Where are the most stable Pipefitting/Welding jobs? Union or NonUnion???

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (32)

Shawna in Los Angeles, California

81 months ago

My husband is a welder/pipefitter in the union with experience in hot tapping, pipe fitting, welding (yes he has his certs), and more. He has been in the field for 15+ years. He is 2 months away from becomeing a journeyman. He joined the union as a third year apprentice and in the last 3 years has been laid off many times due to lack of work. We are in Southern California. The pay is great, however I need him to work consistantly for our family. Are we in the wrong state? Should he leave the union. Is it possible to have a stable career in this trade, or is this what I have to look forward to forever? Just a wife wanting to know other pipefitters opinions on this. We are willing to relocate, but do not want to if it is going to be the same somewhere else. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (135) / No (62) Reply - Report abuse

Stevenkgfc in Greensboro, North Carolina

58 months ago

I am here in NC started welding a year ago and found it is the greatest thing i have ever come across, i always respected welders and got a shot at going to school for free from the state so i took the opportunity and worked my ass off day and night to get as good as i am now. I have now worked in one of the largest solar fields on the east coast doing most all welding and general construction. And what i have learned so far is that NC is tough. I look at other states along the east coast mainly union states and the wages and treatment seem better. I am not even making enough to get by on my own. I think its all in who you know and can get in with down here but as far as what i have seen and who i have talked to Union is the way to go for Construction jobs such as welding and fitting. A well paid and taken care of person is worth way more than a poor, uncomfortable one. Although this may be alot of people and myself have to keep dishing out quality work at low wages just to hold on and wait for a better opportunity. My bet would be trying to move to a union state ive seen some pretty fair jobs in VA and Maryland with OT pay and benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

crazyplumber in South Bend, Indiana

37 months ago

If you "WHITE CARD" in to a Plumbers/Pipefitter Union. How do you go about changing your "CARD" to Pipefitter?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Helpful REAL advice in Norfolk, Virginia

36 months ago

I would say try and move to a state around alot of shipyards/mill. base's in the area they tend to hire UNION comp. to do there work THE RIGHT WAY... I know because ive been working none stop for 8 years and thats with the same comp. the og. owner died his wife got it ran it into the ground sold it and now we r doing great agian, there was some rough times but we have made it threw it all, we have contract with the shipyard here last 4years and then it will come up agian and we only lost the base 1 time in 20years thats when the owner wife took it over... But id check into moving fla,va,ga,tx area..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Pipefitter1 in Los Angeles, California

36 months ago

crazyplumber in South Bend, Indiana said: If you "WHITE CARD" in to a Plumbers/Pipefitter Union. How do you go about changing your "CARD" to Pipefitter?

There are different ways to go out as a "Pipefitter"
1.Pick up a travel card
2.Get sponsored by a Company that will vouch that they have a minimum of 3 months work for you
3. Get on a job and accumulate the needed minimum hours to change over.
(3) Areas here in Calif. that need Union Fitters and Welders able to pass the given test. At the top of my head are:
1. LAX
2. High Desert (Palm Springs, Desert Hot Springs, Blythe)
3. Refineries

I suggest you call the local halls and see what, where and how long the job is scheduled for before heading out.
Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bitterfitter in Lakewood, Ohio

36 months ago

What's happening in West Virginia? We are thinking of relocating. Im a 13 year union fitter/welder. I have steady work here. Not alot of overtime though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

UnionContractorNeedsDetailers in Oakland, California

35 months ago

SF Bay Area has alot of work right now. Especially need good piping/plumbing detailers, skilled in ACAD and CADMech. Union or not, if you know what you are doing , it won't matter. Comment on my post with exp and we can figure out how to get in touch.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

andruu4 in Gresham, Oregon

33 months ago

SF Bay Area has alot of work right now. Especially need good piping/plumbing detailers, skilled in ACAD and CADMech. Union or not, if you know what you are doing , it won't matter. Comment on my post with exp and we can figure out how to get in touch. -

How can I get in touch with you, UnioContractorNeedsDetailers? I am currently in New Orleans, LA in my second year of my UA apprenticeship, looking to relocate to the Bay Area... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

andruu4 in Gresham, Oregon

33 months ago

UnionContractorNeedsDetailers in Oakland, California said: SF Bay Area has alot of work right now. Especially need good piping/plumbing detailers, skilled in ACAD and CADMech. Union or not, if you know what you are doing , it won't matter. Comment on my post with exp and we can figure out how to get in touch.

How can I get in touch with you, UnioContractorNeedsDetailers? I am currently in New Orleans, LA in my second year of my UA apprenticeship, looking to relocate to the Bay Area... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jordyn in Grande Prairie, Alberta

31 months ago

northern alberta is wer its at. i came up here from vanvouver. my brother is a pipefitter. takes home 8000 a month after tax. lots of work up here in the oilfield.

i love the oilfield.
earth first.. we will drill the other planets later

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa in Marble Falls, Texas

30 months ago

Not sure if anyone can help me but I'm giving it a try. I am in search of my brother! Last I heard he was a pipefitter for the Union, somewhere in Texas. I wanted to see if there was someone I can contact that could possibly get ahold of him for me. I don't know anything about the Union or how it operates so please don't get upset with asking for help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jvar7829 in Salt Lake City, Utah

24 months ago

Darrin in Houston, Texas said: It's like that here in Houston also. It seems we have a thousand plants in our area, but the maint. jobs last longer than turnaround work, but turnarounds you make more money so it's kinda a catch 22. I've worked maitenance for a year and made $55,000 and worked turnarounds (shutdowns) and made $80,000. If he can get on permanent at the plants then its mostly permanent. Here, even a maint. job for a contractor isn't permanent. I do know this. I've been a pipefitter for 25 yearsand do know regardless of your political views, when a democrat is in office, our work shuts down compared to when a republican is in office

how do i get more information about how to get trinng as a pipefitter

jvar7829 in Salt Lake City, Utah

24 months ago

Darrin in Houston, Texas said: It's like that here in Houston also. It seems we have a thousand plants in our area, but the maint. jobs last longer than turnaround work, but turnarounds you make more money so it's kinda a catch 22. I've worked maitenance for a year and made $55,000 and worked turnarounds (shutdowns) and made $80,000. If he can get on permanent at the plants then its mostly permanent. Here, even a maint. job for a contractor isn't permanent. I do know this. I've been a pipefitter for 25 yearsand do know regardless of your political views, when a democrat is in office, our work shuts down compared to when a republican is in office

HOW DO I GET TRAINING AS A PIPEFITTER. I MEAN THERE ARE NO SCHOOL OUT THERE , NOT THAT I KNOW . jvar7829@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Susan@vip-staffing.com

20 months ago

We have awesome opportunities for Pipe Fitters and 6G Welders in the New Braunfels, TX area. These are long term, full time jobs. If you want stability and great benefits working for one of the biggest international companies in the world today, email me your resume for immediate consideration!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

fitterdude in Denver, Colorado

16 months ago

Shawna in Los Angeles, California said: My husband is a welder/pipefitter in the union with experience in hot tapping, pipe fitting, welding (yes he has his certs), and more. He has been in the field for 15+ years. He is 2 months away from becomeing a journeyman. He joined the union as a third year apprentice and in the last 3 years has been laid off many times due to lack of work. We are in Southern California. The pay is great, however I need him to work consistantly for our family. Are we in the wrong state? Should he leave the union. Is it possible to have a stable career in this trade, or is this what I have to look forward to forever? Just a wife wanting to know other pipefitters opinions on this. We are willing to relocate, but do not want to if it is going to be the same somewhere else. Thanks

Some of these people don't know what there talking about first of all individuals don't carry a R certification companies do ....all pressure vessels and related piping are governed by the ASME code Section 9 most pipefitters carry a ASME B31-1 or B31-3 cert under that classification are several different procedures . a UA 63 seems to be the one that will get you into most locals as a traveler . if your looking to set tel down and stay in one town or state your going to find the work to be feast or famine,I'm in Denver the work is booming here mostly commercial work and the quality of life is very nice but I don't expect the boom to last more than two years . the high desert in California has a lot of work for the next ten years Why don't you know about this ?
If your willing to travel your husband can make a lot of money I have a friend that spent 11 months in Indiana and made $130 k . I was working in Blythe Can last year and was making $8k a month but come June the heat drove me out. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

steve in Niles, Michigan

14 months ago

Im looking for big ot work. Good pay. Any word brothers?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

m.malone in Decatur, Alabama

14 months ago

skin in Carrollton, Georgia said: I am out of the local 72 in Atlanta and I can tell you now you do not want to come to the 72.. bunch of politicians. They have given up our weekends to straight time, overtime is straight time, the benefits suck and the mighty dollar has taken focus over the brotherhood.
the 72 has treated other UA so bad they wont even come back to the job. Fluor is the contracter anf they are raping us....
I hope the infection hasnt spread to all UA's.

how is local 72

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mariahbegay in New Mexico

13 months ago

iweld in Phoenix, Arizona said: no one seems to have mentioned shipyards, they run a lot of different kinds of pipe, as well as exotic pipe metals. they seem to be busy in western states that are on the pacific as well as yards in louisianna, even wisconsin has some shipyards if you live up there, but whats really going on in the south right now is hvac , jobs are plenty pay is good prevailing wage does happen it's non union and it's not going anywhere because July in Phoenix isn't either buildings always need chiller systems or re piping of some kind.

Hi my name is mariah so it is good go to the union im a welder

Erik in Vancouver, British Columbia

13 months ago

jordyn in Grande Prairie, Alberta said: northern alberta is wer its at. i came up here from vanvouver. my brother is a pipefitter. takes home 8000 a month after tax. lots of work up here in the oilfield.

i love the oilfield.
earth first.. we will drill the other planets later

Hey, I am interested in becoming an apprentice for pipefitting and move up north alberta with my family. Is your brother a journeyman already? Could I become his apprentice?

Vovvie in Upland, California

11 months ago

Erik in Vancouver, British Columbia said: Hey, I am interested in becoming an apprentice for pipefitting and move up north alberta with my family. Is your brother a journeyman already? Could I become his apprentice?

My son would be interested. He is a journeyman. Do you have a contact in Alberta I can pass along to him?

Vovvie in Upland, California

11 months ago

Any stable pipefitter jobs for a journeyman with multiple certs?

SmcgregorVIP in San Antonio, Texas

11 months ago

Vovvie in Upland, California said: Any stable pipefitter jobs for a journeyman with multiple certs?

Jobs in New Braunfels Texas!! Email resumes to cblythe@vip-staffing.com... Industrial Manufacturing, stable fortune 500 company!!!

john in Pass Christian, Mississippi

10 months ago

Shawna in Los Angeles, California said: My husband is a welder/pipefitter in the union with experience in hot tapping, pipe fitting, welding (yes he has his certs), and more. He has been in the field for 15+ years. He is 2 months away from becomeing a journeyman. He joined the union as a third year apprentice and in the last 3 years has been laid off many times due to lack of work. We are in Southern California. The pay is great, however I need him to work consistantly for our family. Are we in the wrong state? Should he leave the union. Is it possible to have a stable career in this trade, or is this what I have to look forward to forever? Just a wife wanting to know other pipefitters opinions on this. We are willing to relocate, but do not want to if it is going to be the same somewhere else. Thanks

tell him to google a magazine called "the industrial tradesman". it is a $22 magazine that lists hundreds of jobs your husband would have no problem getting. everyone is screamig for good pipefitters right now. im a pipe welder, trust me. i hear them crying all the time for good fitters

Septfirst in Grant, Michigan

10 months ago

john in Pass Christian, Mississippi said: tell him to google a magazine called "the industrial tradesman". it is a $22 magazine that lists hundreds of jobs your husband would have no problem getting. everyone is screamig for good pipefitters right now. im a pipe welder, trust me. i hear them crying all the time for good fitters

Any jobs in FL ???

Revkretzer in Virginia Beach, Virginia

6 months ago

Vovvie in Upland, California said: Any stable pipefitter jobs for a journeyman with multiple certs?

I have temporary openings I am needing to fill for pipe fitters and TIG pipe welders in Baxly GA. $28 hour plus per diem. Lasting anywhere from 5-15 weeks.

If you know anyone interested let me know
revkretzer@yahoo.com

J.deronde in Baltimore, Maryland

5 months ago

So I am getting ready to retire from the United States Army where I have been doing construction for over 20 years with a specialty in Plumbing. The UA is now offering a program to Veterans called Veterans in Piping. It is a 18 week accelerated pipe welding program with a guarantee for Union work and a 5 year apprenticeship. I have been military my whole adult life and have heard good and bad about joining a union. Can any one tell me if they think this is a good move for me and my family. Also how is the Union work in North Carolina? How are the wages? Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jmcarter0527@gmail.com

3 months ago

I'm about to graduate from welding at a tech school and all of this crap makes me want to rethink my choice of trade.thanks

Dave

3 months ago

There is no such thing as stable work in the trade try Texas it is going off right now but mostly non union bummer

Dave

3 months ago

No such thing as stable work in this trade u have to hustle to stay busy and travel lot of work in texas mostly non union bummer! Seattle needs welders salt lake city. These are union. Southern California has some jobs on the books nothing takeing hands yet good luck I am from so cal I am in nebraska right now

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dmelo22 in Sicklerville, New Jersey

3 months ago

Hello I live in sicklerville nj and I'm in a union (local 57) in Philadelphia PA I been in the Union for 7months and trying to move my family to a better place in the US to find Union labor work what do u think is the best place to work in the union in the Us

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hlavender in Tuscaloosa, Alabama

1 month ago

Does any one know of anything in the south (MS, AL, GA, TN, TX)my husband is in South MS right now and has been there since he was laid off from his shop job in March that he had been at over 4 years. He is a piper fitter and we know this job he is at now is about to come to an end soon, any leads would be great. Thanks!

hlavender in Tuscaloosa, Alabama

1 month ago

My husband is a member of local 372 based in Tuscaloosa, Al.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.