Union to Non-Union

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Sally Fields in Medford, Oregon

59 months ago

Does anyone know the ramifications of going from union to non-union job. I am currently in the (669) pipe fitter union, but don't want to move my family to where to work is. However, becasue the work is out-of-town, I never get to be with my family.

I need to know:
a) how to declare I am going non-union to avoid penalties
b) how long my medical and dental benefits will last once I start a non-union job
c) what will happen to my pension

Any answers would be helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

James Mott in Beaumont, Texas

57 months ago

Sally Fields in Medford, Oregon said: Does anyone know the ramifications of going from union to non-union job. I am currently in the (669) pipe fitter union, but don't want to move my family to where to work is. However, becasue the work is out-of-town, I never get to be with my family.

I need to know:
a) how to declare I am going non-union to avoid penalties
b) how long my medical and dental benefits will last once I start a non-union job
c) what will happen to my pension

Any answers would be helpful.

Well I dropped out because I quit paying dues because I drank too much but I have found out in the Beaumont Texas area where union was very strong for many years until the non union companies took over, it is hard. You may have a foreman who is 21 years old and thinks he or she knows everything. Secondly, there have two types of fitters. Bolt up fitter and fabricator. No place for an old fashion pipe hand that can do just about anything. Do not know about your local but you can always go through Cobra which is expensive. Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

triumphbob@msc.com in Charleston, South Carolina

53 months ago

did that 18 years ago dont see no change in wages or bennys.at least now drive there truck /phone/creit card union never did that

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

1LAUGHING in Sylacauga, Alabama

38 months ago

crane66 in Lima, Ohio said: u quiter ! just quit .
y worry about bennies. u not get them workin rat.
u forfeit all pension,annuitys and brains
u quiter !

My local has an ongoing tradition of pulling fitter/welders for jobs and going around fitters on the top of the list,
indicating our hall is a welder union and fitters aren't given appropriate credit for the skill.
In addition to the friends/family first click.
On top of the powerhouse agreement made by the UA is killing our Union.
Let us be what we say we are before condemning others for trying to feed thier family. I love what the union is supposed to be, But the hypocrisy of calling someone a rat when you should get your on house in order is ignorant of the reasons why.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pipefitter/Welders Wife in Jacksonville, Texas

37 months ago

pipefitter local 502 louisville, ky in Shepherdsville, Kentucky said: First of all, 669 is a sprinklerfitter's local, not a fitters local. A sprinklerfitter is a fitter junior or baby fitter for lack of better words. Now, having cleared that up I would like to say it would be a huge mistake to go and work rat and possibly tarnish (if you have one) your good name. If you work nonunion and belong to a union, you are taking away from your brothers and using your skills learned from all of the old timers in your local to work against them and work against your own pension. Keep you pride and your backbone, DON'T WORK RAT!

My husband is not in the baby or sprinlerfitter's local and we are having to work a non union job, why? We have kids to feed and bills to pay! No union work out of our local every time we call the union office we are told no work right now and 60+ on the bench before us. When you are younger and having bills and kiddos the small unemployment checks dont cut it. I'd rather "work rat" than be on welfare and let other ppl take care of our responsibilities! Saving "your good name" in the union does't pay the bills some times!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Pipefitter/Welders Wife in Jacksonville, Texas

37 months ago

1LAUGHING in Sylacauga, Alabama said: My local has an ongoing tradition of pulling fitter/welders for jobs and going around fitters on the top of the list,
indicating our hall is a welder union and fitters aren't given appropriate credit for the skill.
In addition to the friends/family first click.
On top of the powerhouse agreement made by the UA is killing our Union.
Let us be what we say we are before condemning others for trying to feed thier family. I love what the union is supposed to be, But the hypocrisy of calling someone a rat when you should get your on house in order is ignorant of the reasons why.

Isn't that the truth..friends/family first situation is an ongoing problem. 10 years younger and less experienced first one on job and last man on job while others have been laid off for months and should go out first. I mean who really wants to join a union and pay due's and then what seems like monthly widow fees etc. and have to go beat the pavement for non union jobs and then critiized for it, but when you call the union hall it's "naw man no work going on right now and 6o+ on the bench ahead of you" when you express your family needs and financial situations! So the rude "rat" and "quitter" post are offensive and unacceptable!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

piperate in Florissant, Missouri

37 months ago

crane66 in Lima, Ohio said: u quiter ! just quit .
y worry about bennies. u not get them workin rat.
u forfeit all pension,annuitys and brains
u quiter !

You're what's wrong with this country dip sh*t. You're going to sit there and abuse this man for his loyalty to his family over the union. In America you have the right to fire someone that is not doing what you pay/hired them to do. Let us not forget history you loyalist mook, when Prohibition was lifted in 1933 the MOFIA turned to the next big money maker LABOR UNIONS. “Pay me to protect you and your work ....oh your not working? F**k you pay me.” Does that sound familiar? And the “rats” get paid because they work. Oh, I get it now, your that guy; the guy that sits on is ass and gets paid thoughtlessly because of the union backing you. Never mind then, carry on dirt bag. The only way for a union to be just is for an amendment on hire/fire regulations and for the union to forfeit receiving dues when a member is not employed. By the way if you're going to insult someone check your grammar and spelling, simpleton.

I have never worked union, so I can't help here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bobby in Los Angeles, California

37 months ago

Pipefitter/Welders Wife in Jacksonville, Texas said: My husband is not in the baby or sprinlerfitter's local and we are having to work a non union job, why? We have kids to feed and bills to pay! No union work out of our local every time we call the union office we are told no work right now and 60+ on the bench before us. When you are younger and having bills and kiddos the small unemployment checks don't cut it. I'd rather "work rat" than be on welfare and let other ppl take care of our responsibilities! Saving "your good name" in the union doesn't pay the bills some times!

It is really sucked that our own "Brothers" will put you down for trying to pay bills and feed your family. I put my travel card in 364, last I heard they had 500 on the out of work list on book 1, I am number 300 on book 2.
Some union contractors have gone non-union an are doing prevailing wage jobs, but the union says "Do not work or even try to work for those guys" Yeah it is easy for those Bus managers , Agents and all of the UA guys to say do not work when on average they make over $100,000 each, even the secretaries get minimum $55 to 65 thousand a year with all benefits. While at best we work 1 month a year.
It is a crock, then they will be going to the UA Covention in Vegas with while we are eating beans they enjoy the fruits of our labor. Last convention they spent I think it was $100 thousand on the guy,you know that movie "Rudy" well the guy the story was about, he got $100 thousand speaking fee among others.
They should of had a budget cutback UA Convention, to show solidarity for all out of work members across the United States by cutting out the fat, but no it is business as usual.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

starship in Cameron, North Carolina

37 months ago

piperate in Florissant, Missouri said: You're what's wrong with this country dip sh*t. You're going to sit there and abuse this man for his loyalty to his family over the union. In America you have the right to fire someone that is not doing what you pay/hired them to do. Let us not forget history you loyalist mook, when Prohibition was lifted in 1933 the MOFIA turned to the next big money maker LABOR UNIONS. “Pay me to protect you and your work ....oh your not working? F**k you pay me.” Does that sound familiar? And the “rats” get paid because they work. Oh, I get it now, your that guy; the guy that sits on is ass and gets paid thoughtlessly because of the union backing you. Never mind then, carry on dirt bag. The only way for a union to be just is for an amendment on hire/fire regulations and for the union to forfeit receiving dues when a member is not employed. By the way if you're going to insult someone check your grammar and spelling, simpleton.

I have never worked union, so I can't help here.

Union sucks, it's not what is once was, thanks to the crooks that work there,In the 50s and 60s it was necessary, to be treated fair but all the care about now is your money, My husband made better money, better benifits then he could with the union.Worked there for 10 years.
I worked for several unions and they did nothing for me except take part of my pay check.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ldb638 in New York, New York

34 months ago

my union doesn't have a hiring hall. i have been out of work for two years my unemployment is finished and i cleaned out every account i had including my annuity. I don't know what i am goinf to do and the union continues to want their money.Like many ideas the union in theory is a good idea but how do you stop greed from taking over

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bobby in Los Angeles, California

34 months ago

It is as if the union has become more top heavy, top heavy with spending, top heavy with power, top heavy with relatives who needs jobs so they create them rather than cutting back on expenses.
In theory a union is wonderful but we have to remember they are humans, with weakness for greed and corruption and no different than Wall Street goons.
Foe example our District Council-16 has a manager Sid Stolper who is so huge , like Pizza the hut, I am not trying to be a jerk but he is massive he makes over 120 thousand a year maybe more, then he makes an additional amount for each of the committees he sits on, on top of that he is now appointed to a UA position, now he is making bank! 3 jobs!!!!
Then he has his buddies he has appointed in cushy positions also making bank.
Then word is the UA "scolded" California locals for not putting more money into the PAC Fund to fight the Republicans, that the members have to give more. So the managers of the locals gave some bullcrap speech and "scolding" to the underworked that we must give give give!!!!

The irony is that in the District council we have no jobs for the members, members are broke, so they continue to keep the "Organizers" who make over 100 thousand a year. Instead of getting rid of these expensive appointees, they give a rash of crap to the broke member, the member who is losing his home, the member whose wife left him because in order to get government assistance families have to separate, INSTEAD OF DOING THE RIGHT THING THEY CONTINUE TO SPEND FEVERISHLY AS IF THEIR WAS NO TOMORROW!!!

These "Appointed" not voted for organizers are not needed, in the past many of the Business Agents used to do the organizing, but they keep their relatives in cushy jobs, instead of putting a halt to hiring organizers they just hired a new one for the Sprinkler fitters.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bobby in Los Angeles, California

34 months ago

ldb638 in New York, New York said: my union doesn't have a hiring hall. i have been out of work for two years my unemployment is finished and i cleaned out every account i had including my annuity. I don't know what i am goinf to do and the union continues to want their money.Like many ideas the union in theory is a good idea but how do you stop greed from taking over

If they were really on the union members side the appointed union officials would:

- cease all hiring or appointments until members have a 5% unemployment, until economy improves.
-cease all PAC funding by all union members
-fire all appointed "Organizers"
- Use money saved from firing "Organizers" to pay for the PAC fund
-reduce all expense accounts

this is a good start but do you think they will change, nope, they do not want to.
they want to kill the union with a slow death, they want to kill the union members heart.
Why would they change after all as one DC-16 official said " we can't change a thing, its will always be like this"

These are the guys who are sitting too comfortable on our backs, they have no heart to help the regular members, and these guys who feel so comfortable have no business representing any of us with this attitude!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.