becoming a pharmacist technician PLEASE HELP!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 198)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

rachel in Claremont, New Hampshire

95 months ago

I am interested in becoming a pharmacist technician.I was told you have to good at math and science? is that true? and could somebody tell me what I would be doing during training and what i would be doin when I do get a job???!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (324) / No (70) Reply - Report abuse

Marcia in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

89 months ago

I'm currently studying to be a PT and I never thought I was good in Math/Science. I'm retiring soon at 49, and want this as a second part-time career. It turns out, I am good in Math/Science, because I'm studying on-line at my own pace - no nervous situations. You'll do fine, you don't have to be a mathematical genius to an Einstein to do this.
Marcia

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (60) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

renia in Kalamazoo, Michigan

88 months ago

rachel in Claremont, New Hampshire said: I am interested in becoming a pharmacist technician.I was told you have to good at math and science? is that true? and could somebody tell me what I would be doing during training and what i would be doin when I do get a job???!!!

If your thinking about going retail the only time you really need math and science is when the comp. breaks down, all the math you'll need is knowing the dram size and conversions to pour. or if you are compounding an admixture. everything else is just moving fast and efficiently. by soon to be certified pharmacy tech, I graduated from Olympia career training Inst. DIPLOMA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

angela in Everett, Washington

86 months ago

I am currently enrolled in Penn Foster. I am having trouble learning the name brand and generic. Any tips on learning all of those.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (118) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth Dang in Elk Grove, California

85 months ago

I was wondering I am a licensed pharmacy technician and I live in california. I am going to move to north carolina and I was wondering if i have to be certified. If so what are some good techniques to help me to pass it because i am having trouble i been doing the books and cd and study materials. do you know any helpful ways.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

David Scurlock in Eden Prairie, Minnesota

85 months ago

Elizabeth Dang in Elk Grove, California said: I was wondering I am a licensed pharmacy technician and I live in california. I am going to move to north carolina and I was wondering if i have to be certified. If so what are some good techniques to help me to pass it because i am having trouble i been doing the books and cd and study materials. do you know any helpful ways.

look online and find the NC pharmacy tech state website, you may have to read some, but it will tell you what you need to know. I would think that every state has a website on pharmacists and pharmacy techs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

kavita in San Jose, California

84 months ago

angela in Everett, Washington said: I am currently enrolled in Penn Foster. I am having trouble learning the name brand and generic. Any tips on learning all of those.

YES! INDEX CARDS! keep them on you 24/7. Memorize while at breakfast table, lunch, taking a break from work, walking in the park wherever you go. try your best. Do this only for 5 days and you will not have any problems remembering drug names ever. This worked for me. Hope it works for you! All The BEST!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

angela in Everett, Washington

84 months ago

thanks for the tip. I do have them on CD and have it loaded on my cellphone MP3 player. So listen to it alot too. But hadn't thought of the index cards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

George in Torrance, California

84 months ago

Learning how to be a tech and having the knowledge to be a tech depends on the school you go to. for ex> in southern california theres hundreds of pharmacy tech schools that you can go to, bryman (which is now everest) american career college, basically schools that offers pharmacy tech course that YOU SEE ON COMMERCIALS are usually the best ones. unlike those schools that are advertised on flea market catalogs, trust me you do not want to go to those schools, telling you that from first hand experience. but other than that math are easy. dosage calculations ex:metaphor.(500 bottles of beers on the wall, you need to drink atleast 20 beers a day, how many days will it take to drink all 500 bottles of beers on the wall!) are easy! devisions devisions devisions and cross multiplication which usually ends up to be devision in the end.! well i just finished my pharm tech course at a cheap college, its so ghetto, and those 8 months went by so fast. i feel as though i have learned nothing but when i stepped into a clinic pharmacy today for my externship, everything just came back to me. all those knowledge of drugs (legal) math that was hidden deep beneath this hard headed brain of mine, went to surface like a whale surfacing beaneath the ocean for a breath of air. anyways, it was real easy, the pharmacist are there to protect and serve she is the guidebook that you failed to read that will answer all your questions and guide you to be a good pharm tech, one bit of advice KNOW YOUR TOP 200 DRUGS GENERICS AND BRAND! if you learn all that before you work! its like being the richest person on the poorest place! well im tired and sleepy GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO WANTS TO PURSUE A CAREER AS A PHARMACY TECHNICIAN.! JUST DO YOUR BEST!.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

misty in Houston, Texas

84 months ago

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the name of a good book to study. I am waiting on my graduation package from pennfoster which includes a study guide to my states exam, but I am not wanting to wait. I want to start studing for the exam...now can anyone help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Jackie

84 months ago

Will chains (CVS,Walgreen) train you when you apply or do you have to be certified first?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (74) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

DEE in Buck Hill Falls, Pennsylvania

83 months ago

Marcia in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania said: I'm currently studying to be a PT and I never thought I was good in Math/Science. I'm retiring soon at 49, and want this as a second part-time career. It turns out, I am good in Math/Science, because I'm studying on-line at my own pace - no nervous situations. You'll do fine, you don't have to be a mathematical genius to an Einstein to do this.
Marcia

R U TAKING AN ONLINE COURSE OR DID U FIND A WEB SITE TO STUDY FROM. I TOO AM LOOKING TO TAKE THE PT TEST AND DONT KNOW HOW TO GO ABOUT DOING SO.ANY ADVICE AND GOOD LUCK WITH YOURS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Romi in Sacramento, California

83 months ago

I am currently enrolled in the Pharmacy Technician program here in Sacramento. I am having trouble remembering the brands/generics. I use index cards and the CD idea too. Anything else anyone can suggest. I have been in the program for about 4 months and have a feeling I'm not learning any of my b/g. Please, any suggestions would help. Also, if anyone has been PTCB certified recently, (07/08) please provide some feedback on the new computer testing. What type of questions and how many. I am very curious. Planning to take the PTCE in May this year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Patty in Baltimore, Maryland

83 months ago

If I were you, I'd check out some of the distance learning programs, for instance Ashworth university or others. But you must keep in mind that the majority of health care professions you must be licensed or certified by the state. Check with your licensing board and also make sure that the state will accept any school that you're looking at. Some states can be really funny about certains schools.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Laela in Sheridan, California

83 months ago

The new PTCB cert exam on the computer isn't that bad. I took the exam in November and you don't have to be super computer proficient. There's a tutorial before the exam begins that tells you every you need to know about how to take the exam, but it's basically read the question and click on the circle next to the right answer. As a tech names of drugs are important so you should remember at least the major ones, and what the general effect is. It sounds like you're on the right track, keep it up and good luck on your test!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SaraA in Ligonier, Indiana

82 months ago

Jackie said: Will chains (CVS,Walgreen) train you when you apply or do you have to be certified first?

I can't speak for WAGS, but at CVS they usually have a position of Pharmacy Trainer depending on your district and location, they give you study materials and on-the-job training. Most of my training was honestly on the job, learning as I go. They do give you a study book and workbook for the National Exam, but I have heard that Walgreens is more efficient at tech training than CVS. I would say they probably are more thorough all around than CVS.
You usually don't have to be certified first, but depending on the store, they might perfer prior experience.
I work at CVS, but I think Walgreens pays more for National Board Certification than we do, I was told I would only get a .25 raise, where at WAGS you get at least $2 or more.
Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Arlington, Texas

82 months ago

i will be graduating from high school pretty soon and i was wondering what all i am i required to learn to become a pharmacist tech? how long is it going to take for me to get my degree in texas? what does it mean to be certified? how long and what do you have to do to make "big money" as a pharmacist tech? please, if someone can give me a little feed back on what it is that i would be doing i would really appreciate that!!!! oh yea, if you have any extra info or tips please share them with me also.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jackie

82 months ago

thanks saraA!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

nivinm in Arlington, Texas

82 months ago

what is the website for the online test?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jackie

82 months ago

ptcb.org i think

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Renia Ruth in Kalamazoo, Michigan

82 months ago

This answer is for the want to be PT !!
To start a quick career as a PT, it takes about 8-9 mths. to a year to complete a course,When u grad. ur considered a just Pharm Tech, When u take the Nat'l Exam and past it ur considered a Certified PT, this offers a larger pay scale. Typical rates

Title- (Est.)

pt(retail)= ($8.01-10.27)

pt(hosp)= ($8.44-13.00)

CPT= ($10.00- 16.00 & up)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dupsy in loganville, Georgia

82 months ago

George in Torrance, California said: Learning how to be a tech and having the knowledge to be a tech depends on the school you go to. for ex> in southern california theres hundreds of pharmacy tech schools that you can go to, bryman (which is now everest) american career college, basically schools that offers pharmacy tech course that YOU SEE ON COMMERCIALS are usually the best ones. unlike those schools that are advertised on flea market catalogs, trust me you do not want to go to those schools, telling you that from first hand experience. but other than that math are easy. dosage calculations ex:metaphor.(500 bottles of beers on the wall, you need to drink atleast 20 beers a day, how many days will it take to drink all 500 bottles of beers on the wall!) are easy! devisions devisions devisions and cross multiplication which usually ends up to be devision in the end.! well i just finished my pharm tech course at a cheap college, its so ghetto, and those 8 months went by so fast. i feel as though i have learned nothing but when i stepped into a clinic pharmacy today for my externship, everything just came back to me. all those knowledge of drugs (legal) math that was hidden deep beneath this hard headed brain of mine, went to surface like a whale surfacing beaneath the ocean for a breath of air. anyways, it was real easy, the pharmacist are there to protect and serve she is the guidebook that you failed to read that will answer all your questions and guide you to be a good pharm tech, one bit of advice KNOW YOUR TOP 200 DRUGS GENERICS AND BRAND! if you learn all that before you work! its like being the richest person on the poorest place! well im tired and sleepy GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO WANTS TO PURSUE A CAREER AS A PHARMACY TECHNICIAN.! JUST DO YOUR BEST!.

thanks for the advice, how do i get to know the top 200 drugs generic and brand name.i would be taking the exams nxt month and i'm studying on my own and i have come ac ross alo

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jessica in Des Moines, Iowa

82 months ago

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what a pharm tech at a hyvee foods store makes........I currently work in a hospital pharmacy and was considering going to a retail pharmacy. If anyone can give me details that knows firsthand that would be great! Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kathy in Charlottesville, Virginia

81 months ago

In this city, it seems that pay scale varies greatly ($9-$15/hr). I've found Target (retail) pays more than the hospital (IV room) I work in. But retail or hospital, all organizations tend to acknowledge years of experience and certification. In VA, we have 2 certifications: state & national. State's way cheaper & faster. National is the gold standard & not all organizations require it. (Typically, if they don't require it, they won't compensate you in pay.)

The only advice I can give for the Top 200 Drugs: Memorize, memorize, memorize. Don't get too discouraged, once you start working, they become easier because you actually work w/ them.

Good luck to all who are working towards becoming a PT!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

john in San Diego, California

81 months ago

I am training to be a tech ive finished the 26 week course but I am faced with a tough situation I have somewhat of a record and they are misdomeanors, I am afraid to apply to the externship , I havent commited any violent crimes I have dui on my record should i still go for it , any comments or advice may help thanx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

john in Eden Prairie, Minnesota

81 months ago

john in San Diego, California said: I am training to be a tech ive finished the 26 week course but I am faced with a tough situation I have somewhat of a record and they are misdomeanors, I am afraid to apply to the externship , I havent commited any violent crimes I have dui on my record should i still go for it , any comments or advice may help thanx

honestly...Youll never be a pharmacy tech...but it never
hurts to apply, do not let that hold you up...you already
know what the answer is going to be anyway...

Even if pharmacy techs were in the shortest demand on this planet,
you would never be hired because of your record. I have been
to school, I have no record, and ive been looking for nearly 2
years for a pharmacy tech job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

Della in White Cottage, Ohio

81 months ago

I am in penn foster for Pharm Tech and I was wondering how do the Techs read the sloppy prescription orders. Does the doctor get angry if you have to call every time you get his order because you can't read it. Need some answers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

michele in Grand Rapids, Michigan

81 months ago

hi, i've just recently become a pham Tech. and i was wondering, does anyone knows of ways that i could improve on typing prescriptions, as in solution forms, eye drops the more complicated ones that i have to figure out and stuff? I know the basic ones as in capsules and tablets but that's it.

Also another thing is i need help on insurance plan IDs. That's hard to look at. Is there any practice out there that i could use to help me?

Thanks a lot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

John in Eden Prairie, Minnesota

81 months ago

Della in White Cottage, Ohio said: I am in penn foster for Pharm Tech and I was wondering how do the Techs read the sloppy prescription orders. Does the doctor get angry if you have to call every time you get his order because you can't read it. Need some answers.

It does take practice to read their junk prescriptions sometimes, practice makes perfect..im sure you will not
be working alone either, if you run into something like
that, then ask a PT that has more exp, or ask your pharmacist,
if by chance he/she cant read it, then call the doctors office
and explain to them its hard to read...would you rather kill a child because you could not read the order correctly, or upset the doctors office because you had to call them?? I think thats a no brainer...and you would not upset them by calling them, they would perfer you not kill anyone at all. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lucy in Louisville, Kentucky

81 months ago

Hi. I'm currently in a 10 week Pharmacy Tech. cert. class and was wondering; what the job demand is like here in Louisville i.e hospital/retail. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Kathleen in Charlottesville, Virginia

80 months ago

Sloppy writing...LOL...yep, that comes w/ the territory & reading it is basically EXPERIENCE. Some doctors (and their nurses) do get irate but, hey, if they wrote legibly, someone wouldn't have to call & verify.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Carmen in Memphis, Tennessee

80 months ago

Is it necessary to become a pharmacist tech before becoming a pharmacist

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida

80 months ago

Carmen in Memphis, Tennessee said: Is it necessary to become a pharmacist tech before becoming a pharmacist

6 years of college is required to become a pharmacist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Maheshwar in Bombay, India

80 months ago

I have completed my Diploma in pharmacy after Intermediate (10+2 Equivalent with Biology, Physics, Chemistry)in India. Can I eligible to work as a pharmacy technician in USA?. If not, please give details.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

JoAnn in Houston, Texas

80 months ago

Im thinking about taking the online course for PT with University of Phoenix. Truthfully....is it harder online than it is in a classroom? And is it somewhat difficult to actually get a job once done with the course?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jackie

80 months ago

i dont think it is much harder, i guess it depends on your learning style. i heard that soon it will be required to have your associates degree, but i'm not sure if that is national or just here in tx.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tony in Chula Vista, California

79 months ago

I have 2 Dui's that are over ten years old will I be able to get a pharmacy tech license in california and find employment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dana in Hamilton, Ohio

79 months ago

rachel in Claremont, New Hampshire said: I am interested in becoming a pharmacist technician.I was told you have to good at math and science? is that true? and could somebody tell me what I would be doing during training and what i would be doin when I do get a job???!!!

You should check out a school in your area called TechSkills, they have a specific training course for Pharmacy Technician, only takes about 32 weeks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Marie in Ashtabula, Ohio

79 months ago

If someone has a record that is expunged would that mess up them trying to become a pharmacy tech?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

So you want to become a pharmacy tech? may I ask why? what draws people to this low paying, and high stress job market?

I have been working as a pharmacy tech for about a month now. over the last few days, ive noticed the lead tech having break downs, and she has 12 years of experiance...

If i was a betting person, I would say a high number of people that
do become pharmacy techs, only a small % will stay in the field. You have to be very good, you have to be fairly fast, and smart enough
to know what you are doing, even if you never been in the field before.

If you think you are just going to count pills and slap labels on bottles, well im here to burst your bubble, this is a high stress
job field, any monkey can pull from stock, count pills, and run the register, you are constantly interupted by silly phone calls from people "is my med ready" you have to deal with doctors on the phone, customers calling in "why is my med not ready" you constantly deal with customers at the register "why did insurance not pay" and they know good and well that their insurance never paid for their med to begin with...I had a really pissed off customer today, his insurance paid for one, and not the other, he said what the @##$, "I cant have one without the other" the insurance did not want to pay for the other...well you can not have a car without the gas, and no one is surely going to buy the gas for you...oh, your not done...the computer system can be very complex gettings scripts in, trying to figure out why insurance claims did not go through, then explain to the customer insurance would not pay..then you go through the same story with them..."This is covered by my insurance" NO, its not...and it does not matter what they say or think, if insurance says no, then its NO, either pay cash price or get the doctor to write for a generic if available...one person got rejected by insurance on abilify...$400 cash price...

If you are not a quick learner, this is not for you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

SHOGUN in Los Angeles, California

79 months ago

angela in Everett, Washington said: I am currently enrolled in Penn Foster. I am having trouble learning the name brand and generic. Any tips on learning all of those.

Best advice is use flash cards, repeating the names after time will allow you to grasp them and remember them forever.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

EB in Louisville, Kentucky

79 months ago

Wow VRose, sounds like you got into a bad environment. I became a certified pharmacy tech while working as a Facility Manager. I hated working in facilities; that was stressful. I enjoy working as a tech now. I had my certification for about a year before I actually started working as a tech. I work in an institutional care facility for the mentally retarded. I find it very rewarding. Not only do I pull daily meds, but I make IVs and compound something almost every day.

I don't think retail would be a good environment for me... plus retail pay is not as good as institutional or hospital. Most institutional care facilities and hospitals want certified techs, though.

Angela, ss far as learning generic vs. name brands... flash cards are a great idea, but get a friend to quiz you too. Read all the labels on your personal meds. It's not as daunting as you think... good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

EB in Louisville, Kentucky said: Wow VRose, sounds like you got into a bad environment. I became a certified pharmacy tech while working as a Facility Manager. I hated working in facilities; that was stressful. I enjoy working as a tech now. I had my certification for about a year before I actually started working as a tech. I work in an institutional care facility for the mentally retarded. I find it very rewarding. Not only do I pull daily meds, but I make IVs and compound something almost every day.

I don't think retail would be a good environment for me... plus retail pay is not as good as institutional or hospital. Most institutional care facilities and hospitals want certified techs, though.

I knew i did not like retail well before i even started. I hate the fact that ball babies, and cheap scapes come in and wine and cry about how much their med is, or the insurance should be paying and not...they think for some reason we control the insurance factor, and we are at fault because their med was just $20 less last month...one old guy leaves out of the pharmacy with the feeling that we just ripped him off and lied to him because he swears up and down insurance should have picked up the tab...and he claims up and down insurance has always paid and insurance rarely picks up the tab on OTC products like zyrtec, at one time zyrtech did need a prescription, but not anymore, and insurance will rarely cover it...

I so hate the retail side, but I put up with it...I
would much rather be in-pt and work with IV's...

its bad enough having to stand for 8 hours day dealing
with nut cases, but bad pay also? some days are not that
bad. I did a couple 4 hour jobs at other stores, it was
hardly busy at all...If i can keep up on pill count then
its not busy...

hopefully one day i can sneak into hospital retail, then
from there sneak into in-pt IV....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

better_life in Saint Paul, Minnesota

78 months ago

Hello everyone:

I believe you have your skill and knowledge to get your favorite job in the field you like most. In the current market, everyone all knows the competitive atmosphere of more applicants apply for less opening positions. During the time you can get a right one, you can start some comfortable job as your own business without a lot of money and time to investment, but you also make an great opportunity of money. How can you do that? If you are serious about making money, please contact me by email: vinhsdream@shaklee.net

Best wishes,

Vinh Hoang

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Gail McCartney in Milton Keynes, United Kingdom

78 months ago

You should come to England it's not half as bad as you get it. No insurance queries at all just the nurses asking if t.t.o's are ready.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

William in Long Beach, California

78 months ago

Don't freak out, that will be your demise if you do

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hibo ahmed

78 months ago

i really really love this site, because it gives me all the answers to the questions i have in mind.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Crystal Ricard in Havana, Florida

78 months ago

I'M ALSO AT PENN FOSTER TAKING PT, AND I WAS WONDERING R U AT THE CAREER SCHOOL OR THE COLLEGE AND DO U KNOW IF IT MATTERS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Crystal Ricard in Havana, Florida

78 months ago

I'm also at Penn Foster taking PT classes, I was wondering if u r at the career school or the college, and does it matter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ran in San Diego, California

77 months ago

Tony in Chula Vista, California said: I have 2 Dui's that are over ten years old will I be able to get a pharmacy tech license in california and find employment.

I wanna be a pharmacy tech and I'm 20. I got a DUI when I was 17 and it was a misdemeanor not a felony.. would I be able to get employed?

Ran

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (101) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.