ALBERTA CANADA

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 109)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

easthants in Stony Plain, Alberta

53 months ago

There are cart loads of jobs here for fitters; while the local union has scads of work, do not overlook non-union jobs as the pay and benefits can be just as if not better than union.

I find that the out of town (camp) jobs are largely non-union.... though that is just my opinion. Camp jobs pay better & while at camp there is little to spend your money on ;)

Best of luck with your job hunt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Pipefitter in Strausberg, Germany

53 months ago

Hello,
here's a tip for Pipepitter!

looking at EBAY after "Worksheet Pipefitter"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

kevin in Cornwall, New York

52 months ago

I was one of the first to sign up at 638 and have had no word. I was supposed to get an email from 488.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

beamrider747 in Bakersfield, California

52 months ago

Last I heard.....they were supposed to have a big call @ 1st week of April....I know they pushed everything back a couple of weeks....working out some transport problems......we'll see

if u r not on this website....join....great work info available here groups.yahoo.com/group/roadtrash

GOOD LUCK !!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

bnds449 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

52 months ago

Haven't heard a thing since we were supposed to leave 3 weeks ago. Our BA said it was pushed back 2-3 weeks. Have not heard a word since. I passed on a couple long term jobs here in Pittsburgh while waiting and there aren't many. I also have about $700 invested in this trip already, so how long do I wait? I'm not even sure this is going to happen now. Any info would be helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tolekay@comcast.net in South Bend, Indiana

52 months ago

bnds449 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Haven't heard a thing since we were supposed to leave 3 weeks ago. Our BA said it was pushed back 2-3 weeks. Have not heard a word since. I passed on a couple long term jobs here in Pittsburgh while waiting and there aren't many. I also have about $700 invested in this trip already, so how long do I wait? I'm not even sure this is going to happen now. Any info would be helpful.

Hey pipefitter in PITT.............I am so feed up with the B.S.about this job.Is this the FIRST SPRING SHUT DOWN for these contractors up there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

tolekay@comcast.net in South Bend, Indiana said: Hey pipefitter in PITT.............I am so feed up with the B.S.about this job.Is this the FIRST SPRING SHUT DOWN for these contractors up there?

No. I think the do a couple shutdowns per year, however this one was to be a big one. I heard that the last big one they did they hired mostly foreign workers (mexicans, phillipinos or whatever) and it was a disaster. Now they have recruited competent UA hands from the U.S. and they are pissing them all off. I don't get it. I have called 488 but they will only answer questions from BA's, so earlier today I sent an email to 488's temporary foreign worker organizer. I will post another comment if I get a reply (LOL).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kevin in Cornwall, New York

52 months ago

I was one of the first to sign up in my local to go to Canada. Just read that "some" members out of 180 who signed have been contacted. I was not one of them. If any of you have heard from Canada, how did you hear? email, phone call? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

i got pimples on my butt in Valley Stream, New York

52 months ago

It looks like not as much work in canada as we where told. Not the first time I 've been lied to by a union official or a contractor.BROTHER FROM PITT TAKE THE NEXT LONG TERM JOB I know i would

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Allan Ferrara in West Warwick, Rhode Island

52 months ago

Larry A Robinson in Missoula, Montana said: Tar Sands project is scheduled to star Mid March. Local 488 Edmonton. Hiring 3500 to 5000 welders and fitters $44 Canadian on the check currently that's $42 US 6/10 shift with Friday 1 1/2x and Saturday 2x Have you Business Agent call the Detroit Local for US specifics

Iwould like to know abut this job coming up so please contact me on my e-mail

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Allan Ferrara in West Warwick, Rhode Island

52 months ago

I would like to know how to get involed in this job in canada. I'm a jouranymen Pipefitter

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

tolekay@comcast.net in Mishawaka, Indiana

52 months ago

Larry .............where have you been? This job is a cluster a mess. There is not communication from the CANADIAN LOCAL 488. If you read some of the posts on this page you Will find the same . DONT WASTE YOUR TIME .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

they r jerking our chains didn't even return my bm or one of my ba 's phone calls

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

look at their web site they just signed a agreement with suncor maybe things r going to move now

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BigRob in North Las Vegas, Nevada

52 months ago

Thanks for saying the job got pushed back # 2-3 weeks. I've been tripping-on-that, there were # 16 out of Local # 250, Los Angeles. I'm the last to sign-up! Go to the # 488 website & click on the " AGREEMENT." If you read towards the bottom, locals work # 17 of # 19 days. US Fitters & Welders work *LESS DAYS* & are off a few days afterwords. Where does the " BIG $$$ " come in??

out of work over 5 months in Valley Stream, New York

52 months ago

easthants in Stony Plain, Alberta said: There are cart loads of jobs here for fitters; while the local union has scads of work, do not overlook non-union jobs as the pay and benefits can be just as if not better than union.

I find that the out of town (camp) jobs are largely non-union.... though that is just my opinion. Camp jobs pay better & while at camp there is little to spend your money on ;)

Best of luck with your job hunt.

what does it look like any idea when they are gonna call travelers

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

in too long in Valley Stream, New York

52 months ago

still no news from alberta this blows

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Crazyplumber in Mishawaka, Indiana

52 months ago

Gentelmen ......I have really given up all hope for the Canada job .Why ????? Well word has it ,( it's really not hard to beleive this ) The 2 biggest union local have brought there guys jobs up there !!!!!! I get this from a very good union friend . They say that those 2 locals are sending 1000 guys per local . Well why the hell did I got out and spend almost $800 dollars on a laptop and a passport (I'll never use ) for from what I was told "IT'S SURE THING ". Maybe being out of work for almost 9 months makes you gulable or stupid and desperate ? I do know one thing for sure, time to just look out for youselfs now. If this is what they call "BROTHERHOOD" ,I sure missed something at the union meeting ! Anyone else here something like this ? Must be true because I have had my paper work send up there and confirmed in NOVERBER. So dont hold your breath waiting for a call from the north because after hearing that you will most likely drowned . God Bless all of you and may we ALL find work soon and hopefully it's "A SURE THING "

52 months ago

Crazyplumber in Mishawaka, Indiana said: Gentelmen ......I have really given up all hope for the Canada job .Why ????? Well word has it ,( it's really not hard to beleive this ) The 2 biggest union local have brought there guys jobs up there !!!!!! I get this from a very good union friend . They say that those 2 locals are sending 1000 guys per local . Well why the hell did I got out and spend almost $800 dollars on a laptop and a passport (I'll never use ) for from what I was told "IT'S SURE THING ". Maybe being out of work for almost 9 months makes you gulable or stupid and desperate ? I do know one thing for sure, time to just look out for youselfs now. If this is what they call "BROTHERHOOD" ,I sure missed something at the union meeting ! Anyone else here something like this ? Must be true because I have had my paper work send up there and confirmed in NOVERBER. So dont hold your breath waiting for a call from the north because after hearing that you will most likely drowned . God Bless all of you and may we ALL find work soon and hopefully it's "A SURE THING "

what local unions r those i belong to a local with 7000 member lu638 and we haven't heard s$%$ . Now if u want to go rat go ahead just don't blame everyone else. i heard they r gonna mobilize by may the latest. a shutdown this size was bound to be screwed up.They said april so it's may only a month off. If they tell us in a week and it'sa more then they're no good so don't say anything is best maybe I don't know I just want to work anywhere in the U A

Rybo in York, United Kingdom

52 months ago

Hi,

I'm hoping to find work as a pipefitter in Canada, Alberta either on a 12 month work visa or permanent resident. I'm a 22 year old time served pipe fitter. I've worked on numerous pipe work systems with a variety of grade steels on fabrication and site installation. I'm looking at applying next year for the visas. Can anyone tell me if there would be a good chance of me finding work being a young English pipefitter? Would my age be a disadvantage? I currently have just under 6 years experience. I've heared that I would be required to take aditional exams for Red Seal etc...??

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Rybo in York, United Kingdom said: Hi,

I'm hoping to find work as a pipefitter in Canada, Alberta either on a 12 month work visa or permanent resident. I'm a 22 year old time served pipe fitter. I've worked on numerous pipe work systems with a variety of grade steels on fabrication and site installation. I'm looking at applying next year for the visas. Can anyone tell me if there would be a good chance of me finding work being a young English pipefitter? Would my age be a disadvantage? I currently have just under 6 years experience. I've heared that I would be required to take aditional exams for Red Seal etc...??

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

north america is dead just read the post u might be able to go to canada on the non union side but i doubt it they r pulling everyones chain try to get into a union somewhere at least then u can travel without having to prove yourself every time good luck it's not a easy life

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Big Rob in Las Vegas, Nevada

51 months ago

I use to talk like that on applications. What you should do now is serve a # 5 year apprenticeship in " STEAMFITTER ", tell the union your experience at the interviews. Have an older " JOURNEYMAN " read your application before you turn it in. It sounds a little " CORNY ". I'm A " BTJ STEAMFITTER " Local # 250 Los Angeles, Ca. Explain this Layout Formula ( 3 + 4 = 5 )??? ** GOOD LUCK KID...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

out of work over 5 months in Valley Stream, New York said: north america is dead just read the post u might be able to go to canada on the non union side but i doubt it they r pulling everyones chain try to get into a union somewhere at least then u can travel without having to prove yourself every time good luck it's not a easy life

Cheers for the help. I was hoping to go across on a visiting visa first and drop a few resumes to companies who may be interested and look at some accomodation.

What would the pay be like for someone with British qualifications? Would they need to be transfered via exams? Not sure what is meant by red seal and journeyman??

Again any help would be of much appreciation

Thanks

51 months ago

Rybo in York, United Kingdom said: Cheers for the help. I was hoping to go across on a visiting visa first and drop a few resumes to companies who may be interested and look at some accomodation.

What would the pay be like for someone with British qualifications? Would they need to be transfered via exams? Not sure what is meant by red seal and journeyman??

Again any help would be of much appreciation

Thanks

grad of a apprenticeship or a quality test=red seal call the canada local we've been waiting on lu488 there web site will have all info you need ua local 488 young man like u they might actually answer good luck

Effx33 in Madison, Ohio

51 months ago

From what my BA heard is that they are having problems with foreigners and that now they want guys with a "Red seal" and that you have to have a certificate in order to work in canada. Thats what they told my BA. What I find disturbing is that American unions will allow guys from canada and even Novia Scotia into the States and work with no problems but yet American union guys have a real hard time getting into Canada and other countries...Arent we all UA members? And when will America stop taking care of everybody else and start taking care of there own first!!? Wish you all the best of luck and hope we all get a job...I dont care how many entitlement programs our goverment comes up with..if people arent working there will be now way to pay for them ESPECIALLY this wonderful health care program that is so great that the politicains wont be on!? Go figure?

51 months ago

Effx33 in Madison, Ohio said: From what my BA heard is that they are having problems with foreigners and that now they want guys with a "Red seal" and that you have to have a certificate in order to work in canada. Thats what they told my BA. What I find disturbing is that American unions will allow guys from canada and even Novia Scotia into the States and work with no problems but yet American union guys have a real hard time getting into Canada and other countries...Arent we all UA members? And when will America stop taking care of everybody else and start taking care of there own first!!? Wish you all the best of luck and hope we all get a job...I dont care how many entitlement programs our goverment comes up with..if people arent working there will be now way to pay for them ESPECIALLY this wonderful health care program that is so great that the politicains wont be on!? Go figure?

what foreigners there not lettng any of us up where do you mean mexicants phillippnooos. i hope the place blows up and lays waste to half of canada if thats what they are doing.Hopefully they will need us again lets just remember what happened and shut them out

51 months ago

canada is dead they are almost done filled up with all there own my bm got the email on monday telling him thx but no thx

Big Rob # 250 in Las Vegas, Nevada

51 months ago

I'd like to say to all you UNION JOURNEYMEN brothers, " at the next Union meeting, bring this subject up & put a motion on the floor to have a committee ( Organizers ) to gather information about the Certs - RED CARD - Permits - Passport we need on file so that the next time we'll be ready to GO!!!
Canada are going to build some kind of " Oil Recovery Refinery " to pump out all the oil near the surface & under. A Union Organizer drew me a drawing of the Tar Sands, Horseshoe shape Pumping Refinery Project that is supposed to start at the end of this year or so. Its to last # 2 - 3 years out of the "BACK STABBING" union # 488.
" ENJOY YOUR LIFE BROTHERS,DRINK A BEER WITH ME IN VEGAS "

51 months ago

They treat thier UA brothers in the US like mushrooms. They keep us in the dark and feed us lots of bu11sh!t. Thanks Local 488, you guys are a real class act!

51 months ago

out of work over 5 months in Valley Stream, New York said: grad of a apprenticeship or a quality test=red seal call the canada local we've been waiting on lu488 there web site will have all info you need ua local 488 young man like u they might actually answer good luck

cheers,

I was thinking about contacting local companies like the Fab shops. Would anyone know if they would be happy to take on someone like me??

out of work over 6 months now in Valley Stream, New York

51 months ago

not in nyc

Bogus in Saint Louis, Missouri

51 months ago

I am steam fitter at the WoodRiver Riffinery..Il

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Bogus in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I am steam fitter at the WoodRiver Riffinery..Il

so

51 months ago

I'm very proud of you. wtf?

51 months ago

really

Allan Ferrara in Coventry, Rhode Island

51 months ago

Ihad flint energy call me on 5-3-10 about work once i told them i was in the United States i was told it was canada pipefitter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Allan Ferrara in Coventry, Rhode Island

51 months ago

I notice that most of you pipefitters are union i am not maybe that's why i don't know and they realie didn't ask.I hope you guys get the work out there because there's nothing out here.

BIG ROB # 250 in Las Vegas, Nevada

51 months ago

CHECK OUT " P L C " in Atlanta Ga. They are hiring Pipefitters. They are saying the job is in Canada, and you join the union when you get out there.
GO GET THEM; " TIGERS "... If a Union Brother hooks - up on this lead, put a note here where we can read it & send me a case of that Canadian BEER!!!

Bogus in Blue Springs, Missouri

51 months ago

Big Rob You have the phone of PCL in Atlanta..?I couldn't retrieve it from the web..thanks

BIG ROB # 250 in Las Vegas, Nevada

51 months ago

PCL Industrial Constructors Inc.
Edmonton & Area, AB. "Western Canada" ( Go to this Web & get the phone # OK )
PIPEFITTERS / PIPE WELDERS INDUSTRIAL JOB ID # 1478 $ 40.33

** HIRING NOW ** Take your Travel Card with you, they will have you join the Union there once hired.

*** I better get a Bottle (#5th) of some of that Good'ol Canadian Whiskey for this!!
" GOOD LUCK MY UNION BROTHERS "

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Sure, Get your passport, CA approved boots and fill out the clearance paperwork for Local 488. Then pack your bags because they could call you any day - then you will be all set! But here is the catch - THEY NEVER CALL! They will not respond to e-mails or phone calls either. Maybe since you are from India you will have a better chance than 5000 of their "Union Brothers" from the U.S. that got teased by America Jr. Have you been living on the moon for the past 9 months? Good Luck Apu!

crazyplumber in South Bend, Indiana

47 months ago

THIS WAS THE BIGGEST JOKE ........WORK UP IN CANADA......WHAT A BIG FAT LIE ..........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mynewlife in Tipperary, Ireland

46 months ago

Hi guys, hey i'm irish and i'm moving to toronto in january, do i need to do a course to work as a pipefitter in canada or will my irish trade cert coner me?? also is there much work around the Toronto area???

Wild1Bill in Streamwood, Illinois

46 months ago

LOL you guys are so funny. I am a Union Carpenter in the states and I have worked up in Canada twice since 2008 doing Scaffolding. I remember the first time I was up there I ran into a guy from Local 488 and he could not understand why no one from the USA would come up there for work in 2008 and now you guys are crying they are not calling you up there as soon as put your paperwork in.
Just some info for you all this phase of the Shell Scottford job was to be complete in Sept 2010, I know there are 2 more expantions planned but not sure if they will happen soon or not. The new Redwater job is set to restart up this year after being put on hold in late 2008. Then there is the Totell job that was saposed to start this year too but I have not heard much about that one.
Myself and many other scaffolders were told to expect calls this past March and April to go back up but we never got the calls. From what I hear all the shutdowns were rescheduled in a way to keep the locals working all year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Wild1Bill in Streamwood, Illinois said: LOL you guys are so funny. I am a Union Carpenter in the states and I have worked up in Canada twice since 2008 doing Scaffolding. I remember the first time I was up there I ran into a guy from Local 488 and he could not understand why no one from the USA would come up there for work in 2008 and now you guys are crying they are not calling you up there as soon as put your paperwork in.
Just some info for you all this phase of the Shell Scottford job was to be complete in Sept 2010, I know there are 2 more expantions planned but not sure if they will happen soon or not. The new Redwater job is set to restart up this year after being put on hold in late 2008. Then there is the Totell job that was saposed to start this year too but I have not heard much about that one.
Myself and many other scaffolders were told to expect calls this past March and April to go back up but we never got the calls. From what I hear all the shutdowns were rescheduled in a way to keep the locals working all year.

How does a guy get some ROCK SOILD INFORMATION about PIPEFITTING WORK up there ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Wild1Bill in Glen Ellyn, Illinois

46 months ago

If you guys realy want to work up there do some research online and look for the companies that use pipefitters and call them directly. If they need people they will bend over backwards to do all the paperwork and get you up there.

46 months ago

Does any one have a phone number for the Union hall I once heard this the only why to get a job up there in Alberta -steamfitter - pipefitters -welders ?

Rob in Calgary, Alberta

46 months ago

During the last boom, quite a large number of tradesman where being flown to Ft. McMurray from Newfoundland and other eastern provinces. Not sure what the employment levels are right now but you can rest assured that any labor shortfalls will be made up in a similar fashion. Not to say that American tradesman will be locked out. Just want you guys to know there's more competition then you may realize.

Wayne in Leduc, Alberta

43 months ago

The premier is expecting worker shortages of 70,000 trades people by 2014. There was lots on the go prior this financial crises. Pretty much all the big jobs got shelved. Now that oil is back over $90 the jobs are creeping back. Everything is in engineering phasing now. Totals upgraded scrapped outside Edmonton. Shell scrapped it's upgrader plans, suncor has a partially build upgraded in ft mac they scrapped. Fort hills cancelled. The list goes on. Lasts month total and suncor agreed to finish voyager starting in 2011. Imperial is currently building kearl lake supposed to pick up summer 2011. The northwest upgrader is going to start ground work end of 2011 outside Edmonton. Cenvous and cnrl are planning expansions next headman as well. Everything at present is extremely slow, only locals are working. Hope that clears up some confusion

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

brian dogleg in Manchester, United Kingdom

43 months ago

is there any employers in either BC or ALBERTA, CANADA looking to relocate a scottish pipey to your vast country

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.