have anyone taken the pharmacy technician class from the ROP??

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 84)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

lily in San Diego, California

75 months ago

if anyone has taken the pharmacy technician class from the ROP or Grossmont Adult School pls let me know if the program is any good. thx.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (102) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Brenda

75 months ago

First off paying 10,000 is stupid to pay for the same class you can get for free through ROP. I only except externships from ROP. I think ROP is the best choice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

lily in San Diego, California

75 months ago

Brenda said: First off paying 10,000 is stupid to pay for the same class you can get for free through ROP. I only except externships from ROP. I think ROP is the best choice.

Hi Brenda. Thanks for the response. May I ask you why you only accept externships from ROP? Also do you work in a San Diego hospital setting? Just wondering where ROP students go for their externships. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

pheng in San Diego, California

69 months ago

lily in San Diego, California said: if anyone has taken the pharmacy technician class from the ROP or Grossmont Adult School pls let me know if the program is any good. thx.

i want to take pharmcy class

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

sistor in Tualatin, Oregon

69 months ago

lily in San Diego, California said: if anyone has taken the pharmacy technician class from the ROP or Grossmont Adult School pls let me know if the program is any good. thx.

I just completed the 13 week Pharm Tech program through Vista Adult School which cost $30 to sign up plus the additional cost of your work/study book which was approximately $90 through Barnes and Noble. The program did NOT have an internship so now nearly ALL of the 42 people who attended and finished the minimum hours of class time are sc---ed. No one will hire a pharmacy tech who has NO EXPERIENCE. However, the other programs which take 8 to 11 months to complete are way overrated and ridiculously expensive. Anyone who reads and studies the NPTC exam review workbook which is available at most bookstores, can take the national exam without taking the Pharmacy Technician courses. YES, it is true!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

jean in Victorville, California

69 months ago

CPhT, RXT Trainer in El Cajon, California said: But you are forgetting the fact that to get the California license you need at least 240 hours of formal classroom instruction, as required by the CA Board of Pharmacy. Having the CPhT license alone is not enough for you to work in California or anywhere else. Remember too, that the national license is NOT yet mandatory or required as of the date of this writing and may take several years before it will be. You still need the CA license to work as an RXT, which means you need a certificate or diploma from either an accredited school or even, as you advocate, the ROP.

Is ROP accredited?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

CPhT, RXT Trainer in El Cajon, California

67 months ago

jean in Victorville, California said: Is ROP accredited?

yes. But contrary to what most people say, mainline hospitals tend to hire RXTs who have diplomas or certificates from Private Vocational Training Schools bec. they have more accountability from the State Board of Education.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

christine atchison in apple valley, California

65 months ago

jean in Victorville, California said: Is ROP accredited?

Hello what rop school did you attent. I will be attending sch. in Jan. at cypress acd. in Hesperia. Do you mind sharing some information regarding the class in general.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

19 years old in Oakland, California

65 months ago

CPhT, RXT Trainer in El Cajon, California said: yes. But contrary to what most people say, mainline hospitals tend to hire RXTs who have diplomas or certificates from Private Vocational Training Schools bec. they have more accountability from the State Board of Education.

So if i took an ROP class would i still be able to find a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Victorville, California

65 months ago

hello grandmother.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

susan in Sun City, California

65 months ago

CPhT, RXT Trainer in El Cajon, California said: But you are forgetting the fact that to get the California license you need at least 240 hours of formal classroom instruction, as required by the CA Board of Pharmacy. Having the CPhT license alone is not enough for you to work in California or anywhere else. Remember too, that the national license is NOT yet mandatory or required as of the date of this writing and may take several years before it will be. You still need the CA license to work as an RXT, which means you need a certificate or diploma from either an accredited school or even, as you advocate, the ROP.

The CA St Board of Pharmacy application asks you to check how you are qualified---PTCB certificate is one of the ways. Yes you need the 240 hrs for the "schools", But the application doesn't say PTCB plus 240 hrs.

Not saying you would have it easy finding a job, but maybe you could work at a place, transfer to RX clerk and eventually be hired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

susan in Sun City, California

65 months ago

I prefer ROP students to the private expensive schools. Just my experience as a hospital pharmacist. Could just be the area I am in. I once worked for an management group that owned a school. The stuff they told prospective students...not lies but not truth

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Susan in San Diego, California

65 months ago

I took the Pharmacy Tech. class from ROP/Grossmont last year. It is my understanding that East County ROP is no longer offering it, but it is being offered by the Grossmont Union High School District. In order to enroll in the Pharmacy Technician class, I first had to take their MEDICAL PROFESSIONS EXPLORATION class. (I don't know if that requirement is still in place.) Check ROP/Grossmont's website and call for updated info. They had an exceptional teacher for that class, she was concerned about all her students being placed in externships and getting their state licenses. Hope that helps.

sistor in Tualatin, Oregon

65 months ago

I would stongly advise that you do not sign up for an ROP or Adult Education Pharmacy Technician course until you make sure there is in fact an externship offered and guaranteed. The Pharmacy Technician course offered through Vista Adult School in San Diego County has dropped the externship leaving their students high and dry. It is a major drawback for what has been a relatively good course until now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

cdm in Oceanside, California

63 months ago

I took course through Grossmont Rop a few years ago. Everyone knew, going in, that they would need to set up their own externship. I started with SavOn Drug stores and worked as a clerk until I received my license. Most pharmacies will give some training & though it cannot be used as "school hours" it does help with other things you need to know. It is best to work as clerk while going to school as you learn to calculate drug dosages in your head at a rapid pace and if you are in error the pharmacist will show you where you may have gone wrong with those numbers. Remember you are not just counting pills, you are calculating how much of a certain med is needed, when mixed, to be the right dose for adults, children, babies, dogs and even birds! Most pharmacies will take people in for free since externship is unpaid. If you are smart and lucky you will get hired as a clerk, even at the front of the store letting the mgr and pharm mgr know you are attending classes. that way, you get to work in pharmacy when needed, get your hours and make money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

adobolosan in Chula Vista, California

63 months ago

Hello! I've worked as a pharmacy technician in hospital at arkansas for almost 2years. We've move here in california, i need to get a CA RXTech license. Can anybody tell me where can i enroll ROP pharmacy tech, private school is expensive. I live at chula vista, ca.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jm_122 in Chula Vista, California

63 months ago

Is there a training/educational difference in what they teach at an ROP vs. a vocational trade school? Is on accredited and the other isn't? From what I've been reading, the only disadvantage for the ROP program is that they don't offer the externship programs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ex-rx tech in San Diego, California

62 months ago

Most places will not hire you if your not both licensed and certified by the state of california. Take my advise, do not work in the retail setting, instead work in a hospital pharmacy or mail in service pharmacy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Redlands, California

62 months ago

Hospital pharmacist here. I prefer ROP students to the vocational school. Could just be luck of the draw. Private school students have bought all the not truths to justify spending tons of money. If you are young and bright don't waste your time in an expensive school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sandra craig in Victorville, California

62 months ago

how do i find a rop class for the pharmacy tech in victorville?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

StephR522 in Victorville, California

62 months ago

Susan in Redlands, California said: Hospital pharmacist here. I prefer ROP students to the vocational school. Could just be luck of the draw. Private school students have bought all the not truths to justify spending tons of money. If you are young and bright don't waste your time in an expensive school.

HI. I WAS JUST WONDERING IF YOU COULD POSSIBLY GIVE ME ANY INFO ON HOW TO FIND A PHARMCACY TECH ROP CLASS IN MY AREA, VICTORVILLE, CA. AND IF I WILL RECEIVE EVERYTHING THAT I NEED BY FINISHING AN ROP CLASS? I AM VERY INTERESTED IN BECOMING A PHARMACY TECH AND I WOULD LIKE TO DO IT ASAP. ANY INFORMATION YOU CAN GIVE ME WOULD BE AMAZING!!! THANKS SO MUCH

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Hemet, California

62 months ago

Hi,
Try calling the local school district. San Bernardino and Riverside school districts have ROP programs.
good luck--DO NOT spend 10, 20 or 20+ K for a school.

diane in Sun City, California

61 months ago

Here's a link to rop in riverside, I don't they've started classes yet, hope it helps.

www.rcoe.us/rop/index.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

StephR522 in Victorville, California said: HI. I WAS JUST WONDERING IF YOU COULD POSSIBLY GIVE ME ANY INFO ON HOW TO FIND A PHARMACY TECH ROP CLASS IN MY AREA, VICTORVILLE, CA. AND IF I WILL RECEIVE EVERYTHING THAT I NEED BY FINISHING AN ROP CLASS? I AM VERY INTERESTED IN BECOMING A PHARMACY TECH AND I WOULD LIKE TO DO IT ASAP. ANY INFORMATION YOU CAN GIVE ME WOULD BE AMAZING!!! THANKS SO MUCH

the info you seek is @ Victor Valley Union High School District. Regional Occupational Programs-16350 Mojave Drive, Building #9, Victorville. go in and the receptionist will show you a paper of the list of the ROP classes for fall/spring 2009. Pharmacy tech isn't an offered Rop class this year but maybe she can hook you up with another connection in a different district but for Victorville area, its the address listed above. good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

diane in Sun City, California

61 months ago

susan in Sun City, California said: I prefer ROP students to the private expensive schools. Just my experience as a hospital pharmacist. Could just be the area I am in. I once worked for an management group that owned a school. The stuff they told prospective students...not lies but not truth

Do you know if your job would offer an externship? Or an idea of where I could try to do an internship?

mikey in San Diego, California

61 months ago

Iam a current student at Grossmon Rop for the pharmacy tech course and let me tell you. I love everything about pharmacy and this is the place to be especially if you dont got money to spend. You get the same education as you would get from UEI OR PIMA but its way cheaper. The only down fall is you have to look for your externship.

Susan in Menifee, California

61 months ago

Diane,
The hospital I am familiar with only takes students from Schools they have contracts with. ROP, UEI, & Boston Reed are a few. The hospital in your city, might take students, check with them. Check with it's sister hospitall, they have someone in the pharmacy who works with the students.

mikey in San Diego, California

61 months ago

Susan in Menifee, California said: Diane,
The hospital I am familiar with only takes students from Schools they have contracts with. ROP, UEI, & Boston Reed are a few. The hospital in your city, might take students, check with them. Check with it's sister hospitall, they have someone in the pharmacy who works with the students.

Hi Susan =] Do you think i can do an externship with your hospital. Iam currently attending Grossmont health occupations center in Santee CA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Deborah Gardner in Monrovia, California

60 months ago

Brenda said: First off paying 10,000 is stupid to pay for the same class you can get for free through ROP. I only except externships from ROP. I think ROP is the best choice.

Where is a good school to go to? for pharmacy tech?

Deborah Gardner in Monrovia, California

60 months ago

sistor in Tualatin, Oregon said: I just completed the 13 week Pharm Tech program through Vista Adult School which cost $30 to sign up plus the additional cost of your work/study book which was approximately $90 through Barnes and Noble. The program did NOT have an internship so now nearly ALL of the 42 people who attended and finished the minimum hours of class time are sc---ed. No one will hire a pharmacy tech who has NO EXPERIENCE. However, the other programs which take 8 to 11 months to complete are way overrated and ridiculously expensive. Anyone who reads and studies the NPTC exam review workbook which is available at most bookstores, can take the national exam without taking the Pharmacy Technician courses. YES, it is true!!!!

Which is a good book to get for the the pharmacy tech exam?

Robyn in Victorville, California

60 months ago

I have been a tech for 22 years and in all the hiring processes i have been involved in the rop program does not teach math. They have you study on your own, I have had to take alot of time to teach them the math because they do not know. A decimal point makes a hugh difference between life and death. If I were you I would find an accredited school go apply for grants and they are easy to get cuz groverment has to give money away. When I have a choice to hire from ROP or a school I always hire from the school. The tuition is tax deductible, so dont be afraid and good luck. robyn California

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Cortes_0404 in Fontana, California

60 months ago

diane in Sun City, California said: Here's a link to rop in riverside, I don't they've started classes yet, hope it helps.

www.rcoe.us/rop/index.html

I have a question I got certified at a ROP Course in Ontario, But it was wondering if anyone new any union for Pharmacy Technician and what do they required??? Thank You.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Hopeful in San Diego, California

58 months ago

Hi
I am very confused about what the best training would be. I was thinking about UEI, but then I heard about ROP. Does that provide you with the 240 hours necessary? I would like the best training possible. Do you think UEI is a waste of 8 months though?

Also, I'm a little nervous about the post on mental math. I made all A's in my math classes and went through calculus, but I'm very slow at mental math and it makes me nervous. Do you have to be fast with it? Are you allowed to use calculators? Also, does UEI teach or review the math? It's been forever since I was in a course!

I really appreciate any help or advice you could give me. Thank you

58 months ago

Dear Hopeful,

I am curious why you want to be a tech? UEI is a lot of money. ROP is cheaper. Tech jobs are scarce, go the cheapest route. Why pay a school to review your math, check out free websites and cheap workbooks.
Good Luck

58 months ago

Hi,
I want to be a tech because I think I would really enjoy the work. Why, do I not sound like I want to be a tech or something? Is there another job we're talking about on this forum?

I read a statistic that said tech jobs are increasing 34 percent to 2016. If tech jobs are scarce, why are so many people on this forum interested in it?

UEI is a lot of money, but they really teach you with hands on experience. The professors are either pharmacy techs or pharmacists. They even pay for you to take the national board exam and set you up in an externship. They maintain relationships with many of the hospitals and pharmacies in the area. They also teach you the software that pharmacies are using for their medications. Do the ROPS do this? I don't consider it paying for math. Of course I will review by myself with books or on-line. I was just curious if they do it at all.

I haven't found much information on ROP programs where I live. One just had the class title and days. So far, my search has found that UEI seems to be the best for training. I don't want to look for a job without much training or experience.

Thank you for your advice. I would appreciate it if you could tell me more about the ROP programs. Are they accredited and do they provide the 240 hours training needed in CA? Thanks!

LA in Redlands, California

58 months ago

UEI is fine but it is expensive. Can't remember if it was 10k or 20k. Frankly the best hands on training is at the worksite. One of my best friends is a tech who has been on several advisory boards. More impressive sounding than it is. The economy sucks now, I wouldn't believe 100% the sales pitch of any school. Pretend you are qualified to be a tech today; try finding a place that is hiring and not laying off. Last I know of, 2 positions in Victorville,I believe it was a correctional facility. It would have decent pay and benefits. I heard from a new pharmacist grad, even new pharmacists are not having an easy time getting jobs. Another of my friends teaches for Boston Reed. She credits me for getting her the job. The program covers rather well, students do have externships.

If you have math through calculus, why not continue the regular college route. You will have more options in the future.

LA in Redlands, California

58 months ago

Dear Hopeful,
Best of luck. Look at all your educational options. Don't give up, find what is best for you.
LA aka Susan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Hi
Thanks for the information! I went to an elite private college for two years, but I had to quit due to health reasons. I thought about finishing school where I currently live, but not all of my credits would transfer. I was so mad because I worked incredibly hard and two years there is much more difficult than four years at UC or state schools. My friends at UCLA were having a blast while my (now husband) and I only had time for studying and writing our papers. It would take me forever to graduate and I'm just not up to it. I would rather work and do something that I enjoy.

I'm hoping that after my tech training, I will feel good enough to have a part-time job somewhere. Thanks for your advice. I will look around for jobs before I start UEI. Do you know if Boston Reed or those ROP programs are accredited?

Thanks!

58 months ago

Hi Susan,
If the money for UEI wasn't a concern, would you do the program?

58 months ago

Only graduates of accredited programs may be licensed and I know licensed techs from ROP, Boston Reed and UEI. I giggled CA pharmacy technician license and quickly found the PDF with license requirements. You will see that schools require extern hours. You will also see that the last option to qualify is pass the CPT exam. Tech work can be very physical and while a mistake can killl someone, it is usually not mentally stimulating. I do know of techs who work in billing and for insurance companies. If cost doesn't matter, any school is probably fine. UEI seems to start the license process faster than Boston Reed, but not sure that a few weeks earlier is worth the price.
Sorry your units don't transfer.

58 months ago

Sorry for the typos. Need to get on computer and off iPhone giggles don't goggle

58 months ago

Hi
Is the PTCB exam and the ExCPT exam the same or do you need both? I'm getting confused because some sites say PTCB and others say ExCPT. The state requirement page says the EcCPT. Which do I need?

Do you know if the SDSU Pharmacy Technician program is very good? They have one regular class that is 50 hours (only 7 classrooms hours a week) for a little over a month. Then they have a 240 hour online program.

Do some people get a little training, get a job and then get the 240 hour requirement through the job? Do you think only a 50 hour class would give you all the training you need?

Sorry for so many questions! I really appreciate your help

58 months ago

Looks like official test name is ExCPT. I thought my coworker knew something about the sdsu course, but she didn't. It seems similar to Boston Reed in that the school rents space and has the college do the advertising. Externship hours, when required, are to be completed to get the license. I really couldn't figure out how they satisfy externship. I read something about 40 hrs-that's hardly enough to know you way around the pharmacy physically. I wonder if the course prepares you for the test and you qualify that way?
Job market is terrible right now. Layoffs for techs. :(. I think that a lot is learned on the job. College is always proof the applicant has desire to learn,IMHO.

Kari McMurdy in Boca Raton, Florida

58 months ago

I need a job to be at home with my 3 year old daughter. NO SCAMS PLEASE! Does anyone have an idea? I would prefer to be online and not talking to people on phones really.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

michael yanez in Houston, Texas

58 months ago

I just completed my online course and the cost of tuition was not as expensive as other local community college, Allied schools is very highly recommended overall, www.pharmacytrainingonline.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

pierce in Fresno, California

58 months ago

I just graduated from highschool, but im not 18 years old. Is it still possible for me to get a job as a pharmacy technician? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

nennet511 in Agoura Hills, California

58 months ago

pheng in San Diego, California said: i want to take pharmcy class

hi ! good afternoon, its not about me its about my hubby he is really under pressure reviewing his incoming national lic exam, he is actually good but he has problem in math. can you give me some advice about the nat. lic for PT. thanks and God bless you

newdream1 in Covina, California

58 months ago

hi,
can anyone tell me about the background checks for pharm tech in california?
i have a dui and some dumb drug thing from 10+ years ago. Can this affect me from getting my license?
please help!
thanks for your time!
God Bless!

syed in Lawrenceville, Georgia

58 months ago

i tutor pplz for pharmacy technican certification board exam(ptcb).i can teach u maths,details r like total maths course is 52$.duration 1 to 2 days, 7 to 8 hr per day...first we will do 2 chapter then u will pay the bill then we proceed ...i m ptcb certified ..its online and payment will be through paypal....if any body interested email me at salmanzeeshan09@gmail.com .....

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.