PTCB and Pharmacy Technician License Question..

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (23)

BJ in Washington, District of Columbia

31 months ago

JJ in Davis, California said: Hello everyone , I am kind of confuse ... about the Pharmacy Tech license and the PTCB .. This is my situation I almost end with my Pharmacy Tech Program (Boston Reed College) so with that I can apply for the Pharmacy Technician License in California (Using the 240 hours or training or school option in the application from) , at the same time I have my PTCBE next month ... so my concert is do you actually need both to get job ? or do you get better pay if you pass the PTCBE? o doest matter at all as long you have you pharmacy tech license?

Thanks so much in advance

JJ

You need to have PTCB certification or education to obtain a license. Please refer to the State Board of Pharmacy website and here is a section from the Pharmacy Law Book:
Regulations; Criminal Background Check; Discipline
(a)
The board may issue a pharmacy technician license to an individual if he or she is a high school graduate or possesses a general educational development certificate equivalent, and meets any one of the following requirements:
(1)
Has obtained an associate's degree in pharmacy technology.
(2)
Has completed a course of training specified by the board.
(3)
Has graduated from a school of pharmacy recognized by the board.
(4)
Is certified by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

In California Education or passing the PTCB/PTCE is a requirement for licensing. You may wan to visit the State Board of Pharmacy website and read the Pharmacy Law Book under Laws and Regulations. The regulation states:
Regulations; Criminal Background Check; Discipline
(a)
The board may issue a pharmacy technician license to an individual if he or she is a high school graduate or possesses a general educational development certificate equivalent, and meets any one of the following requirements:
(1)
Has obtained an associate's degree in pharmacy technology.
(2)
Has completed a course of training specified by the board.
(3)
Has graduated from a school of pharmacy recognized by the board.
(4)
Is certified by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board.
(b)
The board shall adopt regulations pursuant to this section for the licensure of pharmacy technicians and for the specification of training courses as set out in paragraph (2) of subdivision (a). Proof of the qualifications of any applicant for licensure as a pharmacy technician shall be made to the satisfaction of the board and shall be substantiated by any evidence required by the board.
(c)
The board shall conduct a criminal background check of the applicant to determine if an applicant has committed acts that would constitute grounds for denial of licensure, pursuant to this chapter or Chapter 2 (commencing with Section 480) of Division 1.5.
(d)
The board may suspend or revoke a license issued pursuant to this section on any ground specified in Section 4301.
(e)
Once licensed as a pharmacist, the pharmacy technician registration is no longer valid and the pharmacy technician license shall be returned to the board within 15 days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jimmy Yang in Davis, California

31 months ago

Oh wow thanks for the fast reply , so just to make sure if I done with the program I can still get the Pharmacy tech CA license right? and what is the point having the PTCB them? do you get better pay because your National Certify ? or with that is easier to find job?

PS: Really need job T_T

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

Jimmy Yang in Davis, California said: Oh wow thanks for the fast reply , so just to make sure if I done with the program I can still get the Pharmacy tech CA license right? and what is the point having the PTCB them? do you get better pay because your National Certify ? or with that is easier to find job?

PS: Really need job T_T

Was it a training program or Associates Degree program? Was the training program one listed by the State Board of Pharmacy? Some technicians prefer the PTCE because of cost and recognition in other states if they need to transfer, others prefer training and others prefer to have both which could help in advancing their career as a Pharmacy technician. It all depends on the technician. You may want to contact the State Board of Pharmacy with other questions for example preference between training and/or education. In terms of a job you might want to contact/visit their websites: the California Pharmacists Association or the California Society of Health-System Pharmacists. Sometimes becoming a member of either Association can help in finding a job faster. You may also want to visit PTCB's facebook and start a chat about seeking a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

Oh wow thanks so much , well according to my in instructor after we finish the program we can apply for the CA Pharmacy technician license using the "Completed 240 hours of instruction as specified in Tittle 16 California Code of Regulations Section 1793.6" so I am assuming is just training program ( I am current student of Psychology ) so hopefully by the time I done with my Masters or B.S I can become Pharmacy Tech instructor ... (Look like pretty fun job and some people said that is good pay.. but for now I really new some experience..) any tips on the PTCBE? I know most of the math formulas and the law ... the drugs I am kind of know but not all ..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

A.A. in Fresno, California said: Which location are you taking the Pharm Tech Program? I wanted to take it through Boston Reed, but was hesitant bc of the bad reviews I read. How is your experience? Would YOU recommend it?

To answer part of your question, people who take the PTCB and pass are a better candidate for a job position than someone who does not. Plus, you get paid a little bit more. I think that with the training received from Boston Reed, you are qualified to submit an application to get ur CA license.

Yeah I just find that out LOL with CPhT u actually get raise of 3-5 bucks with is very good and back to your question I am taking the PTCBE in 2 weeks and yeah Boston Reed College in Davis is pretty cool I mean is not the instructor its about u ... u have to do urself study and what u dont understand go and ask the instructor .. Mr. Reyes is pretty cool make the class not boring which is good since is a lot but a lot of material to study...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

natalia in Rome, Italy

30 months ago

helllo all! my name is Natlalia i am looking to take the pharmacy tech test when i get back to the states about the middle of July. i am in Italy visiting family. However i have a question about the material to study for the test. Is there anybody who has taken the test within the last couple of months that can give me an understanding of what all is on the test? Could you email me a study guide that you possible used? All help is appreciated! Thanks so much in advance! God Bless! :)

Natalia

email me at nataliaabellaa@hotmail.com thanks so much!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

A.A. in Fresno, California

30 months ago

Hey Jimmy, when will you be done with the Pharm Tech program? Have u started your externship yet? How's the whole experience with Boston Reed afterall? Wish u best of luck with ur career!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

hmg in Mountain View, California

29 months ago

so by taking boston reed college all you have to do next is to get your license right? or you still have to take the exam?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

JCI in Pacifica, California

29 months ago

what you do next after passing the class is your externship, after that.. then you apply for your certificate. you'll be license pharmacy technician in that state only.

if you take the test to be certified, it will look a little bit better.. higher pay and t + you can take that anywhere you go in the state. =)

i love boston reed. =) the class was very interesting. i had a good teacher. plus you cant complain about the price. good luck!

28 months ago

Overall is ok the school but is really hard to get job x_x in top of that the license takes FOREVER ! 3 weeks already and nothing ...

Kimberly in Houston, Texas

28 months ago

I have a question I signed up for my PTCB exam(of which I am very nervous to take because I suck at MATH!) and I was wondering that if do pass it will I still be getting trained or not?

hmg in Fresno, California

28 months ago

Kimberly in Houston, Texas said: I have a question I signed up for my PTCB exam(of which I am very nervous to take because I suck at MATH!) and I was wondering that if do pass it will I still be getting trained or not?

Go to this site Idk if it will help www.pharmacy-tech-study.com/

27 months ago

hmg in Fresno, California said: Go to this site Idk if it will help www.pharmacy-tech-study.com/

Thank you I took the PTCB exam .. but I failed I am so upset right now but I'm not going to give up, I just need to wait to see my results and see my main weakness and maybe even get a study buddy there were so many things I studied that weren't even on there and I even took Pharmacy Tech class one and two for two years!!!!! I feel like I totally wasted my time taking those classes :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

hmg in Fresno, California

27 months ago

Which ones do you think you were weak on or got stuck on? Im still studying before I sign up for the exam read the whole text book from the review exams and going to reread if you want a partner to study im there mainyia2011@gmail.com

27 months ago

I got stuck on the math and some questions that had to deal with inventory that I had never seen and thank you! I was actually looking for a study partner or something to help me.

Rachel in Lodi, California

26 months ago

Hi there, I have done pharmacy tech course in Boston reed from Oct 2011 to Mar 2012.
In April, I already started my internship and finished in May. I applied my license with letter from school which took almost 3 weeks after my internship. My license process was taken almost 3months due to so many reasons. I started applying job since during my application is in process. I got clear in BOP website in Sep 6th. 2 days later I got job interview. 2 weeks later, I got license in mail. Now I m going to take PTCB eam on Oct 6th. In Oct 8th, I m going to start my new job as Pharmacy Technician in retail pharmacy.
My point is "yes, you can get job and you can be a licensed pharmacy technician without PTCB certificate or being certified pharmacy technician. But, the pay might be a little bit different and the first impression with your future employer will be a little bit different in very competitive job market today I think. I took almost a year to get this .... attending school, study, learning in my internship, self-study for exam..... believe in yourself and try your best!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rn to pt in Irving, Texas

21 months ago

Can anyone tell me if an rn get pt license in texas if rn license has disc. actions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MarvinS in Los Angeles, California

15 months ago

Anyone looking to get a job as a Pharmecy Tech read this article:

www.jobunlocker.com/blog/how-to-get-a-job-as-a-pharmacy-technician/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ddking11073@hotmail.com in Dallas, Texas

9 months ago

Kimberly in Houston, Texas said: Thank you I took the PTCB exam .. but I failed I am so upset right now but I'm not going to give up, I just need to wait to see my results and see my main weakness and maybe even get a study buddy there were so many things I studied that weren't even on there and I even took Pharmacy Tech class one and two for two years!!!!! I feel like I totally wasted my time taking those classes :(

Hey Kimberly,
Don't you feel that way. I just took test today and I failed it as well. But I'm gonna keep trying. You should too.

Shan in Jackson, Mississippi

5 months ago

I am a foreign pharmacist .Since the exams for getting pharmacist licence(NAPLEX...) are very hard and long I want to start as a pharmacy tech .Any body knows what should I do ? I have my translated Pharmacy diploma .Should I go to pharmacy tech school again ? Please give me information. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

PTCBEASY in San Francsico, California

5 months ago

If you are struggling passing the PTCB exam or scared need that
extra assurance, you are not alone! I have been there! I'm happy
to help! I noticed many books out there make it harder than it needs
to be! You don't need a tutor! You don't need to spend 10k for a
school or 2k for one of those online schools. All you need is the
right tools to pass the exam! I spent countless hours of hard
sweat work to find the right tools that made it easy to understand.
I passed the PTCB exam with flying colors on the first attempt!

Please email me at ptcbeasy@gmail.com
or visit www.ebay.com/usr/wavelightthesmiths

Kathy3423 in los angeles, California

2 months ago

Hi all to those in CA! how long does it take after sending your application that your check is cashed? Thanks in advance! =)

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.