Getting a Plant Manager job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

How did you get your start doing Plant Manager work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Dan Snodgrass in Fairfield, Ohio

75 months ago

My career began in the manufacturing engineering area. I started as a tool/fixture and gage designeer and eventually got into manufacturing engineering. Once I started doing enginering work I began working on my degrees. I first earned a two year in Manufacturing engineering and then a four year degree in Mechanical Engineering. Eventually I took a job as a Product Line Manager starting up a new assembly operation and that set me on track to get into manufacturing management. I felt if I was ever going to get to do things the way I felt they should be done, I needed to be in a position that gave me the authority to do it. While I was in the Product Line Manager role I felt I needed an MBA to continue on my path. So I completed one in 2005. That opened the door for a Manufacturing Engineering position and eventually the Plant Manager positions I've held since.

I think both an enginering degree and the MBA have help me tremendously. The engineering degree helped me to think about problems in a systematic way. My MBA is in finance so it helps me understand the financial aspect of the position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

herman in Surabaya, Indonesia

72 months ago

Hi,

My name is Herman, i'm a plant manager in a plastic manufacture for more than 1 1/2 year.
I have experienced working with steel manufacturer for more than 15 years with the last position as senior production manager, and also with another plastic manufacturer for more than 4 years as plant manager too.
I'm looking for work with either a plastic or steel industry in the area of Jabotabek, Banten or East Java.
The reason i want to move from this company, because it's going to be shuted off.
Whoever interested, please respond so i can send my resume.

Regards,
Herman

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

M_S in Guilford, Connecticut

70 months ago

Join the club! If there is a job out their you can bet that their are 100,000 resumes at 1/2 of what you are being paid...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Arnaldo in Drummondville, Quebec

21 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing Plant Manager work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

I graduated as Mechanical Engineer and got my first job as Production Shift Supervisor at the Packing Department. Over time I was transferred/promoted to the following positions:
- Employee Relations manager
- Production Shift Supervisor at the Making Department
- Production Manager (Making Dpt.)
- Operations Group manager
- Planning & Inventory Control manager (Corporate position)
- Plant manager

All those movements happened within a six year period.
I was promoted to the Plant manager position at age 29.
My employer was Procter & Gamble (Venezuela).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.