question regarding california PTA license

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 99)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

maria in San Diego, California

77 months ago

I passed my PTA exam and the California Law exam recently and wonder if anyone in this forum would know how long should one wait for the PTA license?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

td in El Cajon, California

76 months ago

hello maria!

hey...im looking into becoming a PTA/PT and live in SD as well....i would REALLY like to chat with you about your educational process (where you went to school), your experiences before, during and after the process, where you are now (got work?), you know.....all the DETAILS!!

if you would be so kind and generous to share your experience with me i would greatly appreciate it! you can post it here....or take it private via email...

terrydean1@cox.net

td

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kasia in Wood Dale, Illinois

76 months ago

td in El Cajon, California said: hello maria!

hey...im looking into becoming a PTA/PT and live in SD as well....i would REALLY like to chat with you about your educational process (where you went to school), your experiences before, during and after the process, where you are now (got work?), you know.....all the DETAILS!!

if you would be so kind and generous to share your experience with me i would greatly appreciate it! you can post it here....or take it private via email...

terrydean1@cox.net

td

I also would like to get some information about your experience, exam and so one. My mail: kasiastal@hotmail.com
Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

td1 in san diego, California

76 months ago

kasia....see your inbox! :)

td

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Glen Bacus in Dubai, United Arab Emirates

75 months ago

Hello, just want to know how can i apply for a PTA exam while I am working here in Dubai U.A.E. I am a graduate of Bachelor of Science in Physical Therapy. Is there any chances for me to take an exam?? if there is what are the procedures or process that I need to know, Hope you can help me with these matter. Thanks!!

EJ in Dubai, United Arab Emirates

72 months ago

Hi!! Like Glen I am also a PT graduate staying in UAE and would love to take a PTA exam.. Please share the information to me as well... Thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nikolina in San Diego, California

70 months ago

maria in San Diego, California said: I passed my PTA exam and the California Law exam recently and wonder if anyone in this forum would know how long should one wait for the PTA license?

Hi Maria, I am in Del Mar/Carmel Valley San Diego, feeling overwhelmed by all the study info for the Licensing Exam. Please, let me know how you prepared to succesfully pass. Any details will be very appreciated! Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nikolina in San Diego, California

70 months ago

maria in San Diego, California said: I passed my PTA exam and the California Law exam recently and wonder if anyone in this forum would know how long should one wait for the PTA license?

Sorry, forgot to leave my e-mail: nikoolina@yahoo.com Thank you!

Maria in San Diego, California

70 months ago

Hi Nikolina! I just bought the reviewer of PT assistant from IER (international educational resources) which has a site in the internet- www.therapyed.com. I studied for 2 months. A week or so before i take the exam i test myself my taking the online exam PEAT for PT assistant. Just make sure your ready when you take the exam. I hope this help.

Maria

Steven in Portland, Maine

70 months ago

A B.S. degree in physical therapy does not qualify you to take the PTA exam. Frankly, if you have earned your B.S.P.T. since entry level went to a masters: you don't have the clinical skills to be a PTA. The A.A.S. degree for a PTA is set completely different than a PT program. In a PTA program you learn all the same manual/ treatment skills in two years that a MSPT or DPT does in their degree program. The main difference is the evaluation skills and clinical research. SORRY PT's: At entry level we all have the same skill set, and have had the same internship experience. I realized this a few years ago, and now I staff two PT's and 4 PTA's on any given day. Patient's get the same treatment, and I can afford to give my whole staff a better benefit package with the amount of money I save in straight payroll.

I am not surprised that PT salaries have become stagnant, but the PTA salary is quickly on the rise!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

supermhon in Mountain View, California

67 months ago

hi anybody there who can give me input for taking the PTA exam ? thanks

Perry in Coldwater, Michigan

67 months ago

It's not as hard as you think!!! If you got good grades in school, you should have no problem!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

paradox in San Jose, California

67 months ago

Perry in Coldwater, Michigan said: It's not as hard as you think!!! If you got good grades in school, you should have no problem!

thanks for comment that really help

Susie in San Diego, California

67 months ago

Hi Nicolina and Maria,

I just noticed that you guys are from San Diego. I moved here back in July and I just passed my NPTAE but I still need to pass the California Law. Since this was a while ago I assume you both passed. I was wondering...How hard was the law exam? Based o the material it doens't seem too bad but I would like your input.

I also wanted to ask some questions about the job market here...
Are you working? how was the job-hunting process? any tips?
I really had no luck finding a job with my PTALA status, will it be easier once I get my license?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Susie in San Diego, California

67 months ago

I'm happy to report that I just recently passed the NPTAE. It was brutal! I practiced with the scorebuilders exams. I found it to be pretty similar in format to the actual exam. I struggled with these exams but I studied what I got wrong on them. The good news is that they prepare you to think clinically. A lot of the exam is clinial scenarios. Go through EVERYTHING before you take the exam. Also, have a friend quiz you with one of the exams you haven't taken in a while. It helps you to think more analytically. Hope this helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

maria in San Diego, California

67 months ago

ho="Susie in San Diego, California"]Hi Nicolina and Maria,

I just noticed that you guys are from San Diego. I moved here back in July and I just passed my NPTAE but I still need to pass the California Law. Since this was a while ago I assume you both passed. I was wondering...How hard was the law exam? Based o the material it doens't seem too bad but I would like your input.

I really had no luck finding a job with my PTALA status, will it be easier once I get my license?

Susie,

The CA Law exam is not hard. Just read the CA law and regulation which you could download from PTBC website. It about 96 pages. I suggest read it atleast 3 times then take the exam. The exam is 50 items for 1 hour.
As for the job hunting, there are lots of job out there just look at the indeed.com. And try to find out whats the starting rate for a PTA before you begin negotiating or interviewing with potential employer. Per hour rate is different depending on where you want to work (out-patient, skilled nursing facility-SNF or hospital). I hope thing turn out well for you.

Maria

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Perry in Coldwater, Michigan

66 months ago

From my experience with boards: I know there are potentially slightly different tests for every candidate, but forget about the minute little things that your instructors drilled into your head as extremely important for your exam. By this I mean: muscle origins and insertions, all the different variations of hepatitis and how to contract/pass them...you know, all that stuff you spent so much time memorizing. Just remember the basics: muscle actions, nerve roots, distributions and plexuses, tests for peripheral nerve function, burns, wound care, safety, transfers, et cetera. If you can swing 70 dollars, go to Scorebuilders.com. Their book is comprehensive, and their practice tests are way harder than the real deal. There is a cd-rom with 3 or 4 mock exams on it. The highest I scored on any of them was a 120/150 (80%) nationwide pass rate on the real exam is 600/800 raw score (75% scale based on difficulty of your particular exam). I scored 792/800 on the real exam, first attempt three weeks after graduation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

polkadots in Encinitas, California

66 months ago

hi there,

I noticed you just recently passed your CLE.I just need to know what to focus, and study on the CLE exam. Do I have to memorize each law and all fees? Please, for those who already took the CLE recently, I need your advise what specific topic on the CLE I need to focus on and concentrate.

Thank you very much!

Susie in San Diego, California said: Hi Nicolina and Maria,

heleena in Fairfield, California

64 months ago

hai,can u please tell me what all books r needed for exam.is this exam is easier than pt exam?i am a pt in india,after i came here,i need to take 30 extra units to take pt exam.so,as i am a mother of 2 kids i dont want to waste time.i now decided to take pta exam,but dont have any books.please let me know what all books i have to refer.thank you.

Steve in Warren, Maine

64 months ago

You need to take an english proficiency exam and then apply for the PTA exam in combination with whichever state you are looking to work in. You also need to have your education credentials reviewed to be sure you have the required schooling and clinical experience to sit for the PTA board exam. I assume you already have a visa in order?

heleena in Fairfield, California said: hai,can u please tell me what all books r needed for exam.is this exam is easier than pt exam?i am a pt in india,after i came here,i need to take 30 extra units to take pt exam.so,as i am a mother of 2 kids i dont want to waste time.i now decided to take pta exam,but dont have any books.please let me know what all books i have to refer.thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

i have applied for credentials already.thankx for sending me informations.please tell me which books should i follow for pta exam?

steve in Rockland, Maine

64 months ago

The PTAexam study guide from Scorebuilders.com is great. Though if you have already practiced as a PT, you should be able to pass the PTA exam. It is extremely similar to the PT board exam, just not as long...I have taken and passed both.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

thank you sooooooooo much for ur help.i will definetly go thru it.if you know that i should need to study some other books,please dont forget to tell me.and one more thing,after my credentials is done,i can sit for exam?how many times i can write exams if i fail?

steve in Rockland, Maine

64 months ago

If you fail twice you have to take classes and ask permission from the State board to test again (and wait a year). You have to request in writing, and prove that you are more prepared to take the exam. If they agree, you can take it one more time. After that you have to go through a complete PTA program again (2 years).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

dina in Los Angeles, California

63 months ago

maria in San Diego, California said: ho="Susie in San Diego, California"]Hi Nicolina and Maria,

Susie,

The CA Law exam is not hard. Just read the CA law and regulation which you could download from PTBC website. It about 96 pages. I suggest read it atleast 3 times then take the exam. The exam is 50 items for 1 hour.
As for the job hunting, there are lots of job out there just look at the indeed.com. And try to find out whats the starting rate for a PTA before you begin negotiating or interviewing with potential employer. Per hour rate is different depending on where you want to work (out-patient, skilled nursing facility-SNF or hospital). I hope thing turn out well for you.

Maria

Hi maria, I am just wondering that can we tahe law exam before NPTE?.

dina in Los Angeles, California

63 months ago

hey can anone tell that we can give law exam before NPTE or not?

baby in Fairfield, California

63 months ago

hai friends,i am a foreign graduated pt,here with my husband and kids.i am in the process of doing my credentials,but to work as a pt here,i heard that i have to take another 30 units from a college.so i called the credentials and asked them can i do the credentials for pta with my pt degree,so that i can go for license exam directly?they said we will do!is there anyone like me who have done their pt in foreign country and now working as a pta here.and one more thing i heard that the license exams are very tough and there are only 2 chances to pass.is that true?because i am going to do this after 10 years,even though i have a pt degree with me,i almost forgot all my studies,i am very much confused now,i should go for this or go to some other field?can anyone please give some sugesstions?thank you all.

Perry in Rockland, Maine

63 months ago

Maybe you should pick a different field if, "i almost forgot all my studies," after practicing 10 years.
You still have to apply for and have your credentials approved to be considered to sit for PTA liscencing boards.

Shelley in Ann Arbor, Michigan

63 months ago

Hi, I am in a pickle, in need of some help. I need to interview a PTA for my intro into PTA class. Today is Saturday and I have to turn in this interview Monday morning. No I am not a slacker we were given the assignment on Monday which gave us only 4 days to contact a PTA, I have left messages with several offices but have had no replies. Anyone out there willing to help a future PTA out, Email me at squandt50@yahoo.com. Thank you!!

chaz in Apple Valley, California

63 months ago

Hi everyone,
Can anyone tell me where i can look up practice questions for the cle exam in california. I have looked everywhere without any luck at all. Please any advice would be really helpfull.

chaz

paul in Örebro, Sweden

62 months ago

hi there. i am an american who has lived in sweden the last 10 years and am a licensed PT here in sweden. i would like to move back to the states, but am actually not all that interested in doing all that would be required to get licensed as a PT, but getting licensed as a PTA sounds very interesting. do i only need to get my studies accredited as i would to get PT license? but then instead of applying for PT license apply for PTA license? i know this thread is about california, but it must be somewhat similar for all states i hope. this is all very confusing.

thanks for any help anyone could provide.

Steven in Rockland, Maine

62 months ago

There is no acceptable level of international study for a PTA license. It is strictly an Associate of Applied Science to be completed in the US. If you are licensed as a PT in Sweden, you should have no problem passing the boards in the US. Why be a PTA if you have the degree to be a PT...Allegedly!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

paul in Örebro, Sweden

62 months ago

thanks for the response, Steven!

it's not allegedly, i AM licensed. ;-) just thought it sounded like it would go faster to get PTA license, but sounds like this is not the case after your response and having looked around some. thanks again.

Jessy in Roanoke, Virginia

62 months ago

Hi
Just wondering if anybody could give any pointers on the CLE! Not sure what exactly to study I have read over the laws & regulations twice!

He Cannon in San Diego, California

61 months ago

Does anyone have an insight on how much a starting PTA can get per hour in the San Diego area. ALSO, are PTA's treated badly since they are "assistants" as opposed to PT's? I've heard some pretty bad stories. Any help would be great!

steven in Rockland, Maine

61 months ago

Hi There,
I can't tell you the starting wage for a PTA in CA, but I can offer some insight to your other question. The patients don't care if you are a PT or a PTA. Like any other professional (Therapist or otherwise), the moment you prove you are competent in what you do: it doesn't matter who you are. I have worked in a lot of facilities in just about all settings (LTC, Acute, OP/ Ortho). The only people who care that I am a PTA have been a few short-sighted PT's!
Hope this helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nancy45000 in Forest Hills, New York

61 months ago

Has anyone here completed the PTA program at LaGuardia Community College in NYC? What was your experience like? Were you able to get a job? What was or is your salary? How much should I expect after graduation?

Holly in Phoenix, Arizona

58 months ago

Does snyone know if the test I took to be licensed in Maine in 1996 is the National Test?

Jimmi in Glenview, Illinois

56 months ago

hi everone, i took PTA board in IL twice but got disappointed. Does anyone have idea how to prepare for suck an exam i was to close with the score number the second time. hope i get some info ...
thanxs

chaz in Los Angeles, California

56 months ago

i took the pt test not the pta test, prior to taking the test i undertook the ier prep course. Maybe they have a course for pta's, hope that helps. On the course they give you a course book and also exam taking advice, i found it helpful.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

linda in Scarborough, Ontario

52 months ago

Hello everyone:
I am Physiotherapist from Colombia and PTA from canada, I would like get a PTA license in USA but I don't know which in the first step.
Please any advice would be really helpfull.
My email address is islana2@hotmail.com
Thank you
linda

Steve in Falmouth, Maine

52 months ago

You can only get a PTA license in the US if you went to school here. If you are a PT in Colombia, you should not have too much of a problem getting a PT license in the US. Of course your immigration status will be an issue, but as long as you have more than a four year degree you should be able to take boards and get licensed here. I have worked with a lot of foreign-trained PTs in my career, rumor has it that Texas, Michigan, and Indiana are pretty easy to get. Tennessee and Florida tend to be tough.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Berta in San Diego, California

51 months ago

Hi everyone,

I am Physical Therapist graduated in Brazil and want to start the process to get my license as PT in California. I live in San Diego and would like to contact people in the same situation who lives around here.

Susie, Maria and Baby, could you please contact me robertasemog@hotmail.com

Berta in San Diego, California

51 months ago

Nikolina in San Diego, California said: Hi Maria, I am in Del Mar/Carmel Valley San Diego, feeling overwhelmed by all the study info for the Licensing Exam. Please, let me know how you prepared to succesfully pass. Any details will be very appreciated! Thank you!

Hi Nikolina, we live in the same location. Could you please contact me at robertasemog@hotmail.com. Thx

gooner in Chino Hills, California

50 months ago

Hello, I am embarrased to say, I graduated from a PTA program 4 years ago and never took the test. Can I still take the exam? Is there a limit on time that you have to take the exam from the time you graduate? Any help would be great.

ptapossible in Akron, Ohio

49 months ago

I am looking into PTA programs and am currently in Ohio. However, I will be living back in NY state in 2 years. If I attend a PTA program at a nationally accredited program in OH, would I be able to take the exam to receive a license in NYS?

SP in Cumberland Center, Maine

49 months ago

ptapossible in Akron, Ohio said: I am looking into PTA programs and am currently in Ohio. However, I will be living back in NY state in 2 years. If I attend a PTA program at a nationally accredited program in OH, would I be able to take the exam to receive a license in NYS?

The board exam is nationwide (and not really that hard, contrary to popular belief)! There are different theories on that. I think it all comes down to two things: FIRST, the quality of the student, and SECOND, the quality of the education. The northeast has the best first attempt pass rate (92%), followed by Mid-atlantic (86%), southwest (85%), northwest (85%), South including TX (83%), and midwest (69%). Those were the stats from the ten years leading up to 2008 when I took boards. I would have to question a school that doesn't boast about having a high success rate. My best advice would be to take the exam as soon as possible. Two years would be a perfect time-frame for you to finish school and apply for a license in NY (you have to apply for a state license to be granted permission to take the exam).

As long as your school of choice is CAPTE accredited, you can apply for a license anywhere in the States. Each state licensing agency has different requirements for paperwork, background checks, et cetera, but they all take the same exam. Some states make you take a jurisprudence/ law exam (don't know about NY). People sweat it, but to be licensed in CA and TX. They took me a combined 20 minutes! They give you all the study info online, and the questions are extremely simple...nothing practical, just common sense stuff.

Good luck to you! PTA is a very rewarding career that pays well and has plenty of good benefits.

ptapossible in Akron, Ohio

49 months ago

SP in Cumberland Center, Maine said: The board exam is nationwide (and not really that hard, contrary to popular belief)! There are different theories on that. I think it all comes down to two things: FIRST, the quality of the student, and SECOND, the quality of the education. The northeast has the best first attempt pass rate (92%), followed by Mid-atlantic (86%), southwest (85%), northwest (85%), South including TX (83%), and midwest (69%). Those were the stats from the ten years leading up to 2008 when I took boards. I would have to question a school that doesn't boast about having a high success rate. My best advice would be to take the exam as soon as possible. Two years would be a perfect time-frame for you to finish school and apply for a license in NY (you have to apply for a state license to be granted permission to take the exam).

As long as your school of choice is CAPTE accredited, you can apply for a license anywhere in the States. Each state licensing agency has different requirements for paperwork, background checks, et cetera, but they all take the same exam. Some states make you take a jurisprudence/ law exam (don't know about NY). People sweat it, but to be licensed in CA and TX. They took me a combined 20 minutes! They give you all the study info online, and the questions are extremely simple...nothing practical, just common sense stuff.

Good luck to you! PTA is a very rewarding career that pays well and has plenty of good benefits.

Thank you!

Jennifer

49 months ago

Hi Maria.. I am studying (right now) for the PTAE and I would like to hear about your experiences. I am getting 77 on the scorebuilders and 82 on the IER's. I take it you went to the program at Grossmont. I just finished the program at Sacramento City College. The teachers said it was very difficult so I am wondering if it is anything like the Scorebuilders and IER exams... they seem a little difficult. Anyway contrats to you for passing it and (bows down) being close to your PTA licence. I can ask some of my friends how long it took. I was in a program and had to repeat my last semester so i have 24 friends who did pass it and are working in CA as PTA's. I am excited about this growing occupation that will take me many different places. Blessings Maria... Jennifer from Nor Cal

Jennifer

49 months ago

Perry in Coldwater, Michigan said: From my experience with boards: I know there are potentially slightly different tests for every candidate, but forget about the minute little things that your instructors drilled into your head as extremely important for your exam. By this I mean: muscle origins and insertions, all the different variations of hepatitis and how to contract/pass them...you know, all that stuff you spent so much time memorizing. Just remember the basics: muscle actions, nerve roots, distributions and plexuses, tests for peripheral nerve function, burns, wound care, safety, transfers, et cetera. If you can swing 70 dollars, go to Scorebuilders.com. Their book is comprehensive, and their practice tests are way harder than the real deal. There is a cd-rom with 3 or 4 mock exams on it. The highest I scored on any of them was a 120/150 (80%) nationwide pass rate on the real exam is 600/800 raw score (75% scale based on difficulty of your particular exam). I scored 792/800 on the real exam, first attempt three weeks after graduation.

Wow man.. I am totally impressed that you passed it three weeks out of school. I have been out a month and I am still not ready. I took your advice and am drilling through the Scorebuilders Books.. i have two of them 2008 and 2009. Thanks and Congrats on having a big brain. I am stressing out but you telling me that they are easier than the real deal took a little stress off my back. Ok back to studying... bye, Jennifer in Nor California.. will take NPTAE in August

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.