Getting a plant operator job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

How did you get your start doing plant operator work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Joe Broadwater in Prairie Hill, Texas

88 months ago

US Navy has the best training available to prepare for a position in the power industry in the civilian world. Otherwise there are technical schools that offer associate degrees in power plant operations. One of the best I know of is Bismark State College in North Dakota. I think they even have a distance learning degree program for this. Or you can shoot for entry level positions in power plant such as a laborer or maybe a helper of some sort. After once you have your foot in the door it's all about hard work and learning from the right person.

I went to the Navy for six years, then to power plants as the lowest level operator in 1992 and have been an Operations Supervisor since 2005. To get here I just worked hard, found things that needed improvements and implemented them. Continued to train mainly by reading and also by finding the right person to train me in a paticular specialty.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

oldop in Castle Rock, Colorado

57 months ago

I will second Bismark State !!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

boggs in Griffin, Georgia

49 months ago

i can do the job and do you a good job.god bless ya

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.