Top production assistant skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every production assistant must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your production assistant expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

PRODUCTION ASSISTANT BOOTCAMP STAFF in Los Angeles, California

71 months ago

What you NEED TO KNOW as a P.A. or to become a P.A. or even to get consistent work as a P.A. is all TAUGHT at P.A. BOOTCAMP.

<Edited by Host: contact info removed>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

PA Film Junkie in Pasadena, California

65 months ago

***I agree with "PA dude"..... especially with the "willingness to learn" skill. The most frustrating person to meet or work with in the industry is someone with an ego..... In my opinion, it's almost impossible not to at least learn something from each project anyway...So thats a good attitude to have.

Also, a really important skill is *Networking.* Make cards with your contact info to pass out at the end of a show. With that in mind, your work on that current project also serves as part of your interview for the next project, in a sense. So, you want to always do your best, especially when it comes to the "Teamwork" and "Good Attendance" skills. Then, the cards you hand out have a good potential of leading to future jobs-- I hope this helps and I'm sure more responses can fill in what i left out :) ***

and...maybe we can learn "what [we] need to know" from the bootcamp as they say But, ... Maybe we can actually be convinced if the company would tell us some "top production assistant skills needed to get the job,"which is the subject for discussion lol... Then they would be participating in the discussion like everyone else here...But, if they just want to advertise and not contribute by discussing the production assistant skills i guess that is their loss right??. ---I say this after reading their previous posts in other threads at indeed.com. Anyone else who's reading this now should go check those out too..Or you may not even have to check. They could have posted something right underneath me by now and have started World Wide Web War III :P

-I have read some good advise in these threads and it sucks that some of the discussions are broken up with advertising. Enough of that tho. Looking forward to reading more posts on PA skills! ;) lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PA Film Junkie in Pasadena, California

65 months ago

it was this thread....

"What are the best production assistant qualifications and training to get ahead? - 45 Replies"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kara Dee Walbridge in Carrollton, Georgia

65 months ago

PA Film Junkie in Pasadena, California said: ***I agree with "PA dude"..... especially with the "willingness to learn" skill. The most frustrating person to meet or work with in the industry is someone with an ego..... In my opinion, it's almost impossible not to at least learn something from each project anyway...So thats a good attitude to have.

Also, a really important skill is *Networking.* Make cards with your contact info to pass out at the end of a show. With that in mind, your work on that current project also serves as part of your interview for the next project, in a sense. So, you want to always do your best, especially when it comes to the "Teamwork" and "Good Attendance" skills. Then, the cards you hand out have a good potential of leading to future jobs-- I hope this helps and I'm sure more responses can fill in what i left out :) ***

and...maybe we can learn "what [we] need to know" from the bootcamp as they say But, ... Maybe we can actually be convinced if the company would tell us some "top production assistant skills needed to get the job,"which is the subject for discussion lol... Then they would be participating in the discussion like everyone else here...But, if they just want to advertise and not contribute by discussing the production assistant skills i guess that is their loss right??. ---I say this after reading their previous posts in other threads at indeed.com. Anyone else who's reading this now should go check those out too..Or you may not even have to check. They could have posted something right underneath me by now and have started World Wide Web War III :P

-I have read some good advise in these threads and it sucks that some of the discussions are broken up with advertising. Enough of that tho. Looking forward to reading more posts on PA skills! ;) lol

Thank you! I know not a thing about this business but I do have the skills you mentioned. I am living just outside Atlanta and need a new gig. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Conrad in West Covina, California

51 months ago

School for a PA job isn't necessary. We often hire nice people who will be helpful and work hard. I like the Dudes post. Don't be too busy passing out those cards, it can be distracting. If you are wrapped up in trying to get discovered it will annoy the guests of the show. But make sure you have them available upon request.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

chuck in Astoria, New York

46 months ago

just be ready to get crapped on and make no money but work ungodly amount of hours so stupid american society can sit home and watch a show that will be cancelled after 5 months of work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Gdspreacher in Albuquerque, New Mexico

45 months ago

I'm turning 45 in a few days, and looking to start something new. Do you think becoming a PA is wise?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Timmy in La Mirada, California

43 months ago

Gdspreacher in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: I'm turning 45 in a few days, and looking to start something new. Do you think becoming a PA is wise?

No! It takes nearly a decade to move up to a position where you can join a union, which is where you will really make some money. It takes that long because you need to keep getting work, which isn't always easy to do. SO starting as a PA at 45 would be a horrible idea.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Brit in Bozeman, Montana

43 months ago

I keep hearing how PA work should be easy to find in LA, even with no school because no experience is needed- however I am unsure of where to apply and where to begin to look for these. I am willing to work whenever, for no money.
Does anyone have links?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Downey, California

33 months ago

I found this review site very helpful to find anything I need for the production. Found the best companies to work with in no time. (www.productioncritic.com)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Downey, California

32 months ago

They just added a Crew section on www.productioncritic.com which allows you to be found by hundreds of companies and the best part is that it's free to publish yourself, but I recommend you upgrade to a premium listing for better exposure...it is only $20/yr and get to express yourself to potential employers.

LuvyGyrl in Pompano Beach, Florida

27 months ago

Timmy in La Mirada, California said: No! It takes nearly a decade to move up to a position where you can join a union, which is where you will really make some money. It takes that long because you need to keep getting work, which isn't always easy to do. SO starting as a PA at 45 would be a horrible idea.

What about a 30-yr-old woman who has worked in an internship, as a production assistant, 6 years ago but would like to get back on track? Also, she has a strong work ethic, is in great shape, and is willing to run around in circles if she has to?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Desire'e Talcott in Crestview, Florida

27 months ago

Conrad in West Covina, California said: School for a PA job isn't necessary. We often hire nice people who will be helpful and work hard. I like the Dudes post. Don't be too busy passing out those cards, it can be distracting. If you are wrapped up in trying to get discovered it will annoy the guests of the show. But make sure you have them available upon request.

I'd have to say yes it would be good to meet people, but I'm not wanting to try and be on tv. Personally I'd just love to give them a hand with anything they need, get a drink, a new shirt, anything would just be an awesome job. But your saying I don't need a bachelors degree for this? I have my associate degree but if I can find a job like this and beagle to do what I've dreamed would be amazing. Any suggestions?

shaun r in Albuquerque, New Mexico

25 months ago

Conrad in West Covina, California said: School for a PA job isn't necessary. We often hire nice people who will be helpful and work hard. I like the Dudes post. Don't be too busy passing out those cards, it can be distracting. If you are wrapped up in trying to get discovered it will annoy the guests of the show. But make sure you have them available upon request.

Passing out your card on the set is a big NO NO. Only if it is requested. Not only does it annoy the guests it will really "piss of" the rest of the crew. Always remember set protocal and show some decorum.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TN in Los Angeles, California

20 months ago

Adaptability, Multi-tasking, Can do attitude definitely. I've PA'd for three years and I've found that when talking to people at the top they all want those kind of htings. Remember as PA days are unpredictable so you have to be able to adapt, be work and willing to do anything and be able to do two things at a time. As for that PA bootcamp BS, anyone can do that stuff. The stuff they teach you, ask any regular PA and they'll likely teach you everything the PA bootcamp will and will do it for free.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.