Starting a Pipefitting/Steamfitting apprenticeship

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (47)

James in Saint Albert, Alberta

84 months ago

I am looking to start a pipefitting/steamfitting apprenticeship in alberta.Preferebly edmonton.Do I need to go to nait for the technical training first..or can i just find a journeyman to take me on as an apprentice with no experience.If so do you know any good places where I might be able to be taken on as an apprentice.

j

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (304) / No (62) Reply - Report abuse

Dallas Adderson in Calgary, Alberta

74 months ago

I am looking to start a career in the pipe fitting/steam fitting trade in calgary. however I am having a hard time finding companies that will hire me as an apprentice. Do I need to get hired on by a company before I can take my first year apprenticeship, if so do you know of any companies that are hiring.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (96) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Chad Stacey in Grand Bank, Newfoundland

73 months ago

Hi I'm 20 years old and I am lookin for a job anywhere in alberta or here in newfoundland if possible in the pipefitting/steamfitting trade. I am a certified pipefitter/steamfitter, i went to centrac college and done a 9 month course in the piefitting/steamfitting trade and i enjoy this trade very much. So if anyone is interested in hiring me or wants me to send them a resume, my email address is cheminem99@hotmail.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (59) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

andre in Burnaby, British Columbia

71 months ago

Hi

I am a first year apprentice at BCIT in vancouver bc. After I finish the program I will have completed my first yr apprenticship and 700 hours toward my second year. I am very interested in working in edmonton or fort mac. Since I am the first american accepted in the program, I will need a pipefitter company to offer me a sponcership. Its a very simple process but I m finding that alot of companies and telling me that I have to have a work permit to work for them!

Does anyone know of any companies in edmonton or fort mac that will or have sponcered workers in pipefitting?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

BobSolid in Surrey, British Columbia

70 months ago

Right now the union is slow, not alot out there for starters, and only a few positions for 2-4th year app. also keep in mind that in alberta pipefitting/steamfitting apprenticeship was changed from 4 to 3 years as of june 2008.This means new apprentices only do 3 years, with no welding in the program. 4th year apprentices will still have one semester of training to attend to obtain J man status. If you can get in through a union company as a starter, most of them will sign your apprenticeship papers through the gate, get them signed as soon as possible. You must have 90 days worked and bluebook on file with the hall to become a full member. Sooner papers are signed, sooner you get book, which can take awhile.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

BobSolid in Surrey, British Columbia

70 months ago

Sorry i am member of the 488 in edmonton, im just in surrey visiting right now for the record.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tjm in Wapwallopen, Pennsylvania

69 months ago

Chad Stacey in Grand Bank, Newfoundland said: Hi I'm 20 years old and I am lookin for a job anywhere in alberta or here in newfoundland if possible in the pipefitting/steamfitting trade. I am a certified pipefitter/steamfitter, i went to centrac college and done a 9 month course in the piefitting/steamfitting trade and i enjoy this trade very much. So if anyone is interested in hiring me or wants me to send them a resume, my email address is cheminem99@hotmail.com.

apply to a local union hall.. its 5 years of night school but its worth it!! your not gonna make any money unless your in a union

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Chance in Red Deer, Alberta

68 months ago

Hey guys, Hows it going.
So I've decided that im going to take the pipefitting/steam fitting trade, i just need a company to fill out my apprenticeship papers to get a job, any one know of any companys highering in red deer or surrounding area, who would be willing to do it..
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mike in Calgary, Alberta

67 months ago

James in Saint Albert, Alberta said: I am looking to start a pipefitting/steamfitting apprenticeship in alberta.Preferebly edmonton.Do I need to go to nait for the technical training first..or can i just find a journeyman to take me on as an apprentice with no experience.If so do you know any good places where I might be able to be taken on as an apprentice.

j


Don't even bother with the trades, you'll end up working with bitter old journeymen, and take abuse your whole apprenticeship. Be ready to be stabbed in the back by Journeymen, and expect little help from the Government while you go to school. Most jobs will be short term, and the light at the end of the tunnel (Red Seal and J-man ticket)will blink off as soon as you get your ticket. Now you are an expensive liability once you get your ticket, and again, don't worry, you'll have plenty of old journeymen to beat you down the totem pole. Do not even get into the trades. Go get a decent office job, or a city job. I just got my Pipefitting ticket and red seal, and I don't even want the thing after all the abuse I've been through.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Calgary, Alberta

66 months ago

Do you know anyone in calgary hiring apprentice in pipefitting?? if so email: billabongsurfsup@hotmail.com
Thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Aaron in Edmonton, Alberta

66 months ago

Man up mike. you sound like a crabby JM already. Take the boots off your mom and put them back on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Fort Saint John, British Columbia

66 months ago

mike in Calgary, Alberta said: Don't even bother with the trades, you'll end up working with bitter old journeymen, and take abuse your whole apprenticeship. Be ready to be stabbed in the back by Journeymen, and expect little help from the Government while you go to school. Most jobs will be short term, and the light at the end of the tunnel (Red Seal and J-man ticket)will blink off as soon as you get your ticket. Now you are an expensive liability once you get your ticket, and again, don't worry, you'll have plenty of old journeymen to beat you down the totem pole. Do not even get into the trades. Go get a decent office job, or a city job. I just got my Pipefitting ticket and red seal, and I don't even want the thing after all the abuse I've been through.

I agree Mike, I am a 3rd period apprentice and am sooo tired of the abuse. It has been a long road for me to even get 1300 hrs registered. I am still looking to pursue my ticket however, as I can still see the light at the end of the tunnel. I took a Pipefitter/Steamfitter Technician course (Pre-Apprenticeship), it was a six month course offered by my community college in 2002-03 and it has taken me until 2007 to gain 1300 hrs! I graduated with honors and it didn't help me one bit. It's hard enough to land a job as a fitter, never mind actually being apprenticed, and even then you will have a hell of a time finding a good j-man to work under. Most of them don't want to teach you anything, just treat you like a toby and show no respect. I for one hope that you stay in the field as you seem to understand what a grind it can be, and I think that a lot more good tradesmen is what is required in the industry. I had the privilege to work under 3 excellent fitters from the 170 in BC, so they are out there, they're just really hard to find. If you need a good apprentice, let me know

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Gord in Red Deer, Alberta

64 months ago

Chance in Red Deer, Alberta said: Hey guys, Hows it going.
So I've decided that im going to take the pipefitting/steam fitting trade, i just need a company to fill out my apprenticeship papers to get a job, any one know of any companys highering in red deer or surrounding area, who would be willing to do it..
Thanks

try cord Ind.
Quinn Contracting
bilton ( innisfail )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Travis Chevrier in Calgary, Alberta

64 months ago

i am a first year aprentice and inquiring whether anyone knows of any camps hiring or and shops in calgary hiring for first year. i have worked industrial so far no comercial but i am interested in comercial fitting too. if anyone haves any tips or hints to help my out it would be vastly apreciated cauase i would love to continue my carrrer
or email me at travisc14@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Craig in Sherwood Park, Alberta

64 months ago

I just got out of the navy last Aug and have lots of experience with pipefitting,plumbing,HVAC,welding,sheet metal,woodworking,sprinklers and hp/lp air. I am interested in a job pipefitting in the edmonton area to start my apprenticeship as the sheet metal trade is slow right now. Any help would be great. you can e-mail me at craig.miles@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Aaron in New Westminster, British Columbia

63 months ago

I am a 3rd year apprentice out of local 170. any questions email me at potsylocal170@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rodney in Edmonton, Alberta

61 months ago

Matt in Fort Saint John, British Columbia said: I agree Mike, I am a 3rd period apprentice and am sooo tired of the abuse. It has been a long road for me to even get 1300 hrs registered. I am still looking to pursue my ticket however, as I can still see the light at the end of the tunnel. I took a Pipefitter/Steamfitter Technician course (Pre-Apprenticeship), it was a six month course offered by my community college in 2002-03 and it has taken me until 2007 to gain 1300 hrs! I graduated with honors and it didn't help me one bit. It's hard enough to land a job as a fitter, never mind actually being apprenticed, and even then you will have a hell of a time finding a good j-man to work under. Most of them don't want to teach you anything, just treat you like a toby and show no respect. I for one hope that you stay in the field as you seem to understand what a grind it can be, and I think that a lot more good tradesmen is what is required in the industry. I had the privilege to work under 3 excellent fitters from the 170 in BC, so they are out there, they're just really hard to find. If you need a good apprentice, let me know

hey bud, my name is rod, dont give up. rite now i am in the process of setting up a steamfitting pipe fitting trades program that is fully acredited with alberta ed. this year nait is going to generate 150 million in new students. so you are ahead of the game and we wouldnt be putting a trades program together if we thought it was a waste of time. enbridge pipeline is developing the gateway from alberta to kitamat, pembina is also coming from the north to edmonton so there is work there. contractor for enbridge could be waschuck or techint also i cant remember the company in spruce grove alberta. the trades program will be teaching first year , i need to setup a lab from scratch i have a budget in place and i might need a bit of expert advise

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Maxwell Hollett in Clarenville, Newfoundland

59 months ago

Hi,

I'm a first year apprentice in Pipefitting/Steamfitting and I'm looking for a camp jop in either Fort MacMurry, Edmonton or even Calgary. I don't mind if the company flies me in and out, just would rather be in a camp while I'm working.
If anyone knows for anything it would be greatly appriciated. You can e-mail me at hollett_6@hotmail.com with any details for jobs.

Thanks in advance.
Maxwell Hollett.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Speller in Albuquerque, New Mexico

58 months ago

andre in Burnaby, British Columbia said: Hi

I am a first year apprentice at BCIT in vancouver bc. After I finish the program I will have completed my first yr apprenticship and 700 hours toward my second year. I am very interested in working in edmonton or fort mac. Since I am the first american accepted in the program, I will need a pipefitter company to offer me a sponcership. Its a very simple process but I m finding that alot of companies and telling me that I have to have a work permit to work for them!

Does anyone know of any companies in edmonton or fort mac that will or have sponcered workers in pipefitting?

**Sponsor**

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

aussieguy114 in Calgary, Alberta

58 months ago

wow, i have just travelled from aus because all the mining and construction has slowed, and this red seal is rubbish, im a qualified fabrication engineer which includes trades (sheetmetal worker, ironworker, welder, b welder) you guys should get yourselves out to australia, the training is so much better, and the one apprenticeship i have done several components equal to the training of 15 years for 4 trades here.

also i want to do a pipefitting apprenticeship (there is no recognised trade for pipefitting in aus) and is wondering if it is worth it? or better to go back home and work for the military again?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

hodare in windsor, Ontario

58 months ago

can anyone help i wrote my exam twice and failed does any one have any in formation for me i would appreciate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

rodney raley in Corbin, Kentucky

57 months ago

i have 8 years of pipe ex. with companys at power plants and factorys and ship yards

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

H in Edmonton, Alberta

56 months ago

Hi I have been looking for a pipe fitter job since October, i have no experience and i have gone to the local union and they give all there starter jobs to members. Does anyone know of a company that would hire starting pipe fitters?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jmfitter in New Westminster, British Columbia

56 months ago

aussieguy114 in Calgary, Alberta said: wow, i have just travelled from aus because all the mining and construction has slowed, and this red seal is rubbish, im a qualified fabrication engineer which includes trades (sheetmetal worker, ironworker, welder, b welder) you guys should get yourselves out to australia, the training is so much better, and the one apprenticeship i have done several components equal to the training of 15 years for 4 trades here.

also i want to do a pipefitting apprenticeship (there is no recognised trade for pipefitting in aus) and is wondering if it is worth it? or better to go back home and work for the military again?

If you are a ironworker and a welder you will find just as many and just as well paying jobs as a fitter would, I would not bother with a fitter ticket. Also I think a millwright in AUS. is the same as a fitter here so if you are planning on going back home anytime you may want to go for that ticket instead.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RayInIllinois in Joliet, Illinois

54 months ago

Hey need some advice for a up coming Pipefitter interview... Anyone?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

zwilliams in Lexington, South Carolina

53 months ago

i am trying to get on at savannah river site as a pipefitter apprentice. i have a friend who is certified and starting next week there. he is going to try to get me on there but said i would have to start as an apprentice through the union. is it possible for the company to get my apprenticeship started through the union or will i just be another guy in line waiting on my apprenticeship through the union?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Potsy in Burnaby, British Columbia

53 months ago

zwilliams in Lexington, South Carolina said: i am trying to get on at savannah river site as a pipefitter apprentice. i have a friend who is certified and starting next week there. he is going to try to get me on there but said i would have to start as an apprentice through the union. is it possible for the company to get my apprenticeship started through the union or will i just be another guy in line waiting on my apprenticeship through the union?

you can just call the your local union and start where you are

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Potsy in Burnaby, British Columbia

53 months ago

Anybody know if any jobs are openning in bc lower mainland.

Also how many hours are needed to start a new ei claim. my year is running up soon. how many hours to start another years claim??

Please help
Potsy Local 170

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Byron Haight in Stettler, Alberta

52 months ago

I started out in the oilfield in 2005 as a laborer for a small maintenance company working under a fitter that refused to apprentice anybody, but still picked up alot of knowledge and experience. Got tired of messing around with rusty old piping and decided to get into the construction side. Labored for several small-mid inch pipeline contractors since 2007 but never found a Jman to apprentice me either (there are very few people pipefitting with a ticket for non union companies).

Luckily I talked to the Apprenticeship Board and they told me I can start an apprenticeship with any Jman and get all the previous hours pipefitting as a labourer as credit towards my on-the-job portion of the apprenticeship. I've determined I have enough hours to write off my first 2 years and enter the program as a Third year apprentice as long as I pass my 1st and 2nd year exams (which I can't even take without a current employer!).

Now my only trouble is finding anybody that wants to hire an experienced laborer as an apprentice. I went ahead and bought my first 2 years textbooks but can't get into college without being a registered apprentice. Do any of you know of any sort of college or tech school in Alberta that will accept someone like me without being registered? Or even better, any companies looking to hire me in an entry level position? It's Shutdown season so there must be something going on. Waiting to hear back from Quinn.

I'm beginning to feel like the Pipefitting apprenticeship is a waste of time considering I can get hired by any scabby outfit to do the work without a ticket. I just want a ticket and get into the union so I can enjoy a Jman wage or at least be taken seriously as a sub-contractor. All this time spent pipelining could have earned me a Welding ticket by now. Any thoughts?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

thomsen in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

52 months ago

Just got my fist steam/pipe fitting block out of the way. 1 1/2 years experience ... looking for more, very eager to work not currently in a union.... any words of advice any input would greatly be appreciated thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kyle in Edmonton, Alberta

52 months ago

rodney in Edmonton, Alberta said: hey bud, my name is rod, dont give up. rite now i am in the process of setting up a steamfitting pipe fitting trades program that is fully acredited with alberta ed. this year nait is going to generate 150 million in new students. so you are ahead of the game and we wouldnt be putting a trades program together if we thought it was a waste of time. enbridge pipeline is developing the gateway from alberta to kitamat, pembina is also coming from the north to edmonton so there is work there. contractor for enbridge could be waschuck or techint also i cant remember the company in spruce grove alberta. the trades program will be teaching first year , i need to setup a lab from scratch i have a budget in place and i might need a bit of expert advise

Rod, will this program be a pre-employment/pre-apprenticeship program that will allow you to challenge the first year apprentice examination?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kyle in Edmonton, Alberta

52 months ago

I came moved here in 2008 with hopes of starting a steamfitting apprenticeship. Was taken down the Clac hall and all they could do was give me a list of non-union companies. Applied at them all asking for any position they could give me, and no luck. Have 3 family members that are jman fitters, and a roommate that is a jman fitter, they couldn't do anything for me. Got a crap job as a labourer working at a valve automation shop, worked there for a year and 3 months, they closed the plant and laid everyone off. Went to the 488 hall, wrote the entrance exam and passed, attended numerous call-outs with 1st year opportunities, came to the conclusion that it's next to impossible to take a 1st year call as a starter without a blue book there. Went to the family members again, no luck. So I've been on ei since january now hating life, still trying to get on with the non-union companies. Been here for almost 2 years now, and have nothing to show. Why is it so hard to become an apprentice pipefitter in the oil capital of Canada? With the number of pipefitters employed in Edmonton and Nisku, I don't understand why they don't already have a steamfitting/pipefitting pre-employment/pre-apprenticeship course in the city.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

joe blow in Sydney, Nova Scotia

51 months ago

James in Saint Albert, Alberta said: I am looking to start a pipefitting/steamfitting apprenticeship in alberta.Preferebly edmonton.Do I need to go to nait for the technical training first..or can i just find a journeyman to take me on as an apprentice with no experience.If so do you know any good places where I might be able to be taken on as an apprentice.

j

well just come to local 682 in cape breton you become pipefitter in nightschool on weekend they just give you ticket if you work at kentucky fried chicken lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Andrew Pipe Fitteh in Prospect, Connecticut

49 months ago

tjm in Wapwallopen, Pennsylvania said: apply to a local union hall.. its 5 years of night school but its worth it!! your not gonna make any money unless your in a union

Are you serious? I am a non-Union worker bringing in 6 figures, it's all about your determination and skill to get jobs done well and on time. it's not whether or not you work for a union that brings in the loot. Oh btw I was a union worker for 10 years and it was great, but the down time is a joke. Working for a company that has a good name and gets Rate jobs is the place to be in my opinion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

newfie79 in Halifax, Nova Scotia

47 months ago

I am a female seeking employment as a steamfitter/pipefitter I greatudated back in 2009 and have been more than dedicated to seeking work with my trade but still nothing. I have sent out hundreds ontop of hundreds of resumes and have a full portfolio of companies and contacts who I have been contacting trying to get work. Can someone possibly help me and give me some more ideas on how a female can get hired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ron in Calgary, Alberta

47 months ago

Matt in Fort Saint John, British Columbia said: I agree Mike, I am a 3rd period apprentice and am sooo tired of the abuse. It has been a long road for me to even get 1300 hrs registered. I am still looking to pursue my ticket however, as I can still see the light at the end of the tunnel. I took a Pipefitter/Steamfitter Technician course (Pre-Apprenticeship), it was a six month course offered by my community college in 2002-03 and it has taken me until 2007 to gain 1300 hrs! I graduated with honors and it didn't help me one bit. It's hard enough to land a job as a fitter, never mind actually being apprenticed, and even then you will have a hell of a time finding a good j-man to work under. Most of them don't want to teach you anything, just treat you like a toby and show no respect. I for one hope that you stay in the field as you seem to understand what a grind it can be, and I think that a lot more good tradesmen is what is required in the industry. I had the privilege to work under 3 excellent fitters from the 170 in BC, so they are out there, they're just really hard to find. If you need a good apprentice, let me know

Stop being a girl. Stand up for yourself. If your work situation is really unbearable, quit. Find another job. Earn your respect. Don't go bad mouthing trades. Plenty of kids are looking for a career and all you're doing is discouraging them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

AaronGray in Cold Lake, Alberta

47 months ago

Ron in Calgary, Alberta said: Stop being a girl. Stand up for yourself. If your work situation is really unbearable, quit. Find another job. Earn your respect. Don't go bad mouthing trades. Plenty of kids are looking for a career and all you're doing is discouraging them.

I agree with Ron. Suck it up princess, There are alot of books, vidoes, all types of media to learn the trade. Keep your nose to the grindstone, show up early with a good attitude, work smart, ask the right questions and wait till you breaks to have a smoke. You will see a difference at work as well as respect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

AaronGray in Cold Lake, Alberta

47 months ago

mike in Calgary, Alberta said: Don't even bother with the trades, you'll end up working with bitter old journeymen, and take abuse your whole apprenticeship. Be ready to be stabbed in the back by Journeymen, and expect little help from the Government while you go to school. Most jobs will be short term, and the light at the end of the tunnel (Red Seal and J-man ticket)will blink off as soon as you get your ticket. Now you are an expensive liability once you get your ticket, and again, don't worry, you'll have plenty of old journeymen to beat you down the totem pole. Do not even get into the trades. Go get a decent office job, or a city job. I just got my Pipefitting ticket and red seal, and I don't even want the thing after all the abuse I've been through.

Get bent

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JPF412NM in Houston, Texas

47 months ago

AMERICAN BY BIRTH UNION BY CHOICE....

UNITED ASSOCIATION OF
PLUMBERS & PIPEFITTERS
LOCAL UNION 412

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Steaminthepipes in Surrey, British Columbia

33 months ago

Taking Steam level 1 right now. It's my 3rd day of classes and I'm already on the job board *non-active til' school is finished*. I'm dreading camp life but it will be the best way to gain the hours and knowledge and I'm sure it will be a good life experience. I agree that it's 100% about attitude, work-ethic, and willingness to learn. If you were going to get headhunted from this website you already would've been headhunted out of class. Can't do nothin' but pound the pavement..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

girl in Quesnel, British Columbia

28 months ago

James in Saint Albert, Alberta said: I am looking to start a pipefitting/steamfitting apprenticeship in alberta.Preferebly edmonton.Do I need to go to nait for the technical training first..or can i just find a journeyman to take me on as an apprentice with no experience.If so do you know any good places where I might be able to be taken on as an apprentice.

j

Don't bother it takes so long to get in school it's ridiculous. In all of Canada there is only one intake a year at school when there is thousands of students applying. Each school has intake at different times. It took my husbands co worker applying all over Canda and 5 years to get his second year done. Blame it on the useless goverment not paying for more schooling times and schools.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

girl in Quesnel, British Columbia

28 months ago

Ron Marier in Calgary, Alberta said: If you prefer, you can take your technical training at SAIT. Like NAIT, SAIT offers the full 4 years of technical training in Calgary.
Find a company who is willing to indenture you as an apprentice and then you can register for the training.

Dont waist yourt time with those schools. I researched it and they only have one intake time.The government is crying for apprentices and when they finally ge them they can't be trained because there is not enough schooling time. It does not matter how early you apply you are wait listed forever.It takes on average 10-15 years to complete an apprenticeship due ot the wait times for school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

girl in Quesnel, British Columbia

28 months ago

andre in Burnaby, British Columbia said: Hi

I am a first year apprentice at BCIT in vancouver bc. After I finish the program I will have completed my first yr apprenticship and 700 hours toward my second year. I am very interested in working in edmonton or fort mac. Since I am the first american accepted in the program, I will need a pipefitter company to offer me a sponcership. Its a very simple process but I m finding that alot of companies and telling me that I have to have a work permit to work for them!

Does anyone know of any companies in edmonton or fort mac that will or have sponcered workers in pipefitting?

Ledcore. My husabnd works for them in Fort Nelson and he is trying to get in school for the last year with no luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

girl in Quesnel, British Columbia

28 months ago

AaronGray in Cold Lake, Alberta said: Get bent

How did you get in to finnish it? My husband has been applying everywhere and can't get in he is always told the excuse your on the waiting list and he never gets off it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Felicia in Leduc, Alberta

28 months ago

I am wondering if anyone knows of where I can go for the pre-trade course in steamfitter/pipefitter. I want to become a pipefitter but would like to try and do the course first b4 trying to become an apprentice. Im just having a hard time finding a school that offers it, preferably in Edmonton.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

rcleblanc in Surrey, British Columbia

6 months ago

andre in Burnaby, British Columbia said: Hi

I am a first year apprentice at BCIT in vancouver bc. After I finish the program I will have completed my first yr apprenticship and 700 hours toward my second year. I am very interested in working in edmonton or fort mac. Since I am the first american accepted in the program, I will need a pipefitter company to offer me a sponcership. Its a very simple process but I m finding that alot of companies and telling me that I have to have a work permit to work for them!

Does anyone know of any companies in edmonton or fort mac that will or have sponcered workers in pipefitting?

I am also a female first year pipefitter I have been looking for work in bc and alberta with no luck since july, have you joined a union? I think I'm going try that. You could apply to urs flint they are hiring pipeline labours pipe fitter helpers. at least it gets your foot in the door

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

rcleblanc in Surrey, British Columbia

6 months ago

AaronGray in Cold Lake, Alberta said: Get bent

wow really, hell I cant even get a job even though I have taken the first year, those cranky red seal fellows are even less likely to take on a female, so it kinda sucks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.