Opportunities for Foreign PMPs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

Rattan Boodram in Chaguanas, Trinidad and Tobago

83 months ago

Does anyone know if US firms provide workpermit sponsorship for foreign PMPs? Presently I am the Head of the PMO in my country butI am looking to get international experience as I think it is the next step in my career development.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (65) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Straight Talk PMP in Fort Worth, Texas

83 months ago

American Airlines and Sabre sponsor IT folks. Most of the consulting houses hire internationaly. IBM, P-W, Accenture,...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Rattan Boodram in Tunapuna, Trinidad and Tobago

83 months ago

Straight Talk PMP in Fort Worth, Texas said: American Airlines and Sabre sponsor IT folks. Most of the consulting houses hire internationaly. IBM, P-W, Accenture,...

Thanks Straight Talk. I think a great challenge for PMP generalists is that there are more opportunities for IT trained PMPs. I did electrical and computer engineering and know SDLCs etc. What I have not done is a lot of programming. Most companies who hire internationally seem to prefer persons who are skilled in programming and PMP is desirable but not necessary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rattan Boodram in Couva, Trinidad and Tobago

82 months ago

Hello Eddy,

Your company is definitely different. But I have been looking for international experience for quite a while and although I am PMP certified the feedback I usually get is that my experience in construction management is not sufficient and my experience in IT specialities such as programming and knowledge of C++, SQL, SAP etc etc is not sufficient.

So what is the name of your company? Maybe I can submit my resume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rattan Boodram in Tunapuna, Trinidad and Tobago

82 months ago

Hello Eddy,

I checked out the Red Prairie site. You should check out the job requirements for Project Managers....none say PMP...all ask for IT background.

Interesting that you say that all your PMs are required to be PMP.

I am not trying to be-labour a point, but I honestly think that a lot of companies view Project Management as a skill and not a profession.

Rattan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

VINOD in Manama, Bahrain

80 months ago

I am a certified PMP with 20 years experience in civil construction management.How is the job opportunity in the US ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rodrigo in Villavicencio, Colombia

77 months ago

In order to be recognized as an Professional Engineer in US, I took and pass the EI and PE exams and I have the PE license, after that I took and pass the PMP exam from PMI. I am BSCE with 23 years of experience in the oil and gas industry in my country (Colombia). But now as soon I send my resume companies respond that dont sponsor visas. Is there some how I can work in US? If I get an E visa (inversionist, working for my company) can I work for an american company?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Chaguanas, Trinidad and Tobago in Princes Town, Trinidad and Tobago

73 months ago

Rattan Boodram in Chaguanas, Trinidad and Tobago said: Does anyone know if US firms provide workpermit sponsorship for foreign PMPs? Presently I am the Head of the PMO in my country butI am looking to get international experience as I think it is the next step in my career development.

What are your qualifications. Let us know

Rattan Boodram in Chaguanas, Trinidad and Tobago

73 months ago

Chaguanas, Trinidad and Tobago in Princes Town, Trinidad and Tobago said: What are your qualifications. Let us know

BSc. Electrical and Computer Engineering. Completing MBA (two outstanding courses to complete). PMP (four years). Significant experience in managing engineering (electrical), construction and telecommunications infrastructure projects.

Rodrigo Vargas in Villavicencio, Colombia

73 months ago

I am in a similar situation of Rattan from Trinidad.I am a BSCE, PE Licensed (Florida) and PMP with more than 20 years of experience in the oil and gas industry. It has been hard finding a job in US. Companies ask for legal status to work in US. and no one sponsor an H visa. I am looking for to get an E2 visa (investment) by my own and then try again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

bob in Charlotte, North Carolina

70 months ago

Rattan Boodram in Tunapuna, Trinidad and Tobago said: Hello Eddy,

I checked out the Red Prairie site. You should check out the job requirements for Project Managers....none say PMP...all ask for IT background.

Interesting that you say that all your PMs are required to be PMP.

I am not trying to be-labour a point, but I honestly think that a lot of companies view Project Management as a skill and not a profession.

Rattan[/PMP certification is no longer of any value. It has gone the way that all certifications seem to go. It was great idea and of value when it was first instituted but has gotten diluted and worthless as time has pasted.

Anyone can get a PMP certification now by simply going to one of the thousands of web sites and pay your money and you can become certified in 4 days. No experience needed. There are no prerequisites just pay your money and take the test.

Also now they are requiring PMI certified persons to pay an annual fee to stay certified. This is nothing more then a money making scheme.

I have been managing projects since 1978 and in the past 4 years I have been asked on 6 occasions to go bail out “PMP Certified Project Managers” whose projects were in the toilet in one manner or another because they didn’t have real world experience. I would suggest that instead of wasting your money on that certification go take a good project methodology class and get a good mentor to help you.

Also companies are starting to realize that PMI certification doesn’t mean anything anymore and in fact may mean that the person’s qualifications are suspect. They’ve been burnt several times. Particularly from the persons coming from overseas.
The only person that may still ask for it are personnel people or recruiters that don’t know anything about IT and don’t know what to look for in a qualified project manager and use it as a crutch.
QUOTE]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Alberto Suarez in Mexico

69 months ago

Hi,

I am PMP with experience in the automotive, electrical and commercial industries looking for an opportunity in US in a different industry (i,e. toys).

Mexicans have the opportuntiy to get the TN visa, but I have been looking for a PMP position with no success.

Does any body knows if there is a link, Headhunter, or other company that can help?

Thanks

Lucky Ed in Eaton Bray, United Kingdom

52 months ago

Rattan Boodram in Chaguanas, Trinidad and Tobago said: Does anyone know if US firms provide workpermit sponsorship for foreign PMPs? Presently I am the Head of the PMO in my country butI am looking to get international experience as I think it is the next step in my career development.

Hi,

I'm actually in the opposite situation as I would like to come and work as a project manager in Colombia can anyone help with this?

Ed Mullan

Rodrigo Vargas in Bogotá, Colombia

52 months ago

Hi Ed

If you look at the EL TIEMPO advertisements every sunday you can find many request for bilingual project managers PMPs especially in the Oil&Gas industry

Kelvin in Rowland Heights, California

50 months ago

YOU ARE INVITED TO PARTICIPATE

I came across an interesting website for project managers. The site studies the importance of emotional and cultural intelligence (plus some other attributes) of project managers in relation to their project management performance.

It offers free assessment in those two intelligence quotients (EQ & CQ). Such professional assessments normally cost hundreds of dollars but the site's free assessment is for a limited time only. The assessments were designed by pioneers and eminent researchers in the respective fields. I recommend you to check it out because it may be beneficial to your career.

www.profilingmanager.com

49 months ago

One PMP to another: Improve your EQ/CQ for career advancements.

EMOTIONAL & CULTURAL INTELLIGENCE (EQ/CQ) TRUMPS IQ for Project Success

I came across an interesting website for project managers. The site studies the importance of emotional and cultural intelligence (plus some other attributes) of project managers in relation to their project management performance.

It offers free assessment in those two intelligence quotients (EQ & CQ), which are found to be more important than IQ for professional success. Such professional assessments normally cost hundreds of dollars but the site's free assessment is for a limited time only. The assessments were designed by pioneers and eminent researchers in the respective fields. I recommend you to check it out because it may be beneficial to your career. You can remain fully anonymous in the 15-minute participation.

www.profilingmanager.com

www.profilingmanager.com/emailfriend.asp

49 months ago

Eddy, from one PMP to another: EQ/CQ + PMP is solid

EMOTIONAL & CULTURAL INTELLIGENCE (EQ/CQ) TRUMPS IQ for Project Success

It offers free assessment in those two intelligence quotients (EQ & CQ), which are found to be more important than IQ for professional success. Such professional assessments normally cost hundreds of dollars but the site's free assessment is for a limited time only. The assessments were designed by pioneers and eminent researchers in the respective fields. I recommend you to check it out because it may be beneficial to your career. You can remain fully anonymous in the 15-minute participation.

www.profilingmanager.com

www.profilingmanager.com/emailfriend.asp

49 months ago

Opps, thought my direct Reply is indented under the original author's thread. Sorry, i just find no option to delete what i dup posted.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.