Pipe fitters what the heck!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

inlinecowboy in Los Lunas, New Mexico

30 months ago

OK I was thinking of going into the Pipe fitter trad! But now I'm rethinking that! When I started looking into the trad it looked like something I could see myself doing for years. But as I read more and more all I read is people itching and crying about the pipe fitter trad! So it seems like there's no point in learning the trad because I would not be able to fined work because it seems I would need 25 to 35 years under my belt just to get a job But you cant get the years if you can't get a job to get the years??? Still don't get that one! But say you get a app witch from what I can see on here no one anywhere is doing any more! But lets say you did You would have to endure years of abuse from old JM years of low pay and on again off again lay off's? SO with all that said what do I do Is this a trad that's going to just die off our can young blood still find a future in it!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rob in Calgary, Alberta

30 months ago

Just depends where you live I guess. All kinds of pipefitting jobs up here in Alberta. We've been trying to hire one for months. Finally got a second yr apprentice who looks like a great worker. Question is how long will he stay with all those higher paying jobs up North.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paul Hill in Eden Prairie, Minnesota

27 months ago

inlinecowboy in Los Lunas, New Mexico said: OK I was thinking of going into the Pipe fitter trad! But now I'm rethinking that! When I started looking into the trad it looked like something I could see myself doing for years. But as I read more and more all I read is people itching and crying about the pipe fitter trad! So it seems like there's no point in learning the trad because I would not be able to fined work because it seems I would need 25 to 35 years under my belt just to get a job But you cant get the years if you can't get a job to get the years??? Still don't get that one! But say you get a app witch from what I can see on here no one anywhere is doing any more! But lets say you did You would have to endure years of abuse from old JM years of low pay and on again off again lay off's? SO with all that said what do I do Is this a trad that's going to just die off our can young blood still find a future in it!!

Relax, it is never as bad as it seems. I have been in this game for almost eighteen years.
Yes, there will be layoffs. Yes, the job always ends. Yes, there will be some A-hole journeymen to give you crap. No, you do not have to endure it forever. Yes, even I will make fun of you when you blunder. (I expect it from you too). Yes, us old timers still screw up. No, nobody was born knowing this. It is a career path, one of many. It is not for the thin skinned or easily offended. It pays very well, although don't expect to make great money AND be home all the time. (It seems that you get to chosse between the two). If you show you want to learn, most J-men will teach you. If they won't, Email me, I will. This is a dying craft, too many brothers and uncles out there mucking things up. I must admit that it makes it difficult to get in. Once you do though, you can shine and you will have no trouble working. Just work hard and LEARN all that you can. Watch everyone, even the ones who have no idea. (What not to do).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rex in Gilbertsville, Kentucky

24 months ago

Paul i came accross your last comment and would really like to get in touch with you. I want to start a career, im a very hard worker, and i will do my best to learn everything. I just wanted to ask you a few questions could you e-mail me at american_racing7th@yahoo.com? I cant figure out how to email you on this site.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.