Want to become a PA, but am I too old to start.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 97)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Lindsay in Miami, Florida

72 months ago

Go for it! You only live once so if it's really something you're interested in pursuing, there should be nothing stopping you. Honestly, my mom is 52 and my dad is turning 60 in a couple of months and if they said anything like this to me, I'd think they were crazy because they're still young to me.

If you're really worried about not getting hired because of your age, look up and familiarize yourself with The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA) so you know your rights.

And as far as going into debt is concerned, student loans are pretty low-interest (see the financial aid department at the school you want to attend and fill out a FAFSA form) and associate degrees are relatively inexpensive. You can apply for scholarships too. Additionally, most PAs make a pretty decent salary and you can always look to see if there are any loan forgiveness programs in your area or state. There are tons of options, you just have to research them a little.

Live the life you want to live, not the one you think you should have!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Terry in Rochester, Michigan

72 months ago

Thanks for the inspiration, I think I will follow my dream. Thanks for the finacial aid information also.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

No problem! Good luck with everything!

Also, as far as medical experience goes, there are a few medical programs that are pretty short that could get you into the field so you can start getting experience. In Florida, EMT and CNA degrees take about a semester or two to obtain and while they usually don't pay very well, it'll get you the experience you need (plus you don't necessarily need to do them full-time to get the experience). While you're doing that, you can always start getting all your pre-reqs out of the way.

I think the most important thing to remember is to take it one step at a time...if you start to look at everything at once, it can feel overwhelming. I have to keep reminding myself of that too...just to take it one semester at a time, one test at a time, etc. But I'll get there and so will you! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Major Matt in Johnston, Iowa

72 months ago

I'm a Military Medical Professional Officer Career Manager. I recruit almost every type of Graduate Medical Professional... MDs, DOs, DDS, RN, LISW, Clinical Psychologists, PAs and PA Students, Med Students and Dental Students.
Don't worry about age. I've seen 40-50 y.o. PA, MD, and DDS Students. Be prepared to assume 85-105K in student loans (private or public PA Programs are the same cost). If you go MD/DO, you're going to take out 150-240K. If because of your timeline, you're not going to be able to pay these back, you may want to reassess goals.
I tell my advisees,
1. This is a strategic commitment which will take years to achieve your goal.
2. When applying to medical education programs - worry about the BIG 4.
a. Grades and major. If you already have a degree, ensure your prerequisites meet the requirements. If not, you're going back to make up the difference.
b. MCAT/DAT/GRE/GMAT.
c. Clinical Experience
d. The additional *distinguisher* that gets you noticed.

My advice - two options.
There are advanced practice nursing programs which admit people who have hard science backgrounds and puts them through a MSN program in 24 months. Look at the University of Iowa's program, and compare it to one in your area.
If there's not one available, you may want to apply to an ADN/ASN program at a Community College for an immediate, short term return on your investment and see what opens up from there.

Lastly, I'm not always right - and I'm willing to admit it. If there's someone out there who has another idea. I'll defer to their better judgment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

thank you too in Stevens Point, Wisconsin

72 months ago

I did not know about the advanced practice programs for nursing!

Also, Terry? In WI, at least, the PA programs are looking for people who will commit to working in the rural areas of the state...I think it eau claire...the school in UW-Madison school is very picky about how much clinical experience you have though...they give preference to anyone who has it...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Amy in Saint Cloud, Minnesota

72 months ago

Thanks so much for the direct, informed comments Major Matt! Just what I was looking for. I also really appreciate the supportive "you can do it too" comments, but real figures really help, and also the time/experience information.

So, you see, it wasn't *only* the age (and ageism), but also, do I have time to pay back the loan(s), make enough money and still stash something for retirement... or forget it as being impractical?

It sounds like the PA route might still be viable, but pretty late for any traditional MD stuff.

Amy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Gary Friedman DPM RPA-C in Old Bridge, New Jersey

69 months ago

Major Matt in Johnston, Iowa said: I'm a Military Medical Professional Officer Career Manager. I recruit almost every type of Graduate Medical Professional... MDs, DOs, DDS, RN, LISW, Clinical Psychologists, PAs and PA Students, Med Students and Dental Students.
Don't worry about age.

Major Matt: You're quick with a "dont worry about age" reply but you didnt respond to the original question.

Would you hire a 60+ YO PA?

Please tell these kind folks the policy of the Military re: age...
The OP is S**T out of luck getting hired by the military because of age!

Look...Anyone with the ambition and drive and the ability to do well in a competitive academic environment can graduate fropm a PA program..

However, at 60 years old, you will find significant bias - a practice may not like the idea of training you knowing that, at best, you'll be around 5-10 years.

I was licensed as a PA in 1980 (Brooklyn hosp/LIU)...worked for 10 years..licensed in Podiatry -podiatric surgery (DPM) in 1990...

Practice folded in 2001 - Spent a couple of years in podiatry and PA work...
I have spent the last 10 months seeking a full time PA private practice - age is definately a factor. Hospital work is more available, however, it's more demanding and pays less.

Starting a new career as a PA at 58 yo is a big risk.The business of medicine has been changing in a downward path for the last 10-15 years -
And with Dems mostly running both the White House and congress - its not good for the entrepeneur/PA's pocket.

I have a number of MD/DPM colleugues that cannot continue practicing re: malpractice costs, poor Medeicare reimbursement and peanuts from the HMOs.

Sorry for the gloom and doom but Medicine is not the best field right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Thanks for your comments, some very good points. I realize in the end I will be the one to make the ultimate decision, good or bad. But before I do, I need to understand what I am getting into and can it be right for me, then determine if there is a burning desire to conquer it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Doug in Alpharetta, Georgia

69 months ago

Seeing you have a wife that is a nurse, she should be a good source of advice and inspiration. Although the physician assistant program would be beneficial and rewarding, you may be better off becoming a nurse, and then a nurse practioner. Their are accelerated programs, and the cost will be less. You will have more options when your done, and the way the laws are now, you can be independent. Go figure, less education, less clinical practice, and your allowed to be independent, thank God for good lobbyists. Anyway, good luck. I would start out at a junior college, transfer into a four year program that has a nurse practioner option, and then continue with your doctorate when you graduate, or get it online at Rocky Mountain University in Utah.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Kay in Douglasville, Georgia

67 months ago

There's several programs that offer accelerated 10 or 12 mos BSN degrees for those with previous degrees... just google it. There's many 12 mo programs, they are intense and all reputable. I saw a program at GA St. that was an "accelerated" bsn, but it was 16 MONTHS! I thought, the poor soul who enters that and finds that they could've completed the same degree/training in 12 mos. Also, I know some who have gone a quicker route... with a previous bachelors, they've entered an accelerated ADN or ASN program, gotten into the job field and worked on their BSN online. Also, consider a direct entry MSN degree, but it would be noteworthy to consider a program that would specify a BSN was earned at midpoint in case you decided not to complete the longer MSN route. All of these options are easily found with some research, just need to be flexible. There's even a second-degree accelerated BSN offered on the weekends for 24 mos part-time... I saw one based in Orlando, FL and possibly others exist...but that's a pretty good option if you need to continue working full time. For people in remote areas or with no options, it might even be worth catching a cheap flight every weekend for a year, who knows. There's a 2 semester ADN or ASN program at Lady of Lakes (or something like that) college in Louisiana for those with a previous degree...you come out as an R.N. just like the other BSN programs. Yea, you don't have the BSN, but you may never need it (adn and bsn's get paid the same starting out as an R.N.), and if you do need the bsn to advance in a year or 2, just get it online on your own time. There's a ton of options out there, the important thing is to do what you have a passion for and don't settle for something out of fear. LIFE is short, and you only go around ONCE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

DM in Harrison, Ohio

67 months ago

I'm in Cincinnati and i'm an LPN. The closest program to me is in Kettering, Ohio about 45 miles away. I'm wanting to sign up for their Bachelor in Science Human Biology (Accelerated for those that want to be PA's) I was skeptical because i'm 29 and i was thinking of how old i'd be when i graduated. However this forum had helped me make up my mind. I don't know the first thing about a real college, i went to vocational school for my LPN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

pkirkll in Lancaster, Pennsylvania

67 months ago

Terry in Rochester, Michigan said: Would apreciate any feed back about going back to school to become a PA. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Physics and a grade point average of 3.1. I have worked all my life as Automotive Engineer in the Detroit area, but that is now drying up and I need to think of the future. My wife is a RN, and I have a keen interest in medicine, and have been all my life. I have virtually no experience in the health care field at this date, nor biology or anatomy classes. The only obstacle, I feel, I have is my age, 58. But, I think I have the drive and the desire to accomplish this. Can anyone give me any inspiration or advise. It would be appreciated. Thanks.

I was thinking hard about PA school($$$$$) but went the 2 yr RN route instead. Now i have worked9$$$$) for 2 years as an RN.

i have been accepted for FNP school in New Orleans that pays my tuition with no strings! One day per week classroom....

I am 55 years old in March and i don't find a bit of age discrimination ....except maybe that the nurse managers and doctors like me better because i may seem to be more mature at times,,,LOL....Go for anything God tells you to,,never give up on yourself!!!!

BTW-- you can work as you go,, for Rn/FNP,,,you cannot work and go to PA school at the same time. No way,,most of the schools tell you that upfront.....i only have a total of 6500 dollars owed on my nursing education and made 67,500 last year,,,,,,,yeah, i should have paid it off!....

paul

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

kashmiri1 in Birmingham, United Kingdom

67 months ago

I'm 55 and just started PA course!!! Go for it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

chazam in Arden, North Carolina

67 months ago

All the comments about PA school being INTENSE are right on the money but if you want it bad enough you can make it happen. I did it in at almost 40 as a single mom of three. Dare to follow your dreams!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SharonRR in Lewistown, Pennsylvania

67 months ago

I am also interested in becoming a PA, but wondering if it's possible at 38. I am currently a Med Tech with a BS in microbiology(3.4 GPA). There is only one school I can possibly attend(Lock Haven) because I'm married with 2 children. Moving is not an option. I only need two prereq. I am beginning statistics this spring and then anatomy. Any advice for getting into Lock Haven would be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pebcle in Cleveland, Ohio

67 months ago

Age discrimination is a factor in all occupations (I suspect that companies that offer health insurance don't want the increase in fees that hiring a "senior" -- anyone over 40 y/o -- will bring). If you can pay your living expenses & tuition, I'm sure that among the many suggestions about education options, you will find a cost/time ratio that works. I'm 57,a veterinary technician burn out survivor (medical degree, folks!) w/an academic scholarhip @ the prestigious Baldwin Wallace College but unable to pursue my Bachelor Degree w/no additional funds. I had no help from a local reemployment center or AARP to translate my 13 + years of experience & education into another medical field (laboratory science/pharmacology/radiography/surgical assistance/anesthesiology/pre & post op nursing skills).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Laverne in Miami, Florida

66 months ago

I was considering going to PA school at Miami Dade College. Does anyone have any information about the school. It's an associate 3 year program. I'm 45 years old and I was also wondering if I was too old to take on the student loans and to get into the field. I have no previous college and no previous medical. I worked in business for 25 years. This forum is really helpful thanks for all the comments. Any comments would be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Kay in Villa Rica, Georgia

66 months ago

I don't think you're too old at all. I've known PA's older than you that had also made a career change. I think in this field experience and wisdom are appreciated, and age is not a factor. Remember that in 3 years you'll be the same person you are now, but hopefully not looking back wishing you'de followed you're dreams. Theres many student loan repayment plans for the medical field, and you may be in a better financial spot for returning to school than if you were younger, plus you may have a great support system around you. I see people in their 40's making career changes all the time, and I always think "way to go".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Traci in Salt Lake City, Utah

66 months ago

SharonRR in Lewistown, Pennsylvania said: I am also interested in becoming a PA, but wondering if it's possible at 38. I am currently a Med Tech with a BS in microbiology(3.4 GPA). There is only one school I can possibly attend(Lock Haven) because I'm married with 2 children. Moving is not an option. I only need two prereq. I am beginning statistics this spring and then anatomy. Any advice for getting into Lock Haven would be appreciated.

I just interviewed at Lock Haven and made the final review, I find out at the end of feb whether I get in or not. Keep in touch, I'd be glad to send you my caspa app (if I get in) so you have something to compare yourself to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Thanks for the comments Kay. I have been doing research for the past 6 months and I am close to making a decision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Laverne,

Go see an advisor at the Medical Campus. They are very helpful there and should be able to give you all the details you need...remember to ask them about getting an AS vs a BS as a PA career-wise. You can also go to the financial aid office too and see if you would qualify for any grants or loans once you decide that you want to go through with the program. Don't go to the Kendall campus for advising...they're so grumpy over there! Plus the wait times are a lot longer at that campus.

Here's a link to MDC's PA program for more info, if you haven't already been to their site: www.mdc.edu/medical/AHT/PA/default.asp

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Thank you Lindsay for the advice and insight, seeing an advisor is my next step.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Traci in Salt Lake City, Utah said: I just interviewed at Lock Haven and made the final review, I find out at the end of feb whether I get in or not. Keep in touch, I'd be glad to send you my caspa app (if I get in) so you have something to compare yourself to.

Traci
Thanks so much for responding. I would appreciate any advice you could give me about Lock Haven or any other aspect of the "PA process". What is your background? What was the interview like? It's nice to hear from other individuals going thru the same crazy situation.

Mike Y. in Las Vegas, Nevada

66 months ago

Am interested in becoming a P.A. after i finished my current degree.

I'm a young guy..at 20 right now. And I want to keep pushing onto new things.

I was wondering what is required to become a P.A.? I live in Vegas, and attend UNLV right now. They have a P.A. program that i took a look at.

My main question is , how much $$$$ will be spent on P.A. school?

My choices for my future are either becoming a P.A. ...or a Pharmacist. Or something in the healthcare field other than Surgeon/Doctor.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brandie in Pearland, Texas

66 months ago

Terry in Rochester, Michigan said: Would apreciate any feed back about going back to school to become a PA. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Physics and a grade point average of 3.1. I have worked all my life as Automotive Engineer in the Detroit area, but that is now drying up and I need to think of the future. My wife is a RN, and I have a keen interest in medicine, and have been all my life. I have virtually no experience in the health care field at this date, nor biology or anatomy classes. The only obstacle, I feel, I have is my age, 58. But, I think I have the drive and the desire to accomplish this. Can anyone give me any inspiration or advise. It would be appreciated. Thanks.

I am 45 years old. After 25 years of office work, I decided to become a RN thru comm college ADN RN 2 yr RN. I love it and RN;s make good money. You can succeed at the bio and anatamy classes if you work hard like we did. Forget age, nurses are in a major shortage and will be for yrs to come. I am going into Er/Trauma where you know step by step what to do to save a persons life. just like your job as automotive Eng, step by step you know what to do for that car same in medicine. Go for it! and don't be intimidated by students loans it is how we all get thru school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Charlesap in Coopersville, Michigan

66 months ago

I'm 59 and also an engineer. I'm not sure what a PA is, but with your education and credit transfers you may not have far to go to get any degree you want. I know what might be going through your mind. Shall I invest the money and the time to get what I really want or shall I just retire and putz with the grandkids. I read where people who lived to be over 100 had three things they consistently helped them reach an advanced age. The first was a positive attitude, the second was to actively pursue a passion, and third was the ability to move forward after the loss of a loved one. You may have 42 years left so get with the program.

Chuck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Agreed! in Stevens Point, Wisconsin

66 months ago

I love you attitude Chuck!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice. I weighed in on all the cons and pros of starting a brand new career in medicine aiming at a PA position down the road and have decided to pursue a different career path. I have a Bachelors in Physics, and I have been accepted on the MS Physics degree here in Michigan at Oakland University. I will pursue teaching physics at community colleges. Again, thanks for everyone's helpful advice and encouragement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Traci in Salt Lake City, Utah

66 months ago

SharonRR in Lewistown, Pennsylvania said: Traci
Thanks so much for responding. I would appreciate any advice you could give me about Lock Haven or any other aspect of the "PA process". What is your background? What was the interview like? It's nice to hear from other individuals going thru the same crazy situation.

I am graduated. I have worked on an ambulance for the last 5 years, in the ER of a Trauma One center for 3 years, and now for the last 3 months I have been working in Clinics to get a better grasp of the roles PA play here, lots of pt care hours etc
The interview was Great they are super nice and easy to talk to. I would suggest buying the book "Getting into the PA school of your choice" and joining www.paeaonline.org/directory/index.htm If you send me your email I will send you my caspa application if you'd like

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Traci in Salt Lake City, Utah said: I am graduated. I have worked on an ambulance for the last 5 years, in the ER of a Trauma One center for 3 years, and now for the last 3 months I have been working in Clinics to get a better grasp of the roles PA play here, lots of pt care hours etc
The interview was Great they are super nice and easy to talk to. I would suggest buying the book "Getting into the PA school of your choice" and joining www.paeaonline.org/directory/index.htm If you send me your email I will send you my caspa application if you'd like

My email is srburdick@verizon.net

How many slots does Lock Haven have in their program? I heard that they may be
expanding.

lilbird in Omro, Wisconsin

65 months ago

I have a question...I was going to go into a clinical technologist program. I have a B.A. in Biology from Ripon College (wi), and went to grad school in ecology for 1.5 years. I got out of there partly due to feeling a little discrimminated/health reasons...i have epilepsy. I have been thinking about going to P.A. school in neurology because I KNOW i would be passionate about it...i got a 3.4 at Ripon and a 2.88 at the graduate school. I don't feel like I qualify at all.

I am only 23, so i know there is plenty of time to figure things out...but what would you do? I just moved home (madison area), and can't find a job for the life of me. Life is def. handing me lemons right now...I am very enthusiastic, and am in the clinical technician program for the fall...but have been hearing bad things about that career path...and how underappreciated they are...plus I love interacting with people!!! Any advice..maybe i should take some prereqs and volunteer? I have no clue!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lin in Frankenmuth, Michigan

64 months ago

Is 57 too old to start LPN classes? Would I have trouble finding work, after graduating? Where should I start ? What college would be best in my area. Also, is a compass test for placement only? Math is a little hard for me.

64 months ago

Is 57 too old to be an LPN? Is the compass test for placement only? I Am a little stressed with math.But do well in the other subjects. After graduation, would I have A hard time being hired?

64 months ago

lin in Frankenmuth, Michigan said: Is 57 too old to be an LPN? Is the compass test for placement only? I Am a little stressed with math.But do well in the other subjects. After graduation, would I have A hard time being hired?

THank you .From, Linda from Frankenmuth, Mi.

dean in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

63 months ago

I am about to graduate from PA school. I am 58 years old. With the economy the way it is and with health care changing I see the future is wide open for RN's and PA's. The health care field is a great place for job security.

good luck,

dean

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kristine in Los Angeles, California

61 months ago

I'm 38 years old and want to become a PA. However, I still need to obtain my bachelors degree; I've been searching and it looks like I would need to attend a 2 year college, then a 4 year university, then I will be able to apply to PA school. Also, some PA schools require some health care "hands on" experience for at least 1-2 years. I have no medical experience what so ever, my back ground is the insurance industry. I figure by the time I'm done with all the schooling I will be 46 years old. So is 46 too old to get into this field?? I have been intrigued and interested in medicine since my early twenties when I used to be a secretary for a doctor but my life went in another direction. I am ready to make a career change, and this would be a very interesting career for me. I live in Southern California, can anyone advice me on the best path to obtain my goal? Thank you, your feedback is appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Annie Attitude in Chicopee, Massachusetts

61 months ago

GO FOR IT...since there is a shortage of primary care physcians right now, there will be jobs alright...and it pays pretty well, real well!...HOWEVER, if you really want to do this, you must get a job in direct patient care immediately...the PA programs are very competative, and they give preference to those who have health care experience...also, with respect to the two year degree, only go that route if you are assured all of your credits will trasfer...so, get inot an undergram program asap and work in a nursing home, or whatever direct patient care you can find. GOOD LUCK and you are NOT too old. Us nonTrads actually have a great rep, in school and at work...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Annie Attitude in Chicopee, Massachusetts

61 months ago

dean in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: I am about to graduate from PA school. I am 58 years old. With the economy the way it is and with health care changing I see the future is wide open for RN's and PA's. The health care field is a great place for job security.

good luck,

dean

yep, tis true! went back to school 3 yers agao to get into health care...PA's and NP's are going to fill the need for more PCPs!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

ANNIE - Thanks for your advice, I started looking for a medical job on line last night; it's not easy because all the postings I came across want experienced personnel. But I won't give up, I know I will find something. I figure I can work in the medical field and go to school at the same time, with the experience and education, I should not have any problem being accepted to a PA school.

beth in Aliso Viejo, California

61 months ago

Kristine - don't let your age deter you. We had "mature" students in our class that did great and are wonderful PAs. Use your life and career experience as a selling point. Look into shadowing at LAC+USC county hospital. They have a good program there that will give you some experience if you have the time. Your approach is good - do the prereqs while you are working in a medical job so you get experience and finish the school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

beth in Aliso Viejo, California said: Kristine - don't let your age deter you. We had "mature" students in our class that did great and are wonderful PAs. Use your life and career experience as a selling point. Look into shadowing at LAC+USC county hospital. They have a good program there that will give you some experience if you have the time. Your approach is good - do the prereqs while you are working in a medical job so you get experience and finish the school.

Beth - Thanks so much for your advice, your feedback helps a great deal. Are you familiar with any hospital in the Inland Empire that offer good programs as the ones offered at LAC & USC? The thing is that I live in Fontana (San Bernardino County-Inland Empire) which is 1 hour east of Los Angeles, the 1 hour commute is with no traffic and you know that's a rarity in Southern California so in reality the 1 hour commute turns to 2 1/2 to 3 hours. It would be great if there are hospitals with these programs closer to home. Thanks again Beth, your input is appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dgc in Oxford, North Carolina

61 months ago

At age 46 I still wasn't "the oldest student" in my PA class at Duke. Anything is possible if you have the determination and are willing to make the necessary sacrifice. I spent six years before entering PA school taking all the science pre-reqs while teaching school full time. I spent weekends as a volunteer "medical assistant" at an inner city clinic to fufill the "medical experience" requirement. Duke has an excellent PA program and looks favorably at "non-traditional" students. I do have a large student loan to pay back but there are alot of good jobs out there that offer loan repayment. I am now realizing my dream of practicing medicine. Ask yourself this question.."When I am 90 years old and look back on my life, what will I wish I would have done that I didn't do"....then ask yourself what is stopping you! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

dgc in Oxford, North Carolina said: At age 46 I still wasn't "the oldest student" in my PA class at Duke. Anything is possible if you have the determination and are willing to make the necessary sacrifice. I spent six years before entering PA school taking all the science pre-reqs while teaching school full time. I spent weekends as a volunteer "medical assistant" at an inner city clinic to fufill the "medical experience" requirement. Duke has an excellent PA program and looks favorably at "non-traditional" students. I do have a large student loan to pay back but there are alot of good jobs out there that offer loan repayment. I am now realizing my dream of practicing medicine. Ask yourself this question.."When I am 90 years old and look back on my life, what will I wish I would have done that I didn't do"....then ask yourself what is stopping you! Good luck!

Thanks so much for you, this is exactly what I'm going to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Kristine in Los Angeles, California said: Thanks so much for you, this is exactly what I'm going to do.

I meant to say, thank you so much for your advise. Sorry for the typo.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Keeta in Palatine, Illinois

61 months ago

Hello,
I hope somebody can help me with my questions.
I would love to become a physician assistant..It has been a dream of mine for years. I am 46 years old..I hope I am not to late to enter the field.

I do not have a BA degree, but I do have 18 years of medical experience in hospitals and clinics, and I specialize in Dialysis.

I would like to know what schools would take someone like me?
What student loans are available to me?
Is it to late to register for the program. I already have 4.0 GPA
I have two years of college behind me in medicine.

Would deeply appreciate the help.

Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LesH in Visalia, California

61 months ago

I have seen students enter PA programs in their 60s and do well, complete the program and become certified PAs. The oldest PA student I know is 70 something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

kcar in Jamaica

61 months ago

I am a 55 year old Radiographer from Germany working in a diagnostic centre in Jamaica, Caribbean. I always dreamt about becoming an Ultrasonographer and signed up last September with the Burwin Institute in Canada. It is a 'home study course' with practical sessions under the supervision of the local Ultrasonographer / Sonologist. The course is very hard and one has to put a lot of concentration into studies. The fact that I am working full time in X-ray and study my theory in my spare time is sometimes overwhelming. But when you actually find pathology that is vital to patients' wellbeing during your practical sessions, it is wonderfully satisfying. I am not sure if I will ever pass this course, (especially the physics) but the experience of learning something new is completely uplifting ! Age should not be a hinderance, go for it and stay focused, everything else will fall in place. And since I write from Jamaica I always remember Bob Marley's encouragement in a song: 'When one door closes another one will open !'

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Thank you so much for the encouragement, It is intresting you would post a comment, My family is From Jamaica! I have lived there during the summer with my grandparents and aunts and uncles..You are really lucky. I will take your advice, and take on the course..At the moment I am getting ready to take psychology courses in Florida. Thanks so much for the encouragement.

Keeta

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Thank you for the input..I shall go ahead and do my best..Thanks for the encouragement.

Thanks,Keeta

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kcar in Jamaica

61 months ago

@Keeta et al: glad to hear that you will be taking up the new challenge. Even if you do not get a job right away after your studies, at least you have learnt something new which is very satisfying to one's soul, as money is not everything but knowledge and skill !! In mid-life we sometimes feel that "This can't be everything"... as we have more to offer and have not reached our ultimate potential yet ! away from the subject matter: I am in Negril @ Keeta, so whenever you come back to Jamaica you must get in touch with me so that we can share thoughts. Again: One Love !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.