Questions for Physical Therapist Assistants, please help me decide if this career is right for me.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 316)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

RR in Newington, Connecticut

69 months ago

how hard is pta school

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (77) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

PTA student in Newport News, Virginia

69 months ago

I suggest you volunteer some hours to get a better insight on how LPN differs from PT. That might help you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

tuaij in Amman, Jordan

68 months ago

I'm so depressed I graduated from physical therapy college with very high degrees but working now as a science teacher for kids ,,,indeed i started to forget the practice of PT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (34) Reply - Report abuse

Tarzana CA in Encino, California

65 months ago

Hi Everyone,

I currently have the same situation I have attended an Lvn school for the last 3 months passing very highly when it comes to the theory part of it. We started clinicals the past 2-weeks and every time I enter a patients room I am scared of what I will face. I come to the conclusion that I want to work with people who are getting better not worse. I decided to check into PTA after observing the PTAs at my clinical site. However here in California there are only 4yr schools to become the PT very few PTA programs except for Concorde wich is 39,000 for 21 months my question is would it be better to do the pt-aide course for 9 months work and challenge the board or would it be best to pay the 39,000.Also there is an entrance test called the HOBBITT does anyone know about that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

stretchem in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

64 months ago

RR in Newington, Connecticut said: how hard is pta school

go over the text books and courses, go to different settings, do you know how to communicate or are you afraid of people ? If you are outgoing and have a good knowledge of the human body and all the different pathologies and modalities and can be a go getter, go for it ! It's as hard as you can handle or as easy as your potential skill, how hard is it, only you can tell !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Tarzana CA in Encino, California

64 months ago

No I cant handle it I have a week stomach to smells I have tried to dodge alot of scenarios I have come into by just changing a patient position. it has been 3- weeks now and let me tell you bodily functions are something you can not prepare your self for or run from in the field of nursing. A lot of older patient are incontient and have severe cases of diarreah due to medications or diet and the majority of them wear diapers. For the most part the CNA's are in charge of clean the patient if the work place has them on staff LVN's have to change and insert catheters and colostomy bags thats just as bad if not worse.

One of my class mates left to go to concorde for PTA im wondering if I should have went to but if I don't become the actual PT what else could i do with this background?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

stretchem in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: I was walking an old man in the acute setting through the parallel bars and he had a #2 accident that splattered on my shoe, can you handle that ? I was in school at the time. If you have to be in an acute setting for clinical can you handle some nasty stuff or will you be able to get out of it ?

dont forget you have many options after your initial year or two

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

the nursing field has many options after the initial year or two ? not everything involves that diaper stuff.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

eric in las vegas in Henderson, Nevada

64 months ago

thank you for the reply stretchem, i just found out, there is only one school here for pta program, which is the las vegas community college.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Current Student PTA said: Hello,I am a current PTA student, I will be graduating in May. I have worked in the PT field as an aide prior to school and have been on a couple clinical rotations, from my expericence no two days are alike when working in PT. Most days are pretty busy but a steady pace, (also depends on which PT area you go into) working with patients you don't even realize how fast time flies. Just a heads up, most PTA degrees are a 2 year program, and it is very hard to maintain working while in school, especially that second year when you are either in clincal or in the classroom. Every state has different laws about the roles PT vs. PTA has, but as for critical thinking, you will do this a lot. Once the PT comes up with the plan of care the PTA can do just about everything a PT can intervention wise to work towards the goals the PT set. As a PTA you chose and carry out what modalities your patient would best benefit from, ultrasound, e-stim, traction, ther ex, stretching etc...It seems as though there are a good amount of jobs out there, as a student I keep an eye out for what opportunities there are. I wish you luck on your PTA journey if you decide to go that route, it's a great feild that is never boring, no two patients are alike!!

Que is right about the PT, pts are great to help, there are various situations and train of thoughts as far as pt care, some PT'S make it hard and some make it easy you will need to visit many facilities to learn your path by asking other pta's. the most important question you should know is that working while in PT is verry difficult if not almost impossible if you want to succeed. You might be able to do it if you cut back on your nursing schedule. I hope you do not have a floating schedule !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

FM in Dallas, Texas

64 months ago

What is the starting pay for Newly Graduate PTA's?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

T-town mom in Tulsa, Oklahoma said: I have been a stay-home-mom for 12 years besides having a part-time job teaching preschool and another at a custom invitation store. I have a bachelor's degree in elementary ed and I taught 2nd grade for 4 years before I had my first child. Teaching kids is really not my passion. I want to have a career that I love. I've been looking into Physical Therapy Assistant. Looked at Occupational Therapy Assistant also but it doesn't sound as much like what I'd like as PTA. In looking at courses that are required, I noticed I'd need Comp 1, some history--stuff I already took during college. I wonder if I'll have to take these again. I know I need to meet with an advisor. I plan to do that. Has anyone gone to PTA school after getting a 4 year college degree? Just curious.

A BS degree is helpful , ie: Anatomy and Physiology 1&2, and Labs, Bio also, Speak to an Advisor first, then the department head of the PTA program or someone who can verify your qualifications. This part may be a little tricky, because both sides are trying to make money for the school. Make sure you know the policy as far as time to retake courses and try to see it in writing if necessary. otherwise, they may add something in your second year like they did to me, like computers, after I spent a year using them for our 50% online inneractive program with another campus. Depending on how long you have been out of school may also be a factor, but I was 25 years removed and they accepted most of my courses. Yes, I had a BS degree and it helped tremendously, there were also a few others and a mom with three daughters who had a lot of support. I think the more mature you are and organized, the better off you will be, at least that's what I noticed, but you must get the family support ! It's an uphill battle when you have a family who depends on you , but just take one step at a time and good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

T-town mom in Tulsa, Oklahoma

64 months ago

stretchem--thanks for your advice. I really appreciate it. I actually have a Bachelor's of Arts in Ed. I had some science since I went to a liberal arts college (you take a variety of courses) but not as many science courses I might have taken if I'd gotten a BS. So we'll see what an advisor from the PTA program at Tulsa Community College says. As soon as my kids start school, I plan to make an appt!

Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Etienne in Stone Mountain, Georgia

64 months ago

I'm happy to be here.I'm a french speaking journalist,I just moved in us.And for real the job market is very touch.I'm thinking of becoming a PTA. But right now i need some expericnce before acceptance into a program. I did last four months CNA and P.C.T(patient care tech).I just enrolled in ashworth college where i'm taking Physical therapy aide program in correspondence.But is going to be so long to have a diploma(two years).But i need a job in a physical therapy field.Can someone tell me where i can volunteer in PT field? some PTA colleges in GA.What do i need to get to PTA program and how is the job market now?
Thanks-

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

TAMMY BRASHING in SARASOTA, Florida

64 months ago

I didnt know how to post the question Ihave. Went for test for CNA and did not pass b ecause tester said I used too many towels for patrtial bed bath. I used two for face with no soap, one to wash the arm, one to rinse the arm, one to wash other arm and rinse other arm, one to wash chest and one to rinse chest, one to wash back and to rinse the back. Total was 10 cloths she said only use 7!!!!!! How the heck do you do that? Anyone with clues on this? having to retest in north port. gee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Vanessa in Brooklyn, New York

64 months ago

Guys...PLS HELP ME OUT...HOW MUCH ARE PTA's MAKING IN NEW YORK? IT'S DEPRESSING THAT I HAVE 11 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE BUT I'M STILL HAVING A HARD TIME LOOKING FOR JOBS THAT WILL PAY ME FOR IT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

MinhYên in Oakland, California

64 months ago

Vanessa,
Do you mean you can't find PTA job at all or you can't find a PTA job the pay of which is worth your experiences?

I'm sorry that I can't help you with your issue, but you may be able to help me. If you say that with all your 11 years of experience and no one hires you, I will have to consider whether PTA is a right path to go. I will be in the program next year. I don't want to end up getting all A's in classes and not being able to find work.

Best wish to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Hannah in Alexandria, Virginia

62 months ago

Aphex in Falls Church, Virginia said: No, it does not. I have a similar story. After being accepted into a nursing school and working as a nurse aide for a few days, I decided that nursing is not for me (mainly because of diapers changings and bottoms wiping, not for blood drawing reasons as I can easily do that). I then started my search for a new career till I heard about the PTA profession. I applied for PTA school and got accepted last year and I will start the PTA program next month (August the 24th at NVCC in Springfield, VA). I'm so excited and scared at the same time. Can anybody here give us some words of encouragement?

Ashraf

Ashraf,

I am preparing to enter the NVCC program next fall 2010. I am doing my 4 hour observation tomorrow. I would love to hear what you think of the program thus far and if you have any recommendations. Feel free to email me.

Hannah

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

keisha in Charlotte, North Carolina

62 months ago

Linda in Concord, California said: I've been a PTA for thirty five years in most every setting there is. Being an assistant is a "marginal" role. No matter how much experience or continuing education you have, your upward mobility will be limited. Sometimes you will work for progressive people who want you to excel, and other times you will work for people who are threatened by free thinking and advanced experience. Quotas are going up, so most places want you to treat anywhere from 10 to 16 patients a day. (I worked for a short time for an Occupational Clinic that scheduled a patient every 20 minutes....couldn't handle it) It's an enormously rewarding field if you are lucky enough to be in a supportive environment in terms of continuing education and supervision though.

Is it hard to find a job now a days as a PTA with no work experience? i'm in the process of sarting school, but have not yet to decide on a career chioce. i need to know if i can find a job when i graduate. Re PTA's in high demand?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Nadege in Hollywood, Florida

61 months ago

Etienne in Stone Mountain, Georgia said: I'm happy to be here.I'm a french speaking journalist,I just moved in us.And for real the job market is very touch.I'm thinking of becoming a PTA. But right now i need some expericnce before acceptance into a program. I did last four months CNA and P.C.T(patient care tech).I just enrolled in ashworth college where i'm taking Physical therapy aide program in correspondence.But is going to be so long to have a diploma(two years).But i need a job in a physical therapy field.Can someone tell me where i can volunteer in PT field? some PTA colleges in GA.What do i need to get to PTA program and how is the job market now?
Thanks-

Salut Etienne,
As tu commence le programme??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Etienne in Stone Mountain, Georgia

61 months ago

Hi Nadege,you speak french? nice meeting someone who speak french here.Yes i'm done with the physical therapy aide program.I'm now looking to volunteer somewhere.
Are you also in physical therapy program?
Tell me more about your experience.
bye

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

jess in Las Vegas, Nevada

61 months ago

eric in las vegas in Henderson, Nevada said: anybody know if there any school program for PTA here in las vegas?

College of Southern Nevada.
I am currently pre nursing, but thinking of switching to PTA. I go to CSN, and have an appointment on Tuesday.
Cheers.

kim in Marysville, California

58 months ago

its a great program but it takes 2 yrs. to do preqs. abd 2 yrs. for program

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jon A in North Las Vegas, Nevada

58 months ago

jess in Las Vegas, Nevada said: College of Southern Nevada.
I am currently pre nursing, but thinking of switching to PTA. I go to CSN, and have an appointment on Tuesday.
Cheers.

hey whats, im trying to get into the pta program too, so far im taking hhp 123 and 124, so far i love it, everything is new to me, came from a drafting background. well goodluck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Wendy in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

58 months ago

I would like to know if PTA is a stressful job and the salary range in Florida. I am studying ultrasound and I am doing my clinicals right now. It is so sad to hear from more than one sonographer that it is a very stressful job and that they are not being compensated as they should be. I've heard that the field is overloaded and it is very hard to get a job with benefits in South Florida. There a few jobs out there that are per diem, less than 5 days a week and at night.
A few friends will change their major for PTA, that's why I want to find out if this field will be right for me and in demand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Aphex in Falls Church, Virginia

58 months ago

Hannah in Alexandria, Virginia said: Ashraf,

I am preparing to enter the NVCC program next fall 2010. I am doing my 4 hour observation tomorrow. I would love to hear what you think of the program thus far and if you have any recommendations. Feel free to email me.

Hannah

Hey Hannah,
Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. I'd love to give you some info about the program. What is your email? Mine is drashrafaziz at yahoo dot com
Ashraf

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Roxydew1 in Illinois

58 months ago

For anyone interested in gaining experience in the PT industry, and aren't certain if it's the right field, or want to learn more about it before committing to a PTA program...I found that being a Rehabilitation Technician/PT Aide at a PT clinic was amazing experience. You get to see what a day in the life of the PT world is like and it can give you a really good idea of what to expect. And because I made it known that I was attending classes to become a PTA, the PTs were very eager to share their knowledge and advice to help me out and quiz me on stuff.
Working as a tech/aide isn't great money, but it's more about gaining experience. And then once you're in a PTA program, you'll already be a step ahead because you've been exposed to the PT environment and a lot of terminology and procedures and such.
I'm in an evening PTA program and I'm able to work a few days a week during the day as a rehab tech still. It's neat to learn stuff both in school and in the work place to really feel like I'm getting a well rounded education while learning about it and seeing it in action. Granted there's a lot that Techs can't do that a PTA can do, but it was a good place to start for me. It's unglamorous grunt work (fetching cold packs and hot packs, wiping down tables) but you're still in the same setting as the PTs.
Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

All Medical Christy in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

58 months ago

I am looking to hire a PTA in Lake Worth, FL. New grads welcome. Please email me if you are interested. palmbeachresumes@allmedstaffing.com
www.allmedstaffing.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Alpha in Chevy Chase, Maryland

58 months ago

Roxydew1 in Illinois said: For anyone interested in gaining experience in the PT industry, and aren't certain if it's the right field, or want to learn more about it before committing to a PTA program...I found that being a Rehabilitation Technician/PT Aide at a PT clinic was amazing experience. You get to see what a day in the life of the PT world is like and it can give you a really good idea of what to expect. And because I made it known that I was attending classes to become a PTA, the PTs were very eager to share their knowledge and advice to help me out and quiz me on stuff.
Working as a tech/aide isn't great money, but it's more about gaining experience. And then once you're in a PTA program, you'll already be a step ahead because you've been exposed to the PT environment and a lot of terminology and procedures and such.
I'm in an evening PTA program and I'm able to work a few days a week during the day as a rehab tech still. It's neat to learn stuff both in school and in the work place to really feel like I'm getting a well rounded education while learning about it and seeing it in action. Granted there's a lot that Techs can't do that a PTA can do, but it was a good place to start for me. It's unglamorous grunt work (fetching cold packs and hot packs, wiping down tables) but you're still in the same setting as the PTs.
Good luck!

Rox,
How do you find a position as a Rehabilitation Tech/PT Aide. Is there any particular training one needs or could they jump into a tech/aide position from a completely different field? Thanks.

Roxydew1 in Illinois

58 months ago

Alpha in Chevy Chase, Maryland said: Rox,
How do you find a position as a Rehabilitation Tech/PT Aide. Is there any particular training one needs or could they jump into a tech/aide position from a completely different field? Thanks.

I searched for jobs under PT company websites under their job posting pages and submitted my application online. Or you can use www.indeed.com to search for "rehab tech", or "therapy tech", or "physical therapy aide" job openings. No previous experience or degree is needed. All the training is on the job. I completely changed industries as well, but was a good candidate for employment because I expressed my interest in getting into PTA school. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cece in Warren, Michigan

57 months ago

Hi everyone. I'm contemplating going back to school for PTA. I work full time so I have been looking to see if there are any online PTA programs.
I haven't been able to find helpful information without having to fill out questionaries or applications to online colleges.
So I'm wondering can you take a PTA program online? If so what schools offer it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

PTA2B in Denver, Colorado

57 months ago

I just posted on a similar thread: I would NOT enroll in an online PTA program. You need the interaction of real people to perform this job. Your classmates become your patients. You need to experience different body types and different personalities to do this for a living. Sure, some program might take your money and let you "take classes" and give you grades, but I doubt you'll be ready for the real world when you're done. ... I'll give you a small example (I could give you many, many more) of something we learned in a first-semester class: a three-person cart to plinth transfer. You CAN'T do that online. And you can't experience how scary it is as a patient until you've tried that role, too. ... If you are too busy to attend class in person because you work FT, then you are too busy to learn how to become a PTA right now. Maybe there's a way to adjust your work schedule to do both.

nikidavis411 in Phoenix, Arizona

56 months ago

I have to complete 40 hours of observation time at a physical therapy clinic here in AZ. Does anyone have an idea where I can complete the 40 hours? Any info is helpful, thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

kiaralicious07 in Birmingham, Alabama

56 months ago

Hey. I started LPN school in January and I'm seriously hating it right now. I hate drawing blood and the sterile procedures. I don't think this field is right for me. Can anyone give me some things to expect in PTA school? I did a lot of research and it seems to be a great career path. I just want to know what to expect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Aphex in Falls Church, Virginia

56 months ago

kiaralicious07 in Birmingham, Alabama said: Hey. I started LPN school in January and I'm seriously hating it right now. I hate drawing blood and the sterile procedures. I don't think this field is right for me. Can anyone give me some things to expect in PTA school? I did a lot of research and it seems to be a great career path. I just want to know what to expect.

My advice to you is to keep reading through this forum. I found it to be very helpful in my research before I went to PTA school. I'm in my first year in PTA school now and still read through the forum at least once a week to learn from different people. PTA school is very hard but fun at the same time. I like what I study and the skills I learn. No blood drawing, no diaper changing, no 12-14 hours shifts. If you study physical therapy, you will most likely love it in school and in real life.

Good luck,
Ashraf

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Iry in San Jose, California

56 months ago

I have been looking at salary ranges for PTA in California and found out it is somewhere between 55,00-75,00 a year. Is that true? Can anyone confirm? I am in San Jose area and planning on entering PTA program in 1,5 years.
also, how much they pay to new grads? Thank you in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Paula in Düsseldorf, Germany

56 months ago

I'm considering going into the PTA field, but there's one thing holding me back. I know that the job can be physically demanding. How physically demanding is it? On an average day, what's the heaviest amount of weight you're required to lift without assistance? This is very important for me to know before I get into this field, as I am a 5'2" 105lb female. I'm strong for my size, but I'm not going to be able to lift large patients by myself. I don't want to have back problems after only a few years of work. I've seen many small people enter this profession, and I was wondering how they deal with the physical demands. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

HelpingHand in Austin, Texas

56 months ago

eric in las vegas in Henderson, Nevada said: thank you for the reply stretchem, i just found out, there is only one school here for pta program, which is the las vegas community college.

College of Southern Nevada offers a program in PTA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

kevin in South Gate, California

55 months ago

Iry in San Jose, California said: I have been looking at salary ranges for PTA in California and found out it is somewhere between 55,00-75,00 a year. Is that true? Can anyone confirm? I am in San Jose area and planning on entering PTA program in 1,5 years.
also, how much they pay to new grads? Thank you in advance.

I live in So. Cal and am looking into P.T. Assist. My next door neighbor is an asst. with 4 years exp.: 60K/ year. I have done extensive phone calling and found entry level is about 45K-52K a year in So. Cal. Probably the same in your area.

55 months ago

I live in So. Cal. and after doing extensive research found your figures accurate.
My neighbor is a P.T.A. WITH 4years exp: 60 K.

55 months ago

Tarzana CA in Encino, California said: Hi Everyone,

I currently have the same situation I have attended an Lvn school for the last 3 months passing very highly when it comes to the theory part of it. We started clinicals the past 2-weeks and every time I enter a patients room I am scared of what I will face. I come to the conclusion that I want to work with people who are getting better not worse. I decided to check into PTA after observing the PTAs at my clinical site. However here in California there are only 4yr schools to become the PT very few PTA programs except for Concorde wich is 39,000 for 21 months my question is would it be better to do the pt-aide course for 9 months work and challenge the board or would it be best to pay the 39,000.Also there is an entrance test called the HOBBITT does anyone know about that?

Hobbit is a 3 hour test to confirm you are teachable. I have taken it at Concorde. I am about to undertake their program. Did you decide to go , if so what do you think of their course. You can email me at kevinmullin@sbcglobal.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kasey in Houston, Texas

55 months ago

Hello PTA's -

I was wondering what advice you could give to a new PTA student. Which classes did you find to be the hardest? Are there any helpful study aids out there? I have been out of school for over 15 yrs (going back for a 2nd career) and I'm a little worried about the curriculum. What areas should I focus on? Thanks in advance for your help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

c-tina in Lake Worth, Florida

55 months ago

Paula in Düsseldorf, Germany said: I'm considering going into the PTA field, but there's one thing holding me back. I know that the job can be physically demanding. How physically demanding is it? On an average day, what's the heaviest amount of weight you're required to lift without assistance? This is very important for me to know before I get into this field, as I am a 5'2" 105lb female. I'm strong for my size, but I'm not going to be able to lift large patients by myself. I don't want to have back problems after only a few years of work. I've seen many small people enter this profession, and I was wondering how they deal with the physical demands. Thanks!

I have asked the same question of my friend who has been a PTA for 15 years. Mine question is not based on stature, but on age (I'm 48), but the same concerns about weight, etc. would apply. She tells me that you are trained in PTA school how to lift without injuring yourself. Whenever she has had a patient that is too heavy or too immobile to easily shift herself, she has asked for help, and that has never been a problem, she says.

Hope this helps. It helped me feel more comfortable about pursuing the profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Barncat in Denver, Colorado

55 months ago

Kasey,
Sounds like you want the perspective of working PTAs, but as someone in school, I'd highly recommend learning the muscles right away: origin, insertion, action and innervation. I wish I had mastered them before I started my first semester of kinesiology.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kasey in Houston, Texas

55 months ago

Thank you very much! Any insight is a huge help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

David in Broomfield, Colorado

55 months ago

kevin in South Gate, California said: I live in So. Cal. and after doing extensive research found your figures accurate.
My neighbor is a P.T.A. WITH 4years exp: 60 K.

Would you happen to know the pay for new grads in arizona, particularly Northern AZ.? I don't really trust that the "Salary" websites are that accurate.

David in Broomfield, Colorado

55 months ago

Kasey in Houston, Texas said: Hello PTA's -

I was wondering what advice you could give to a new PTA student. Which classes did you find to be the hardest? Are there any helpful study aids out there? I have been out of school for over 15 yrs (going back for a 2nd career) and I'm a little worried about the curriculum. What areas should I focus on? Thanks in advance for your help.

The curriculum for a PTA is the most difficult associate program there is from what I'v been told. The PTA board exam is identical to the regular PT exam, with the exception of a 50 question section on something we don't need to know in detail as Pta's. But the other 200 questions are the same. I am going into my final 2 semesters soon. I am currently studying for 3rd semester finals. 3rd semester kinesiology is the toughest course you will encounter in my opinion. At first it was quite overwelming. Tons of information thrown at you. Impossible to memorize it really. You will have to think your way through the problems and test questions. You must actually understand the concepts. Pretty cool once it clicks in actually.I am no scholar by any means, am 46 years old, and I have done very well. The secret..... Study your butt off! That's what I'v done. Throw enough plaster on the wall and eventually it HAS to stick! Remember, most highly successful people say their success was due to 95% sweat and 5% talent. Just absorb yourself it it all and you'll do great. Become the information. You will see you have no choice really. All of the A&P you are learning you'll continue to use as the program progresses. The mitochondria stuff is not too important but muscles, bones, joints and healing process all come back to haunt you so to speak, so get them down. You will always reference these in the future. Trailguide to the body is a great study guide. Theres lots of flashcards out there too. Check out your local Barnes and noble.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No Reply - Report abuse

DavePTA in Pooler, Georgia

55 months ago

Wow, mitochodria. I haven't heard that word in a few years. Now that I think about it...I wish I had forgotten it. Don't sweat the boards. Actually, sweat alot and then it's over. I've been a PTA for a few years in Georgia and I remember not having test anxiety until I took the boards. I guess there's just alot riding on it. Memorize, study, and learn to critically think. Don't study the day beofre the test. Chances are, if you don't know it the day before the test, you won't know it the day of the test. Get a massage, go out to dinner, get some sleep. Stay away from red bull. Remember that in few years when you see the books over your desk that have all the info you've long forgotten (like mitochodria) you'll grin as you go off to treat your next patient.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Bellingham, Washington

55 months ago

David in Broomfield, Colorado said: The curriculum for a PTA is the most difficult associate program there is from what I'v been told. The PTA board exam is identical to the regular PT exam, with the exception of a 50 question section on something we don't need to know in detail as Pta's. But the other 200 questions are the same. I am going into my final 2 semesters soon. I am currently studying for 3rd semester finals. 3rd semester kinesiology is the toughest course you will encounter in my opinion. At first it was quite overwelming. Tons of information thrown at you. Impossible to memorize it really. You will have to think your way through the problems and test questions. You must actually understand the concepts. Pretty cool once it clicks in actually.I am no scholar by any means, am 46 years old, and I have done very well. The secret..... Study your butt off! That's what I'v done. Throw enough plaster on the wall and eventually it HAS to stick! Remember, most highly successful people say their success was due to 95% sweat and 5% talent. Just absorb yourself it it all and you'll do great. Become the information. You will see you have no choice really. All of the A&P you are learning you'll continue to use as the program progresses. The mitochondria stuff is not too important but muscles, bones, joints and healing process all come back to haunt you so to speak, so get them down. You will always reference these in the future. Trailguide to the body is a great study guide. Theres lots of flashcards out there too. Check out your local Barnes and noble.

HOw can you say the PTA curriculum is the hardest associate degree program out there? I would have to disagree with you. Nuclear medicine,MRI Technologist, Radiology Technologist, Respiratory Therapy,LPN, I can go on and on. Are you thinking this degree will make you successfully when it comes to income. Every single program I listed above makes considerably more money than a PTA. LOW pay =PTA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.