Pharmacy tech school options?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

claudine15 in Los Angeles, California

10 months ago

Hoping to get some good feedback...I'm thinking of going to Pharm Tech school, the goal is to be a Pharm Tech at a drug store or hospital...I am aware of the salary, my husband works and makes a good living however we are trying to pay down debt and we have a mortgage. I am a Medical Assistant and worked in the field for 6 years however we have 4 school age children so working during the day is no longer an option, I'm looking into 3rd shift opportunities and Pharm Tech came to mind. Going to school for nursing is also not an option so my question is....Is the only down side to Pharm Tech careers the salary? Because if so, like I said, I don't need to make $22hr to get by, just something to supplement our income without having to work fast food. I am looking to either get trained at a store, like the program Walgreens offers, or community college local to the Inland Empire/Orange County areas so any experience with that would be helpful as well:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Steven in Little Elm, Texas

10 months ago

I am a pharmacist in Texas. There are certainly advantages and disadvantages to the job (as with any).
There are third shift opportunities available both from hospitals and from 24 hour retail places. I think becoming a pharmacy tech would be a good fit from what you are describing. The schedule opportunities would be the biggest benefit for you.
Many retail pharmacies will allow you to work as a clerk at first where you will work the cash registers and do other non-technical work. This is a fantastic way to get started and immerse yourself in the field. The MA job you currently have will certainly help.

I really would advise against going to a community college if you can get your foot in the door at a pharmacy as a clerk. The CC price is far too expensive for something you could simply study on your own for.

You will want to become certified with the PTCB. They are the certification body for pharmacy technicians and create the exam you will need to study for. I do run an online pharmacy technician study guide that could benefit you. Find it at www.udemy.com/pharmtech You can use the coupon code of grow50 for 1/2 off.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any more specific questions on your situation. You can find me on twitter @pharmtechcourse

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.