complex SE time vs non-complex SE

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

skysurfer in San Diego, California

65 months ago

Hi,

I'm currently PP with IR and have about 40 more hours left for Commercial. I was thinking that it might look better for a future airline job if I had more complex time but wasn't sure. Is it worth the additional cost to get the remaining 40 hours in a complex or high performance aircraft as opposed to a more basic single engine?

Thanks for your reply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

skysurfer in Carlsbad, California

65 months ago

Thanks for the comment DLP, I appreciate your help.

nicebirdgallo in Conway, Arkansas

65 months ago

As a former CFI, Commuter Airline pilot and laid-off Corporate pilot, my suggestion is to fly for fun only, get a real recession-proof job like engineering, and save your money.

I know you love to fly. I know how much fun it is. But trust me, save yourself years of debt, hard work and disappointment. Unless your daddy is a senior pilot for Southwest or Delta, you will struggle, and cause your family hardship.

If you must pursue an aviation so-called career and a vow of poverty, get all the multi time you can, stay local, work for a good corporate or cargo company if you can, and train for a back-up job.

Good luck.

skysurfer in Carlsbad, California

65 months ago

Nicebirdgallo,

That's a good suggestion, and luckily I'm in a position where flying doesn't HAVE to be my career, I think I would just be happier if it were. I currently have an engineering job, but it doesn't really interest me....it seems that if I'm willing to go overseas I can get a better foothold in an entry-level FO position. A friend of mine flies for a small airline in a south Asian country and their chief pilot said that with multi-engine commercial and a type-rating for their aircraft (Dash-8) they would have a job for me. This was, however, a year ago prior to the sharp economic downturn. I figure if I do that for a few years I should be more marketable with the larger airlines. Any thoughts?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.