interviews for receptionist....why so many?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Deb

86 months ago

I've been looking for receptionist work after about an 8 year job stint. Have things changed a lot with me having to do 2 or 3 interviews and in TWO places, meet with the CEO of the company? This is reception, an important job but not management.
Anyone else have this happen? I have my third with another CEO next week...always makes me nervous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Deb

86 months ago

I see your point. Being in my 40's, although, not "old" looking I think, might not work for me, but I found with women my age, they like the maturity factor. The work ethic of the young is not like it used to be. At my office, people don't show up and don't call, quit with no notice, whine a lot, etc.
But I think as you stated, being prepared and confident is a bid thing. Selling myself isn't a strong point of mind, always told to be modest, etc. growing up, but that doesn't work in interviews!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lynn in Lansdale, Pennsylvania

83 months ago

I have been unemployed for over three months. I am a mature woman but look much younger, I've been told. I present a professional appearance and have been told my resume is very impressive. I ask questions on the interview and have excellent references and a letter of recommendation. I always smile and leave the interview feeling positive knowing I did my best. I won't say anything negative about a former employer and after the interview I always send a thank you email and have done all the right things. So can someone tell me what I am missing. I welcome your comments.
Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Deb

83 months ago

Lynn, I don't know exactly what type of places you are looking, but it's hard out there. Sometimes they are going to hire a "friend of a friend" from the beginning, but they have to make it look good (if it is a larger corp. or business) Sometimes it's pay, I know when I gave an estimate, it was too high for this office I was interviewing with and although I said I would take a 1.00 less an hour, I feel they thought I would leave when I could.
I also think some employers don't "mature" women, sometimes for superficial reasons, sometimes because of pay, sometimes because the rest of the office is young.
But you are doing all the right things. I was looking for 3 months too. My job now in a doctors office is "okay", not everyone is very nice, but I try to do my work and be grateful I'm working. In my situation, I stressed how I don't get into the office gossip, the "dramas" and they liked that. It's hard though in reality, when everyone just does that all day!

Also, make sure you tell people you're looking...I missed a great dental office position with a great boss because he didn't know I was looking. My friend was just hired by her dentist when she went for a checkup. You never know.

Keep us posted and keep plugging.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lynn in Lansdale, Pennsylvania

83 months ago

Thanks Deb I appreciated your advice. Went on another interview this morning. It's Tuesday and I'm 2 for 2. Will still keep plugging.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

vanessa pederson in Largo, Florida

83 months ago

I have computer skills,people skills,able to use multi tasked phones,very organized,energetic,outgoing,willing to learn something different everyday,im a very open minded individual person,im dependable as well you can count on me. I hope to hear from your agency soon thanks for your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tina

82 months ago

Lynn in Lansdale, Pennsylvania said: I have been unemployed for over three months. I am a mature woman but look much younger, I've been told. I present a professional appearance and have been told my resume is very impressive. I ask questions on the interview and have excellent references and a letter of recommendation. I always smile and leave the interview feeling positive knowing I did my best. I won't say anything negative about a former employer and after the interview I always send a thank you email and have done all the right things. So can someone tell me what I am missing. I welcome your comments.
Thanks.

I also am in my 40's, I have been in the Title Industry 22 years and was laid off in October, I am now trying to get any position with a company and I started looking at being a receptionist again. I always have great interviews and then salary becomes the issue the companies feel that once something becomes available in your line of work that you will not stay with them. Also I have ran into a couple of situations where the people I have interviewed with are so frumpy looking with no personality and I really believe that they feel you are going to take their job and I never get anyfurther in the interview process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Clinton, Massachusetts

77 months ago

I've been going through the same thing. I get interviews, their pay range and mine are pretty close, we briefly discuss benefits, and we get to the all important health insurance issue. When they find out that yes I will NEED health insurance they get all sad and mention that most of the people in their company have their own insurance and they could come up with something for me if need be. Two days later I get the "Thank you for your interest but we've decided to go with someone else" email. I'm a single female, and granted it is smaller companies that I usually interview with, but I've had that question asked at a few larger corporations as well. Might just be a MASS thing - health insurance is Mandatory here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.