PA-C or Master Program

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 57)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

amit in Hyderabad, India

68 months ago

hi my name is amit.. am a paramedic..i am interested in master in PA program in Canada.

could any one please tell me how are the job opportunities for PA in canada??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

2ndchance in Atlanta, Georgia

60 months ago

Thanks so much for your advice. I know with the Health Science (BS)I can easily get a 4.0 GPA. As a Licensed Massage Therapist for 20 years, I am well familar with the body. I just found out the Pre-PA program is only an Associate Degree not a BS. I was not aware of an Associate Degree in PA. The school website says we can apply for our Masters at another school. I don't know is that is true. I quess I will find out more on Monday.

What is a MPH?.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Classc225@aol.com

60 months ago

Ok. Your welcome. Personally, I would apply for a masters degree level pa program. An MPH degree stands for Masters of Public Health. It is really benefitcial to obtain this degree it studies the epidemiology statistics and political implementation of laws regarding disease. It would help with your practice as a PA. I'm doing it through Walden University. Good Luck with your studies!!
Michele West-Lax
MPH Graduate Student

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shopper in Anaheim, California

60 months ago

Classc225@aol.com said: Ok. Your welcome. Personally, I would apply for a masters degree level pa program. An MPH degree stands for Masters of Public Health. It is really benefitcial to obtain this degree it studies the epidemiology statistics and political implementation of laws regarding disease. It would help with your practice as a PA. I'm doing it through Walden University. Good Luck with your studies!!
Michele West-Lax
MPH Graduate Student

Hello,
When doing your masters in public health , can you work at the same time or is it like the PA programs where it is full-time?
Thanks.

Classc225@aol.com in Los Angeles, California

60 months ago

Yes you can work. I work part time as a lab scientist at naval camp penelton clinic. I am doing my Masters Degree online through Walden University. It's alot of reading and writing. It's mostly self study and analyzations and conclusions. So if you can do it, do it. I recommend it. It broadens your job oportunities as well as understanding of the whole scope of the health field. Email me if you like. Classc225@aol.com

Michele West-Lax
MPH Graduate Student

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Christina in Sacramento, California

59 months ago

LesH in Los Angeles, California said: California is not one of those states seeking to link a PA license to a degree. If you wish to practice in Cali, RCC and LLU are both good programs that produce excellent providers that have little difficulty passing the PANCE or gaining employment. I must admit I am more familiar with RCC than LLU's program , so I'll address the RCC program .

RCC may be harder to gain admissions due to their selection process. Both programs have excellent clinical training facilities. RCC tends to have more hospital based training than other PA programs in the state IMHO. Both
programs have great faculty and strong leadership. If the MS is what you want. RCC is affiliated with St. Frances to offer a Masters in Medical Science for qualified candidates. I think folks may be able to qualify for additional FA at the graduate level through SFU.

The choice is yours of course, and it is a hard call without doing your research on the pros and cons of each program . I will say without hesitation or reservation that should you be admitted to either program you will recieve a top notch PA education.

Good luck in your future PA endeavors
Les

I am so glad that someone asked that question about RCC. I took one look at the tuition cost for RCC and nearly fainted! I've had my heart set on Stanford or UCD for so long but, now I'm not so sure. You mentioned that the selection process @ RCC? What makes RCC's selection process different?

christina.douglass@yahoo.com

LesH

59 months ago

Christina in Sacramento, California said: I am so glad that someone asked that question about RCC. I took one look at the tuition cost for RCC and nearly fainted! I've had my heart set on Stanford or UCD for so long but, now I'm not so sure. You mentioned that the selection process @ RCC? What makes RCC's selection process different?

christina.douglass@yahoo.com

Once you contact them and they explain their priorities for admissions you will see what I mean. I think they still don't interview and the application screening is much more intense at both the program and institutional level.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

Thank for replying to my question. i did not expect to recv an answer so soon :) I'll get in contact with RCC's admission offc Monday.

-Christina

LesH

59 months ago

Christina you also might want to check out this forum on PAs www.physicianassistantforum.com. They have a section devoted to PA schools. You can gain other insight there as well.
LesH

dab in Santa Barbara, California

55 months ago

Hey,
So I wanted to be an MD ever since I can remember and recently (thankfully) answered the call of "having a life" when I can still live, so I'm switching to a PA. I was hoping to go to OHSU for the MSPA program than return to CA for work. Does anyone know if that's possible? Does my state certification depend on where I graduated from?

Please help, THANKS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LesH in Visalia, California

55 months ago

Yes that is possible. Just make sure that the school is approved by the Physician Assistant Committee of the Medical Board of California and you should be good to go. In California there is no "state certification", you are licensed after graduating from an ARC-PA accredited and PAC approved program and passing the PANCE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Samina in Milpitas, California

55 months ago

Hey LESH,
Good to see you at this forum. So you are from CA....I didn't know that.......I'm very excited to see you at this forum and the way you are helping people...as always "You are life saver"....God Bless you.

Mariemom in San Joaquin valley, California

55 months ago

Hi everyone,

I have been a stay at home mom full time for the past 5 years, and have now decided to begin a career plan. I currently have enough units to transfer to a four year college and work towards completing a Bachelors degree. In your opinion, would it be best to pursue a BSN and then apply to SJVC's PA program, or complete my bachelors in another similar area, then apply at SJVC? Would a BSN be more beneficial for me in applying to PA school (SJVC would be my only option)? Also, is my plan a realistic one that is feasible with kids in school? I appreciate any advice, thank you!

55 months ago

I definitely think that you should complete some form of training that will result in direct patient care once you have completed the program. BSN sounds like a great way to go and remember to really do your best on all the prerequisite courses for the PA school you want to attend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

dab in Santa Barbara, California said: Hey,
So I wanted to be an MD ever since I can remember and recently (thankfully) answered the call of "having a life" when I can still live, so I'm switching to a PA. I was hoping to go to OHSU for the MSPA program than return to CA for work. Does anyone know if that's possible? Does my state certification depend on where I graduated from?

Please help, THANKS!

Once you have passed the PANCE, per state there are individual licensing requirements. So, yes that is possible to receive your training in one state and be licensed and practicing in another.

ahmed201 in Erie, Pennsylvania

55 months ago

Hi, I am an International student on F-1 Visa. I finished my bachelor's in USA. Does anyone know any PA schools which offer admission to international students in States?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

LesH in Visalia, California

55 months ago

Mariemom in San Joaquin valley, California said: Hi everyone,

In your opinion, would it be best to pursue a BSN and then apply to SJVC's PA program, or complete my bachelors in another similar area, then apply at SJVC? Would a BSN be more beneficial for me in applying to PA school (SJVC would be my only option)? Also, is my plan a realistic one that is feasible with kids in school? I appreciate any advice, thank you!

Hello
Congrats on your academic accomplishments. Here's the deal with SJVC, you can go ahead with your plan BUT the BSN would'nt matter to much in the big piture for SJVC. It will fulfill a HCE requirement after you have gotten 2000 hours of HCE as an RN.
SJVC does not count the HCE hours earned while in a training program. SO your plan maty take about 3-4 years. Just saying. If that's okay go for it.

If you have the academic prereqs for SJVC now and 60 credits I would recommend that you concerntrate on getting other clinical experience somehow. Medical Assistants seem to do fairly well getting into the program. Also on average 35-40% of the students accepted by SJVC in the past have an AS. Make sure that you have at least a 3.0 in all science prereqs and a 3.0 overall for SJVC. Good luck in your future PA endeavors.

Les Howard

Prospective PA in Milpitas, California

55 months ago

Hi there,

Any body from Davis PA program? Did you guys hear anything from Davis yet except telling us that they got our application?

henry in Los Angeles, California

55 months ago

LesH in North Hollywood, California said: Unfortunately no. You need a BS in something to make it work.

I have a BFA. Bachelor of Fine Arts, but currently studying to become an RT before PA. Is BFA okay?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

henry in Los Angeles, California

55 months ago

LesH in North Hollywood, California said: Unfortunately no. You need a BS in something to make it work.

I have a BFA. Bachelor of Fine Arts, but currently studying to become an RT before PA. Is BFA okay?

cjidaho in Northville, Michigan

55 months ago

First of all, why do the RT? Are you using RT to get patient care experience, if so that would be fine. You can enter a PA program with only your BFA if you have the prereq.'s that the program is looking for as well as high grades in those prereq.'s. Depending on the PA program you are trying to get into you may or may not need patient care experience at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Phlebo2729 in B M Goldwater A F Range, Arizona

54 months ago

Does anyone know if RCC accepts prereqs from out of state community college's? AND does CNA count towards the 2000 hours to enter the program? Ive been trying to get in contact with admissions for a week.. can't get in contact with anyone that knows what their talking about.

Waimea in Fresno, California

52 months ago

LesH, My goal is to apply to the SJVC PA program at the end of 2011. I've met all of the prerequisites except for the 2,000 hrs. of clinical experience. I volunteered in a hospital ER for 250 hrs. and basically performed the duties of a Medical Assistant. Will SJVC accept these hours with a letter of confirmation? I also just finished a MA program and am looking for work (volunteer/paid) in the Visalia area to complete my hours. FHCN said they won't be needing MA's for a long time due to in-house promotion from administrative positions and there seems to be a flood of MA's for very few positions. Any suggestions on clinics or other medical facilities in the area that need help?

Lesh in Reseda, California

52 months ago

I volunteered in a hospital ER for 250 hrs. and basically performed the duties of a Medical Assistant. Will SJVC accept these hours with a letter of confirmation?

Yes those 250 hours will count with a letter.

Any suggestions on clinics or other medical facilities in the area that need help?

Valley Family Health
Central Valley Health
Try the rural health clinics in Fresno area as well

Waimea in Fresno, California

52 months ago

Thank you LesH.

hopefulbecausethatsallihave in Westminster, California

49 months ago

just want some help.. n e one interview a stanford? what is it like... what questions do they ask? thanks guys.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

hopefulbecausethatsallihave in Westminster, California

49 months ago

need help interviewing with stanford.. what questions do they ask? what is it like

Maria in Longwood, Florida

49 months ago

2ndchance in Atlanta, Georgia said: Thanks so much for your advice. I know with the Health Science (BS)I can easily get a 4.0 GPA. As a Licensed Massage Therapist for 20 years, I am well familar with the body. I just found out the Pre-PA program is only an Associate Degree not a BS. I was not aware of an Associate Degree in PA. The school website says we can apply for our Masters at another school. I don't know is that is true. I quess I will find out more on Monday.

What is a MPH?.

Master in Public Health

Jasleen in Los Angeles, California

48 months ago

I quitted school right after finishing my AS degree about 5 years ago and I've been working as a Pharmacy Technician for Walgreens for over 4 years. I just decided to go back to school this Spring and currently re-taking those science courses for PA prereqs. From the info above that in 5-10 years PAs will all be required to graduate with their MS. Should I go for BS in Health Science now or go straight to a PA-C program that requires no BS and will work up for BS degree afterward? Most PA programs require health care experience. Is pharm tech considered one? Any reply is appriciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anthony in Northville, Michigan

44 months ago

Could I practice just like any other PA in Michigan if I were to attend, graduate and pass the boards if i went to a program like SJVU or RCC?

Lesh in Visalia, California

44 months ago

If there are graduates of the Cook County PA program working in MI then I would say yes.

KoloheNurse911 in Honolulu, Hawaii

40 months ago

kaiser employee in Lakewood, California said: If someone doesnt have a bachelors, and they graduate from the PA program with the ASdegree as there only degree ever. can they go straight for there masters thru this program you mentioned about saint francis?????

OMG! learn how to spell first!!

Freshman in College in Lawndale, California

38 months ago

cjidaho in Northville, Michigan said: First of all, why do the RT? Are you using RT to get patient care experience, if so that would be fine. You can enter a PA program with only your BFA if you have the prereq.'s that the program is looking for as well as high grades in those prereq.'s. Depending on the PA program you are trying to get into you may or may not need patient care experience at all.

Can you please tell me which PA programs don't require patient care?

JC in Brawley, California

38 months ago

PT in Riverside, California said: Hello
I'm a PT interested in becoming a PA... I'm looking RCC (a JC) for the certification program, that cost only about $3000 for the whole program and Loma Linda University, which is a masters program, which is about $70,000 for the whole program. I know it seems like a no brainer, but I'm not so comfortable with becoming a PA from a jc... just sounds weird to me.

So there really is no difference with certification and masters once you're out in the field? it's just a title huh? i hear that some states are trying to pull that PA's will be required to have a MA soon.

The way i see it, this my education and for the sake of the patients that is on the line here. Do i pay less for less education, or pay more for for the title, more education?

ahhhhhhh help~!

I know a PA who went to that school. After his internship he got a job here at the hospital and made like 85K starting, no experience. Just be willing to travel.

JC in Brawley, California

38 months ago

JC in Brawley, California said: I know a PA who went to that school. After his internship he got a job here at the hospital and made like 85K starting, no experience. Just be willing to travel.

Sorry, That school being RCC. I think you should pay less for the education if you can. There is always talk of some new regulation. If you at least have a career already and money coming in, you can afford to go back to school, and your employer may help the cost. Get your foot in the door ASAP.

tdesai2 in Jackson Heights, New York

38 months ago

I am currently looking at MS programs for PA school but I've been told that salary and coursework for bachelors is the same for a bachelors and the programs are much cheaper especially for city schools. I already have a bachelors and a masters and I thought that would be degrading. My dad wants me to save money and go to a BA school. Any advice?

Hunter in Bakersfield, California

38 months ago

I'm a sophomore in Bakersfield, California. I noticed some old posts from Bakersfield in this thread.

I did not realize that there were Associate degree PA programs like SJVC which is not very far from Bakersfield.

I had figured I needed to get a Bachelors before entering a PA program. While I am understanding that AS/BS/MS all get paid similar, I am also under the impression that employers would much rather take the BS/MS over an AS when the time comes to actually interview.

What are any of your thoughts on that? PA is certainly becoming more popular, and with the floods of desperate people trying their luck, I wonder just how precious getting a BS or MS would be.

My main problem is the 2000 paid hours. I noticed some schools did not say "paid" such as Western while other schools didn't even state hours as a requirement.

I am currently volunteering at a local hospital but it is hard to get that many hours per week. I'm afraid I would be nowhere near 2000 hours by the time I graduate in two years.

Sometimes I just feel like applying for an Associate program because I have the gpa, and I have almost all the requirements done, but I doubt I would be competitive with the thousands of nurses/medical assistants, Respiratory techs also applying.

It almost seems easier to just get into medical school and I wouldn't need 2000 hours of work. Figuring that after graduating from college, another 1-2 years for gaining the hours needed, then another 2 years in the PA program, is like 4 years of medical school already.

P.S: I noticed lots of grammar problems with people's posts. A few here and there is nothing I stress over, but wow, some of these posts were so bad it made me wonder a little bit!

Cheers

LesH in Northridge, California

38 months ago

It sounds like the MS programs would be a better fit for you. The California non MS PA programs tend to look for applicants with significant HCE. Of course there are always exceptions to every rule. Finish your undergrad and maintain at least a 3.4 in the science prereqs. Community service is always valued, some programs value participation in the state PA academy. Good luck in your future PA endeavors.
LesH

Sam8nj in Kearny, New Jersey

37 months ago

Guys I need help please specially from those who are already PA's and have experience in the field-- I have been researching on this topic for the past weeks, have called PA association in NJ & NY, etc, but NOONE gives me a clear answer.. I have a BA in Biology graduated last year and have applied for some MS and BS pa programs in New York since Jersey only has two MS programs.. anyway if i do get interview for any of these, at the time of deciding where to go (MS or BS), i want to know what is the difference between practicing as a PA with a BS or MS degree. I know that all these programs are accredited and have the same time of curriculum and each give certification, but degree is different. But Im wondering when looking at Sophie Davis comparing it to for example Touro college that offers an MS degree, the tuition difference is huge... WHen I asked why they told me everything is the same, but i dont know, i mean if theres is such a difference in tuition then there most be a reason... Im scared that if I do the BS program, once i become certified and graduate, once I look for a job i may get a lower pay or I dont know.. I know ther has to be a difference. I know NY state allows BS and MS PA to practice, however Im not sure about NJ.. regardless of what it is I need to know what the difference is before I make a decision if i do get accepted.. Please guys help me out im confused. I know some will ask why I am going for a BS in PA if i already have a BA degree, but the BA programs caught my attention in that their tuition is cheaper and also main reason i applied to those is because deadline for these are usually later in the year, i was kinda late for the MS programs.. HELP HELP HELP. I will greatly appreciate your time and honesty...

ashleigh in Ozark, Alabama

37 months ago

does anyone know about the primary care associate program at standford? if anyone on here is attending or has attended could you answer some questions for me? thanks

ashleigh in Ozark, Alabama

37 months ago

anyone on here attended stanfords primary care associate program?

si7ver5un in Palo Alto, California

37 months ago

ashleigh in Ozark, Alabama said: anyone on here attended stanfords primary care associate program?

Hi ashleigh,

sorry for the late reply. i'm currently in the stanford PCAP program. :)
you can email me at gracee57@gmail.com for questions. Please make sure you put something in the subject so i don't think it's junk mail :P

decidingschools in Boston, Massachusetts

37 months ago

Hey all,

After being accepted to Quinnipiac University and UMDNJ, now Stanford offered me an interview back in Cali. I do have doubts about their program, what's the deal with the lack of a Masters degree from Stanford, and where does Foothill College really come in? Where are the classes?

Thoughts anyone. I already decided to go with Quinnipiac over UMDNJ, both incredible schools.

thanks!

si7ver5un in Palo Alto, California

37 months ago

decidingschools in Boston, Massachusetts said: Hey all,

After being accepted to Quinnipiac University and UMDNJ, now Stanford offered me an interview back in Cali. I do have doubts about their program, what's the deal with the lack of a Masters degree from Stanford, and where does Foothill College really come in? Where are the classes?

Thoughts anyone. I already decided to go with Quinnipiac over UMDNJ, both incredible schools.

thanks!

awesome~! congrats on your acceptances~!!! I would highly recommend going to the interview for STANFORD since you received one. It's so competitive and the fact that you got is great~! it's a great chance to ask about the program and just to see what else is out there~!

I have a bias because i'm a current STANFORD PCAP student... but i really like the program~! the staff are all so super friendly, including the director who i have personally spoke with several times not because i went looking to talk to her, but she was there and just came up to me to ask me how i was doing. they know about each student which i think is sooo amazing and says a lot.

as for the Masters Degree... you can actually get it through an abridged program from Saint Francis Univeristy, which is what i'm doing. you don't start it until you start clinic, so you don't have to worry about it while you're in classes~!

Foothill college comes in with the price. STanford's program is pretty cheap compared to other private schools. so you end up realy paying Foothill not stanford, but classes are all on Stanford Med campus, except a couple of times where it's on middlefield campus which is close, like 10 min from stanford.

even if you've decided, i think it's still really a good idea to come interview, and ask them the questions about your doubts and all the questions to have. it's an option, might as well look into it, and in the end, if you choose not to go, at least you won't have to wonder about it~! :)

ashleigh in Dothan, Alabama

37 months ago

i would like to know more about the pcap at standford. anyway you could email me and we could chat that way or i could give you my number. thanks ashleigh

scsurflife in Pasadena, California

36 months ago

Les,

I was wondering how many attempts it may take for a potential candidate to gain entry into RCC's program. Is it super competitive? Do you have any personal knowledge of how many times it took a RCC grad to gain entry?

thanks,

Michael

scsurflife in Pasadena, California

36 months ago

Les,

I was wondering how many attempts it may take for a potential candidate to gain entry into RCC's program. Is it super competitive? Do you have any personal knowledge of how many times it took a RCC grad to gain entry?

thanks,

Michael

Lesh in Visalia, California

36 months ago

scsurflife in Pasadena, California said: Les,

thanks,

Michael

Sorry Michael I don't know.
LesH

Gabriel in Los Angeles, California

36 months ago

Hi everyone !

I am in my 40`s, I am looking for PA program in Los Angeles California, some advices? Thanks.....

jose in Kottayam, India

36 months ago

i graduated with a bachelor degree in MBBS from india in 2009, recently i got a permanant visa to US.. i want to take a masters course in PA. i have seen that the pre-req for many colleges require a 3 credit course for stats, i hve not taken math after high school, my undergraduate course required me to be through only in science topics. how can i combat this prob? can i take the course in a community college? how can i go about to pursue my goal in enrolling into a good college.. i have very limited knowledge regarding how the college system works in the states.. please help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.