Project Manager Interview Question

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Opticrit in Markham, Ontario

49 months ago

How to respond to an interview question posed to me recently- "what would you do if a project is nearing the launch and it seems difficult to meet the deadline- you cannot change scope, time and cost of the project"?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Rb in Independence, Missouri

49 months ago

I would respond with confirmation that as a PM my job would be to turn "seems difficult" into a successfully launch. Early on with planning, leadership and removal of obstacales I would ensure that I reduced the risks of not meeting a deadline later in the project.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

CareerGuru in San Francisco, California

49 months ago

Consider what other variables can be changed, and turn those into a positive outcome.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

pmpmw in Saint Charles, Missouri

43 months ago

Opticrit in Markham, Ontario said: How to respond to an interview question posed to me recently- "what would you do if a project is nearing the launch and it seems difficult to meet the deadline- you cannot change scope, time and cost of the project"?

I would review the current situation with the project team, evaluating the issues that influence or impacts not meeting the schedule deadlines. Determine if schedule compression via crashing or fast tracking critical paths was possible to meet the deadline, and analyze what risks or time reserves might be eliminated. Of course, remove all time padding in the schedule by team members. After trouble-shooting the results from the aforementioned activities, re-estimating a realistic schedule will be determined.

If the re-estimated project schedule meets within the deadline requirements we can procede if there are no other impacts to quality, time, scope, cost, risk and resources.

If re-estimation does not meet the project requirements, then the next step would be to inform the project sponsor that a change request approval would be necessary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Tony - GTDESIGNBUILD in La Verne, California

36 months ago

As a Project Manager, the following are strategies and/or minimum requirements to delivering a project on time and/or ahead of schedule:
1. Initiate the Project submittal review/approval process for Design & Specifications and track closely (eliminate Design variance risk / exposure).
2. Review and answer all RFI's within a 24 hr. period (eliminate Change Order risk / exposure)
3. Initiate a team review of all project uncertainties (i.e. confirming as-built conditions up front before project launch).
4. Initiate and confirm the procurement of any/all long lead items, including MOCK-UPS. Confirm availability of any additional stock (standby for emergency purchase).
5. Initiate a weekly meeting (with critical partners) to confirm #one through #four (above) and forecast ongoing developments.
NOTE: Project status (and team responsibilities) will need to be re addressed at 120/90/60/30 day out from completion.
6. Per item #five (above), review/confirm any variance to Design, Schedule & Budget and coordinate approval(s) for alternate(s).
7. A committed team (SALARIED) understands that a 40 hour week only applies only to required sleep. The remaining 128 hours may be required to complete the work week.
8. Encourage, motivate and coach all under your supervision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

John in Hanoi, Vietnam

32 months ago

Hi

To find out all interview questions for project manager, you can follow steps as follows:

1. Identify project manager job description

and you can answer:

How to do?
How to control?
What is?

2. Identify project manager qualifications

then...

What are key skills, abilities, knowledge for each task or the position.

3. List all common and manager interview questions

More source:

jobsearch.about.com/od/interviewquestionsanswers/a/interviewquest.htm

interviewquestionsandanswers.biz/project-interview-questions-and-answers/

Rgs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Z in New York, New York

24 months ago

Opticrit in Markham, Ontario said: How to respond to an interview question posed to me recently- "what would you do if a project is nearing the launch and it seems difficult to meet the deadline- you cannot change scope, time and cost of the project"?

These are three parts of PM triangle. In order to adjust one of it (make it short or long), the other(s) need to be flexible. In this case, if cope, time, and cost all are inflexible, it is like you have a flat tire, and no spare. Honest answer is to shelf the project as it will not be delivered. You are being tricked to lie that no matter what, I will deliver the project, I will make the team work extra hours, blah, blah, blah. Basically, this project is screwed, and precaution and escalation should have been take n earlier, not at the time of delivery.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

PMConnection in Charlotte, North Carolina

5 months ago

If all of my variables in the triple constraint of Scope, Time and Cost are fixed, then the best thing that I could do is a solid risk assessment. I would then share the results of that risk assessment with the project stakeholders to make them aware, as subjectively as possibly, with quantifiable evidence just how risky the project is. You can find a couple of risk assessment templates that could help from here:
www.pmconnection.com/modules.php?name=Web_Links&l_op=search&query=risk%20assessment&orderby=hitsD

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.