Disgusted of "All" These Agencies

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (26)

TRIED EVERYTHING in Sewaren, New Jersey

86 months ago

I am just tired that we are wasting our lives going on interviews but to no avail. I am so disgusted that I just will not go anymore on interviews until somoene will assure me that I will have a job. If I was working before for so many years that means that I knew how to do my job. Not only in one language but three. They only thing is that these Agencies and Employers only want to pay nothing and give more responsibilities. What do you do think we are animals?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Still looking forward in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

86 months ago

TRIED EVERYTHING in Sewaren, New Jersey said: I am just tired that we are wasting our lives going on interviews but to no avail. I am so disgusted that I just will not go anymore on interviews until somoene will assure me that I will have a job. If I was working before for so many years that means that I knew how to do my job. Not only in one language but three. They only thing is that these Agencies and Employers only want to pay nothing and give more responsibilities. What do you do think we are animals?

I'm dealing with the same kind of issues-I am pregnant and am fully qualified for the positions I have applied for and I have the experience and still have not been hired. Its upsetting but I keep on going forward and looking for the positive because I know when I get hired I am where I should be-dont give up!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paula in Columbus, Ohio

86 months ago

If you are getting interviews but not getting jobs, it sounds to me like you may need to perfect your interviewing skills. You obviously look good on paper but don't come across well in person. If you refuse to go on any more interviews, how likely are you to become employed? No one is going to guarantee you a job going IN to the interview. If your resume lists "positive attitude" as one of your attributes...I suggest you delete it.

TRIED EVERYTHING in Sewaren, New Jersey said: I am just tired that we are wasting our lives going on interviews but to no avail. I am so disgusted that I just will not go anymore on interviews until somoene will assure me that I will have a job. If I was working before for so many years that means that I knew how to do my job. Not only in one language but three. They only thing is that these Agencies and Employers only want to pay nothing and give more responsibilities. What do you do think we are animals?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Still looking forward in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

86 months ago

Actually I am very available for work-I'm just in the process of incubating someone very special. I have come to the realization that I wouldnt want to work for some employers just for that simply fact of what you said. We must help each other and show some compassion depending on the circumstance. Rememeber the saying: Untill you have walked in someone elses shoes, you really have know idea where they have come from or where they are going-in the end its what we make it. Sometimes you just have to give that person a chance-you could be missing out on a great employee:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nalla in ?

86 months ago

I agree, the same happened to me when I was pregnant. Good luck with your baby.

frustrated in Eatontown, New Jersey

85 months ago

I've been looking for work for a couple of months now, and I'm really starting to feel like crap. No one want to give me a chance, and it makes me feel like I just want to give up, but I can't . I have a 9 year old. It just amazes me how hard it is for people to find work, the people who raelly want to work, but the slouches of the world can find a job with no problem. Things have got to change - I can't hold on much longer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jane in Dunbarton, New Hampshire

85 months ago

I have been looking for a job for six months. Used to work for Catholic church but they are exempt from paying into unemploy. insurance so I can't collect. I hate employers who list postings and request you apply by email and then never respond to the email. At least respond with; not qualified, not open, etc. A standard reply would let me know that they received my app but don't want me. It only takes few seconds.

Sherrie in Austin, Texas

85 months ago

Throw me a lifesaver!!! What a sinking ship this job search has been...for many of us. My heart goes out to all of you, including myself! Oh boy---how about almost 3 years of unstable jobs, no health insurance and a baby boomer?

It surely does take its toll--family, finances, self esteem, you name it. I agree about the temp agencies--they have become very shameful. But, it wasn't always like this. I remember my mother going to an agency to apply for a temp job and by the end of the day she had a placement for several weeks. What the heck is this screening, maybe an interview (don't hear back anyhow) AND then ANOTHER one or two interviews with the company who has contracted with temp agency. "Just Shoot Me."

NO MORE TEMP AGENCIES.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Michele

85 months ago

I agree - I have applied to 10 temp agencies and only one has called me for a job to pay 11/hour and travel 40 miles to the job then 40 miles back to my home. I have not heard from any of the other temp agencies. I'm very qualified BUT can't not get a job. I have submitted (by email and faxes) resumes and don't hear anything back from them. Go on interviews and don't hear from then either. If you want to have a hard worker that know what they are doing you need to pay more then 9/hour. this is taking a toll on my family --

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

June in Windham, Ohio

84 months ago

I agree too! I'm also a baby boomer and have many years as a secretary or administrative assistant. Four of the most recent companies I've worked for have gone bankrupt and one cut my hours from 40 to 15. I was driving 70 miles round trip and they expected me to work 15 hours a week? I don't think so!!! The last company I worked for that just went bankrupt was a major builder out of Florida - they had been in business since 1912. This economy is far from being stable. I haven't been able to get another permanent position since last February. Another issue that always concerned me is these companies that want to remain "confidential". We have no idea who we are sending the fax, email or mail to. They know everything about us from our resume....yet we don't even know their names??? How dangerous is that? In this day and age that's scarey and I really don't think that should be allowed!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

June in Windham, Ohio

84 months ago

To the Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado: Thank you so much for your very helpful input. The sad part of that is....is why do we have to go through all the cloak and dagger private investigator stuff to send a resume? I do understand that they don't want a bunch of unwanted calls but who after all is the one needing and advertising for an office worker? They need to make it clear in the ad they don't want phone calls - we can read. We're just trying to get a job!

We're living in an age when we can be mugged or raped just walking from the house to the car and we're sending resumes out with our name, phone number, email address and even sometimes our home address to a nameless company because THEY want to remain "confidential". How do we know we are actually mailing resumes to a COMPANY if all they give us is a post office box number? I really would like to see Monster,Indeed Careerbuilders and ALL newspapers put an end to the "confidentially unknown companies" and let us know who we are sending resumes to. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks again for your help.

Lou in Lairdsville, Pennsylvania

83 months ago

You should be thankful you get that far. I have sent at least 15 resumes out over the last two months. I got so tired of not hearing back, I started to ask, very professionally on my cover letter, if the hiring company would contact me either way if my resume interested them or not. I still never hear back from these employeers. I think it is very wrong to take the time to personally your cover letter and resume for so many companies and then not receive the courtesy of a phone call or letter. I don't care if they received 50 resumes. The long and short of it is I would not want to work for a company that treats prospective employees like that anyway!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lillith in Dayton, Ohio

83 months ago

Lou,

In this job market, even 15 resumes in one week doesn't cut it. I hope you meant to type 150 resumes in the past two months. It used to be that you could expect to get one interview for every 10 resumes you sent out. Nowadays, my estimate is it's more like 1 interview for every 50 resumes you send out, whether they are well qualified or not.

One thing I've learned the hard way after 3 months of looking. Probably 90 - 95% of recruiters / employers don't look at the resumes they receive. The resumes go into a database and only resumes that match certain keywords get pulled.

My advice, look up job descriptions in your field of interest. Note the buzz words that everyone seems to use. Use those buzz words to search indeed.com and it'll give you an idea of how many job listings are looking for people with those skills. Then, rewrite your resume and throw in those buzz words (assuming you got the skills of course). These are the keywords that recruiters look for.. as long as your resume matches those keywords, you will get a call. The more you can get in your resume, the better off you will be.

As for those cover letters, don't bother. Create a generic version unless you're applying to a smaller company where cover letters are more likely to be read. Oh yeah, even if a keyword(s) search pulls up your resume, most recruiters still don't read it. Assuming you get this far, be prepared to still have to go over your skills and everything in your resume when they do call you up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lillith in Dayton, Ohio

83 months ago

On the other side of the coin, I should add that each job posting gets upwards of 100 or 200 applications. Most of them are from people who lack the required skills, but are sure they can do the job with a little training.

Employers don't want to train. Period. They also don't want to waste their time digging through all the resume fluff to get to the few with the right skills, hence the use of software. If everyone applied only to those jobs they are very well qualified for, recruiters won't have to dig through fluff and might actually take the time to read cover letters and resumes. Unfortunately, that ain't the case.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lou in Tamaqua, Pennsylvania

83 months ago

I should have mentioned, I live in a one horse town and submit resumes to the surrounding one red light towns when they advertise in the four page newspaper for a receptionist in a veterinary office.

83 months ago

You may have misread my post. I did not in any way, shape or form "demand". I very professionally, politely "asked".
"I got so tired of not hearing back, I started to ask, very professionally on my cover letter, if the hiring company would contact me either way if my resume interested them or not."

Thank You

83 months ago

I live in a rural community far away from major cities. I need to stay close to my elderly parents for now, so my resumes are going to veterinary offices in all the one red light towns surrounding my home town. I'm not in an ideal situation but I'm making the most of it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Although I'm grateful that you have taken time to reply to my posts, it is interesting to me how easily you inaccurately assess my statements in a negative way. An attitude? Again, I ASKED. Mother may I? Could you please? Is it possible? If you read my original post, you will realize that no where was an attitude implied. You are the one that imagines an attitude. I am a humble person that has been an employee and an employeer. Thank you for wishing me luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

I've been happy to try to help you. Again, I wish you the best. You deserve it.

I didn't realize that I had asked for help; not that I don't need it! Divine intervention would be perfect about now. In this particular thread I was simply stating facts and expressing my opinions. Thank You and I hope the very best life has to offer you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

junella in Milford, Massachusetts

82 months ago

Michele said: I agree - I have applied to 10 temp agencies and only one has called me for a job to pay 11/hour and travel 40 miles to the job then 40 miles back to my home. I have not heard from any of the other temp agencies. I'm very qualified BUT can't not get a job. I have submitted (by email and faxes) resumes and don't hear anything back from them. Go on interviews and don't hear from then either. If you want to have a hard worker that know what they are doing you need to pay more then 9/hour. this is taking a toll on my family --

I know how you you feel about agencies. I feel like they are calling the young ones and forget about me! I've been Administrative Asst/Receptionist for 15 yrs. and I have gone through about 6 agencies and the worst thing is the have alot of the good jobs and you just hate calling them because they want you to do a 1 or 2 day thing and I want full time and low travel. I'm going to lose my house if I don't get something soon. Its very hard to stay positive when noone calls you back and you can't find a thing. The unemployment outook is bleak!

junella in Milford, Massachusetts

82 months ago

junella in Milford, Massachusetts said: I know how you you feel about agencies. I feel like they are calling the young ones and forget about me! I've been Administrative Asst/Receptionist for 15 yrs. and I have gone through about 6 agencies and the worst thing is the have alot of the good jobs and you just hate calling them because they want you to do a 1 or 2 day thing and I want full time and low travel. I'm going to lose my house if I don't get something soon. Its very hard to stay positive when noone calls you back and you can't find a thing. The unemployment outook is bleak!

I am getting so depressed about not finding a reception/administrative that I feel like putting an ad in my local newspaper saying someone please if anyone is looking for a rceptionist PLEASE CALL ME!! My house is falling apart and desperately needs work and I can't do it on one paycheck. I have a herniated disk and can't stand on my feet or I would be flipping burgers if I had to. I really feel like screaming. You are right Michele, I have lost my confidence and I'm 54 and not getting any younger. Now a recession? We are all going to need therapy pretty soon. Prayers don't work either. I've lost faith too! Sorry to sound so grim but I am and there nothing wrong with it right now.

ms jones in South Glens Falls, New York

78 months ago

Michele said: I agree - I have applied to 10 temp agencies and only one has called me for a job to pay 11/hour and travel 40 miles to the job then 40 miles back to my home. I have not heard from any of the other temp agencies. I'm very qualified BUT can't not get a job. I have submitted (by email and faxes) resumes and don't hear anything back from them. Go on interviews and don't hear from then either. If you want to have a hard worker that know what they are doing you need to pay more then 9/hour. this is taking a toll on my family --

YEAH TALK ABOUT ANGENCIES THEIR USELESS. U GO IN THERE U ASKED THEM IF THEY HAVE OPENINGS FOR MEDICAL RECEPTIONIST. THEY SAY OH YEAH DO YOU HAVE TIME TO FILL OUT APPLICANT. YOU SAY YES FILL OUT THE APPLICANT. TAKE A TYPING TEST PASS IT AND THEN HAVE A INTERVIEW WHICH ALL SUM UP TO BE ABOUT A HOUR OF YOU TIME. THEY ASKED YOU IF THEY CAN CALL YOUR PREVIOUS JOB & REFERENCE U SAY YES U CAN. THEN THEY TELL U THAT THERE GOING TO CALL U THE NEXT DAY. FRIDAY COMES NO CALL YOU CALL TWICE THERE OUT TO LUNCH AND WENT TO A JOB FAIR. GO FIGURE!!! THEY WANT TO PAY YOU 9HR AND CHARGE THE COMPANY 16HR HUH. USELESS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

truwisdom@gmail.com in Aurora, Colorado

43 months ago

frustrated in Eatontown, New Jersey said: I've been looking for work for a couple of months now, and I'm really starting to feel like crap. No one want to give me a chance, and it makes me feel like I just want to give up, but I can't . I have a 9 year old. It just amazes me how hard it is for people to find work, the people who raelly want to work, but the slouches of the world can find a job with no problem. Things have got to change - I can't hold on much longer

Hey, don't give up.....hang in there. I know it's hard, psychologically and to our self esteem. But we have what the youth don't have "experience" and wisdom. I would suggest you contact local temporary agencies and express your interest in getting any job at this juncture. You have a young person that is depending on you. You have to be the FIRE and LIGHT example and show them we don't "GIVE-UP" when life gets hard. Keep putting yourself out there, keep telling yourself
"I don't know how, but I know I am getting a new job soon"; BELIEVE in YOU and THIS NEW JOB OPPORTUNITY. Let this give you a boost, claim your power, make yourself more visible, stop into places you think you'd like to work, and say hello I wonder are you hiring, or would you keep my resume on hand for future opportunities. Then stop back from time to time to let them know you're still interested and show enthusiasm (even if you don't feel it if you fake it enough, you will start to believe it because you will start having fun while faking it) Yes it's hard, all of us displaced workers are having a tough time, but WE CAN'T GIVE UP - WE HAVE THE SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, AND ABILITY TO DO THE JOB BETTER EVEN IF WE HAVE TO TAKE A CUT IN SALARY TO GET STARTED AGAIN. *** DON'T EVER GIVE UP, BELIEVE IN YOURSELF AND OPPORTUNITIES WILL START TO MANIFEST INTO YOUR LIFE. *** >> This is not shangri-la boogie this is TRUTH if you BELIEVE YOU WILL ATTRACT - Rekindle your FAITH, I believe in YOU!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Madalene in White Plains, New York

41 months ago

I lost my job as an administrative secretary in a school October 2010. I have been to 12 agencies, sent out over 350 resumes/applications on line. I have had not ONE as for an interview. I hate to admit it but I am 58 years of age with over 25 years of experience in more industries than I care to mention...I have been collecting unemployment and working part time on an as needed basis about 9-12 hours a week for $12 an hour as a personal assistant. This to pay our medical insurance (it doesn't cover even half of the $800 a month cost!) I report to the unemployment office again tomorrow...then I hit the pavement to every employment office I can get into and hand them my resume. The problem today is many fold...for every position they get between 50 and 500 resumes....most go in the circular file...then there are us boomers....they do not want us and they should! We have the life experience, knowledge and skills and can run circles around the young 'uns that are running these offices! Lastly, if you do not meet a person in person...you cannot assume resumes are all there are to that person... BTW, there are NO JOBS!Those that are advertised, employment agencies etc. are full of it! These jobs do not exist!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paige in Davis, California

31 months ago

frustrated in Eatontown, New Jersey said: I've been looking for work for a couple of months now, and I'm really starting to feel like crap. No one want to give me a chance, and it makes me feel like I just want to give up, but I can't . I have a 9 year old. It just amazes me how hard it is for people to find work, the people who raelly want to work, but the slouches of the world can find a job with no problem. Things have got to change - I can't hold on much longer

If you're in New Jersey then the reason is that the slouches of the world all "knew someone." Period.

Lori in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

31 months ago

Jus wen you think you have reached the end of your rope...tie a knot and swing for awile...sumthing better is waiting for you-really it is:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.