receptionist position

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (24)

mm in Lawrence, NY

91 months ago

hey,why is it so hard to find a job just being a receptionist??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Mariella in Stamford, CT

91 months ago

Take a look at the left-hand refinement margin of your results page. The Title option in the refinement margin lists the most common job titles matching your search. So if you search Receptionist in Atlanta, GA you'll notice one of the Title options is Receptionist (and has 98 job listings).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

vcewade in Atlanta, GA

91 months ago

Companies are down sizing everywhere. So what they do is get someone in the back office to also include receptionist in the job description. Often times you go to a company and they have no receptionist.

karen620 in Bryn Athyn, Pennsylvania

80 months ago

mm in Lawrence, NY said: hey,why is it so hard to find a job just being a receptionist??

one reason is a company doesn't want to pay someone for simply answering the phone. If they do it would probably pay minimum wage. Companies want you too at least 'look busy'at all times. plus we get to do all the 'grunt' work no one else really wants to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lady gayla in Portland, Oregon

80 months ago

donna headly in Fairfax, Virginia said: Because you must be black and if you are than they take one look at you and they said we'll call you. They only want blonde haired bimbo as the first person they're clients are greeted by.

you must of color , I'm not but it is still hard for me to get a job after I was hurt on the job they see me as not good enough , so it happens to all of us. good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

vljp in Mount Morris, Michigan

80 months ago

I have been looking for the same type of work and it is hard in my area 800 people apply for one job especially office work and one thing the temp agencies here are very slow because there
no jobs but you all hold and be encouraged my pray will be that all of you looking for office work will find it God Bless!!..and please pray for me:).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Evonne Mills in Memphis, Tennessee

80 months ago

I agree

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ladycascadia in Halsey, Oregon

73 months ago

donna headly in Fairfax, Virginia said: Because you must be black and if you are than they take one look at you and they said we'll call you. They only want blonde haired bimbo as the first person they're clients are greeted by.

I've been working as a receptionist off and on for more than 20 years. My race has NEVER been a problem. I've remained on the job when many of the so-called "bimbos" regardless of hair color or race get bored and quit. If you have the skills and personality and work ethic, the race doesn't matter! MM, please ignore this racist and sexist comment..keep on looking and the right job will come along.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Justin in Norristown, Pennsylvania

36 months ago

I have been having a hard time finding reception work as well.

I don't WANT to think that my gender is a factor, but whenever I'm calling to schedule interviews or get follow ups, it's always a woman.

My experience in the field is light, and I understand that. I'm just frustrated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jay in Southington, Connecticut

35 months ago

karen620 in Bryn Athyn, Pennsylvania said: one reason is a company doesn't want to pay someone for simply answering the phone. If they do it would probably pay minimum wage. Companies want you too at least 'look busy'at all times. plus we get to do all the 'grunt' work no one else really wants to do.

Receptionists just don't answer the phone...They assist with many other jobs as well as deal with clients, customers or patients.
They need to do and know alot more than they did in the 60's.
I am applying for all sorts of clerical and administrative and really can say that no one is calling for an interview....a mess out there...

Me Webster in mesquite, Texas

35 months ago

Many employers now want a 'receptionist' who DOES IT ALL...answer phones,run errands, be a personal assistant, be computer literate and have the ability speak other languages as they will be dealing with a more diverse customer base. Surprisingly, more than once I was even asked if I could drive a fork-lift, just in case the driver was out sick! There is no such thing as 'just a receptionist job' any more. Superwoman is a more fitting job title wouldn't you think?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jay in Southington, Connecticut

35 months ago

And yes, there is discrimination against age and race. Some places want bilingual only....Is that Italian, Polish, German or what? Of course they will deny it.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

Getting harder to keep a sense of humor about it all when the bills keep piling up. Let's not give up though. Game plan change...Marketing seems to be booming. Think I'll try for a short Certificate course maybe if I can find one while I look for work. I'd love to have a virtual office job. It can't hurt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Justin in Norristown, Pennsylvania

35 months ago

Good luck to you.

I actually have finally found a receptionist position (though it is temp, but beggars can't be choosers). I know I must get some looks, being a male receptionist at all, but so far, I've been doing a good job I think. The admin assistants have taken a good liking to me, and it's good to have some work friends.

35 months ago

Great to hear some good news for a change. Maybe the economy IS picking up. Congrats to you!

mer001@hotmail.com in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

35 months ago

For the last 3 weeks going on my 4th week, I also have been trying to find a Receptionist Job in the Ft. Lauderdale, Fl area. The same jobs are listed I have applied to everyone of them and I am not getting one single call for any of them. Do these job exist???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

I've applied to everything from part time to full time. Reception to Administrative Assistant to Data Entry to anything. I've had maybe 3 interviews in 3 years.
No offense but I'm kind of glad to hear than I'm not the only one not getting responses. I'm thinking, are they getting my resume? Is there something wrong with my resume? Unreal and very depressing. Demoralizing.

35 months ago

Jay in Southington...Chin up buddy. :-)I live this also but try and stay Positive & Fired UP! Look for inspiration everyplace and in everyone. People are not giving up and neither should we. Sometimes we may have to alter our plan or change it altogether but you know...that's ok. Stuff happens & things change. Roll with the punches and when you get knocked down, Pick yourself up, brush yourself off & start right over again! I got energized today just by hearing another person say they couldn't wait to go to work today. I don't know if I will go THAT far. LOL But, it won't be like this forever...just seems like it.

unemployed white girl in Irmo, South Carolina

32 months ago

You're crazy and racist, I am not black, not blonde, and not a bimbo, and I've been looking for a job for three months straight, interviews don't go any better for me, I have eleven years experience in the same job and these interviews aren't going any better for me, so what should I blame it on????????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

There is all kinds of discrimination out there in the work place, but Age Discrimination is the hardest to prove and I have been dealing with that for 15 years....once a woman hit's her 40's they don't want them....

And ME WEBSTER I've had my chin up for a year and a half, it doesn't pay the bills or the mortgage. Now I am panicking unless of course I want to work in retail and stand on my feet all day for $8 an hour...no thanks....

almond@cableoine.net in Biloxi, Mississippi

32 months ago

I was employed with the US Government for 27 years. I retired in 2009 but now I am bored and desire to return to work. I was an Executive Administrative Assistant to a number of cols on Keesler AFB, Biloxi, MS. I have now tried for several positions here in Biloxi and because of the age factor I have not had much luck. I have had the opportunity to go on several interviews and I am informed my qualifications are top-notch, but I am still waiting in the wings. My goal isto work as an Administrative Assistant utilizing my outstanding talents in customer service, but so far it has not happened. Duties with the government was in office management/communicator for high ranking visitors. Conducted secreterial and administrative duties during my tenure. Also I was the Union President of the American Federation of Government Employees and represented employees that had problems and won95% of all cases. All this info is on my resume,but still looking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Paige in Reno, Nevada

31 months ago

ladycascadia in Halsey, Oregon said: I've been working as a receptionist off and on for more than 20 years. My race has NEVER been a problem. I've remained on the job when many of the so-called "bimbos" regardless of hair color or race get bored and quit. If you have the skills and personality and work ethic, the race doesn't matter! MM, please ignore this racist and sexist comment..keep on looking and the right job will come along.

But it's true. What race you "look" like IS the first last and only thing everyone sees when they see you. And if you "look" like what they don't want to see behind that desk at a computer, then it's "thanks for stopping by."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shadira in Jersey City, New Jersey

31 months ago

Keep in mind that it is very difficult for employers to gauge prospective employee's skills. The way to prove to an employer that you have good computer skills is by getting Microsoft certified. Certifications in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Access take the guess work out of screening applicants and puts you at the top of the hiring list. Especially to combat age discrimination. They may make assumptions about your computer skills based on your age. Not accurate, nor fair, but it happens. Best of Luck!

Receptionist in Vancouver, British Columbia

17 months ago

Paige in Reno, Nevada said: But it's true. What race you "look" like IS the first last and only thing everyone sees when they see you. And if you "look" like what they don't want to see behind that desk at a computer , then it's "thanks for stopping by."

so true!! u must look the part. lots of other things too/ u gotta stand out from the competition... what makes u better?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.