union work

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 134)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

pipewelder361

68 months ago

How would I go about getting a pipe welding job with the union?....im a nccer certified pipe welder...im 22years old I have 4years of industrial pipe welding...I live in corpus christi texas....thnx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

pipewelder361 in Corpus Christi, Texas

65 months ago

rusty in Houston, Texas said: contact closest pipefitters local,selling books to qqualified welders

i just joined the local 823 i got my cert but still no work!!!!hmmmm is it a waist of money to join a union?...they still want me to pay every month!even with no work....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

gorge in Dayton, Texas

64 months ago

i live in fort worth and pipefitting jobs and for two month now

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jimmy in College Station, Texas

64 months ago

no i've been in the union for 13 years now went, did my 5 year apprenticeship. first you need to cal local 211 and ask to be sent to college station tx. or call garret mechanical in bryan texas, and ask if there hiring welders which they are. they have 15 years of work on the books . no per deim or overtime but its work and it puts food on the table. every member i know out of your local says their b.a. does not do his job. good luck and welcome to the union brother the benefits are worth it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

pipewelder361 in Corpus Christi, Texas

64 months ago

I HAVE A QUESTION?...IM A NEW 823 MEMBER CAN I GO WORK FOR ANOTHER LOCAL THAT HAS WORK?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jimmy in Bay City, Texas

64 months ago

yeah get a travel card from your local they have to have a request from the other local. let me know which local is hiring traveling into other locals are tricky. i worked with alot of guys from your local ask them to about traveling.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jimmy in Bay City, Texas

64 months ago

also 823 is a ua local united association union which is plumbers pipefitters steamfitters sprinklerfitters union as long as the local is a UA local there should be no problem getting in or instead of calling your Bussiness agent call that other local. but it also depends on the local and they could tell you to have your bussiness agent to call them for a travel card request.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

chris in Allentown, Pennsylvania

64 months ago

would love to get back into union near philadelphia or new york plumbers and pipefitters . was a member of the local 5 washington but was forced out of union because of some problems at home and had to move back to pa and want to join local in new york city which was the first . i would do anything i could to get back in and stay in forever till i retire . i have two journeyman licenses in two states and going to take my masters license in a few months but if anybody knows anyone who hiring to get me back in it would be greatly appreciated! i did work at pentagon in d.c. after 911 176 million underground renovation ,dna laboratory, univ. of maryland campus,deck layout experience ,very hard to find a good layout plumber also layout pipe on floor with fittings then hanging up the pipe goes real fast using cast iron fitting book. anybody that can help me get into either the local one new york or philly 690 or any jersey local please get back to me at four eight four six one nine one five four four thanks chris

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

hoss in Johnson City, Tennessee

63 months ago

Anybody know of any work around TN?
Been in Local 538 for 12 years and love it.But the work is dried up right now.Would love to head up north,but money is loooow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Draven6 in Angleton, Texas

63 months ago

Jimmy in College Station, Texas said: College Station,TX. has 15 years of work on the bench , local 211 handles the area out of houston . Call mark Baker and get a travel card to work down here. the pay is decent it pays the bills and puts food on the table, keeps the medical insurance going ,and the retirement.

Hey what kind of work are you doing up there in college station im on the out of work list....out of the 211 houston

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

the job im on, running gas pipe which is screwed pipe, but they have a job on 47 in college station that needs alot of welded pipe done like i said call local 211 and ask to be sent out here. its not to bad its different than downtown houston work. and your from angleton thats a long ride brother. i know that on that job i heard the foreman for the plumbers called local 68 and asked for like 40 men, dont know if thats true but thats what i heard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

fishingjt in Pueblo, Colorado

63 months ago

What hours are you working in college station?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mattscards in Houston, Texas

63 months ago

pipewelder361 in Corpus Christi, Texas said: i just joined the local 823 i got my cert but still no work!!!!hmmmm is it a waist of money to join a union?...they still want me to pay every month!even with no work....

Go ahead and stay out of the union... The union only wants quality men. If you are one of those people that whine about paying dues, then go ahead and get you a job on your own.... and save your dues money. They are probably getting the better end.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Are you a union member, mattscard

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

anthony in Brownsville, Tennessee

62 months ago

I have been welding pipe for 12 years can i just test out. I know you can in Union Boiler Maker.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

pride1 in Columbus, Ohio

62 months ago

I worked non-union in the past. I was at the mercey of the contactor if I send the wrong thing to them or they just felt bad that day. I could be looking for a new job tomarrow. I love the union way in 21 yrs. I only been laid off 2 times for approx. 1 and half months combined. The union way is the american way. If your a good mechanic you will keep a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

pride1 in Columbus, Ohio

62 months ago

I working now but i'm considering moving to huston, Texas how is work?

62 months ago

Yes Jimmy,
I have been a hard working union worker here in the Houston area for over 25 years. I don't have any problems paying my dues. I don't think the union "owes" me anything just because I pay dues. I don't pretend to be part of the union when times are bad so they can get me a job and run with my rat tail when a non-union contractor asks me to go to work for them when work is everywhere. If someone asks "Is it a waste of money to join the union?" I can't help but think that this gentleman has the wrong idea. I have no idea who this man is and what his intentions are but I don't take to kindly to the "What have you done for me lately people" I have stop trying to change their minds years ago. The union can use a few good men. Not someone who is here and not believing in it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

That was a really good reply, I do respect that. I to do not understand people in the union. I've seen everything over the years good and bad. And its getting bad now, the stuff thats going on in College Station just amazes me. The United Association laws and by-laws handbook clearly states that no journeyman shall work with a nonunion helper all helpers shall be union members. Out here they have plumbers 68 and pipefitters 211 journeymen working with nonunion members helping them hang pipe. And what bothers me is i called the local 211 b.a. and nothing ever came of it, we have union members out of work and there is plenty of work out here. We need to stay strong and take control of our work out here but no one will stand with me i tell them that 1 person cant make a difference but we all can. All the pipefitters out here dont understand that the company they are working for is not suppose to use nonunion helpers they need to be apprentices. So i ask for all help from any plumbers 68 and pipefitters 211 that read this to do something about this . i can be reached through this forum . thanks alot and if you questions about anything else illegal going on out here just ask. We need to get a hold of the United Association leaders to fix this bs in College Stastion

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Jimmy in College Station, Texas said: That was a really good reply, I do respect that. I to do not understand people in the union. I've seen everything over the years good and bad. And its getting bad now, the stuff thats going on in College Station just amazes me. The

The problem with that is Garrett is the only show in town. The union knows this is going on and they really don't like it but you know, the same thing has been going on there in Bryan for decades. I know, I was born and raised in Bryan. I think the 211 and 68 is thinking that any union company is better than no company. You can get a BA to go out there and talk to Doug or Matt or whoever but realistically if they levy heavy fines on them and start flexing their muscles, it would have an opposite effect, believe me. Believe me when I say you WILL NOT change them. If they even a little suspect you are working against them, you won't be working there very long

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

TNWELDER in Newbern, Tennessee

62 months ago

I just passed my test for local 614 in Memphis. Anyone know how long it takes to get paperwork done, and get to work ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pride1 in Columbus, Ohio

62 months ago

Jimmy in College Station, Texas said: That was a really good reply, I do respect that. I to do not understand people in the union. I've seen everything over the years good and bad. And its getting bad now, the stuff thats going on in College Station just amazes me. The United Association laws and by-laws handbook clearly states that no journeyman shall work with a nonunion helper all helpers shall be union members. Out here they have plumbers 68 and pipefitters 211 journeymen working with nonunion members helping them hang pipe. And what bothers me is i called the local 211 b.a. and nothing ever came of it, we have union members out of work and there is plenty of work out here. We need to stay strong and take control of our work out here but no one will stand with me i tell them that 1 person cant make a difference but we all can. All the pipefitters out here dont understand that the company they are working for is not suppose to use nonunion helpers they need to be apprentices. So i ask for all help from any plumbers 68 and pipefitters 211 that read this to do something about this . i can be reached through this forum . thanks alot and if you questions about anything else illegal going on out here just ask. We need to get a hold of the United Association leaders to fix this bs in College Stastion

Jimmy I have never heard or seen anything like that.. Your B.A. may have some real problems. National needs notified every member needs fined. Those are strike terms. unsafe working conditions due to unquailified labor. That B.A. needs someone to let him know he is breaking down working condition for 300,000 members or maybe he should visit the woodshed... Stand up, respect is they key.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hoss in Johnson City, Tennessee

62 months ago

Man that's a sorry situation.I sure hope you guys can get that one figured out.
Brothers and Sisters all over the country are on the bench and they're letting people off the street take our work.
It could be that some of the older union hands out there are so job scared that they don't want to stand up and do the right thing.
With this economy and all I could understand wanting to keep your job.
But this is just plain not right and in black and white.
Keep up the good fight bro!

kevans1993 in Lakeville, Minnesota

62 months ago

I'm union pipefitter/service mechanic out of oak city,ok Been in for 15 years,my grandfarther retired out of same local 344 okc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Hoss in Johnson City, Tennessee said: Man that's a sorry situation.I sure hope you guys can get that one figured out.
Brothers and Sisters all over the country are on the bench and they're letting people off the street take our work.
It could be that some of the older union hands out there are so job scared that they don't want to stand up and do the right thing.
With this economy and all I could understand wanting to keep your job.
But this is just plain not right and in black and white.
Keep up the good fight bro!

Yeah im making a call to the U.A. screw it this is why we have these by laws.

casey_hill_1984 in Ingleside, Texas

62 months ago

pipewelder361 said: How would I go about getting a pipe welding job with the union?....im a nccer certified pipe welder...im 22years old I have 4years of industrial pipe welding...I live in corpus christi texas....thnx

you know of any work going on i live in ingleside about ten mins from corpus

62 months ago

chase that cheese boy!

hector65 in Naugatuck, Connecticut

62 months ago

I'm with 777 and proud of the union. Just got my S-2 but things in CT have really slowed up. I'm thinking about traveling just wanted to get some input. I thank you local brothers and sisters.

ua189 in Columbus, Ohio

62 months ago

hi all im member local189 columbus ohio. things have been slow all year. im sick of being out of work.ive been in my local for a 3 yrs. but worked non-union for 18 yrs. combo-welder. the union is starving me to death. im really considering going back non-union. i made 3 times the money in a year. alot of union guys think there making a killing. 40hrs a week i can't even pay my bills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

That's the story all over man.
I've been on the bench for 15 months with only a shutdown or two.
Hang in there.It's the hardest I've ever seen it.But it can't go on like this too dang much longer.

62 months ago

I agree.
You get into messing with the big boys you'll get a bad name for your self fast.
And will be in worse shape than ever(work wise)
It's a tough spot man.
Good luck bro!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rusty in Kingwood, Texas

62 months ago

We need to open up a union hall full time in bryan.Have a buisness agent police the work up there.Hiring people off the street is bull.Garret is the rattiest contractor in 211.Im going to contact the hall and see if they will apoint me as a ba to handle bryan and the ratty garret.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Rusty, you wouldn't last a week. People from the Houston area are treated differently. You don't get to be in any of the "discussions". You may even BE the discussion. Whether they are ratty or not, doesn't mean it is going to change. You can see, with today's election, the new regime may attempt to go down there and talk to them, but believe me, trying to organize Bryan-College Station with another union contractor is T-O-U-G-H. Garret knows this. He has been doing the same things down there for 30 years or more. Even when he was with Drew Woods. You can talk all the smack you want. At the end of the day, the more mosquitos you kill, you see that they double, and you have 2 of them taken his place stinging your a$$. Let it go.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

localhand123 in hernando beach, Florida

62 months ago

im a 4th year apprentice but i have 4 certs and i havent been to work yet!!! can anybody give me some pointers on finding jobs
thanxs!!!

Dimestacker in Charlotte, North Carolina

61 months ago

rusty in Houston, Texas said: contact closest pipefitters local,selling books to qqualified welders

Call 421 in nc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

localhand123 in hernando beach, Florida

61 months ago

thanxs guys im going to try!! i just want to go to work id do anything right now

yepperdave in Big Spring, Texas

61 months ago

pipewelder361 said: How would I go about getting a pipe welding job with the union?....im a nccer certified pipe welder...im 22years old I have 4years of industrial pipe welding...I live in corpus christi texas....thnx

The 798 Local Pipe Liners are based out of Tulsa,OK. ask for dispatch and let her know you are interested in joining,and she will direct you from thier.good luck and have about 2,070 dollars you are ready to spend though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jh in Dover, Ohio

61 months ago

pipewelder361 in Corpus Christi, Texas said: i just joined the local 823 i got my cert but still no work!!!!hmmmm is it a waist of money to join a union?...they still want me to pay every month!even with no work....

no it is not a waste of time or money, you need to become more involved with your local and bust your a.. the more people you know and the better your attitude the better your chances, be proffesional and things will work out.

hoss in Johnson City, Tennessee

61 months ago

I've been a union pipefitter for 12 years.Most those years were great.Made lots of money.The past year was the worst I've seen though.
It'll get better.Hang in there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lshaynes in Tampa, Florida

61 months ago

pipewelder361 in Corpus Christi, Texas said: I HAVE A QUESTION?...IM A NEW 823 MEMBER CAN I GO WORK FOR ANOTHER LOCAL THAT HAS WORK?

you must contact your business manager and ask if you are allowed to travel

richard in Saint Albert, Alberta

60 months ago

hoss in Johnson City, Tennessee said: Anybody know of any work around TN?
Been in Local 538 for 12 years and love it.But the work is dried up right now.Would love to head up north,but money is loooow.

try edmonton alberta canada UA488

60 months ago

I feel your pain bro.
I've been a union pipefitter for 12 years.And this past 2 years have been the toughest I've seen.I don't think I'd go as far as to say non union is the way to go.
We're in a pretty bad slump right now,no doubt.Wise man say you must have the sour so you can ejoy the sweet all the more.
There is work out there.It's just all in connections it seems.
I know once we're out of this recession and eating high on the hog again.I'll for damn sure be making better connections.
I'll get my own work so as not to rely on a BA as much.
Good luck!

jon oler in Montgomery, Alabama

60 months ago

hi,make this short,see if you guys agree or not,our economy has crashed right.?or is falling fast.all the plants in america that are 25 years old or older should be torn down and rebuilt,all the industry is pretty old.if they would mandate a law to do this now,rebuild america from with in.the car plants.food processers,papermills.petro-chem ect ect.move all the refineries way up away from the coast that'd be so much work going on.all countries should rebuild there industry thats our only way out.you fellas in unions have meetings and talk.have you ever talk about that ? i know you guys have someone in washington to represent you.get tjhem to tell obam.rebuild these plants that are falling down.stop selling the old ones to other countries instead of rebuild.the other country gets long grace pieriod before they do anything.help me to get someone to tell obam to rebuild out industrial power and things will be rolling again.the whole industrialized world needs to do it.the corp have the money don't think they don't.well,a thought i wanted to share with the rest of the tradesmen i could talk too.what do you giuys think.you got a man in the whitehouse.good luck in all your work searchs Jon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Hoss in Johnson City, Tennessee said: I feel your pain bro.
I've been a union pipefitter for 12 years.And this past 2 years have been the toughest I've seen.I don't think I'd go as far as to say non union is the way to go.
We're in a pretty bad slump right now,no doubt.Wise man say you must have the sour so you can ejoy the sweet all the more.
There is work out there.It's just all in connections it seems.
I know once we're out of this recession and eating high on the hog again.I'll for damn sure be making better connections.
I'll get my own work so as not to rely on a BA as much.
Good luck!

i was raised in J.C have friends in pipe union there,hello.just wanted to say hi

mike solo in Lake Jackson, Texas

59 months ago

mattscards in Houston, Texas said: Go ahead and stay out of the union... The union only wants quality men. If you are one of those people that whine about paying dues, then go ahead and get you a job on your own.... and save your dues money. They are probably getting the better end.

i agree, they would be better without, iam a huge supporter of the union and there are alot of my family in local 68! one of the things that go with it

robert warburton in Manchester, United Kingdom

59 months ago

im a time served pipefitter in the uk.we have had a problem with cheap east european labour doing our work,i myself have been out of work nearly all year.we have foreign companies pricing for work with cheap labour refusing to consider british labour.i dont blame the unions(i am a union member).beleive me there are so many skilled pipefitters,welders,riggers etc,in the uk who are in despair with a government and oil companies who ignore we exist.the economic stupidity of all this,the british taxpayer is paying for unemployment benefits.stay with your union and be strong

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

Yea it's crazy!
Seems like the government would rather see you on unemplyment than to create new jobs.I thought with all the talk of the US needing our own sustainable power that we would see a big spike in the need for skilled labor to build these new power plants and such.
It does seem like we're SLOWLY clawing our way out of the hole though.
One things for sure.This recession has been a killer!
Good luck to all my brothers and sisters.

59 months ago

Jimmy in College Station, Texas said: Yeah im making a call to the U.A. screw it this is why we have these by laws.

unity,is'nt that what the union was formed on brother ?i am not sure.never did join up missed out i did. if all the tradesmen of america could walk on washington for a weekend,after we knew we had a legit arguement and we do.american industry must be rebuilt.no matter who owns them what country .25 years of service and profits.should be re invested in america in that plant.rebuild a brand new one.totally tear down the other.all countries done that.they wouldnt have to argue,be busy being happy it was booming again.i was a pipefitter for 30 years hoss.health took me out.but i watch and try to help tradesmen with fiding work.i just for ward things but i try to help.think about what i say brother and i have a thing on you tube page name windtalker07 check out what i have to say in a couple vids.peace out.

jimmy in Houston, Texas

59 months ago

jimmy in college station ,I dont know what u a con. or by-laws you've been reading but you are all wet.Helpers have a probation period, of coarse they dont have a book, nowhere in the con. or the by-laws does it address this situation.This is how you grow,not everyone is lucky enough to be born into it.You use the apprentice program,helpers,and welders and fitters that have been properly tested.If I was afraid of a helper getting my job I would get some continuous education, its free you know at 211.Who did you talk to at the Hall? When is the last meeting you went to? You dont call the U A you follow the chain of command , that is one of the things that got us into trusteeship.
PROUD 42 year member
OH! By the way hello CRUSTY no telling who you'll run into out here.

arrill_13

58 months ago

Jimmy in College Station, Texas said: That was a really good reply, I do respect that. I to do not understand people in the union. I've seen everything over the years good and bad. And its getting bad now, the stuff thats going on in College Station just amazes me. The United Association laws and by-laws handbook clearly states that no journeyman shall work with a nonunion helper all helpers shall be union members. Out here they have plumbers 68 and pipefitters 211 journeymen working with nonunion members helping them hang pipe. And what bothers me is i called the local 211 b.a. and nothing ever came of it, we have union members out of work and there is plenty of work out here. We need to stay strong and take control of our work out here but no one will stand with me i tell them that 1 person cant make a difference but we all can. All the pipefitters out here dont understand that the company they are working for is not suppose to use nonunion helpers they need to be apprentices. So i ask for all help from any plumbers 68 and pipefitters 211 that read this to do something about this . i can be reached through this forum . thanks alot and if you questions about anything else illegal going on out here just ask. We need to get a hold of the United Association leaders to fix this bs in College Stastion

i work for GMI
im a tradesmen out of 211 and i have helpers that r nonunion.they r like the best. what is the problem that a lot of journeymen and apperntes r worth less they think that can f off all day they dnt gett things done. i have 2 yrs experience and have serpasst some of the journeymen in everything i get things done if your those kind on workers that like to f off dnt even bother coming to college station. if ur a good hand ur more then welcome.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.