HOW CAN I OBTAIN A RECEPTIONIST JOB WITHOUT FORMAL TRAINING? OR CAN I???

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 122)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Senior Citizen in Jacksonville, Florida

90 months ago

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you are really wasting your time, so I will attempt to help you... First of all, you will NEVER get a receptionist job if you do not even have the savvy to understand that typing in all caps is like shouting. A receptionist job these days is virtually the same as a secretary and nobody is going to hire you when you have no conception of how to even write a document without shouting. They will naturally assume you might shout on the phone or say something to a customer that is inappropriate. So... tone it done a notch. Next, don't go for the receptionist job right off the bat. Look for a job in the mail room or as some sort of office assistant and use the pay to support yourself while you show them your initiative by taking night classes in clerical work and computer use. You are also living in the middle of nowhere, unfortunately. Move yourself to Tampa or Orlando. Larger cities have more jobs in the field of office work. Just apply for positions as though you already live in the city and when you are hired, find a way to move there. Get a girlfriend to do the same thing and you both may be able to share a place to start out. Hope this helps. Good luck and NEVER be desperate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (121) / No (142) Reply - Report abuse

Longtime Customer Service Rep. in East Elmhurst, New York

90 months ago

You say your not being mean, but you know you are being mean. That is why you felt the need to say it.

To the wannabe receptionist, hang in there! It is tough getting into a new field. But if you are smart, confident, and willing to learn you can do it.

Senior Citizen in Kingwood, Texas said: Hate to say it but you DON'T have the skill of good communication and customer service. Here, it does not matter, but if you took a typing test for a potential employer and wrote run-on sentences, misspelled words, failed to capitalize the pronoun "I," left out punctuation, typed double words and used the poor English syntax that you have here, they wouldn't bother to call you back. Also, a part of customer service involves proper communication. You have a FEELING they might not think you are good for the job; you are SCARED to take the chance of testing reality; and you just FEEL it isn't the same thing??? The heart of good customer relations is listening to the customer and responding. They would never hire a person they thought would treat a customer based on just feelings and not use direct communication out of fear. Test reality for yourself... Go out and walk into a place of business like a large corporate office. See how the receptionist treats you and compare that person to the same receptionist in some small business where you may find the person is not even at the desk when you walk inside. Just tell them you are lost and ask for directions to a nearby place (perhaps the company you just visited). See the difference for yourself. I am not being mean, I am just telling you the facts. I would not have hired you for my receptionist/secretary. I wouldn't have the time to spend apologizing to clients for your work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

Lorraine Wassner in New York, New York

84 months ago

I am a senior citizen living in New York City. I am not ashamed of my age, 68, and I have recently found myself in a hole financially. Social Security is not enough to sustain me.
When I retired three years ago, I was working as an office manager in a very small office. I loved my job and would love to go back but unfortunately the office has since closed down. Now I am looking for a simple receptionist job, close to my apartment, but do not know where to start looking. I cannot afford to apply to an agency. People look at me like I have two heads when I say I want to go back to work; however, it is necessary financially or I will be in deep trouble.
I need help with suggestions. If anyone can give me some, I sincerely thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Job Search Dolphin in Tampa, Florida

84 months ago

Guide

Lorraine Wassner in New York, New York said: I am a senior citizen living in New York City. I am not ashamed of my age, 68, and I have recently found myself in a hole financially. Social Security is not enough to sustain me.
When I retired three years ago, I was working as an office manager in a very small office. I loved my job and would love to go back but unfortunately the office has since closed down. Now I am looking for a simple receptionist job, close to my apartment, but do not know where to start looking. I cannot afford to apply to an agency. People look at me like I have two heads when I say I want to go back to work; however, it is necessary financially or I will be in deep trouble.
I need help with suggestions. If anyone can give me some, I sincerely thank you.

Doctor's offices, Accounting Firms, Attorney's Office, Insurance Firms - often they have needs for a receptionist. Also, non profits may have needs - just salaries tend to be a bit lower.

My suggestion is to go to the yellow pages and find those closest to you. Then, just call them DIRECTLY! Let them know you have administrative experience and are looking for an receptionist or administrative support position.

1. Most people won't call companies directly, so you set yourself up as someone who makes extra effort.
2. Many companies/firms don't post jobs, so you may find opportunities others would not.

Good "opening line" - "I'm hoping you can help me. I have administrative support experience and am looking for a receptionist or office support position. Who could I talk to there to see if you have any openings?"

The person who answers the phone will usually forward you to the appropriate person, or will at least give you the person's name. If he/she says "we're not hiring," you can always ask if that person knows anyone who is!

Hope that helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Property Manager in West Palm Beach, Florida

84 months ago

Lorraine Wassner in New York, New York said: I am a senior citizen living in New York City. I am not ashamed of my age, 68, and I have recently found myself in a hole financially. Social Security is not enough to sustain me.

Lorraine, I'm 63 and am out of work. Don't get upset when HR or whomever interviews you and gets this weird look on their face. You might be qualified, but as some of the past posts are saying, we are over the hill. There is a big thread (discussion) on this website. Look for it. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Betsy in Jacksonville, Florida

84 months ago

Hi I just recently moved to Jacksonville and I am in my early 50's with experience in Human Resources would love to work from home just want to stay busy. Anyone out there with some good employer information looking for a good employee please let me know. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Erin

84 months ago

I was just wondering why the two people that responded to my question had to be so rude. What is it that you too do for A living? And better yet, why would you read those forums if you insist on being rude. I'm 24years old and I got clean from heroin 3 years ago and a year and a half later I became pregnant. I have made such a turn around in my life.

P.S.- DON'T READ QUESTIONS FROM FORUMS IF YOU CAN'T BE HELPFUL AND POLITE!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

Erin

84 months ago

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on where to start in obtaining a receptionist position. What sort of classes and training are required? I wanted to go the technical school route. Can someone give me an idea of how long training for this position would take? I have a two year old daughter and I'm married and I don't want to work as a sales associate for Macy's forever. The money is not what I need it to be either. I also would appreciate someone who could tell me at lease a ballpark figure a receptionist makes. I live in Florida and I know it is different state to state, but any help on these questions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time.

P.S. IF ANYONE IS GOING TO BE RUDE TO ME AGAIN, PLEASE SAVE IT. I WOULD LIKE REAL ANSWERS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Erin

84 months ago

Thank you Denver, Colorado I appreciate your words of encouragement!!

Erin- Florida

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Erin, I started out years and years ago as a receptionist in a small company part time. I had no training whatsoever. But, I found here in Florida nursing homes and assisted living are always looking for someone to answer the phones in the evenings. I did that and went upward from there. My second profession is in the medical field. Look up assisted living and skilled nursing website with google in your area. Then once at their websites see if you find a link for employment. You can also do Indeed.com with the key word skilled nursing etc. Use all keys words you can think of. I don't know what area of Florida you are in but you can try careerbuilder.com also. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

narai in Cranston, Rhode Island

84 months ago

Honestly, the best thing you can do is try to go to a community college and maybe get a certificate or an associates in office studies. I recently graduated from my local community college with an associates and I majored in Medical office studies. However, it was impossible to obtain a position because I didn't have any experience and I was asking for "too much money" I was only asking for $11. It seems that in my area the secretaries they hire are the ones who haven't gone to school, are very, very rude, and don't mind being paid $8. It's nice to hear that you have turned your life around and I wish you the best in your job search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Erin

84 months ago

Thank you so much for your insight. Your encouraging words are very meaningful to me. It's nice to see that total strangers care enough to want to give such wonderful and encouraging feelings to another complete stranger.

Thanks so much for the time you took to reply to my questions! GOD BLESS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Erin

84 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Erin: "I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on where to start in obtaining a receptionist position. What sort of classes and training are required? I wanted to go the technical school route. Can someone give me an idea of how long training for this position would take? I have a two year old daughter and I'm married and I don't want to work as a sales associate for Macy's forever. The money is not what I need it to be either. I also would appreciate someone who could tell me at lease a ballpark figure a receptionist makes. I live in Florida and I know it is different state to state, but any help on these questions would be greatly appreciated."

Deserved response to that poster.

Let me try to help. Can't you just draft up a resume and respond to ads? How 'bout posting your resume, anonymously, of course, on the job boards? The job boards haven't done much for me, but I suspect many more receptionists than paralegals are needed. Or else, just send letters of interest with your resume. As you know, many employers accept walk-in applications.

Your Macy's experience would show you have public contact skills.

Hope this was helpful. Once again, best of luck.

Thanks so much for the advice. I will try your advice. It sounds like good advice by the way. Thanks for your words of encouragment. (=

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Erin

84 months ago

Unemployed Property Manager in West Palm Beach, Florida said: Erin, I started out years and years ago as a receptionist in a small company part time. I had no training whatsoever. But, I found here in Florida nursing homes and assisted living are always looking for someone to answer the phones in the evenings. I did that and went upward from there. My second profession is in the medical field. Look up assisted living and skilled nursing website with google in your area. Then once at their websites see if you find a link for employment. You can also do Indeed.com with the key word skilled nursing etc. Use all keys words you can think of. I don't know what area of Florida you are in but you can try careerbuilder.com also. Good luck.

Thank you,thats a great idea. I appreciate your words of encouragment. (=

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Erin

84 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Sure. All Erin needs is to get her foot in the door. Once she proves herself, she can move up.

Thank you, I would love that to happen for me!! Even if it does not I know I'm driven enough to do what ever I have to do for my daughter and husband. Thanks for the confidence boost. I really needed that. (=

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Anthony curtis in Wilmington, Ohio

84 months ago

what can i do to help my self and others fine A JOB,i would like to start a program where i could help others can it be done?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Way to go Displaced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Anthony curtis in Wilmington, Ohio said: what can i do to help my self and others fine A JOB,i would like to start a program where i could help others can it be done?

You become a headhunter. But, from what I am getting from your post you seem to want to help people without being a headhunter. How about starting your own business? You can go from employement website to employement website searching for positions for your friends, then notify them about it. One person looking for a job is hard but if you have help in the search it becomes less of a hassle.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

carol adebisi in London, United Kingdom

80 months ago

Want to be a good reception in future kindly me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sherry in Ocala, Florida

79 months ago

Erin, I haven't seen any posts from you lately and wanted to know how your search is coming. I'm in FL too, and had one other suggestion. Go to your county's school administrative offices and find out if they have any vocational training for residents at minimal cost. I got a medical transcription course that at the time, was only $5.00 a course. It was at our county vo-tech school but residents got a special discount. They had many, many occupations to pick from but the school has since become private and pricey.

Also, some courses are taught evenings at the high school and they are low cost as well. Again, not sure where you live but your county school offices should be able to offer some help.

I liked the suggestion given by others about volunteering. I think hospitals and nursing homes are a great place to start, but also, animal groups (i.e., the local humane society) frequently need volunteer office support.

Last, since you are a single mom, go to your local Child & Family Services office and see if they have any educational assistance programs. I have a friend in the same situation and she got her AA degree from a local community college, practically at no cost. She just graduated and is in the process of being hired by the sheriff's department.

I wish you success. The FL job market is not as healthy as it was when I lived here in the 80s, and overall, national economy is at a real low. But you have your youth on your side -- as you may have seen, many older people are having a really tough time getting hired because of age discrimination.

Sherry

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Sherry, I gave up trying to find a job due to age discrimination. Figured I might as well sit by the pool and chill. Worked too many years and decided time is right for me to stop working. I'm not SS age but close to it. Besides, no one will hire old people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Oh my, in my days, Bubbles was an exotic dancer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mable in Lawnside, New Jersey

79 months ago

I got my job as a receptionist by starting out as a part time office clerk. One of the responsibilities of the clerk position was to cover for the receptionist's breaks. After a few months, the receptionist finished her schooling and left to be a nurse and I was offered the job. I have no college degrees, my last job before this was homemaker and before that was in fast food.

Receptionist is not a fun job. It is boring at times and anytime something goes wrong they come to you. But you cannot fix it because you cannot get up. 4:00 the phones stop ringing completly. I have already begged the secretaries to give me something to do but everyone is out of things to give me. I am so bored that I a replying to a post on a website I found while trying to figure out how much money my boss probably makes, to a post that has not gotten a reply in 19 days. I can't wait to get back to school so I can get a job that is a little more exciting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

carol adebisi in London, United Kingdom

78 months ago

i want to be tain as receptional dont mind volunter work to start

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Inferness in Brooklyn, New York

78 months ago

I have been a receptionist for over 8 years now. I started out through a temp agency, Erin, you should try them you can sometimes get luck through them. A lot of receptionsts do not get paid well but if you work at a law firm you will make the most you can for being a receptionst. I recently just started at a new firm and one of the receptionists must be about 63 years old. Unemployed, you should not feel that all jobs would discriminate against your age. It is illegal to do so and I believe your age can work in your favor with some places.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

I don't disagree with what you're saying. I was trying to point out how some companies would want to hire older candiates because it makes them look good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Edmund Evans in Jacksonville, Florida

78 months ago

How can hiring an older candidates make a company look good. I'd rather have ahottie behind the desk making that "first impression" rather than granny from Beverly Hillbillies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

It makes a company look good when they have older staff working because it shows they do not discriminate against age. This goes for race as well which is why so many black people are receptionists.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

So I'm dying to know if other receptionists deal with a ton of drama with their fellow receptionists? In my case I know there has been. I feel it is mainly due to the fact we have to rotate our breaks/lunches together and that we can not get up freely like anyone else can to even use the restroom! Would love to to start a venting session for receptionists!

Trying in Lubbock, Texas

78 months ago

Age discrimination is alive and well and being practiced. They just don't admit it, so there you have it. If they don't tell you then it isn't against the law!

I have bookkeeping and accounts manager experience, ran the business part of a dentist office but haven't worked in 10 yrs and I'm trying to go back to work at age 62. I've been looking for 4 months and have been to 3 temp agencies. I have had one interview! In four months, one interview! Talk about depressing. Two guys called and asked me questions (all the stuff they asked was on my resume) and acted like they wanted me to come for an interview and then I never heard from them. I do a cover letter and then a follow-up letter and nothing. I can't just give up, I desperately need to go to work. I had some reasons for not working but also have messed around and should have been trying to work sooner and I've been using my retirement so I won't have that and now have to work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Trying in Lubbock, Texas

78 months ago

What I meant is they don't admit to it being age discrimination so they don't think they are breaking the law since no one knows. They just look at the year I graduated high school and say to themselves, she's too old! I also don't think it is ignorance of the law, they know, that is why they don't even call us in for interviews. The one interview I had was one I got on my own.

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado: "Don't waste your time with agencies and headhunters."

I might as well try the agencies, can't hurt, don't have anything to lose and I have plenty of time when I'm not doing yard work! The lady I am working with now is about my age and she told me so very confidently 4 weeks ago that she would have me a job, but it hasn't happened. She has sent my resume to a few places for positions but of course the same no response that I've been getting--nothing but at least I get to talk to her. I called in to the other agencies like I was supposed to and never heard a word from them. I'm still looking and doing what I've been doing all along on my own in job searching. Out of four months of applying I have had 2 or 3 let me know that I didn't get a position. I guess that is unheard of these days.

Most of them are email or fax or apply on a website and some don't give the company name but I am a whiz on google using the domain of the email address! Why do you say use the US Mail? Even when I go in to fill out an application I never see the hiring person, just some young gal chewing gum.

The unemployment rate here is low but it isn't doing me any good. There just aren't a lot of jobs in this area.

Thanks for your comments, finding this website/board at least lets me know I'm not alone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Trying in Lubbock, Texas

78 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Trying in Lubbock, Texas: "What I meant is they don't admit to it being age discrimination so they don't think they are breaking the law since no one knows. They just look at the year I graduated high school and say to themselves, she's too old! I also don't think it is ignorance of the law, they know, that is why they don't even call us in for interviews. The one interview I had was one I got on my own."

It is ignorance of the law in every way. Hiring managers are supposed to know the law lest they risk violating the ADEA and suffering its penalties. The EEOC should rain fire on these ignoramuses good and hard.

In the meantime, take all dates off your resume so your age is less obvious. Try submitting a functional resume; after all, one's skills and abilities are one's stock in trade. The employment process has changed. It is now an exclusionary process. Whatever you do, don't help them exclude you.

I still contend that they do know the law but they know no one will report them b/c we can't prove it so they continue to discriminate.

I had thought about taking the dates off, doubt it will do any good, however if they do ever get a look at me I don't look 62. I do still have to list when I worked and I worked for our family business in 1972. That dates me but that job and the one I had for 6 yrs, 10 years ago is all I have ever worked but I have a lot of experience. Oh I have had a few short jobs but I'm not including them.

Why do you say use the US Mail? It usually says email, fax, in person or gives a box #.

In case it shows my attitude is really bad this afternoon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Thankful and Blessed in Spartanburg, South Carolina

78 months ago

Lorraine,
Are there temp agencies where you live? You do not have to pay to sign on with a temp agency. They get paid by the employer to find you a position. They will also test you and find out what your strengths are and try to match you with a position. They work with senior citizens who are trying to find part time positions to supplement their income. Many temp positions are temp to permanment hire meaning if the company likes you, they will hire you permanently. Look in the yellow pages under employment agency or Temp agency. Good luck and best wishes!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Edmund Evans in Jacksonville, Florida said: How can hiring an older candidates make a company look good. I'd rather have ahottie behind the desk making that "first impression" rather than granny from Beverly Hillbillies.

That is a very rude and sexist comment. I am a mom and wife in her early 50's and just as qualified as a "hottie" that may not have my computer skills, verbal and oral communication skills, education or job experience. I hope you are not ever in a position of hiring people- I would hate to work for someone like you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Edmund Evans

78 months ago

Thankful and Blessed in Spartanburg, South Carolina said: That is a very rude and sexist comment. I am a mom and wife in her early 50's and just as qualified as a "hottie" that may not have my computer skills, verbal and oral communication skills, education or job experience. I hope you are not ever in a position of hiring people- I would hate to work for someone like you.

Well I apologize if I spoke the TRUTH! As long as the person has the necesssary skill set to perform the duties they are hired for and they look hot they are hired. Pretty people who take care of themselves always have a bit of an edge in life, unfortunately even if they are as dumb as a bag of hammers. I know the truth hurts but if your hot and smart your hired !!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Trying in Lubbock, Texas

78 months ago

Edmund Evans said: Well I apologize if I spoke the TRUTH! As long as the person has the necesssary skill set to perform the duties they are hired for and they look hot they are hired. Pretty people who take care of themselves always have a bit of an edge in life, unfortunately even if they are as dumb as a bag of hammers. I know the truth hurts but if your hot and smart your hired !!

I may be 62 but I'm no frumpy granny from Beverly Hillbillies. My personal motto is "I'm never getting old". I am age/height proportionate, actually I am thin, have brown hair with blonde highlights and dress in style. No I don't wear short skirts up to my rear or low cut blouses, I never did that when I was young. I have never considered myself a 'hottie' because that is not where my priorities are. I have always taken care of myself. But I can work circles around any hottie! I am great at multi tasking and I get bored if I'm not working so when I go to work I don't show up to eat breakfast and surf the internet. Knowing my age you would be very surprised if you saw me. But no one will ever know that if I can't get an interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Trying in Lubbock, Texas

78 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said:
You don't have to list **dates of employment** as such on your resume. Don't forget, your resume is your document. Your resume is designed to get you past the HR conehead gatekeepers and to an interview. At that point you may have to give dates. You will have to give dates if you must fill out an app. But at least you will be a human being that is communicating with another, hopefully, human being, as opposed to being but a piece of paper that can be flippantly tossed aside - that is, if you serve them that opportunity.

Take a look at the functional resume format at this link. You'll see how it treats periods of employment.

www.bankrate.com/nsc/news/pf/20060517b1.asp

Thanks you have been a lot of help to me. I have reworked my resume and taken all dates out, hopefully that will help.

Of course, you must follow directions on contacting the employer. Absent such directions, I'm old fashioned. I think resumes and cover letters printed on nice paper, with your signature in real ink, and arriving in matching envelopes present better than fax or e-mail. With so many Resume Rabbits blasting resumes your materials could be deleted as spam. Faxed materials appear dull and bland, or can get lost or chewed up in the fax machine.

I see your point about mailing a resume with a nice address printed envelope etc.

I really appreciate your help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Trying in Lubbock, Texas

78 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Trying in Lubbock, Texas: "[S]o when I go to work I don't show up to eat breakfast and surf the internet...."

You mean you're not also texting your buds, yakking to your BFFs on your cell, or reading YouTube or MySpace? :D

hahaha too funny. I have something better than My Space, it is an online diary and I've made some good friends. A bunch of us from all over the US even met in Vegas in '04. I do like You Tube, but no not at work. There is one lady on the diary website about 8 yrs younger than me (looks older though ha ha) and she always writes her diary entry first thing every morning <U>at work</U> and has been complaining that her work has blocked Photobucket where a lot of us host our pictures. She moans that she never gets on the diary at home to see the pictures, no she plays some game at home till all hours and is posing as someone younger.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Trying in Lubbock, Texas

78 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: You bet. Just some different food for thought.

Best of luck with your job search.

Thanks, you too.

My youngest son lived in the Denver area for 6 yrs and worked for Lockheed Martin until he got the bright idea to apply for a job in England and moved in June 05. He loved Denver but wanted to travel. He has. He met a girl from Australia 3 months after moving over there and they got married in Dec 07 in Australia (I didn't like Australia, too much fish and water). The plan is to have a baby and move to Australia in 2010 to live. Just found out they are pregnant but it is breaking my heart that they will live 9,000 miles away with my only grandchild. He misses the snowboarding and skiing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Trying in Lubbock, Texas

78 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: He may be missing Lockheed Martin as well, especially considering its great success with the Phoenix Mars lander and being the prime contractor on the Orion project. On the other hand, many people don't like working for LockMart.

He has liked it as far as I know. He left NASA in Houston b/c first wife didn't like it down there. They put him on an accelerated career path and he is doing very well. Has been to Washington, DC several times and is coming to Denver for some training this summer. Have no idea what kind of work aerospace engineers can find in Australia.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Right On! You go Girl!

Trying in Lubbock, Texas

78 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: You bet. Just some different food for thought.

Best of luck with your job search.

I got a job today!!! Emailed my 'new' resume on Saturday and had a guy call this morning at 7:30. He was impressed with my qualifications. The way the new resume listed them made them stand out more. I will be doing accounts receivable, payroll, do some posting and answer the phone as back up for another girl. I do have benefits also. It is a family owned company and he pays very well. He wanted to hire me at the interview but he said he had another person to interview. He called and offered me the job 1 hr 20 min after I left the interview. I feel sure he didn't even have time to call references.

I start in the morning b/c the girl in the position is leaving after this week.

Thank you again for your help. I'll think of you often and send good wishes your way hoping you find something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Trying in Lubbock, Texas

78 months ago

Trying in Lubbock, Texas said: I got a job today!!! Emailed my 'new' resume on Saturday and had a guy call this morning at 7:30. He was impressed with my qualifications. The way the new resume listed them made them stand out more. I will be doing accounts receivable, payroll, do some posting and answer the phone as back up for another girl. I do have benefits also. It is a family owned company and he pays very well. He wanted to hire me at the interview but he said he had another person to interview. He called and offered me the job 1 hr 20 min after I left the interview. I feel sure he didn't even have time to call references.

I start in the morning b/c the girl in the position is leaving after this week.

Thank you again for your help. I'll think of you often and send good wishes your way hoping you find something.

I forgot to say I will be working for a Pest Control company and very casual office which is very important to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Paul Bunyon in Marietta, Georgia said: Best wishes Grandma-ma's ! If your not hot & spicy get off the blog and read your latest AARP magazine while sipping prune juice

If you are trying to be rude and sarcastic, you succeeded. Not very helpful or encouraging, however. Why are you on this blog? Most of us on here are trying to get tips and encouragement about finding employment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nelly in Toronto, Ontario

77 months ago

Hi...Just keep looking...no matter how many no's you hear ...that means that you are getting that much closer to a yes. When I got my first Receptionist job, I was fresh out of college and never worked any clerical position. However I interviewed and got a Receptionist position paying $12 /hr. I had no experience and the first hour was definitely a learning experience. However if you believe that you can do it and know that in your heart, it will happen. Just keep believing, In this day and age of computers there is no need to feel insecure about grammar or spelling mistakes....Spell Check. Also you can learn a lot from the net (formatting docs correctly.) I started as a Receptionist, I've done Legal Admin, HR Recruiter (once again no experience) made it to Account Manager....how you may ask. First step...when walking into an interview know that you are going to get the position ....believe in yourself ....have faith. No matter how Corporate or extravagant the environment is. The key is to believe in you as there will always be people who would like to out your fire...perhaps because it took them 40-50K and 10 years in school to get to the position where they are in life. Schools great but for someone who has a kid it sounds to me like you need to be making money right now. So go get that Receptionist position and stop wasting time w/t individuals who are just mean. As when you do become a Receptionist in the Corporate world ...there will be enough of those people that you have to put up w/t. Also to all you negative ppl putting down someone who is clearly trying to do better in life not just for herself but for her child....Get a life we are all human beings....all on this earth....trying to do better. I don't understand we down them about being single mothers, high school drop outs, welfare collectors however as soon as they try to better themselves...We dump on them some more. As though we got to where we are w/t no help from anyone. spelck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tiffany in Evansville, Indiana

77 months ago

I have been a certified nursing assistant for six years. I have been on a lot of interviews, and turned in numerous resumes, and still no job offer. I have been searching for a clerical position for months and cannot seem to get my feet off the ground. I have been counseled by the career advisor at my college, and now she is even at lost at why nobody will hire me. Will no one really hire me until I graduate? I hope that is not true. Does anyone have any helpful advice? I sure would appreciate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

I'm hot and spicey but no job lol wink wink

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Property Manager in Pompano Beach, Florida

77 months ago

I'm sorry that last remark was suppose to be funny but it sure does not look good after I read it. My apology to anyone who took an offense.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

A in Arlington, Virginia

77 months ago

It's the battle of the unemployed property managers

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

It's the same person. Seems that Indeed goes nuts once in awhile and puts my location in different places.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.