Comments (1 to 50 of 98)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Audrea in Bowling Green, Ohio

70 months ago

Best of Luck!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Last I heard their Masters accreditation was still pending but they were accepting applicants. How did the interview at MUC go?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

padma in Fort Wayne, Indiana

70 months ago

The interview was OK and I think I did not answer one question that well. I heard their first group interviewed a month ago were notified within a week. In that case I should hear from them by next week. I heard they give preference for Ohio residents and in our group there were two out of state residents including me out of 16. Still hoping to get into the program. Are you a PA applicant too? Thnaks for the info about Findlay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Yes, I actually had an interview there on the 16th of December. Our experiences sound very similar. We had about 16-17 applicants in our group. I had not heard that they had a group of interviews a month ago, I only knew about your group on the 15th. Someone in our group asked about notification of acceptance and they were told they would send out letters by the first of the year, while the website says 30 days. Best of Luck & Please let me know if hear anything from them!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Cbear in Defiance, Ohio said: HEy guys I interviewed there on the 16th as well.. I was accepted that thursday the 18th by an email!! Did anyone else get a notification??
Good Luck to you Both!

Congrats on the accpetance! I received my letter of acceptance on Friday!!
If you don't mind answering, may I ask what your name is? Hopefully we can get in touch with the rest of our class before the April orientation!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

stace1203 in Akron, Ohio

70 months ago

Hi! I also was accepted to Mount Union's program. I am a MUC alumni, but was wondering if either of you had confirmed your acceptance or if you were waiting to hear back from other schools? I interviewed on November 17th, were either of u at that interview date?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ana in Rosemead, California

70 months ago

padma in Fort Wayne, Indiana said: I am an applicant of PA program starting in 2009 with a GPA of 3.14 and worked as a Medical assistant/Phlebotomist. I also shadowed PA's and Internal Medicine doctors. I have applied for 7 programs, but so far no interviews. Some programs require GRE, so I am retaking my GRE becuase of my analytical writing score of 3 out of 6. PA programs require a minimum of 4 for analytical writing. Please get me some helpful advices.

Hi-
I have a 2.9 and didn't get into any schools last year, but I did get interviews for both of the schools that I applied to (USC and Western in California). USC's admission director was very helpful and told me to do more volunteer work and retake any classes in which I got low grades (C's). He said I had more experience than many of the other applicants but my grades and volunteer work were holding me back. Hope this helps! Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Audrea in Bowling Green, Ohio said: Congrats on the accpetance! I received my letter of acceptance on Friday!!
If you don't mind answering, may I ask what your name is? Hopefully we can get in touch with the rest of our class before the April orientation!

No, I was part of the December 16th interview group. I am not waiting to hear back from any schools, mostly because their deadlines are March & I don't think they are sending out interview invites this early. Congrats on the acceptance & I look forward to meeting you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

stace1203 in Akron, Ohio

70 months ago

So you are from the Defiance area? You didn't happen to go to Defiance High school did you? Are you excited about Mount Union? Have you figured out where you are going to live? If you need any suggestions, let me know! There are a lot of good apartments near by and the rent isn't bad either! Have a good Christmas!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

padmavt@comcast.net in Phoenix, Arizona

70 months ago

I haven't heard anything from MUC yet. May be they are accepting Ohio residents only.

padma

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jezel in Yonkers, New York

69 months ago

Hi everyone! I aqm in my second semester in college, looking to apply to a PA program after I've done my 60 credits. THe only thing is, living in NY is far more chanllenging bc the avergae school may get about 200 applicants, a NY school would get 1,000. I am trying hard to get at least a 3.2 gpa.. I have no worries about the experience part...

Where is MUC, and would USC accpet me, the other personony has a 2,9?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

MUC is Mount Union College in Alliance, Ohio. It's a tiny private college, I think about 2000 students. I'm afraid I don't know very much about USC. Best of luck!!

christine in West Babylon, New York

69 months ago

did u try touro schools. they don't require a GRE. the one in NY I heard is pretty easy to get into.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

kerianne in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

69 months ago

Did anyone on here decide to go to mount.. I was accepted.. and paid my 500 i was just wondering if anyone else is in my class!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Hi kerianne-
As of right now I will be going to Mount. I have been invited to an interview at Philly Univ and have not decided if I am going to go, etc. Were you at the December 16th(Tuesday) interview session?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Stace1203 in Akron, Ohio

69 months ago

Hi Kerrianne!

Yes, I was accepted at Mount Union and will be attending there! I was interviewd back in November so I wasn't at your interview date. I also am a Mount Union graduate so if you have any questions about the area, the school or places to live, just let me know and I would be more than happy to help! Congratulations!! Keep in touch!

Stacey

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Hi guys...i was at the dec 16th interview session as well!! im not really all that familiar with the area.. but i am excited about the program.. does anyone know what they are doing for housing yet?

69 months ago

christine in West Babylon, New York said: did u try touro schools. they don't require a GRE. the one in NY I heard is pretty easy to get into.

Tuoro is very expensive, my first choice was SUNY downstate, York, and Mercy, which PA program are u in?

69 months ago

kerianne in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Hi guys...i was at the dec 16th interview session as well!! im not really all that familiar with the area.. but i am excited about the program.. does anyone know what they are doing for housing yet?

I am just going to commute if I go to Mount, it's about 35 minutes. I think I remember you for the interview, curly blonde hair? My luck thats not you at all. Look forward to meeting you & Stacey!

Stace1203 in Akron, Ohio

69 months ago

I am not sure what I am doing yet. I only live about 25 minutes away, buuuut it's really hard for me to study at home, and I know I will be spending most of my time up there anyways between class and the library, sooooo I will likely be looking for an apartment. My best friend and I lived in a house together right by campus that her parents bought for us and it is going to be available to rent starting in May. She asked me if I was interested in moving back in, but it has three bedrooms and there is no way Im living there by myself haha. There are a few nice apartment complexes near by though, so I still have to decide. I'm a little indecisive haha.

Stacey

69 months ago

I feel the same way.. i have a chance to live about 30 mins away but i would prefer to be closer! The way i study now i know i will probably be spending most of my time in the library and I wont want to dive at the end of the day! I don't blame you either.. I cant study at home.. I get way too distracted :-D
Hope you all are enjoying the snow!!

Also, Audrea I have long dark brown hair it was straight that day :) its ok though!! I sat behind someone with blonde curly hair though!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Stace1203 in Akron, Ohio said: I am not sure what I am doing yet. I only live about 25 minutes away, buuuut it's really hard for me to study at home, and I know I will be spending most of my time up there anyways between class and the library, sooooo I will likely be looking for an apartment. My best friend and I lived in a house together right by campus that her parents bought for us and it is going to be available to rent starting in May. She asked me if I was interested in moving back in, but it has three bedrooms and there is no way Im living there by myself haha. There are a few nice apartment complexes near by though, so I still have to decide. I'm a little indecisive haha.

Stacey

What were your grades like and what kind of healthcare experience did you have prior to applying? I'm really trying to soak up as much info as possible from PAs and future PA students

Stace1203 in Akron, Ohio

69 months ago

Well, my undergraduate gpa was a 3.5, but I took a lot of classes after I graduated that were pre-req's for PA school that are not caclulated into that. I got all A's and B's in my pre-req courses though. My health care experience is kinda lengthy due to my undergraduate degree in Sports Medicine. Part of our curriculum requires 1000 hours of patient contact experience as a student athletic trainer. After I graduated I worked in an outpatient physical therapy clinic and also at a hospital in inpatient therapy. I currently work at another outpatient facility. My biggest advice would be to shadow as many PA's as possible. I shadowed 5 PA's in different settints. One in Family Practice, one in Endocrinology, one in Neurology, one in Pediatrics, and one in Orthopaedics. The more exposure you can get the better. If you have any other questions, let me know. Hope that helped! Goodluck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Stace1203 in Akron, Ohio said: Well, my undergraduate gpa was a 3.5, but I took a lot of classes after I graduated that were pre-req's for PA school that are not caclulated into that. I got all A's and B's in my pre-req courses though. My health care experience is kinda lengthy due to my undergraduate degree in Sports Medicine. Part of our curriculum requires 1000 hours of patient contact experience as a student athletic trainer. After I graduated I worked in an outpatient physical therapy clinic and also at a hospital in inpatient therapy. I currently work at another outpatient facility. My biggest advice would be to shadow as many PA's as possible. I shadowed 5 PA's in different settints. One in Family Practice, one in Endocrinology, one in Neurology, one in Pediatrics, and one in Orthopaedics. The more exposure you can get the better. If you have any other questions, let me know. Hope that helped! Goodluck!

omg!!! I wish my gpa gets up to a 3.5 wow you've a lot of exp. I plan on taking Phlebotomy classes in the summer then work as that. I also plan on shadowing some PAs I'm surrounded by hospitals and clnics.
My only other concern is the fact that I will be planning on getting a Bachelors in PA, I didn't really want a Masters. Would getting a B.A first expand my chances? ( Social Work but of course all the pre reqs will be done and I will work in a hospital)
or should I just continue on with my 60 credits, experince etc, and apply?

Has anyone here read the book by Andrew Rodican? I'm getting mixed reviews on this thing

Stace1203 in Akron, Ohio

69 months ago

Taking Phlebotomy classes would definitely be a good idea! That will always look good on an application. Anything that is going to get you patient contact experience. Another idea, if you have any area outpatient Physical Therapy Clinics near you, they usually need Therapy Aides, and you don't need a Bachelors degree in order to be one. That will also get you lots of patient contact hours, and make some money too! About getting your Bachelors in PA studies. I know that eventually all programs will be Masters level. I'm not so sure how many Bachelors programs are left to be honest with you. In my personal opinion, I think it would be to your benefit to just get your Masters. Orrr, there are some private schools that have Pre-PA programs. You would get your Bachelors first and then transition into a Masters program. The advantge is usually that they reserve seats for their own graduates and I believe you usually finish in 5 years rather than a total of 6. So maybe look into that? And about the Andrew Rodican book, I think it is an excellent resource to have. It really helps explain the whole process and answers a lot of questions. Plus it is pretty cheap so why not try it? Well, I hope I helped a little. Let me know if you have any more questions, I'm more than happy to help as much as I can!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Stace1203 in Akron, Ohio said: Taking Phlebotomy classes would definitely be a good idea! That will always look good on an application. Anything that is going to get you patient contact experience. Another idea, if you have any area outpatient Physical Therapy Clinics near you, they usually need Therapy Aides, and you don't need a Bachelors degree in order to be one. That will also get you lots of patient contact hours, and make some money too! About getting your Bachelors in PA studies. I know that eventually all programs will be Masters level. I'm not so sure how many Bachelors programs are left to be honest with you. In my personal opinion, I think it would be to your benefit to just get your Masters. Orrr, there are some private schools that have Pre-PA programs. You would get your Bachelors first and then transition into a Masters program. The advantge is usually that they reserve seats for their own graduates and I believe you usually finish in 5 years rather than a total of 6. So maybe look into that? And about the Andrew Rodican book, I think it is an excellent resource to have. It really helps explain the whole process and answers a lot of questions. Plus it is pretty cheap so why not try it? Well, I hope I helped a little. Let me know if you have any more questions, I'm more than happy to help as much as I can!

okay, well I've found a school in Jersey... Rutgers... and they are not accrediated, I checked the AAPA site under Jersey, and Rutgers was not on the list. WOuld it be worth applying, I don't know if I do that program, would I still be a certified PA? I tired Emailing them, no luck

Stace1203 in Canton, Ohio

68 months ago

Ummm...well you are only eligible to sit for the Physician Assistant National Certifying Examination (PANCE) if you have graduated from an accreddited PA program. Sooo, unless they get accredited before you graduate, you won't be able to take the exam and therefore be unable to be a PA-C. So I would definitely look into it more and maybe try calling instead? Have you found any other programs that just offer a Bachelors? Have you looked into the programs with Pre-PA undergraduate degrees? I think Chatham and Duquesne in Pennsylvania both offer that as an option and maybe Gannon also. Let me know if you figure anything out! Goodluck!

Stacey

msvalleylou in Orlando, Florida

68 months ago

Rutgers in conjuction with UMDNJ is accredited. You start at Rutgers for the bachelors then continue at UMDNJ for the actual PA portion andthe masters. Rutgers is the Pre PA phase and all the pre reqs.
see below:
This is a six year program sponsored jointly by the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey (UMDNJ) and Rutgers University, Livingston College. Upon completion of the program graduates receive a Bachelor of Arts degree in Biological Sciences from Rutgers University and a Master of Science degree from UMDNJ.

68 months ago

msvalleylou in Orlando, Florida said: Rutgers in conjuction with UMDNJ is accredited. You start at Rutgers for the bachelors then continue at UMDNJ for the actual PA portion andthe masters. Rutgers is the Pre PA phase and all the pre reqs.
see below:
This is a six year program sponsored jointly by the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey (UMDNJ) and Rutgers University, Livingston College. Upon completion of the program graduates receive a Bachelor of Arts degree in Biological Sciences from Rutgers University and a Master of Science degree from UMDNJ.

THANKS...If that was on the website, then I need to get my eyes checked.... lol

68 months ago

Stace1203 in Canton, Ohio said: Ummm...well you are only eligible to sit for the Physician Assistant National Certifying Examination (PANCE) if you have graduated from an accreddited PA program. Sooo, unless they get accredited before you graduate, you won't be able to take the exam and therefore be unable to be a PA-C. So I would definitely look into it more and maybe try calling instead? Have you found any other programs that just offer a Bachelors? Have you looked into the programs with Pre-PA undergraduate degrees? I think Chatham and Duquesne in Pennsylvania both offer that as an option and maybe Gannon also. Let me know if you figure anything out! Goodluck!

Stacey

Well, there are about 5 schools in New York City ,and Long Island , New York that offer just a Bachelors. I'm applying to those first b/c prices are very cheap, then out of school after. If I dont get accepeted then I have a plan B, to get a Bachelors in another field, then apply again for my masters. Thanks so much for answering all my questions, I appreciate it, and now all I have to do is sit back, finish my pre reqs, do the med exp, and apply!!!
: ) Jezel-Blaise.

CWebb in Oxford, Ohio

68 months ago

Hey everyone!!
I am accepted into MUC PA program and will be there in May!! I was at the December 12th interview session and I'm going up to look at apartments soon- does anyone have any suggestions of where I should look? Thanks!

kerrianne in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

68 months ago

Hello CWebb-

Congrats.. I will be there as well!! I am having the same issue with apartments as well I have no clue where to look.. If you hear anything let me know! I am not really familiar with the area so I am not sure of any!!

Stace1203 in Akron, Ohio

68 months ago

There are 3 main apartments near the campus. There is an apartment complex caled "Potters Creek" past the college on the right hand side on State Street (If you're coming from Rt 62 and 77). It's about a mile past the college. The apartments are really nice, but they're a little more expensive. There are some other apartments called the "Mount Union College Apartments" close to campus as well. Those are on Union Ave. To get to those, you drive past the college on state street, and then turn right onto Union (Turn towards the Wallgreens on the corner). They will be on your right side about a half mile down the road. Thsoe apartments are much cheaper. They're a little older, but they're big and reasonably priced. There are also some other apartments called "Liberty apartments." To get to those, you would turn right onto Union Ave. (past the College) and then left onto Mill Ave. (almost immediately after you turn). If you drive straight down Mill, you will eventually run right into it. I'm not sure how much those cost, but it is cheaper than Potters Creek. There are also houses to rent if anyone is interested in that. But as for apartments, those are my only suggestions, unless you want to live farther away from campus. Hope this helped! See you all soon!

Stacey

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CWebb in Oxford, Ohio

68 months ago

Stacey- Thanks for the tips! For the houses, do you just go through a Realtor in Alliance? If so, is there a a main Realtor that handles houses for rent near MUC?

68 months ago

Umm...well, if you go to a gas station or drug strore in Alliance, they have a "Renter's Guide" or something along those lines, that will list houses and apartments for rent. You can also look in the Alliance paper, which is called the Alliance Review. They will list houses availble for rent also. I wouldn't bother going through a realtor, you should be able to find one on your own. My best friend and I lived in a house together on Mill Street, which is right by the college. There are usually houses for rent all around that area, so even if you just drive around campus you should see some For Rent signs. I hope that helps! Goodluck! Let me know if you have any more questions!

Stacey

68 months ago

Here is the link to the Alliance Review's Classified section:

www.the-review.com/.

You can find Apartments and houses for rent there! Oh and also, I would look into the houses, because sometimes they are cheaper than the apartments!

Stacey

yellow in Houston, Texas

68 months ago

so after graduation of pa program, is 100 % sure ppl who graduated able to get a job? i just want to know if every one get a job post-graduate.. i don't want to waist ma time and money................

Johns in Hackensack, New Jersey

67 months ago

Does anyone know if the umdnj and Rutgers joint pa prgram is for new brunswick or newark campus?

sam in Irvine, California

59 months ago

ana in Rosemead, California said: Hi-
I have a 2.9 and didn't get into any schools last year, but I did get interviews for both of the schools that I applied to (USC and Western in California). USC's admission director was very helpful and told me to do more volunteer work and retake any classes in which I got low grades (C's). He said I had more experience than many of the other applicants but my grades and volunteer work were holding me back. Hope this helps! Good Luck

Hi Ana! I'm working on getting into a PA prgm and am having the same difficulties as you did (as in my GPA is far from great). I was wondering if you could provide more information as far as any new feedback you got. Or any information, really, for someone with a lower- than- meets- expectation GPA. Thanks!

NORTH in Providence, Rhode Island

59 months ago

Does anyone know about acceptance at Nova Southeastern? Do they call everyone accepted into the program or are you notified by mail? I'm really anxious. Also after interviewing in other programs, what is the approximate response time?

Beila in Santa Monica, California

58 months ago

ana in Rosemead, California said: Hi-

I am in your situation, but I'm applying next cycle. What did you do in terms of work experience? I am really interested since USC's program director said you had more experience than many others. Thank you!

gstas25 in Grove City, Pennsylvania

58 months ago

Hello everyone! Has anyone tried Seton Hill in Greensburg?

jkblair in Royersford, Pennsylvania

58 months ago

Hey everyone,

I have been researching the PA field and I have decided this is what I want to do. My situation is a little tough though and I am looking for any advice anyone may have. Right now I would need to go back and get a lot of pre reqs. I have a bachelors in Business Management, so I do not have any healthcare experience. I was wondering what is the quickest way to be able to apply. I thought about getting into this 2 year college, where I received my associates, and doing the pre-physician assistant program. This would give me most of my pre reqs. But then again, i was wondering if i should just go back and get something where I could start working in the medical field, like phlebotomist or something on the lines of that. Any suggestions would be awesome.

jason

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jason Blair in Mcdonough, Georgia

58 months ago

jkblair in Royersford, Pennsylvania said: Hey everyone,

I have been researching the PA field and I have decided this is what I want to do. My situation is a little tough though and I am looking for any advice anyone may have. Right now I would need to go back and get a lot of pre reqs. I have a bachelors in Business Management, so I do not have any healthcare experience. I was wondering what is the quickest way to be able to apply. I thought about getting into this 2 year college, where I received my associates, and doing the pre-physician assistant program. This would give me most of my pre reqs. But then again, i was wondering if i should just go back and get something where I could start working in the medical field, like phlebotomist or something on the lines of that. Any suggestions would be awesome.

jason

i had to change that. I am actually in ga. Also, once in the PA PROGRAM how does one afford to pay for bills and things of that nature. I know they alot some money for living expenses, but i know it's not much. Is it around 25K? It was hard to decifer during my research.

Lexie in Olathe, Kansas

57 months ago

Does anyone know where I would be able to work for patient contact hours when I am halfway to my phlebotomy accreditation? Also, should I apply to pa schools this year and next, or just next year after I have all my patient contact hours? Thanks!

Lexie in Olathe, Kansas

57 months ago

Does anyone know where I would be able to work when I am halfway through working to get my phlebotomy accreditation. I have a total of 84 phlebotomy hands-on experience. Also, would anyone recommend me applying to PA school this year and next year after I get all my patient contact hours? Or should I just wait to apply til I fully believe I am ready?

Thanks.

Peds PA Mike in Alexandria, Virginia

57 months ago

Lexie in Olathe, Kansas said: Does anyone know where I would be able to work when I am halfway through working to get my phlebotomy accreditation. I have a total of 84 phlebotomy hands-on experience. Also, would anyone recommend me applying to PA school this year and next year after I get all my patient contact hours? Or should I just wait to apply til I fully believe I am ready?

Thanks.

You can apply while still working on your credentials, whether they be patient hours or coursework. Different programs put different weight in contact hours, and for different applicants. There is no surefire formula. So, I would go ahead and apply if your academics (prereqs and grades) are strong.

jessica in New York, New York

55 months ago

Hi Jason,

Were you given advice on this? I'm in the same boat have a BA in Business Management, not exactly a strong science background. Let me know if you have found anything out.

Best,
Jessica

jkblair in Royersford, Pennsylvania said: Hey everyone,

jason

jkblair in Mcdonough, Georgia

55 months ago

jessica in New York, New York said: Hi Jason,

Were you given advice on this? I'm in the same boat have a BA in Business Management, not exactly a strong science background. Let me know if you have found anything out.

Best,
Jessica

Hey Jessica,

I have heard many different opinions. And it seems to me the best thing to do to pursue the PA program is to just go back and sign up for another Bachelors and take the pre med courses to fill the requirement and find a way to get the hours needed. After all of my research I think the best option is the Anesthesiologist assistant possibly. Emory has the program. It is very interesting as well and does not require the patient hours. So you can start a lot sooner. I spoke with a close friend of mine and he gave me a good idea. I am not really in a position currently to (once i get the core courses done) miss working for 2 years, so I have applied to get my masters in health administration. I rather do the PA or AA because i want to be hands on, but like my friend told me. Get the masters in health that way I will still be in health care and start earning some good money that way i can take the core classes at my pace and then save up some money and pay some student loans off and then if I still want to (after a couple of years in health administration) go back and go for it. Your situation might be different. If you can go for it now, I would say definitely do it.

Jason

Jessica in Selden, New York

54 months ago

I am graduating from Stony Brook University this semester with a BS is Biology and have a 3.2 GPA. I have worked as a pharmacy technician for 2 years and also started working as a medical assistant in February. I have some volunteer experience from volunteering at my church's soup kitchen and I am going to Honduras this May to provide health care to people who live in the poor villages with the Global Medical Brigades. I just want to ask people who have applied to PA schools and/or have been accepted, if I have a chance to get into any school and what are good schools to apply to?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (76) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.