Question/Advice from Pipe welders, Amp settings for pipe test, Machine recommendation

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Jacant in Lafayette, Indiana

54 months ago

I am taking a pipe test in 3 weeks, 2"XXH E6010 root, E7018 cap. Question #1 What should my amp/heat range of settings be on root and the cap. Question #2 I'm going to buy a machine off ebay or rent a machine to practice. Not sure if I would be okay with a Miller 150STH or Lincoln 160-T or basic Lincoln arc machine. Or if I should go straight for Miller Maxstar 200. My question here is, how much should spend or what level machine should I look at to make sure my practice is not lost in a crappy machine. Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Also, Later I'll be taking a same pipe with GTAW Root ER70S-2 / SMAW Cap E7018 filler metal. Any recommendations on the setting??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Larry A Robinson in Missoula, Montana

54 months ago

Psst....practice with as many different machines as you can get your hands on. Your question leads me to believe that you are not ready for your 6G test. No two machines weld alike, even smae model and MFG, they change as they get older. To determineAmp there are many variables that will effect the performance such as:

Temperature of the pipe and ambient temp
Pipe diameter and schedule (thickness of parent metal)
Dryness of rod (5% from rod over or off shelf?)
Diameter and quality of leads and ends
Manufacturer of rod (Hobart does not weld the same as Lincoln etc)
Grounding point (direct to work or common Bldg ground)

So you see there are many variables and the way to handle it is to know your weld ..... you are the biggest variable. Two welders can use all the above for the same weld and weld with up to a 20 amp difference. Some like it hot and fast and some like it slow and methodical (just like girls!)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Larry A Robinson in Missoula, Montana

54 months ago

Larry A Robinson in Missoula, Montana said: Psst....practice with as many different machines as you can get your hands on. Your question leads me to believe that you are not ready for your 6G test. No two machines weld alike, even smae model and MFG, they change as they get older. To determineAmp there are many variables that will effect the performance such as:

Temperature of the pipe and ambient temp
Pipe diameter and schedule (thickness of parent metal)
Dryness of rod (5% from rod over or off shelf?)
Diameter and quality of leads and ends
Manufacturer of rod (Hobart does not weld the same as Lincoln etc)
Grounding point (direct to work or common Bldg ground)

So you see there are many variables and the way to handle it is to know your weld ..... you are the biggest variable. Two welders can use all the above for the same weld and weld with up to a 20 amp difference. Some like it hot and fast and some like it slow and methodical (just like girls!)

Talk to your training co ordinator, the hall should have machines you can use or schedule you to practice at another hall. Your Union brothers will be more than willing to show off and help you out!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

boogiemanslayer in Owensboro, Kentucky

47 months ago

my advice is if you have that many unanswered questions you need not waste your money driving to take test stay home and save your gas money and ur feelings

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.