Are pipefitter job opportunities growing or declining?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 54)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most pipefitter opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

wayne sweet in Houston, Texas

78 months ago

pipefitting job are declining for american craftsmen because companies are hiring more and more hispanics.i think in about ten years american blue collar workers will be obsolete.something needs to be done about this and quick.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

chad in Simi Valley, California

68 months ago

I think when we get the T.W.I.C. in full gear their well be a lot more jobs opening up. Because how will they be able toget theirs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Hispanic in Iowa City, Iowa

60 months ago

wayne sweet in Houston, Texas said: pipefitting job are declining for american craftsmen because companies are hiring more and more hispanics.i think in about ten years american blue collar workers will be obsolete.something needs to be done about this and quick.

Hispanics are also American---including American citizens, Naturalized Americans, and legal residents....PLEASE DO NOT use the term Hispanics to refer to undocumented or foreign individuals...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

TRUE-UA.HAND

53 months ago

wayne sweet in Houston, Texas said: pipefitting job are declining for american craftsmen because companies are hiring more and more hispanics.i think in about ten years american blue collar workers will be obsolete.something needs to be done about this and quick.

you dumb siht! Ive been a UA pipefitter/welder/tech and plumber for over 30 years, AND HISPANIC! Your remark is so ignorant, if you cant find work that is on you, most of my brothers are working and will continue to work through good times and bad, now and 200 years from now! The only ones thatare taking your work are the outstanding brothers and sisters of the UA. If you were ever qualified enough to step into one of my jobs (YES, MY JOB!) you wouldnt last a minute! Stick to your backwards texan caveman scab way of thinking. its fits your kind!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Bat Man in Fresno, California

53 months ago

member of Local UA 246 here. whats up brothers? slow for me, man.

work should be breakin lose anytime.

600 meg power plant . should start const in april?

any shut down work ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jeani in Casablanca, Morocco

53 months ago

thanksssssssss www.wowlife.tk

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

TRUE-UA.HAND

53 months ago

Believe what you like, whatever helps you sleep! Ive served the military, my family runs an "American Business" that employs Americans, we pay our taxes, not one of us have any criminal history and we are 3rd generation UA (among other BT Unions). Fact remains there are no "True American Decendants", we all are from somewhere else. White, Black, Yellow, Red or Purple, everybody at one time or another had to deal with ingnorance such as yours. It just proves how insecure you are about your own limited "skills". I never have to worry about a "negro" taking my job or a "cracker" taking my job, or a "spic" taking my job. Im not the type like many out there (YOU!) that use the "economy" or "immigration" as an excuse for not being able to work. Your only fooling yourself and the only one convinced that this is true is you! Ive been a GF for over 11 years and believe it or not, the most problem on the job are from white guys (about 60% if not more). Some assume that they are entitled to special treatment because they are white or can come in drunk or tweeked up and expect others to look the other way. BS! White, Black, Purple, Yellow or Green, if you have nothing to bring to the table or if you cant carry your weight on one of my jobs, YOUR OUT! Thats why I never deal with "brothers" that never went through an apprenticeship, you come on our jobs, preach your hate and cant tell the differance between a pin wrench and your crack pipe then think you can run siht. This is a black eye to our true brothers that sacrifice their time, put in the work and truly earned their books the right way. These are the people that I will always look out for, regardless of what they look like or where they come from!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

SteamRules

53 months ago

True-UA, you are so right, I agree with you 100%. Thanks for your comment. I'm 4th generation Italian-American, 2nd generation UA (just turned out last year). Im a proud American and proud of my Itaian heritage. I will never deny who I am or where my family came from, it is what identifies me. I can work with anyone regardless of what they look like or where they where from. You also have to understand that many "white" people have no clue as to where there family came from or dont even care. Just like JIM-JIM, they have no past to identify with so they act in an ignorant way, say ignorant things and dont realize how foolish they look. They dont realize the prejudice their family had to deal with also (every race at one time or another had to deal with racism). I dont want to be like many of the non-union or organized hands that Ive seen on the jobs. I dont blame anyone or any one group for my unemployment, that is so freaking stupid! While I am not working now, I am at the JATC improving my welding, getting different certs and helping out other apprentices. It is my obligation to give back and not just take take take. That is something that the non-union sector could never comprehend. I'll be damned if I let an organized hand or a rat like jim-jim take my job! I was glad to see your comment, it is nice to know that true brothers such as yourself are out their looking out for our UA interests, thank you! PS, JIM-JIM, get a life dude!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jungleboy in Lima, Ohio

53 months ago

Hispanic in Iowa City, Iowa said: Hispanics are also American---including American citizens, Naturalized Americans, and legal residents....PLEASE DO NOT use the term Hispanics to refer to undocumented or foreign individuals...

the thing about illegals working in american is that they want to come here for a better life and more job oppertunities. what they dont realize is that their cutting the throughts of the hard working americans that made america.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

vexin12 in Euless, Texas

53 months ago

I hope to start the pipefitter school in August, but before that I have to go threw an interview. I just wish the school would send me on a job so I can start gaining experience. This is for the Dallas UA local 100

TRUE-UA.HAND

53 months ago

First of all, no one is bragging about being anything. Second of all, my comment was directed at jim-jim and all like him. If you need a quick lesson on sarcasm, I'll be glad to help. I WAS BEING SARCASTIC AND BREAKING IT DOWN TO HIS LEVEL! Does that help? No need to thank me. The problem that I have is that there are alot of bigots like jim-jim that think because someone is non-white, that they shouldnt work in the US or that they are automatically illegal. If your illegal then you should not be in this country let alone work in this country or even fight for this country. But just because you look different, right away bigots like jim-jim automatically slaps labels on people who dont look or smell the way he does, F him! Years ago I was in a 40 foot deep pit trimming out a 15 foot long tube bundle type exchanger (#6 oil pre-heater) at 2 in the morning. It was just my legal Jamaican born union welder/brother and I. I fell 15 feet landing on my shoulder, dislocating my shoulder, breaking my wrist, fracturing my elbow and broking 2 ribs. Do you think I gave a rats ass that my partner for 3 years was black? This guy put me on his shoulder, carried me up the stairs (four levels) and waited with me until the ambulance came. Once again, do you think I gave a rats ass that he didnt look, speak, smell or dressed the same way I did? If you can legally work in the US and you are Union and cool, I'll give you the shirt off of my back with no question. Listen enough of this racist bull siht, lets talk pipe!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

SeaDog in Manchester, New Hampshire

53 months ago

Well,it's nice to see my UA Brothers have plenty of emotion! Sounds like everybody's mad about something! One doesn't like the race,one doesn't like the organized,one doesn't like the traveler.....when does it end? I don't care how you got your book,what you look like or where you came from,if you're part of the brotherhood and let your skills and attitude speak for you,you are my brother....remember....Fidelity,Education,Benevolence,Protection. I've been a Steamfitter for 35yrs. and am concerned about the Brotherhood. We only have 20-30 members show for meetings and votes in a 250 member local. About the same show for the annual outing. We need to stick together,especially now,there is an anti Union sentiment growing in this country and it's being fueled by the media almost daily about how we drove the jobs out of the country and bankrupted the nations economy. Stand strong,get involved if you're not,and speak out against the lies they tell about us. Thank you....Hey,UA Hand,did you work at Mason City in '03?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TRUE-UA.HAND

53 months ago

Well said Brother, thank you. My comments are directed to those that are ignorant, those that are afforded the privelidge of joining something as respected and coveted as the UA is, and in turn, rather than embracing our history, beliefs and comradery, want to impose their selfish (me, me, me) mentality on everybody else. They quickly forget the oath that they swore to uphold. Another thing that fuels that "anti-union" sentiment, is the way that we (UA) during the boom years, were so desperate to man these jobs throughout the nation, that we shot ourselves in the foot by lowering the standards and criteria for the organized hands, to the point where the UA, the contractor and the clients suffer. Honestly, would you as an owner hire a union contractor, when that contractor has a history of shotty work, due in part because he is beng sent fly by night hands? This is very common. The contractor can not keep turning guys around and sending them back to the hall, then whats the point of being signatory? We have lost many reputable contractors because of this. It has been a very fustrating seven years. I hope that all members are held accountable and are forced to adhere to the UA Standard For Excellance. Travelors that have over twenty years under their belt, excellant hands are being forced to go back home because the job is going to someone who just signed on to the local and cant handle the job, to the point that a 3rd year has to tutor a new hand, its a damm shame! Ive been fortunate in that only about 15% of the hands that are sent to me had to be sent back to the hall. But 15% out of a 2500 member local is a big nut! Its amazing, the only time I see guys at the meetings is when they get laid off. Once again, thank you. (PS, never worked in Mason City).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

3rdYearAPP

53 months ago

TrueUA, Im glad to be working, i havent been in the trade long but you are correct, i constantly am partnered up with guys that have less time than me and they are always messing things up. It is very fustrating, they should pay me the journeymans wage. one guy that came to our job, very quietly asked me to teach him how to solder, my GF heard him and got so pissed! There are alot of organized guys that are very bright and know what they are doing but it seems lately that one out of twenty five guys that they send out are "empty suits". It sux that i have to go through five years of school, certs, bs and bs, just to get my book and along comes Joe Shmoe pays a fee and gets what i am going to get in two years, basically for free, oh well. At least i know when i turn out, I am not going to get run off the job.

53 months ago

Thanks for the comments,True UA. I have done some Salting,and Organizing and disagree with the UA's blanket policy that if the person is drawing wages as a pipefitter,therefore he is one. Every organized member should be screened and tested,not just a written test but skills tests as well. I understand 3rdYearAPP's point of view,and it can be very frustrating. Remember,the UA's madness to their method was to weaken the labor pool of Non-Union by taking manpower instead of trying to organize Contractors. Undoubtedly they got some very skilled hands,but also some not so skilled and it is wrong to force our locals to absorb them. This is a public forum,and I don't want to air too much of our dirty laundry here. But you can contact me at WELDA55@yahoo.com I've a lot to say and am interviewing for a local TV spot soon to voice my opinions about how Organized Labor is being attacked with lies and panic tactics to further the cause of some private businessmen who never seem satisfied with their profits and would love to control the working sector. When did crime get divided into white/blue collar anyway? I thought stealing was stealing whether you use a gun or a briefcase...there is a systematic plan to put the American Worker under control of a few elite....like the ABC..
Funny how they'd all like for us to go to Canada and work in the Tar Sands project....a little short on skilled labor are we? Need more oil-for-profit?
Great job up there....provide your American Skill in exchange for no benefit package....but the money's good(*)....yeah,right,I'll be right up.....

TRUE-UA.HAND

53 months ago

Basically, this is what it comes down to. Just as an "Owner" has every right to control every aspect of his own captitol, we too, as labor have the right to a voice when it comes to our wages, benefits, conditions and the right to go back to our families in one piece. This is what the basic principles of the UA are based on, nothing complicated, just a basic voice. This is what separates us from everyone else and we are made out to be the bad guys. Are we evil because we want to speak for ourselves and want to be represented by someone that we choose, as oppossed to having our boss speak for us? This works well in the non-union sector (well for the owners). We are only a small fraction of the American workforce, yet we account for about 99% of all the bad publicity. Envy is what drives these people to make accusations that are unfounded. Everyone wishes that they could make the wages that we make, even at the end of the day I feel that we are underpaid. Even during the boom years of the 1950s', we only accounted for less than a third of the workforce, yet we are to blame for all of the jobs that went to the Far East and south of the border. I guess if it was the UA that signed off on NAFTA, then I could buy it, hmmmm ok! To 3rdyearAPP, all I can say is that as a Journeyman, it is "OUR" obligation to teach "YOU" and not the other way around. It is also our obligation to teach other Journeyman as well, we do not know it all and after 25 years I am still learning something new, even from apprentices.

53 months ago

Very well said,Brother...I am Proud to know you and share our heritage. I hope all is well with you and yours. I will be checking in periodically....know of any big projects coming up? I heard of Bellville,Il. and Wood River...How about any Nuke shutdowns? Stay safe,Brothers...

corbybhoy in Corby, United Kingdom

53 months ago

bloody hell their is alot of brothrs on this site,your mother must have been popular!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SteamRules

53 months ago

corbybhoy in Corby, United Kingdom said: bloody hell their is alot of brothrs on this site,your mother must have been popular!!

Hey Corbybhoy, are there any dentists in the UK? Damm your women are ugly and all of you guys look like a half a stick of TNT blew up in your mouths! I went out with an English woman about five years ago, when she smile it looked like Al-Qaeda got there before I did! Whats up with that!?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dennis in Guatemala City, Guatemala

53 months ago

Myabe so. if we weren't so lazy it would not have happened

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Does anyone know of any jobs besides the Tar Sands in Canada? I hate to go there now,it's still pretty cold. There must be something in the lower 48 even if it's 40hrs?

Tipps in Fort Mcmurray, Alberta

52 months ago

Lots of jobs up here in the Tar sands, Shut downs, maintenance openings, lots of construction starting up. Its warming up alot too haha.

pipefitter to the stars in Stockport, United Kingdom

51 months ago

Dennis in Guatemala City, Guatemala said: Myabe so. if we weren't so lazy it would not have happened

hey steamrules, i heard every time u smile a child in africa dies.

Pipefitter from Manchester, England!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Zindel in Houston, Texas

51 months ago

There's not many jobs down here. Doesn't matter if ur white,yellow,tan,red,green or purple.Most of us are blue because of the lack of work in the area. I guess when plants start exploding from lack of keep up we will see a rise in jobs. That or when they get rid of the president that is taxing the hell out of the companies that hire us .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jon oler in selma, Alabama

51 months ago

SeaDog in Manchester, New Hampshire said: Does anyone know of any jobs besides the Tar Sands in Canada? I hate to go there now,it's still pretty cold. There must be something in the lower 48 even if it's 40hrs?

lower 48 have went to shyt bro..

51 months ago

SeaDog in Manchester, New Hampshire said: Very well said,Brother...I am Proud to know you and share our heritage. I hope all is well with you and yours. I will be checking in periodically....know of any big projects coming up? I heard of Bellville,Il. and Wood River...How about any Nuke shutdowns? Stay safe,Brothers...

rumors is they have started ground work in ..right outside augusta but it's only rumor.said too be gonna build 2 of them,i dont think so though.takes alot of hands to build 2 nuke plants at once and ALOT of CASH ..waynesboro ga i think.

David Gallegos in Corpus Christi, Texas

51 months ago

that is a stupid comment. you a blaming the fall of the american economy on hispanics. how about blaming the money grubbing bankers and oil companies. we are paying from 3 to 5 dollars a gallon diesel now cost more than gas.its not because the gave juan a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

they sent all our work INDUSTRY to other countries thats what happened to our economy it's just taken a few years to see it.eyes wide open.

51 months ago

I know we all need work. I'm afraid that all the jobs they sent to other countries is a disaster! It's NOT a global economy...look at Greece....we need to wake up America and bring back manufacturing where it is a quality based industry. It is possible to manufacture everything we're famous for and not destroy the environment and supply people with decent wages and housing. What is required here is a little social responsibility to our communities and a better division of the corporate pie. I'm not saying business shouldn't profit...it SHOULD.....but at reasonable levels,and not at the expense of people who make businesses run. Stop teaching "Global" economics....start teaching responsible economics,and STOP ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION.....I'm fine with anyone who wants to come to America and be part of our community...but come through the front door,learn ENGLISH.....or at least let your children learn it and celebrate the freedoms that our US TROOPS fight for,and join us in the fight against drugs and crime,an inner city cancer that is spreading all over the US.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

kjack in Edmonton, Alberta

51 months ago

SeaDog in Manchester, New Hampshire said: I know we all need work. I'm afraid that all the jobs they sent to other countries is a disaster! It's NOT a global economy...look at Greece....we need to wake up America and bring back manufacturing where it is a quality based industry. It is possible to manufacture everything we're famous for and not destroy the environment and supply people with decent wages and housing. What is required here is a little social responsibility to our communities and a better division of the corporate pie. I'm not saying business shouldn't profit...it SHOULD.....but at reasonable levels,and not at the expense of people who make businesses run. Stop teaching "Global" economics....start teaching responsible economics,and STOP ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION.....I'm fine with anyone who wants to come to America and be part of our community...but come through the front door,learn ENGLISH.....or at least let your children learn it and celebrate the freedoms that our US TROOPS fight for,and join us in the fight against drugs and crime,an inner city cancer that is spreading all over the US.

This was the first well written quote I have read so far that sends a message that presents of accountability and responsibility. I agree that illegal immigration is wrong but I also am impressed with your other comments. Give people a chance just do it on a level playing ground is what I hear not hatred, racism or defensiveness. Great message...well written!

51 months ago

Thanks....Funny how this Forum was intended for interaction about jobs for Pipefitters and Welders and it's become a site for political venting! Yes,I'm including myself in that statement:) I guess that proves we need more jobs so we don't have so much time on our hands! It's been so long since I've worked it would probably take 2wks just for me to get back in the groove.....terrible!
I was offered a job as an Xray quality welder with SMAW,GTAW,SAW,and GMAW in a fab shop for pressure vessels and they wanted to pay $16.00 per hour! I was making that 30yrs ago....matter of fact,in 1980 I was getting 17.60 per hour.
If I'm not mistaken,the cost of living is no where near 1980 prices, so why would any one expect a person to work for those wages......I don't get it....maybe there's something they teach in economics class that I missed in the school of hard knocks. Naaaaahhhhh....

claytonmiles.cm@gmail.com in Huntington Beach, California

50 months ago

TRUE-UA.HAND said: you dumb siht! Ive been a UA pipefitter/welder/tech and plumber for over 30 years, AND HISPANIC! Your remark is so ignorant, if you cant find work that is on you, most of my brothers are working and will continue to work through good times and bad, now and 200 years from now! The only ones thatare taking your work are the outstanding brothers and sisters of the UA. If you were ever qualified enough to step into one of my jobs (YES, MY JOB!) you wouldnt last a minute! Stick to your backwards texan caveman scab way of thinking. its fits your kind!

all these comments about Hispanics taking jobs are bs. i have worked hand and hand with them for years and yes i am white... that is just the work force that is out there. if they are legal what is the problem. im sure its pretty hard to get a job in our business unless you are qualified. they have always excepted me with open arms and taught me alot. some of the best fitters i know are hispanic

poor pipefitter wife in Jackson, Mississippi

50 months ago

i will love anyone if they will just put my husband back to work....... it has been MONTHS!!

50 months ago

poor pipefitter wife in Jackson, Mississippi said: i will love anyone if they will just put my husband back to work....... it has been MONTHS!!

send him to ameri-force in pasgagula"misspelled?"ameriforce giring for ship yards,at least they were last week.hurry good luck

ldb638 in Bronx, New York

49 months ago

thanks for the insite and laughs i have been out for a year and have not gotten an unemployment check over a month because my so called representatives in govt are having macho man contests and don't care about me because there are no people competing for votes now. I am a hard worker and am willing to work i just get so tired of the bull i don't know what to do anymore. I just lost my cable am about to loose my electricity I paid my motgage up till august. If albany is listening people are starving while you play games with peoples lives. Doesn't any politician have a conscience.

safeworksitemyass in Rock Hill, South Carolina

47 months ago

Host said: Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most pipe fitter opportunities?

They are on the decline for citizens. I was puzzled for a while why all of my citizen coworkers white, brown and black were having a hard time finding pipe fitter and welding jobs. I have been in the trade for 15 years and noticed the past 5 have been light to scary regarding finding good jobs.
Then I went to work for Zachry 2 years ago in Florida where the non Citizens boost that they are the majority on the job sight. One young fella a very promising helper from Mexico slipped up and told me that the US government reimburses up to 50 percent of non citizen workers wages to a company depending certain answers they provide during the hiring process. I asked my direct supervision about this and was told not to bother them.
While with Zachry I was cussed to no end which is an immediate terminating offense by my welder a non citizen here on a work visa, while day after day he refused to do his job. He was not a citizen so they took no action to correct his lack of production, his insubordinate actions or his cursing me. My General foreman told they couldn't do anything because they were afraid of a discrimination lawsuit. After insisting on filing a written complaint about my welders actions my General foreman transferred me to another crew. This crew was not even close to my trade. When a group of non citizens dropped a beam clamp nearly striking a helper I was sent to put up more barricade tape. This is when the same group of men that dropped the beam clamp (which is a terminating offense)dropped a object either a nut or a bolt from the top floor of the structure striking me on my right shoulder. I reported the incident and my injury to supervision, (my foreman refused to report it) Human resources and Safety and again was told they were afraid of discrimination lawsuits.

safeworksitemyass in Rock Hill, South Carolina

47 months ago

After my employer failed to provide a safe work place for me and subjected me to inexcusable and hostile working conditions they laid me off. I never identified the object that struck me because someone picked it it up then asked me if i was OK and then they walked away. It is my opinion that I was discriminated against for being a citizen and my rights were violated by my employer by there failing to provide me a safe work place and retaliating against me when i reported incidents involving the inappropriate actions and violation of company policies by non citizen coworkers.
Both times I reported an incident involving a non citizen coworkers violation of company policies my regular job changed the first time they transferred me then when I was injured they laid me off.
What's going on guys why are we letting this happen if I cuss some one on the job my citizen butt will be fired. But some how a non citizen can get away with it all day long for weeks on end while refusing to meet his production quota.
And the group of men that dropped the beam clamp and then the object that struck me, they should have all been fired because non of them would tell who did it. If they were citizens they would have all been fired.
An old timer asked me when I was talking to him about this "You don't suppose they know they hired them illegally do ya and are afraid of bringing heat on themselves by terminating them?"
I want to know if the tax breaks for employing a non citizen are realy so great that my fellow citizens in charge of these companies realy dont care about the rights of there citizen employees.
I am a born citizen of the United States of America and should not be burdened with being abused by non citizens on the job sight. I do not mistreat any one and I don't expect to be or tolerate being mistreated.

SteamRules

47 months ago

Whhaaaaaaaa, Whaaaaa, zzzzzzzzzz. I could see why they smoked you. dont blame it on the beam clamp or the "aliens"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

anbesaw in Franklin, Ohio

46 months ago

I don't care what generation you are, I need a job too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Well,I said before and I'll repeat it. I left the non-union sector because of that kind of treatment. At least in the Union you have a voice and we do stand together. Like any organization,we're not perfect,but it's a place where everyone's voice can be heard.
There is work in New York,Glen falls area and in New Hampshire the fall outages have started hiring fitters and welders. Hope this is helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

firsthispanic77 in Hicksville, New York

45 months ago

I started pipe fitting in the 70's before that Hispanics were not allowed on the job. I have had people piss on my work clothing, taunt me, berate me, fire me from jobs because of my race. I have against all odds persevered. The taunting only made me stronger and stronger. I could outfit anyone anytime, work longer hours carry more because I had to. I had to prove myself constantly. When the union let Hispanics in it was not easy. And I was tested every day of my life, I had a family to raise and that is all I ever wanted to do. Sick days?? never not until I almost died of a heart condition. And I was forced to stop working for local 638. My boss counted on me always even after hours,he appreciated my skill and I worked with him for over 20 years. New York City was my territory I have worked everywhere and I am a Hispanic who was born here in Manhattan, New York. Now at 77 years old I am apalled at this statement.

WHAT KIND OF STATEMENT IS THIS ?????????????????????????

"pipefitting job are declining for american craftsmen because companies are hiring more and more hispanics.i think in about ten years american blue collar workers will be obsolete.something needs to be done about this and quick".

It is the right of EVERY AMERICAN CITIZEN to work and be appreciated by a government that they pay taxes to. Every man created equal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LET'S NOT BLAME ONE RACE !!!!! THERE IS ROOM FOR EVERYONE
BY THE WAY I HAVE WORKED WITH EVERYONE AND ISLAND MEN WHO COME FROM TRINIDAD AND JAMAICA ARE FABULOUS WELDERS. THEY LEARN BY TRADE SCHOOL AT A VERY YOUNG AGE . THEY ARE MASTERS IN THE FIELD AND WE HAVE BENEFITED FROM THEIR SKILLS FOR YEARS. THEY ARE MY BROTHERS AND TOGETHER WE HELPED BUILD THE CITY OF NEW YORK.
MR. GONZALEZ PIPEFITTER 638 AND PROUD

firsthispanic77 in Hicksville, New York

45 months ago

WELL SAID BROTHER ...THANK YOU FOR DEFENDING SEE MY COMMENT BELOW . I CANT BELIEVE WE ARE STILL HERE WITH THESE TYPES OF PEOPLE ...

I started pipe fitting in the 70's before that Hispanics were not allowed on the job. I have had people piss on my work clothing, taunt me, berate me, fire me from jobs because of my race. I have against all odds persevered. The taunting only made me stronger and stronger. I could outfit anyone anytime, work longer hours carry more because I had to. I had to prove myself constantly. When the union let Hispanics in it was not easy. And I was tested every day of my life, I had a family to raise and that is all I ever wanted to do. Sick days?? never not until I almost died of a heart condition. And I was forced to stop working for local 638. My boss counted on me always even after hours,he appreciated my skill and I worked with him for over 20 years. New York City was my territory I have worked everywhere and I am a Hispanic who was born here in Manhattan, New York. Now at 77 years old I am apalled at this statement.

WHAT KIND OF STATEMENT IS THIS ?????????????????????????

"pipefitting job are declining for american craftsmen because companies are hiring more and more hispanics.i think in about ten years american blue collar workers will be obsolete.something needs to be done about this and quick".

It is the right of EVERY AMERICAN CITIZEN to work and be appreciated by a government that they pay taxes to. Every man created equal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LET'S NOT BLAME ONE RACE !!!!! THERE IS ROOM FOR EVERYONE
BY THE WAY I HAVE WORKED WITH EVERYONE AND ISLAND MEN WHO COME FROM TRINIDAD AND JAMAICA ARE FABULOUS WELDERS. THEY LEARN BY TRADE SCHOOL AT A VERY YOUNG AGE . THEY ARE MASTERS IN THE FIELD AND WE HAVE BENEFITED FROM THEIR SKILLS FOR YEARS. THEY ARE MY BROTHERS AND TOGETHER WE HELPED BUILD THE CITY OF NEW YORK.
MR. GONZALEZ PIPEFITTER 638 AND PROUD

SteamRules

45 months ago

Well put my Brother. Just want to let you know that what you had to endure does not go in vane. You unlocked and opened many doors for me and I will continue to open the doors even wider for those that are coming in behind me. I am on my 23rd year with the UA, started in NYC and took my skills to other jurisdictions throughout our great country. I choose to protect our interest and conditions from the very top. I came from a family that had no choice but to go on welfare and I can remember days when all we had to eat was rice, beans, eggs and tang. Now I am running over 100 fitters and 50 instrument techs on new power house jobs. I will never tolerate racism, bigotry or ignorance on any of my jobs. Thank you so much Brother and enjoy your retirement!

45 months ago

I'm glad to see I have such wonderful Brothers out there! I don't understand the whole Hispanic thing at all......most anyone I've ever known of Hispanic descent( what exactly does that mean,anyway) are very pro labor and quick to organize into Unions because they recognize the need to treat people fairly. Their commitment to family and community is tremendous!! Being from Salt Lake city I have a lot of friends and neighbors that are "Hispanic" and we get along great,I can't imagine this country without them.
Mr. Steam Rules, I sincerely hope I get to meet you someday. Take care,Brother.........

proud to be american in Oakland, California

43 months ago

TRUE-UA.HAND said: Believe what you like, whatever helps you sleep! Ive served the military, my family runs an "American Business" that employs Americans, we pay our taxes, not one of us have any criminal history and we are 3rd generation UA (among other BT Unions). Fact remains there are no "True American Decendants", we all are from somewhere else. White, Black, Yellow, Red or Purple, everybody at one time or another had to deal with ingnorance such as yours. It just proves how insecure you are about your own limited "skills". I never have to worry about a "negro" taking my job or a "cracker" taking my job, or a "spic" taking my job. Im not the type like many out there (YOU!) that use the "economy" or "immigration" as an excuse for not being able to work. Your only fooling yourself and the only one convinced that this is true is you! Ive been a GF for over 11 years and believe it or not, the most problem on the job are from white guys (about 60% if not more). Some assume that they are entitled to special treatment because they are white or can come in drunk or tweeked up and expect others to look the other way. BS! White, Black, Purple, Yellow or Green, if you have nothing to bring to the table or if you cant carry your weight on one of my jobs, YOUR OUT! Thats why I never deal with "brothers" that never went through an apprenticeship, you come on our jobs, preach your hate and cant tell the differance between a pin wrench and your crack pipe then think you can run siht. This is a black eye to our true brothers that sacrifice their time, put in the work and truly earned their books the right way. These are the people that I will always look out for, regardless of what they look like or where they come from!

In no way am I backing what this guy said,he's wrong,but your a little too proud and frankly sound like an idiot,thanks for letting everybody know your a great gf,big deal your most likely a jerk.

41 months ago

SeaDog in Manchester, New Hampshire said: Thanks....Funny how this Forum was intended for interaction about jobs for Pipefitters and Welders and it's become a site for political venting! Yes,I'm including myself in that statement:) I guess that proves we need more jobs so we don't have so much time on our hands! It's been so long since I've worked it would probably take 2wks just for me to get back in the groove.....terrible!
I was offered a job as an Xray quality welder with SMAW,GTAW,SAW,and GMAW in a fab shop for pressure vessels and they wanted to pay $16.00 per hour! I was making that 30yrs ago....matter of fact,in 1980 I was getting 17.60 per hour.
If I'm not mistaken,the cost of living is no where near 1980 prices, so why would any one expect a person to work for those wages......I don't get it....maybe there's something they teach in economics class that I missed in the school of hard knocks. Naaaaahhhhh....

In my personal view.this is not gonna stop.i traveled those roads all my life,even as a child because my father done it and myself and my brother done it also as it went.and in a conversation with a contractor not long ago,he stated that.they could pay what ever they wanted because so many people were calling for work.and they wouldnt have to pay per diem either.yes.the industry if you ever follow it's names back up to original money loaner or sponsor.there not from america anyway.even cheny works for someone on another land.this is a well planned monuver to make america's economy tank.as we all saw thru the years.we were booming for a long time.and then it almost plumeted.even ship yards are not hireing much things are bad.and you are right.if folks were working they wouldnt be seeing all this mess going down.

Martinez in Edinburg, Texas

36 months ago

I think or at least I hope you were refering to non legal residents. Because I am Hispanic it doesn't mean I am not an American.

jon oler in Prattville, Alabama

36 months ago

Martinez in Edinburg, Texas said: I think or at least I hope you were refering to non legal residents. Because I am Hispanic it doesn't mean I am not an American.

no sir, i was referring to all tradesmen i am sorry if it comes off sounding the other way very sorry,i meant they said they could hire anybody at lower wages now because so many were looking,they take what they find and the contractor is doing them.no sir,meant all paople ok.we kewl thank you.

Steph in Red Deer Alberta

35 months ago

I don't know if Canada is drastically different then the US, but skill and the quality of a human being should not be decided by color of skin. And not all 'whites' are ignorant or have not pride or knowledge of their heritage. You dont have to have color to your skin in order to respect where your ancestors came from. I appreciate people standing up for a variety of cultures here, but please don't clump all whites together. Just because your white doesn't mean you are a biggot or racist. That is something I am proud of with being Canadian, we respect our vibrant multi-cultural county. Don't get me wrong, we have our fair share of jerks in every race and denomination, but a united whole, we embrace all cultures.
As for the original post, there are a fair bit of pipefitting jobs in Alberta. They died out for a bit when the recession hit, but jobs are slowly on the rise again, especially now that the oil & gas industry is seeing more activity! Hopes this helps.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.