interested in going to pharmacy tech school but working in the hospital.jefferson hospital ,nazareth,holy redeemer hospital
Question is its seems ever job wants you to have experience ? Im looking into community college they are 2x a week for 2 or 3 months but none have extership.

WE ARE LISTED AS # 23 ON LIST A WORST PLACES TO FIND A JOB HOW DO YOU GET OUT OF THIS LOOP HOLE?

Angelika22 in New York

34 months ago

I decided to buy some books and study them myself and take the exam in a month or two. I hope it works out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

Kyle in Lebanon, Oregon said: I am finding it hard to get a PhT job without some kind of formal training. Hospitals will not hardly talk to me after finding out that I have not yet received a formal education in PhT. Some hospitals actually require a Bachelor of Science just to be a Pharmacy tech.

A BS to fulfill Pharm Tech duties?...You must be joking...A Bachelors isn't needed EVEN in the hospital environment, let alone in retail...I can see someone who has a BS in Biology, or Chemistry, and for whatever reason didn't make it into medical school working as a pharm tech while trying to decide if pharmacy school (and a Pharm.D.) is worth it, but SERIOUSLY????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

tkit_easy in Brooklyn, New York

34 months ago

Angi..good luck. But, not easy. I tried and failed. I would suggest write mail to ptechsuccess@yahoo.com. After failing, I just got reference from this site and contact him. He was busy, but even his little guidance helped me a lot. He is so perfect that you would never fail exam. I am taking next week again. But, am so confident this time. I know medicines, laws, calcuations,almost everything. Try it Ny girl, it worked with me.He is busy though these days. Send mail though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

Angelika,

Just review your math related problems in a good review book, along with pharmacy law, and trade name-generic associations...You'll do fine...tkit_easy, Best of luck to you in your test...Think positive :)

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.